Sould Herlings go for AMA motocross this year ?

davis224
Fantasy
165th
3/16/2022 7:14am
mxb2 wrote:
Well then mention. The florida mxgp, charlotte, glen helen races. As the ironman race is the only one mentioned.
davis224 wrote:
OK, fair enough on the Florida MXGP, I had forgotten we had any MXGP rounds that recrntly. Ironman always gets mentioned though because of the circumstances...
OK, fair enough on the Florida MXGP, I had forgotten we had any MXGP rounds that recrntly. Ironman always gets mentioned though because of the circumstances and the last to 1st, just like if Tomac would have flown over to a European race and done the same thing, we would talk about it forever! The point still stands though, we haven't beaten them since 2017. The burden of proof is on us, we just have to make it happen.
mxb2 wrote:
For sure, but some people have selective memory. Hell josh grant beat the top mxgp guys.
Hell I was there that day and can barely remember the results. Webb, Grant, and Febvre all looked great, Cairoli looked amazing for the few laps he had in him coming back from injury.

The main thing that stood out to me that day is how much better Jessy Nelson and McElrath were than the other 250 riders, but how stylish that #243 on a Honda looked behind them.
fourfourone
3/16/2022 7:45am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2022 7:48am
The US hasn't given a shit about the MXDN for years.
Sounds like sour grapes in view of US not winning since 2011. I am not sure of much but I am sure your post would read...
Sounds like sour grapes in view of US not winning since 2011. I am not sure of much but I am sure your post would read differently if US had been dominating.
Sour grapes lol.. I could give 2 shits about who rides or wins it. Its a BS event where everyone else benefits financially from it EXCEPT the riders. Its gotten so bad that even our TOP us riders have no desire to go.
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
3/16/2022 7:49am
Sounds like sour grapes in view of US not winning since 2011. I am not sure of much but I am sure your post would read...
Sounds like sour grapes in view of US not winning since 2011. I am not sure of much but I am sure your post would read differently if US had been dominating.
Sour grapes lol.. I could give 2 shits about who rides or wins it. Its a BS event where everyone else benefits financially from it EXCEPT...
Sour grapes lol.. I could give 2 shits about who rides or wins it. Its a BS event where everyone else benefits financially from it EXCEPT the riders. Its gotten so bad that even our TOP us riders have no desire to go.
The teams have no desire to pay to send them. I still believe the riders would love to go if the teams would allow them to do so.
Press516
Fantasy
126th
3/16/2022 7:52am
Remember Hampshire going 1-1 in MX2 in 2017 at WW Ranch? At that point, he had never even won a single moto in the AMA outdoors. But he cleaned house on the "World" riders... For Hampshire to win, think what would have happened if Savatgy, Osborne, Cianciarulo, J-Mart, A-Mart, Plessinger and even Nichols were running that race, where would the "Worlds" best have finished??? Yeah, yeah, the age rules, etc....

Or Anderson at Maggiora? Beat the "World" riders, including Herlings in his first moto before he had ever won an AMA outdoors moto. The US team was robbed on that day, but hey you have to do it on the track and after the incident, he couldn't ride moto 2.

These dudes are fast on both sides of the pond... PERIOD. But if a single selected event is your standard, that standard can be destroyed in an instant.

The Shop

150ripper
3/16/2022 8:31am
fins227 wrote:
He’d melt
Didn't melt in Florida in late summer that one time. He'd be fine.
150ripper
3/16/2022 8:32am
Press516 wrote:
Remember Hampshire going 1-1 in MX2 in 2017 at WW Ranch? At that point, he had never even won a single moto in the AMA outdoors...
Remember Hampshire going 1-1 in MX2 in 2017 at WW Ranch? At that point, he had never even won a single moto in the AMA outdoors. But he cleaned house on the "World" riders... For Hampshire to win, think what would have happened if Savatgy, Osborne, Cianciarulo, J-Mart, A-Mart, Plessinger and even Nichols were running that race, where would the "Worlds" best have finished??? Yeah, yeah, the age rules, etc....

Or Anderson at Maggiora? Beat the "World" riders, including Herlings in his first moto before he had ever won an AMA outdoors moto. The US team was robbed on that day, but hey you have to do it on the track and after the incident, he couldn't ride moto 2.

These dudes are fast on both sides of the pond... PERIOD. But if a single selected event is your standard, that standard can be destroyed in an instant.
That was an awesome race and I was pretty proud to be an American on that day, but that was a fairground track.
mxb2
3/16/2022 8:34am
Press516 wrote:
Remember Hampshire going 1-1 in MX2 in 2017 at WW Ranch? At that point, he had never even won a single moto in the AMA outdoors...

