Sounds like Dirt Rider Magazine will cease publication...

lumpy790
11/30/2017 3:12pm
Dizzy just renewed my subscription
11/30/2017 3:46pm
Apparently I’m the only one who gets all the print magazines and only watches video online?

Too bad so sad shouldn’t have driven your star editors away.
Sully
11/30/2017 3:58pm
Well that's a bummer. When I was in high school, my dream job was to be an editor at Dirt Rider. That magazine is the reason I got a degree in journalism.
kkawboy14
11/30/2017 4:23pm
Man I can’t remember the last magazine I purchased. I used to buy them in the airport to read on airplanes but man the print stuff is always like 3 months old!

The Shop

imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
11/30/2017 5:05pm
I remember making the 30min there, 3 hour back ride to walmart on the bmx to pick up the moto mags. I don't recall even seeing the magazine section in my local WalMart now.

Taylor415
11/30/2017 5:11pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2017 5:13pm
I love print magazines. I’ve suscribed the MXA and Racer X for years. Good reads in both. Didn’t read them much, but sucks.
RACERX69
11/30/2017 5:25pm
lumpy790 wrote:
Dizzy just renewed my subscription
Yep. Me too! Renewed for 2 years back in September. Angry
Ebs
11/30/2017 5:31pm
Dirt Rider is what got me into riding. The middle school library had a subscription and kept stacks of 'em the shelf, I always had an issue in my backpack. I bugged my parents enough they finally bought me an old XR100 (it had to be an XR because that's what Scott Summers rode).
wfo4ever
11/30/2017 6:41pm
endurox wrote:
Need some real honest journalism these days. like Rick Sieman back in the day. Call out certain manufactures and the ama for damaging the sport. Don't...
Need some real honest journalism these days. like Rick Sieman back in the day. Call out certain manufactures and the ama for damaging the sport. Don't let advertizing dollars effect write ups on bikes. Need more indepth articles on bikes. And who cares if a magazine editor needs to move the clickers. Also weigh the bikes with the same fuel amount(which would be the gas tank with the smallest capacity which is usually a yelllow bike.) People would subscribe to not politically correct magazine.
http://articles.superhunky.com/4/80
I miss Super Hunky, he was the best there ever was. The guy knew dirt bikes and was very funny too!!! Back then Dirt Bike and MXA Magazine were the best. I also liked Minicycle Action magazine too until they added BMX. Popular Cycling, Modern Cycle, Cycle, Cycle World, Dirt Rider, and Cycle Guide were good magazines as well. Now RacerX is mostly advertising. TWMX is the same and lame. Cycle News is good except by the time you get it it is old news. A lot of people I know are getting tired of magazine and forum sites also as they are getting old, they all have the same content, mostly people arguing about who is the best rider, what is the best brand, and how stupid moderators are for deleting their posts and being clueless. I do know a few people that are still even into moto and they are listening to Podcasts like Pulp MX and DMXS sometimes and mainly just watching the races on TV w/o commercials on their DVRs.. I prefer riding my motorcycles over typing myself. I would not have typed this but I have not been on Vital in quite a while and clicked on it and saw this Dirt Rider thread. I read a while back that these rocket scientists fired ocscottie, I thought that really sucked and was pretty low. He was a good guy. So I decided to quit coming here a lot less or not at all. But it also shows that Vital is not doing so well either if they let ocscottie go.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
11/30/2017 7:06pm
wfo4ever wrote:
I miss Super Hunky, he was the best there ever was. The guy knew dirt bikes and was very funny too!!! Back then Dirt Bike and...
I miss Super Hunky, he was the best there ever was. The guy knew dirt bikes and was very funny too!!! Back then Dirt Bike and MXA Magazine were the best. I also liked Minicycle Action magazine too until they added BMX. Popular Cycling, Modern Cycle, Cycle, Cycle World, Dirt Rider, and Cycle Guide were good magazines as well. Now RacerX is mostly advertising. TWMX is the same and lame. Cycle News is good except by the time you get it it is old news. A lot of people I know are getting tired of magazine and forum sites also as they are getting old, they all have the same content, mostly people arguing about who is the best rider, what is the best brand, and how stupid moderators are for deleting their posts and being clueless. I do know a few people that are still even into moto and they are listening to Podcasts like Pulp MX and DMXS sometimes and mainly just watching the races on TV w/o commercials on their DVRs.. I prefer riding my motorcycles over typing myself. I would not have typed this but I have not been on Vital in quite a while and clicked on it and saw this Dirt Rider thread. I read a while back that these rocket scientists fired ocscottie, I thought that really sucked and was pretty low. He was a good guy. So I decided to quit coming here a lot less or not at all. But it also shows that Vital is not doing so well either if they let ocscottie go.
As mentioned previously over Scottie's situation it was a reinvestment into content, mostly related to GP coverage and other video needs for the site. Vital MX as a whole is doing quite well, but we operate within a budget and hard decisions were made. Scottie was contracted and not "full-time", but is still an employee as of right now and will be until the end of the year. The company did they best they could by giving him a few months heads up that his position wouldn't exist per se for 2018.

