Sounds like Dirt Rider Magazine will cease publication...

Related:
Create New Tag

12/2/2017 12:44 AM

SmokinJoe439 wrote:

I haven't bought a magazine since like 2005 i get my info from these types of sites.

Magazines nowadays though don't feature things that you find on websites though?

It's a shame as magazines concentrate on their own content that they don't generally publish online whereas most motocross websites post similar content from press releases or just their own spin on the same subjects.

|

12/3/2017 3:35 PM

So thats why their instructions to be a test-rider didn't work..where to go now?

|


All I needs a cool buzz some tasty berms and I'm fine

12/3/2017 6:12 PM

Sorry to see, wonder which of the Big 4 will be the first to stop producing dirt bikes.

|

12/3/2017 6:29 PM

ncfroc wrote:

I *just* renewed for 3 years this week. ARGH

If you did it by credit card, have them reverse the charge.

|

12/3/2017 6:44 PM

stillwelding wrote:

Sorry to see, wonder which of the Big 4 will be the first to stop producing dirt bikes.

Big six? Suzuki would likely be the first...

|

12/3/2017 8:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2017 8:29 PM

Someone said Dirt Bike is safe but I would say theyre next. HiTorque also owns BMX Plus mag and they shut that down. And Transworld BMX is done, i could be wrong but i think the entire sport of bmx has no magazine in print now. Mentioning honest journalism, check out this story. My dad was a motorcycle dealer in the 70s for a bunch of different European brands. I don't remember the exact magazine, but he said that at the dealers meeting, a magazine editor told the dealers that for X amount of money, they could write their own test of the bike for the magazine

|

12/4/2017 7:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2017 7:09 AM

motoarmageddon wrote:

Someone said Dirt Bike is safe but I would say theyre next. HiTorque also owns BMX Plus mag and they shut that down. And Transworld BMX is done, i could be wrong but i think the entire sport of bmx has no magazine in print now. Mentioning honest journalism, check out this story. My dad was a motorcycle dealer in the 70s for a bunch of different European brands. I don't remember the exact magazine, but he said that at the dealers meeting, a magazine editor told the dealers that for X amount of money, they could write their own test of the bike for the magazine

I say Dirt Bike is safe cause they currently have more advertisers and stronger circulation than MXA. Tilley's doing a good job of making their magazine "younger" again, while MXA's median age user just keeps getting older.

Dirt Bike/MXA, and Racer X are privately owned by an individual while Transworld is under a large corporate umbrella similar to Dirt Rider. TEN, The Enthusiast Network, which owns TWMX has been slashing issues per year and even closed some of their publications. As far as I'm aware, TWMX is the only Transworld brand that still has a 12 month circulation. Although they're doing well, the nature of their ownership makes me suspect they could have one of the rougher gos in the future. Their overseers aren't afraid to cut things...

|

12/4/2017 7:11 AM

Since I don’t know anyone that purchases magazines anymore, what kind of circulation do these magazines have now?

|

12/4/2017 4:02 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Since I don’t know anyone that purchases magazines anymore, what kind of circulation do these magazines have now?

I just purchased a $50 gift certificate for Rocky Mountian for $27. And I'll be getting a year of MXA and Dirt Bike for free!

|

12/4/2017 5:10 PM

Shame about print magazines slowly disappearing. I still subscribe to the print and digital editions of most of them. MXA, Dirtbike, Racer X, Dirtrider, transworld (digital only) Cycle News, (have boxes of the old print issues) as well as a couple from the UK, Dirtbike rider, TMX.
MXA was the first mx magazine I ever bought in 1980, it use to take about 3 months for them to get to NZ,
I still rather the print versions but that must be an age thing.
Always look forward to MXA in the Mail, but may be an age thing as ML512 mentioned I am 52.

|

@TONY351KTM

12/4/2017 5:50 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Since I don’t know anyone that purchases magazines anymore, what kind of circulation do these magazines have now?

FahQ wrote:

I just purchased a $50 gift certificate for Rocky Mountian for $27. And I'll be getting a year of MXA and Dirt Bike for free!

Cool, well now I know 1 guy smile

|

12/4/2017 8:21 PM

motoarmageddon wrote:

Someone said Dirt Bike is safe but I would say theyre next. HiTorque also owns BMX Plus mag and they shut that down. And Transworld BMX is done, i could be wrong but i think the entire sport of bmx has no magazine in print now. Mentioning honest journalism, check out this story. My dad was a motorcycle dealer in the 70s for a bunch of different European brands. I don't remember the exact magazine, but he said that at the dealers meeting, a magazine editor told the dealers that for X amount of money, they could write their own test of the bike for the magazine

ML512 wrote:

I say Dirt Bike is safe cause they currently have more advertisers and stronger circulation than MXA. Tilley's doing a good job of making their magazine "younger" again, while MXA's median age user just keeps getting older.

Dirt Bike/MXA, and Racer X are privately owned by an individual while Transworld is under a large corporate umbrella similar to Dirt Rider. TEN, The Enthusiast Network, which owns TWMX has been slashing issues per year and even closed some of their publications. As far as I'm aware, TWMX is the only Transworld brand that still has a 12 month circulation. Although they're doing well, the nature of their ownership makes me suspect they could have one of the rougher gos in the future. Their overseers aren't afraid to cut things...

Thanks for the insight. I subscribe to the last four mentioned and WAS?? a subscriber to Dirt Rider.

|

12/4/2017 10:18 PM

I wish everyone here could've lived through the golden years of moto magazines. 1983-91 was it for me. Internet has ruined this. That's why the hatefor Jody and mxa on vital irritates me; mxa shaped the sportforyears.

|

12/4/2017 11:32 PM

Aceofspades wrote:

I wish everyone here could've lived through the golden years of moto magazines. 1983-91 was it for me. Internet has ruined this. That's why the hatefor Jody and mxa on vital irritates me; mxa shaped the sportforyears.

