Southwick Photos

ruskymx
7/11/2017 1:11pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2017 7:05pm
I decided to make a trip to Southwick this year. I was only there once before in 1998 and I remember it raining....a lot! The weather was great up until the end of 450 Moto 2. I felt a few rain drops while in the pits while getting Eli Tomac to autograph a poster I had made of a photo from High Point last year. After I got the signature, I started to head back to the track to watch the 250's, but the rain drops became more and more frequent. It seemed like seconds later, the sky opened up and it started raining very heavy. I did have a rain coat with me but I was using it to cover up the poster I just had signed. I decided to head back to the truck to drop the picture off and then heard on the PA system that the 2 lap board was coming out so I called it a day and headed back to my campsite.

I camped at Sodom Mountain Campground and used a borrowed truck from work since my 2006 Tacoma that I just recently bought was having some brake lines replaced. I purchased a Rightline Truck Bed Tent and Intex Air Mattress. The power outlet in the bed of Tacomas worked great to fill up the air mattress! I'm about 6' tall and I had just enough room in the 5' bed of the truck with the tailgate down. Here's a pic of the setup:

On to the moto pics:

Good to see Doug Henry at the Wick

DC pushing Jerry Robin to try and bump start his bike

The rest I have on my website/blog HERE. Now I have to wait a month until Unadilla, but I'm also going to Budd's Creek the following week so I can't complain too much.

|
matze
Fantasy
3072nd
7/11/2017 2:24pm
Awesome shots! Good job
TankSlapper
7/11/2017 4:54pm
Nice Pics!! Thanks for sharing.
YamahaJT1
7/11/2017 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2017 6:08pm
Dude...

Hell Yes... You are a kindred spirit! I too am somewhat "core", and just sleep in the back of the truck with a canopy as cover and not shit else, except when there are 3+ then we have cots... Those Bros are out in the weather, LOL! Their shit got all wet at Budds 2015. They whined a bit, but I told them that "Moto is hard". I'd be sketched out to stay at a place called "Sodom Mountain"...Laughing

Anyhoo, Nice you are going to Budds. We are too! We "rough it" on the quarters, but kick ass on the chow front and have plenty of brew.

If you are rolling down to Budds Friday, I'd like to make your life a bit easier and invite you to dinner at our camp site for some Porterhouse, Shrimp, Lobster, and all the trimmings Friday night. If Stank and Eric show, I am pretty certain they'll let us hang in the pit and chow down again this year, but I gotta clear it with them. It was great hangin' with "The Jammer" as well last year. We are the MotoChefs® Plus, we gotta deliver some U.S.A. made American flags to the KTM truck to Roger for Team U.S.A. MXoN 2017. I lost a bet... Gonna be a great weekend...

Shoot me a PM with your cell # if you wish and we'll have some fine chow at Budds the night before the races, and perhaps the night after.

EDIT: Clarifying we'll be at BUDDS, not Unadilla... And if you wish to not partake, PM as well sans your # so I may adjust quantities accordingly.

The Shop

ruskymx
7/11/2017 5:26pm
matze wrote:
Awesome shots! Good job
Thank you and Johnny Depp and Tank Slapper as well!
Tryhard
7/11/2017 5:31pm
does anyone have any pics of the pics of the two guys riding two strokes?
mxrider641
7/11/2017 5:35pm
Thanks for posting and the story! First time we missed Southwick in more years than I can remember, but planning on Dilla!!
ruskymx
7/11/2017 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2017 6:12pm
YamahaJT1 wrote:
Dude... Hell Yes... You are a kindred spirit! I too am somewhat "core", and just sleep in the back of the truck with a canopy as...
Dude...

Hell Yes... You are a kindred spirit! I too am somewhat "core", and just sleep in the back of the truck with a canopy as cover and not shit else, except when there are 3+ then we have cots... Those Bros are out in the weather, LOL! Their shit got all wet at Budds 2015. They whined a bit, but I told them that "Moto is hard". I'd be sketched out to stay at a place called "Sodom Mountain"...Laughing

Anyhoo, Nice you are going to Budds. We are too! We "rough it" on the quarters, but kick ass on the chow front and have plenty of brew.

If you are rolling down to Budds Friday, I'd like to make your life a bit easier and invite you to dinner at our camp site for some Porterhouse, Shrimp, Lobster, and all the trimmings Friday night. If Stank and Eric show, I am pretty certain they'll let us hang in the pit and chow down again this year, but I gotta clear it with them. It was great hangin' with "The Jammer" as well last year. We are the MotoChefs® Plus, we gotta deliver some U.S.A. made American flags to the KTM truck to Roger for Team U.S.A. MXoN 2017. I lost a bet... Gonna be a great weekend...

Shoot me a PM with your cell # if you wish and we'll have some fine chow at Budds the night before the races, and perhaps the night after.

EDIT: Clarifying we'll be at BUDDS, not Unadilla... And if you wish to not partake, PM as well sans your # so I may adjust quantities accordingly.
I just bought that setup recently and that was my first trip using it....and I may have ripped it already lol. I'm probably going to be using it again for Unadila so hopefully it holds up for one more use.I eventually want to get a smaller camper but I need to get some stuff taken care of on the truck I bought. I was able to get a 2006 Tacoma with 63k on it, but it' going to need a frame within a 2-3 years if not sooner. Luckily I was able to get it cheap enough (previous owner ignored all the recalls so Toyota will not cover it) and since I work at a Toyota dealer, I can get the frame and the supporting parts at cost plus have a tech do the work after hours. Once that is done, I'll be camper shopping For the time being, truck bed tent w/ an air mattress lol

I could've used that offer the last two years when I rolled down solo! A co-worker of mine has a 36ft Jayco that we took out to High Point and will be taking to Budd's this year and staying at Cedarville State Forest. If it was just me heading down this year, I'd take you up on your offer, but there will be 4 of us and we'll be doing something similar just not as much food. Usually just steaks and potatoes or corn.Oh, and beers, but we have to keep them low key in the state forest campground since it's not allowed.