On the brighter side, the forum community itself showed a lot of love for Scottie and raised enough money for him to buy a wheelchair accessible van. Honestly this website takes a lot of work to keep flowing and I'm hoping Scottie finds some new avenues to adventure without having to babysit this forum all the time.
user760a
11/30/2017 7:20pm
Total bummer. I see the majority here mentioning that they have not bought magazines in years, or in the case of younger folks, have never bought magazines.

As usual, I am out of step with the majority. I love glossy magazines and still get a bunch of them. Sure, the days when moto news, new model year bike releases and other exciting developments were broken by magazines in your mailbox are long gone. But I still enjoy them. I actually hate staring at the little screen and associate computers with stress (really wish they would all just burst into flames and go away forever)
PJ205
11/30/2017 8:04pm
Daaaaaaaang. Heard rumors of this over a year ago... guess its the truth now. That's a bummer!
TeamGreen
11/30/2017 8:16pm
disbanded wrote:
Do they just expect me to stop shitting?
Best Post!

Yo! Get your iPad and be sure to not get any doodoo on it!
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
11/30/2017 9:17pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2017 9:22pm
Kinda off topic but, I was reading a test on the TM 144(maybe 300?) in MXA's July 2011 issue on the toilet, when my mum found dad had passed away in his sleep. He would have thought that was hilarious.LaughingSmile

I still have that magazine somewhere.
mx617
11/30/2017 9:29pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2017 9:32pm
Spooner wrote:
Man that’s crazy but makes the letting go of Keefer make more sense. It’s sad seeing all these moto publications close up shop but so many...
Man that’s crazy but makes the letting go of Keefer make more sense. It’s sad seeing all these moto publications close up shop but so many of them have all the same stuff in them so I can kind of understand why. That’s why I think racer x has persisted because they have much better articles and more in depth stories.
ML512 wrote:
They've all dropped off considerably in subscriptions numbers but for instance TWMX and RacerX's online presences are very strong and hold good value. In the case...
They've all dropped off considerably in subscriptions numbers but for instance TWMX and RacerX's online presences are very strong and hold good value.

In the case of DirtBike and MXA, they've shrunk in viewers but still hold strong value in the eyes of their existing readership and the advertisers supporting them...along with being owned by a sole individual instead of a corporation that would slash them during a downturn.
For myself, I always try and support what I like. For example, racerx has awesome coverage on their Website, but I have doubts that's enough to support them so I have a print subscription to. Get everything I need/want form the site but don't mind paying an extra $40 to help make sure it's there.

I think they've got a decent formula to, where the time sensitive stuff is on the wbe and the interesting, behind the scenes stuff is in the mag. Very different content between the two.
KDXGarage
12/1/2017 12:04am
WELL, DANG!! I hate to hear that. I subscribe and have for years. I still have the 10-85 issue I got at the grocery store.

RIP, Dirt Rider, 12-1982 / 12-2017
ncfroc
12/1/2017 1:14am
I *just* renewed for 3 years this week. ARGH
smezmx
12/1/2017 1:28am
disbanded wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Best Post!

