Southwick, WTF...

DrSweden
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 10:42pm
Got up 5 am today, loaded the bike and gear, went to a buddy and reloaded the stuff in his car/trailer to save some gas and to hang out. More than half way to the track, about 08:00 we get a call from his brother telling us that practice is not going to happen. Rain and saturdays racing has made the track un-rideable and the guy there don't have a bulldozer to fix it. Seems he hires a company preparing the track?!?!

This means he looses about 10k on practice fees, and 300 persons are getting pissed. A majority didn't go on the web this morning to find this out, instead they went there in vane or got the news while driving or loading...

Seems like bad business to not be prepared for a thing like this? Not possible to call some persons with bulldozer and offer then 5k to fix the track?

So if I don't compete, next time will be in august...

|
GIwasB4
6/13/2010 12:07pm
You were competing in practice?
J.F.S
6/13/2010 12:11pm
Sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to the Southwick report and pics Dry
MXEditor
6/13/2010 12:15pm
Damn! and I know a few folks who may have just up and gone there this morning...is there a rescheduled date?
MXEditor
6/13/2010 12:36pm
And what's worse is that they said they would be open rain or shine...I wonder if this was Ralph talking? He's a really good guy and maybe this was unexpected?

From FaceBook:

Brett Nagel I'd like to reserve a spot for practice on Sunday the 13th, Thanks! Practice is rain or shine?

Yesterday at 6:05pm · Flag.Southwick Motocross 338 Rain or shine yes.. BAAd track conditions .. Will post on profile and website...

The Shop

mattbmx63
6/13/2010 12:52pm
After all this rain it seems logical to call first or check in the morning. We got way more rain than expected last night. Also you can't just go groom the track that early in the morning. It takes quite a while, and even longer after all the rain and the problems that brings. It rained most of yesterday and last night, did anyone expect the track to actually be any fun anyways?
mt798
6/13/2010 1:44pm
Always call before you haul...
Chris_ONeal
6/13/2010 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:24pm
Dam that sucks!

After what happened to Jojo at the national years ago, nothing surprises me with their actions.
FTW 674
6/13/2010 1:58pm
How does southwick get cancelled, i thought it was lierop sand!
DrSweden
6/13/2010 3:30pm
GIwasB4 wrote:
Prolly language issues from my side. I mean, if you compete you can go there quite often, but if you just want to practice, next time is august...

Maybe you understood all the time? If not, now you get what I mean? Smile
DrSweden
6/13/2010 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:24pm
mattbmx63 wrote:
After all this rain it seems logical to call first or check in the morning. We got way more rain than expected last night. Also you...
After all this rain it seems logical to call first or check in the morning. We got way more rain than expected last night. Also you can't just go groom the track that early in the morning. It takes quite a while, and even longer after all the rain and the problems that brings. It rained most of yesterday and last night, did anyone expect the track to actually be any fun anyways?
Or you can just leave it as it is and let the riders decide if they want to run it or not. After all it's motocross damn it, not figure skating... Sure the track would have been crappy, but sometimes you should just man up and do hardcore...

Sure, maybe one needs to see what the hell was the problem before I feel this was a bad call...

I have been waiting for this for quite a while, and the excuses for not running it doesn't really weight equally. A plane crash on the straight, ok, I understand. BP finding a oil dwell and fucking up with oil all over, I would get as well. But rain on a sand track... Please... Some people really don't do all what it takes to perfection, for me this is just another example of someone who doesn't really had what it takes, and others are suffering...
mattbmx63
6/13/2010 3:55pm
I believe they had a race yesterday, between the track conditions after that and the days of rain I'm sure the track would not of been any fun no matter how much of a motocrosser you are. I would be mad too, I planned to go but from past experience there knew better even before they cancelled. Having an event cancelled sucks for both sides, I'm sure they had good enough reason to do it. They run races and practices there while there is snow out, they would only cancel if it made sense on both ends
Ashleymx
6/13/2010 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2010 4:45pm
Nothing better than motos on a whooped out sand track. We had a sand track here that closed down but we kept riding it for about 6 years still. Thats 6 years of rain and motos with no track maintenance! Hard to believe Southwick could get that bad? Especially if it was straight off a race the day before? Id be pissed off for sure.
MX479Guy
6/13/2010 4:57pm
Ever consider that maybe they need track workers and EMS on site, and one of both weren't available ?
jndmx
6/13/2010 5:01pm
I am disappointed that they cancelled as well, my son was looking forward to it.