Come on man, dont post facts.on here. Lol
Leave Us To
3/16/2022 9:04am
agn5008 wrote:
I just don’t understand why you guys argue about this. I think we’d all love to see every one of these guys line up together for...
I just don’t understand why you guys argue about this. I think we’d all love to see every one of these guys line up together for a full true World MX championship. None of us have any idea who would win. Hell, Tomac could win one year, Gajser the next then Herlings the year after. Then what would that prove? I’ll tell you what it would prove… It would prove that they’re all bad ass at riding dirt bikes. Which we all already know that sooo 🤷‍♂️
Me neither especially since Hampshire going 1 1 in 2017 has zip to do with Herlings racing the Nationals? Even with a new thread for their ax grinding they still can't let go in this thread.
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
3/16/2022 9:15am
Hope so. Tomac gonna smoke him.
Leave Us To
3/16/2022 11:07am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2022 11:49am
Sour grapes lol.. I could give 2 shits about who rides or wins it. Its a BS event where everyone else benefits financially from it EXCEPT...
What about American pride?

MXoN is a great race and historically a place where racers rise to the occasion with legendary rides with Magoo's Trophees des Nations and Motocross des Nations sweep coming to mind. Roczen 2014 Latvia overcame bike issues and helped bring home the title to Germany. Max Anstie waxing the field both motos 2017 Matterley Basin. Team France winning five years in a row.

Not to mention the all time upset, Team USA's first win in 1981. Funny I don't remember Hansen, Bailey, LaPorte or Sun complaining about the lack of points or purse money either.

NorCal1975
3/16/2022 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2022 1:58pm
Sorry for the long post. I see pros and cons to both series. Way easier to travel in the US for sure but the distances are very long in some cases. This is probably part of why the gates at the GPs are often only half full at times, plus the cost and no purse in GPs as has been discussed.

The GP riders are incredible at Motocross, the top 10 - 15 guys over there in each class are really fast and talented for sure. But, as it has been noted on here thousands of times, it is always hard to compare American riders to Euro riders simply because the Euros have a huge advantage in the amount of seat time they get on motocross tracks despite the difficult European weather in the winter.

Honestly it is pretty freaking amazing the US guys are even in the same conversation given how much time they spend per year training for supercross. The American riders have really learned to adapt, which is not easy. And for those that have not ridden a proper supercross track, the difference between the two styles of riding is crazy huge (I have spun laps when I was younger and dumber and it was always friggin scary! lol). IMO GNCC is better motocross training than Supercross is by a mile. You hold it wide open on a supercross track and you will be in the hospital after half a lap.

So that said, I do think the top 15 -20 Euro guys are every bit as fast as the top 15-20 American riders on motocross tracks for sure, and the US has looked really bad at Nations most of the last 10 years (though we let a couple slip away, Ernee and Maggiora)

I think the MXGP series is marred by some of the track choices/locations. The US has had a few crappy tracks over the years, but generally the track quality is a lot more consistent. My boys and I watch every MXGP round and some the tracks are incredible, some are absolute garbage I would not drive 20 minutes to ride (admit I am spoiled). And ending your series in Turkey and Oman on terrible tracks in front of 100 fans is a bummer. I am assuming Oman will be bad, have no idea what it actually will look like. I know they are trying to grow the sport, but still...

Still love watching both series and will be excited to go nations this year. Watching the Euro fans is half the fun!

Oh, and it would be awesome if Herlings came over, he would do great if he handles the heat ok (which I think he does), but I doubt it happens.
HusqFan3
3/16/2022 1:12pm
flarider wrote:
Does it makes sense to y'all to send Eli Tomac over for an MXGP round or two for fun during our AMA season?
Not sure what your point is... Herlings is out of MXGP title contention but would be the favorite to win the nationals if he were allowed to race. That's not even slightly analogous to ET3 going to race a couple of the GP's...
Roczoff
3/16/2022 2:33pm
flarider wrote:
Does it makes sense to y'all to send Eli Tomac over for an MXGP round or two for fun during our AMA season?
HusqFan3 wrote:
Not sure what your point is... Herlings is out of MXGP title contention but would be the favorite to win the nationals if he were allowed...
Not sure what your point is... Herlings is out of MXGP title contention but would be the favorite to win the nationals if he were allowed to race. That's not even slightly analogous to ET3 going to race a couple of the GP's...
Even if Tomac were out of title contention, he wouldn't be going to Europe because his US sponsors pay for him to represent them here, where they sell their products.