Scientific studys have proven that one in six hand held mobile devices have traces of doo doo on them.not sure about disbanded's old copy's of dirt rider though? SillySilly
MudPup545
12/1/2017 3:34am
I too must be in the minority. I still prefer print over internet.
BMR179
Fantasy
1240th
12/1/2017 6:04am
hellion wrote:
I'm a magazine addict. I've got nearly every issue of MXA and Dirt Bike, and I do have every Racer X and the old MXRacer. Up...
I'm a magazine addict. I've got nearly every issue of MXA and Dirt Bike, and I do have every Racer X and the old MXRacer. Up until they let Denison and Keefer go, I had every issue of Dirt Rider too. But with their dismissal, and the decision to go to ten issues a year I finally pulled the plug. This news is sad though, I'd hoped they'd rebound and rebuild the way Dirt Bike did when they brought Tom Webb back. As much as I hate to say it, print media is likely going away as we all get so much information here and other places on the web. RIP Dirt Rider

ps, I hope Karel Kramer finds a new home, he's a good dude, and even let me borrow one of his XR600's many years ago to go riding in the hills of CA with Jerry Bernardo
Karel hasn't been with Dirt Rider for a while now. He's a great dude that loves dirt bikes. Karel guided a group of us flat landers from Texas on a few rides, one at Bean Canyon that was a blast! He also got us VIP treatment at the big hillclimb in Billings Montana in "06. I heard he was in a bad car accident and has had a difficult time, financially and health wise. Hope he is doing better now.
12/1/2017 6:35am
Always loved the neon color ways on the cover in the 90’s. RIP.
mx317
12/1/2017 6:38am
I just got an automatic renewal from the ITunes store yesterday for Dirt Rider. I don't remember setting up any auto renewal with them or even getting it online. I did subscribe to the print version though.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
12/1/2017 6:50am
disbanded wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Best Post!

smezmx wrote:
Scientific studys have proven that one in six hand held mobile devices have traces of doo doo on them.not sure about disbanded's old copy's of dirt...
Scientific studys have proven that one in six hand held mobile devices have traces of doo doo on them.not sure about disbanded's old copy's of dirt rider though? SillySilly
One out of six seems low
mx_563
12/1/2017 8:18am
I never developed a strong connection to Dirt Rider. Not sure why. Other than Karel, it just seemed like a revolving door over there. Webb, Faught, Lewis, Denison. Different publishers. Different print styles, going from a separate MOTO! section, to integrated format. Standard size, oversize. Glossy, then matte, then glossy again. I always felt like something was amiss for them to have to constantly search for the right recipe.

I grew up getting mad a Rondo Talbot, trying to decipher Wolfman's colorful use of adjectives (before he moved over to Dirt Rider) and chuckling at Rick Sieman's tales. Dirt Bike is a shell of its former self and not worth the $5 newsstand price but it is sort of like a rock. Also, I always appreciated their specs tables in all of their tests. Weight, seat height, fuel capacity....everything was always listed in one table. I appreciated that. But soon I think they will be gone too. We'll go through a digital phase, and in some years, a group of "revolutionary" modern day hipsters will come out with a novelty item....a "print magazine" and it will become trendy to actually read printed material. Sort of like these artsy bearded Mo-Fos and their 35mm instagram photography.
Tuna
12/1/2017 8:19am
I didn’t renew after Keefer left. They got my money for close to 10 years.
FWYT
12/1/2017 8:29am
Sad to see another print pub go away, but it's been headed that direction for years.
One thing I notice when I browse the newsstand, as I like print, is that there are
still mags out there for nice sports, but they tend to focus HEAVILY on photography.
So there's still a market.
KDXGarage
12/1/2017 2:41pm
For those of us with a subsription, I imagine we will be converted to whatever that publishing company prints that might be close. DO NOT go to the mailbox and look for a refund check. :-(

The site still has an online subscription page. :-|
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
12/2/2017 12:42am
endurox wrote:
Need some real honest journalism these days. like Rick Sieman back in the day. Call out certain manufactures and the ama for damaging the sport. Don't...
Need some real honest journalism these days. like Rick Sieman back in the day. Call out certain manufactures and the ama for damaging the sport. Don't let advertizing dollars effect write ups on bikes. Need more indepth articles on bikes. And who cares if a magazine editor needs to move the clickers. Also weigh the bikes with the same fuel amount(which would be the gas tank with the smallest capacity which is usually a yelllow bike.) People would subscribe to not politically correct magazine.
http://articles.superhunky.com/4/80
I always liked Rick's writing style and humor.

By real honest journalism, do you mean like the time he wrote an article about making a how to make a bong for Modern Cycle? Wink
Snapper
12/2/2017 12:44am
I haven't bought a magazine since like 2005 i get my info from these types of sites.
Magazines nowadays though don't feature things that you find on websites though?

It's a shame as magazines concentrate on their own content that they don't generally publish online whereas most motocross websites post similar content from press releases or just their own spin on the same subjects.

Post a reply to: Sounds like Dirt Rider Magazine will cease publication...

The Latest