Southwick National worth going?

So I am thinking about bringing my kids 9 and 11 to the Southwick National. Never been to a national race, are they worth going to? Worried we are just going to be looking at the backs of peoples heads, and not see any of the actual races.

Does Southwick have enough spots to see the races?

Thanks.
|
dedi684
6/27/2018 3:57am
Temps look hot for kids with such a big crowd
yz133rider
6/27/2018 4:09am
I didnt like the viewing there at all. Go to budds creek the viewing there is a million times better.
sandman768
6/27/2018 5:27am
Nothing beats watching a national in person....the 125 exhibition should be awesome....
dedi684
6/27/2018 5:32am
Yes if last sundays 125 race was any indication it should be really good!

The Shop

6/27/2018 5:35am
I went last year. Just get there early and find a spot. Bring sunblock and plan on camping in a spot most of the day or it’ll get poached. Viewing was pretty good where we were sitting and could see most of the track while sitting at the bottom of the bleachers.
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
6/27/2018 5:36am
Get there early, camp out at the top of the bleachers by the spectator jump, you'll see plenty.. Been going since 1978.
I raced a Vet Championship there last Sunday and got to see all the local legends battle in a 125 race as a tuneup for this Saturday. It was epic, I bet it'll be the best National of the year. Roczen's ready to do battle, Barcia is quick there, Marvin is bringing his wife to distract Eli.. Definitely worth going.
6/27/2018 2:15pm
Thanks guys. I think we will go early and check this out!!
pkiczuk
6/28/2018 3:47am
its gotten better as far as viewing goes in my opinion, but the place gets PACKED for the nationals. Definitely get there early enough to find a good spot, but if you end up sitting in the grand stands its not bad. I went there for the first time when I was 12, and walking through the pits and being that close to my heroes was absolutely life changing for me. I highly recommend it.
GFMM647
6/28/2018 5:15am
Try and get there as early as you can so you can scope out a spot. Bring some folding chairs, small cooler with drinks. Keep the chairs together because once the races start, people try to push between them. Set right on the fence. In front of the bleachers, on top of the spectator jump is a great spot. Or get a spot in the bleachers. That way you don't have to fight the crowd. If you can find a spot in the shade, that's a plus. Otherwise bring the sunblock. It going to be hot. It's a long day but worth it.
agn5009
6/28/2018 5:25am
Any national is "worth" going to. Is it the best? Probably not. It's gonna extremely hot and muggy so take lots of sun screen, water and shade. But I'm sure the kids will have a blast. I took my 4 year old to High Point (which was around 90 degrees and humid) this year and he loved every minute of it.
6/28/2018 9:25am
I try not to miss a second of Supercross practice, but don't find outdoor practice nearly as crucial. I also will go against the grain and say one of the best part of outdoors is not camping out in a single spot, but slowly making my way around the track once or twice throughout the day, and getting to watch each section up close.
ns503
6/28/2018 10:04am
I try not to miss a second of Supercross practice, but don't find outdoor practice nearly as crucial. I also will go against the grain and...
I try not to miss a second of Supercross practice, but don't find outdoor practice nearly as crucial. I also will go against the grain and say one of the best part of outdoors is not camping out in a single spot, but slowly making my way around the track once or twice throughout the day, and getting to watch each section up close.
That's OK, if you can actually see each section. My Southwick experiences tell me that if you don't get to those spots early & keep them, you won't be getting to them. They fill up & it's not worth a fight to try to get the fence.

If I was there alone, I would for sure wander around, likely the whole day. But with 2 young kids, not likely - especially in the heat that will be there. That place is like a bowl that any breeze likely won't reach into.
biglou400ex
6/28/2018 10:15am
If you want to do a National, Dilla can’t be beat for viewing. Can see 70% of the track from the hill by the amateur pits.
6/28/2018 2:03pm
ns503 wrote:
That's OK, if you can actually see each section. My Southwick experiences tell me that if you don't get to those spots early & keep them...
That's OK, if you can actually see each section. My Southwick experiences tell me that if you don't get to those spots early & keep them, you won't be getting to them. They fill up & it's not worth a fight to try to get the fence.

If I was there alone, I would for sure wander around, likely the whole day. But with 2 young kids, not likely - especially in the heat that will be there. That place is like a bowl that any breeze likely won't reach into.
I find that it's at most 2-3 people deep at the fence, and hanging around for a lap you can generally find an opening. Maybe not for the start or the biggest jump on the track, but otherwise.

I don't have kids, but I'd imagine they'd be a lot more restless sitting in one spot in the heat then moving around every few laps.

I went last year. I'm assuming Unadilla is quite a bit longer drive, but if not—I'd echo the sentiment above, the viewing is superior. I also just personally find Southwick pretty underwhelming feature-wise, so that may bias me.
6/28/2018 6:33pm
If you want to do a National, Dilla can’t be beat for viewing. Can see 70% of the track from the hill by the amateur pits.
70%, I always wondered how much you could see, it looked pretty open. Good old Hangtown though, from the west side you can see 95% of the track, only the little corner after the first big table top, and the step up onto Oak tree hill is out of sight... Pretty sweet. Course, that is a little farther from Massachusetts and you have to wait 11 months!
6/28/2018 7:50pm
I go to Hangtown & Unadilla—it's pretty similar percentage-wise, IMO.

Post a reply to: Southwick National worth going?

The Latest