I did, great times, complete JT racing catalogs, fox catalogs, pro circuit, catalogs in the magazines how thick were some of those MXA’s back in the day.
Was a highlight for me a year or so ago to get this photo on one of my trips.
Photo

|

@TONY351KTM

12/5/2017 6:45 AM

Jody is a legit legend.

|

12/5/2017 7:11 AM

Aceofspades wrote:

I wish everyone here could've lived through the golden years of moto magazines. 1983-91 was it for me. Internet has ruined this. That's why the hatefor Jody and mxa on vital irritates me; mxa shaped the sportforyears.

Yep, freshman in high school to graduating college years for me, but one thing's different now. I used to barely read Jody's Box bitd, now it's the first thing I read!

|

12/5/2017 8:51 AM

There was nothing like getting the magazine in the mail or picking up a copy at the local Wal-Mart or Books a million. It is sad to know that my son will not have the same enjoyment of looking at those beautiful pages and staring over and over again of a bike blasting a berm or getting big air.

|

12/5/2017 8:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2017 8:59 AM

Aceofspades wrote:

I wish everyone here could've lived through the golden years of moto magazines. 1983-91 was it for me. Internet has ruined this. That's why the hatefor Jody and mxa on vital irritates me; mxa shaped the sportforyears.

I think maybe it's a generational thing. I'm no youngin' (just past the halfway point on my Vet class status) but I never really cared for Jody's snarky, know-it-all writing and general high horse point of view. Whether it's him or someone else (that he probably edits) the whole tone of the mag has always just screamed crotchety old men to me. Remember when they used to clown on Pastrana and called him a "village idiot" because he was doing heel clickers over the finish line or whatever? To me they're the "get off my lawn" of moto

...Funny how MXA can be so polarizing and everyone seems to have an opinion on them one way or another. Here's a thread on a competitor and it turns into an MXA thing grin

I will say I respect what Jody has done and I know he's a badass with tons of history. I just really don't care for his magazine and it's actually the only one i've never subscribed to.

|

1/26/2018 2:06 PM

ML512 anything new on this? I didn't like it after you opened this thread I started getting renewal cards in the mail. I've been a long time subscriber and it use to be my favorite Magazine, but I hate the really small print and lack of substance to the Magazine anymore. I would hope they could turn it around.

|

1/26/2018 2:59 PM

motoarmageddon wrote:

Someone said Dirt Bike is safe but I would say theyre next. HiTorque also owns BMX Plus mag and they shut that down. And Transworld BMX is done, i could be wrong but i think the entire sport of bmx has no magazine in print now. Mentioning honest journalism, check out this story. My dad was a motorcycle dealer in the 70s for a bunch of different European brands. I don't remember the exact magazine, but he said that at the dealers meeting, a magazine editor told the dealers that for X amount of money, they could write their own test of the bike for the magazine

Doubt it. The latest issue of Dirt Bike is about 120 pages total, and the bike on the cover, a KX 300 X is totally bad ass.

I ended up buying it off the rack(the last one actually). People I know have still gotten Dirt Rider lately.

|

3/2/2018 9:20 AM

Photo

|

3/2/2018 10:03 AM

KDXGarage wrote: Photo

Motorcyclist? This is almost like being subscribed to a Mtn Bike mag, and them wanting you to read about how to wear goofy helmets and spandex and ride on the street.

How can Dirt bike mag be killing it?

|

3/2/2018 10:11 AM

I am not looking forward to getting Motorcyclist.
I guess there isn't another motorcrossist type mag available from them.

|

3/2/2018 10:16 AM

mikec265 wrote:

I am not looking forward to getting Motorcyclist.
I guess there isn't another motorcrossist type mag available from them.

I wonder if they would switch to another mag thats more fitting.

http://www.bonniercorp.com/brands/

|

3/2/2018 10:56 AM

Same with Sport Rider that ceased last year. I now suddenly am getting Motorcyclist. It ended up in trash, weird format and hard to read/follow. Its a shame on Dirt Rider, I likes the Jimmy Lewis/Karel Kramer years! Hasn't been the same last few years so not surprised.

|

Dave Hamblin
2018 YZ-250X
(I really do like the smell of pre-mix in the morning!)

3/2/2018 2:27 PM

11/1985 issue, the first I bought
01/2018 issue, the last issue I bought

R.I.P., Dirt Rider.

|

3/2/2018 2:48 PM

Sucks. Dirt Rider was my mag when I was young.

|

3/3/2018 7:27 AM

In the 70s and 80s there were so many street, dirt and minicycle mags. I remember an 80s mag called Moto cross that was pretty good. I’d buy them all and read through them immediately.

|

3/3/2018 7:33 AM

Wow, didn't know that dirt rider was a part of Bonnier. That's crazy.

|

#1
KX125

3/18/2018 8:39 PM

mikec265 wrote:

I am not looking forward to getting Motorcyclist.
I guess there isn't another motorcrossist type mag available from them.

Asimo wrote:

I wonder if they would switch to another mag thats more fitting.

http://www.bonniercorp.com/brands/

They were actually very nice about giving me a refund for Dirt Rider. At first I was going to switch to Cycle World but I had no idea it had been switched to 4 issues a year (Which they also told me)...They would have switched me to anything I wanted
but after I found that Cycle World only had 4 issues a year I decided to just cancel as I had no interest in Motorcyclist (Which I had actually had subscribed to a long time ago)...The lady told me it would take 6 to 8 weeks for the refund
but I already got the refund check in the mail which took about 2 weeks to get (and deposited it electronically)...So you are not locked into Motorcyclist if you don't want it.

|