I also wonder how the factories fund their US/GP teams. If each is given a specific amount to run their own program, then you'd have a tricky negotiation to determine the value of the swap. Kawi USA would put a huge number on him, the MXGP operation probably less.

It'd be fun to see a full-on effort by a top rider switching over, but it's super unlikely.
Gator 4
3/16/2022 7:48pm
Would love to see it. Maybe we can start a Go Fund Me page for him... lol
vet40
3/17/2022 3:24am
Which is a big shame.

Lots of you guys think it’s trolling when we mention US riders are national riders. But it’s isn’t trolling, it’s just being factual.

Nothing should come before the pride to represent your country at the Mxon, or the chance to be a true world champion racing MXGP.

It’s sad in general the US riders don’t get it. Legacy’s arnt made from bank balances.

Ironically though IMO a US MXGP champ
Would make more then a US SX champ, when uu consider all revenue streams. Social media etc
mxb2
3/17/2022 3:49am
vet40 wrote:
Which is a big shame. Lots of you guys think it’s trolling when we mention US riders are national riders. But it’s isn’t trolling, it’s just...
Which is a big shame.

Lots of you guys think it’s trolling when we mention US riders are national riders. But it’s isn’t trolling, it’s just being factual.

Nothing should come before the pride to represent your country at the Mxon, or the chance to be a true world champion racing MXGP.

It’s sad in general the US riders don’t get it. Legacy’s arnt made from bank balances.

Would make more then a US SX champ, when uu consider all revenue streams. Social media etc
The careers for the top guys to be champs isnt that long, get as many wins, titles money , etc as possible .You always. say it isnt about the money, so why isnt gajser,herlings febvre racing for a salary of 50k a year. You know, according to you the prestige, integrity of the sport. You are a fool if you think $$ doesnt come into play.
fourfourone
3/17/2022 5:18am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2022 5:19am
vet40 wrote:
Which is a big shame. Lots of you guys think it’s trolling when we mention US riders are national riders. But it’s isn’t trolling, it’s just...
Which is a big shame.

mxb2 wrote:
The careers for the top guys to be champs isnt that long, get as many wins, titles money , etc as possible .You always. say it...
The careers for the top guys to be champs isnt that long, get as many wins, titles money , etc as possible .You always. say it isnt about the money, so why isnt gajser,herlings febvre racing for a salary of 50k a year. You know, according to you the prestige, integrity of the sport. You are a fool if you think $$ doesnt come into play.
I all about red, white and blue pride but for these riders to risk injury and potentially loose $$$$$ just isn't worth it to them or the teams anymore. MXDN makes a TON of money, and the riders see 0 of it. Why go there and spend 100k to race to make other people money. Pride or no pride, why risk your lift and your career to make someone else a ton of money.
mxb2
3/17/2022 6:02am
vet40 wrote:
Which is a big shame.

mxb2 wrote:
The careers for the top guys to be champs isnt that long, get as many wins, titles money , etc as possible .You always. say it...
I all about red, white and blue pride but for these riders to risk injury and potentially loose $$$$$ just isn't worth it to them or...
I all about red, white and blue pride but for these riders to risk injury and potentially loose $$$$$ just isn't worth it to them or the teams anymore. MXDN makes a TON of money, and the riders see 0 of it. Why go there and spend 100k to race to make other people money. Pride or no pride, why risk your lift and your career to make someone else a ton of money.
But but but vet40 said its not about the $, they should ride free for honor. Lol.
ATKpilot99
3/17/2022 6:19am
I guess this is an MXdN thread now ? Anyway whether we go or not and no matter how our guys do it's still the race I look forward to most every year . It's too bad interest has waned here . Will the people saying it doesn't mean anything feel the same if our guys win again ?
early
Fantasy
2212th
3/17/2022 6:24am
vet40 wrote:
Which is a big shame.

It's a shame you can't recognize that the mxgp series is not as high of a level as you think it is. It's not MOTOGP, its WSBK at best.
early
Fantasy
2212th
3/17/2022 7:11am
vet40 wrote:
Which is a big shame.

early wrote:
It's a shame you can't recognize that the mxgp series is not as high of a level as you think it is. It's not MOTOGP, its...
It's a shame you can't recognize that the mxgp series is not as high of a level as you think it is. It's not MOTOGP, its WSBK at best.
All "World" championships are not the same.
Leave Us To
3/17/2022 8:26am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2022 8:55am
mxb2 wrote:
I all about red, white and blue pride but for these riders to risk injury and potentially loose $$$$$ just isn't worth it to them or...
mxb2 wrote:
But but but vet40 said its not about the $, they should ride free for honor. Lol.
We've gone from who has the fastest racers to the MXoN and now to which is most popular series. Wonder what it will be next?