Once we are at the track though, I usually walk around and do my own thing to take pictures and meet them every now and then to grab drinks etc. I'd be down to hang out in the pits though. The last few I have been at, I buy the RacerX All Day pass.

Stankdog is back at Millville correct? I think I remember seeing a post on his IG about it. I miss hearing the tiddler screaming out there!
Edit: I sent you a PM
ruskymx
7/11/2017 6:07pm
Tryhard wrote:
does anyone have any pics of the pics of the two guys riding two strokes?
I have a few of Robbie Marshall and Chris Canning

YamahaJT1
7/11/2017 6:22pm
YamahaJT1 wrote:
Dude... Hell Yes... You are a kindred spirit! I too am somewhat "core", and just sleep in the back of the truck with a canopy as...
Dude...

ruskymx wrote:
I just bought that setup recently and that was my first trip using it....and I may have ripped it already lol. I'm probably going to be...
I just bought that setup recently and that was my first trip using it....and I may have ripped it already lol. I'm probably going to be using it again for Unadila so hopefully it holds up for one more use.I eventually want to get a smaller camper but I need to get some stuff taken care of on the truck I bought. I was able to get a 2006 Tacoma with 63k on it, but it' going to need a frame within a 2-3 years if not sooner. Luckily I was able to get it cheap enough (previous owner ignored all the recalls so Toyota will not cover it) and since I work at a Toyota dealer, I can get the frame and the supporting parts at cost plus have a tech do the work after hours. Once that is done, I'll be camper shopping For the time being, truck bed tent w/ an air mattress lol

I could've used that offer the last two years when I rolled down solo! A co-worker of mine has a 36ft Jayco that we took out to High Point and will be taking to Budd's this year and staying at Cedarville State Forest. If it was just me heading down this year, I'd take you up on your offer, but there will be 4 of us and we'll be doing something similar just not as much food. Usually just steaks and potatoes or corn.Oh, and beers, but we have to keep them low key in the state forest campground since it's not allowed.

Once we are at the track though, I usually walk around and do my own thing to take pictures and meet them every now and then to grab drinks etc. I'd be down to hang out in the pits though. The last few I have been at, I buy the RacerX All Day pass.

Stankdog is back at Millville correct? I think I remember seeing a post on his IG about it. I miss hearing the tiddler screaming out there!
Edit: I sent you a PM
Excellent, Sir, you are a-rollin' in style this year! And a good crew as well. Will read your PM...
kkawboy14
7/11/2017 6:38pm
Cool set up! Man I haven't slept in a truck since back in the day racing Florida Trail Riders Hare Scrambles
ruskymx
7/12/2017 7:55am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Cool set up! Man I haven't slept in a truck since back in the day racing Florida Trail Riders Hare Scrambles
Although it wasn't as good as my friends camper, it sure beats sleeping in my car like I did the last two years at Budds Creek. One of these setups would be cool too, but they are not cheap

Motoxtombo
7/12/2017 8:55pm
You got a lot of great shots Jeff! I didn't see myself in the background of any of them though.
It sounds like you had a good time camping up here. I like to camp in my van,no rain issues. lol
GD2
Fantasy
854th
7/12/2017 9:05pm
Awesome pics.
7/13/2017 5:08pm
We stayed at Sodom mountain too. You may have see our set up. Lol

ruskymx
7/13/2017 7:02pm
Motoxtombo wrote:
You got a lot of great shots Jeff! I didn't see myself in the background of any of them though. It sounds like you had a...
You got a lot of great shots Jeff! I didn't see myself in the background of any of them though.
It sounds like you had a good time camping up here. I like to camp in my van,no rain issues. lol
The rain didn't bother me too much at night and after I got back from the track, I sat in my truck in the A/C and watched the motos on NBC Gold app on my phone.

Thanks GD2!
ruskymx
7/13/2017 7:05pm
AdamWGolen wrote:
We stayed at Sodom mountain too. You may have see our set up. Lol[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/13/204709/s1200_IMG_1823.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/13/204711/s1200_IMG_2244.jpg[/img]
We stayed at Sodom mountain too. You may have see our set up. Lol

I think I did see your spot. Were you fairly close to the bath house along the main road back to sites in the 70's? I was in 87A. I remember seeing a TV while walking to the bathhouse the one night. I like how close it is to the track, but they sure do pack a lot of site into the property. Cedar Forest near Budds and Deer Haven for Unadilla, the sites are further apart, which I like better.
7/13/2017 8:02pm
we were site 72. they did pack them in but we had a great time. i also got some pretty decent shots of the wick.

i also got some great shots from the same turn for the second moto of the 250s when Savagty almost ate it. all shot with a iphone6 plus
ruskymx
7/14/2017 8:19am
AdamWGolen wrote:
we were site 72. they did pack them in but we had a great time. i also got some pretty decent shots of the wick. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/13/204730/s1200_IMG_1869.jpg[/img]...
we were site 72. they did pack them in but we had a great time. i also got some pretty decent shots of the wick.

i also got some great shots from the same turn for the second moto of the 250s when Savagty almost ate it. all shot with a iphone6 plus
By the looks of your pics, you were on the other side of the TV camera. I was behind the camera trying to get a lane to shoot through. I'm going to try and make it back next year. It was a 4.5 hour drive, but it seemed shorter than a trip to High Point which is 4 hours for me.

Post a reply to: Southwick Photos

The Latest