But;
You guys cannot slam the folks at MX 338 for cancelling.
350 folks all trying to get in some hard practice laps on a rough and wet Southwick course is a recipe for crashes and injury.
It's not the same as some remote track that a few of your long time buddies ride on and there are going to be a bunch of riders that are not the most skilled out there too.

If we all went there and spent most of the day waiting around for ambulance delays after spending money....well you can imagine the name calling that would go on there.

It's not what they wanted to do either you can be certain but sometimes you have to make this type of call.
hellion
6/13/2010 5:02pm
I live a few minutes from the track and it poured all night long here. Being that the whole track is hilly there are usually washouts all over the place. That, and it costs too much to groom it for an open practice where sometimes they get too many people and sometimes only a few.
jatharp12
6/13/2010 5:37pm
Once, in '81 or '82, it rained for a week before our race. When we got there, the entire track was washed out, exposing thousands of tires under every jump, drop off, and turn. It was really weird, but the track was fixed by the next day.
uk125250
6/13/2010 5:40pm
GIwasB4 wrote:
DrSweden wrote:
Prolly language issues from my side. I mean, if you compete you can go there quite often, but if you just want to practice, next time...
Prolly language issues from my side. I mean, if you compete you can go there quite often, but if you just want to practice, next time is august...

Maybe you understood all the time? If not, now you get what I mean? Smile
No, I think he has the reading comprehension issues.
DrSweden
6/13/2010 5:59pm
uk125250 wrote:
No, I think he has the reading comprehension issues.
Tnx. I really tried, I guess he didn't...
mattbmx63
6/13/2010 7:35pm
I don't think your seeing the big picture here, which as someone who hasn't ridden there wouldn't be able too. The track obviously is hammered from yesterday and was not helped at all by the rain. You can't just have equipment out there all night or at 5 am, the neighbors won't like that and is probably against some town ordinance. I think the risk vs. reward here for them clearly showed it wasn worth having. You risk injuries, unhappy riders and an overall poor experience. Most riders who go to their open practices are familiar with the track, and everyone I talked to decided yesterday not to go. Losing a day of riding sucks, but sometimes the conditions just aren't worth it.
DrSweden
6/13/2010 7:47pm
mattbmx63 wrote:
I don't think your seeing the big picture here, which as someone who hasn't ridden there wouldn't be able too. The track obviously is hammered from...
I don't think your seeing the big picture here, which as someone who hasn't ridden there wouldn't be able too. The track obviously is hammered from yesterday and was not helped at all by the rain. You can't just have equipment out there all night or at 5 am, the neighbors won't like that and is probably against some town ordinance. I think the risk vs. reward here for them clearly showed it wasn worth having. You risk injuries, unhappy riders and an overall poor experience. Most riders who go to their open practices are familiar with the track, and everyone I talked to decided yesterday not to go. Losing a day of riding sucks, but sometimes the conditions just aren't worth it.
Fair. I don't know all details of course, and maybe I should give the guy/guys some slack. This is the first time I have ever experienced a sand track getting closed because of wear and rain, but the ones I have experience from is prolly easier to make running.

You still agree that they would fix it to the Nats if this was the date, so deep down it's always a matter of will/profit in the end?

Not?
Trent179
6/13/2010 8:14pm
GIwasB4 wrote:
Y be a smart ass? Sick of everybody just searching for something to be a dick about. Phuck off, this dude had a legit complaint and you search for something to dog him. Damn you must be a phuckn looser.
Trent179
6/13/2010 8:15pm
GIwasB4 wrote:
God I wish all the mr. know it all dicks like you just wouldn't post stupid smart ass shit.
DrSweden
6/13/2010 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:24pm
Trent179 wrote:
Y be a smart ass? Sick of everybody just searching for something to be a dick about. Phuck off, this dude had a legit complaint and...
Y be a smart ass? Sick of everybody just searching for something to be a dick about. Phuck off, this dude had a legit complaint and you search for something to dog him. Damn you must be a phuckn looser.
Tnx for the support man, After like a decade on forums these "provoking" and rather uninteresting answers don't really raise my pulse. I know the agenda and what makes some of them tic, and it's often the only field where they can be a smartass.

I mean, look people, this Swede's grammar (english) sux, and look I'm sooo superior?

Post a reply to: Southwick, WTF...

The Latest