As an American, I am embarassed the importance of the MXoN to many here clearly varies depending on if the US is dominating or not. For the popularity debate, people who care more than I do could research TV numbers further to add more than social media numbers into the discussion.
Leave Us To
3/17/2022 8:35am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2022 8:37am
mxb2 wrote:
You've made your point it is all about money to you and for some riders.
Glad LaPorte, Hansen, Bailey, and Sun felt differently.

Your "logic" about the MXGP riders and 50K has zero to do with motivation for the MXoN. Hope you didn't hurt your back making that stretch.
mxb2
3/17/2022 8:59am
mxb2 wrote:
You've made your point it is all about money to you and for some riders. Glad LaPorte, Hansen, Bailey, and Sun felt differently. Your "logic" about...

Your "logic" about the MXGP riders and 50K has zero to do with motivation for the MXoN. Hope you didn't hurt your back making that stretch.
Not my life, career, And make sure you tell jett kroc ac etc to sign for less next year at contract time, and tell your boss your theory . $$ isnt important to you. And you made your point they t should ride free This isnt the 80 s
ATKpilot99
3/17/2022 9:12am
mxb2 wrote:
You've made your point it is all about money to you and for some riders. Glad LaPorte, Hansen, Bailey, and Sun felt differently. Your "logic" about...

mxb2 wrote:
Not my life, career, And make sure you tell jett kroc ac etc to sign for less next year at contract time, and tell your boss...
Not my life, career, And make sure you tell jett kroc ac etc to sign for less next year at contract time, and tell your boss your theory . $$ isnt important to you. And you made your point they t should ride free This isnt the 80 s
I don't think anyone is saying money isn't important , it's just not the only motivator . What does it not being the 80s have to do with it ? People needed money back then too . Wanting to race for your country on the world stage is the point and there are still riders willing to do that .
vet40
3/17/2022 9:40am
mxb2 wrote:
Not my life, career, And make sure you tell jett kroc ac etc to sign for less next year at contract time, and tell your boss...
The best riders with MXGP will be multi millionaires just like in AMA.

So why your plucking 50k out the sky is a bit strange.

Point is if you AMA champ your already a made man, then heading to MXGP to become potentially secure a world title & go down is history as best in the world priceless.

Off course there would be huge salaries involved whichever series your at the sharp end. So in that case money doesn’t hVe to be the main focus.

Pride to win for your country.

vet40
3/17/2022 9:41am
early wrote:
It's a shame you can't recognize that the mxgp series is not as high of a level as you think it is. It's not MOTOGP, its...
Maybe if USA got involved it would grow.

It’s not the MXGP fault you don’t leave your own country.
Titan1
3/17/2022 10:07am
early wrote:
vet40 wrote:
Maybe if USA got involved it would grow.

It’s not the MXGP fault you don’t leave your own country.
Exactly…it will never be what you want it to be (and think that it is) until Americans start participating. It will never really and truly be a “world” title until Americans start participating, because without Americans, the “world” in “world” champion will always have air quotes around it because he didn’t beat all of the best in the world…therefore the title of “world” champion is in name only, and not in the sense that they are the best in the world because they beat all the best talent in the world…
mxb2
3/17/2022 10:09am

mxb2 wrote:
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I don't think anyone is saying money isn't important , it's just not the only motivator . What does it not being the 80s have to...
I don't think anyone is saying money isn't important , it's just not the only motivator . What does it not being the 80s have to do with it ? People needed money back then too . Wanting to race for your country on the world stage is the point and there are still riders willing to do that .
I want the best riders there, that want to go. The boss cuts the check and makes the decisions.
mxb2
3/17/2022 10:11am
mxb2 wrote:
vet40 wrote:
The best riders with MXGP will be multi millionaires just like in AMA. So why your plucking 50k out the sky is a bit strange. Point...
The best riders with MXGP will be multi millionaires just like in AMA.

So why your plucking 50k out the sky is a bit strange.

Point is if you AMA champ your already a made man, then heading to MXGP to become potentially secure a world title & go down is history as best in the world priceless.

Off course there would be huge salaries involved whichever series your at the sharp end. So in that case money doesn’t hVe to be the main focus.

Pride to win for your country.

Lol ok man.

Post a reply to: Sould Herlings go for AMA motocross this year ?

The Latest