Sorry Gypsy, but Jett not as talented as James Stewart

9/16/2021 7:28pm
I say Stew is better as well, but it's too hard to compare now anyway. Jett is competing against a full field (almost) of farmed mx...
I say Stew is better as well, but it's too hard to compare now anyway. Jett is competing against a full field (almost) of farmed mx kids who have been brought up to be racers since they were babies, including himself. James was one of the first kids that fit this description, his competition was not on the level of Jett's competition.
B Lenny wrote:
That is the dumbest shit I've heard in a long time..Ask Chad Reed...Dry
B Lennys dream

deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
9/16/2021 7:28pm
Stewart has the same amount of premier titles as Chad Reed.. So.. whos the real over rated one.. WhistlingWhistling
B Lenny
9/16/2021 7:43pm
I say Stew is better as well, but it's too hard to compare now anyway. Jett is competing against a full field (almost) of farmed mx...
I say Stew is better as well, but it's too hard to compare now anyway. Jett is competing against a full field (almost) of farmed mx kids who have been brought up to be racers since they were babies, including himself. James was one of the first kids that fit this description, his competition was not on the level of Jett's competition.
B Lenny wrote:
B Lennys dream [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/09/16/510407/s1200_9EFFC24A_F48A_45AD_868E_A9C2C40ABD81.jpg[/img]
B Lennys dream

Hank_Thrill
9/16/2021 11:19pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2021 11:21pm
Cali wrote:
2004 was JS7 second season, & this was Jets second season. No doubt Stew is the best we have ever seen, but it’s hard to even...
2004 was JS7 second season, & this was Jets second season. No doubt Stew is the best we have ever seen, but it’s hard to even compare the two generations. Bikes are so much better & so is the competition these days. Back then, you didn’t have places like Moto sand box etc. But, 100% JS7 was on another level than his competition.
Stewart turned pro in 2002 at age 16. Pretty sure he made a record for youngest person to win a SX race since his birthday is in December. He wasn’t a month into being 16 when he won.

2002 outdoor champion
2003 dominated the races he was in but missed the beginning of the season due to his Las Vegas SX crash.
2004 dominated a field of 250f’s on a KX125.

That’s three seasons.

That said, I agree with you. I’m tired of these comparison threads and expectation threads (I.e., who will be the next GOAT). Why can’t we just enjoy the racers for who they are without premature comparisons?

The Shop

Hank_Thrill
9/16/2021 11:22pm
B Lennys dream [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/09/16/510407/s1200_9EFFC24A_F48A_45AD_868E_A9C2C40ABD81.jpg[/img]
B Lennys dream

Is that the band 6 minus 1? Pretty sure I’ve seen their music video. Don’t remember a woman being in the band tho.
felpro
9/17/2021 12:42am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2021 12:51am
This is paraphrasing what was said. A summary of sorts.

What you saw with James was this spectacular talent with a program. Ricky was first-to-market having a program. Ac has been in a program since 14. He's been institutionalised from that time.

This is the unpopular opinion part. Jett is as good talent-wise as James. The difference being the disparity to the rest of the field. You're not seeing a dude that is allowed to win every moto. They're not letting Jett go go balls to the wall to go 1-1 every single weekend. No one ever said to James "Rein it in"

Every single rider in the top 15 has access to the same style of program. He's racing dudes on the same program.
The level of the sport has stopped these crazy anomalies (James).

I am sure that if Jett went as fast as he could he would win some races by a mile but watch more from a hospital bed. Both Jett and Hunter have a tendency to go into the first or second corner in 4th or 5th and come out in 8th or 9th. I don't know, but I would bet that James went into first or second corners in 4th or 5th and came out in 1st or 2nd. That's my impression.

Jett rides like Stefan Everts in terms of looking so deliberate, looking slow but circulating fast. Jmart rides more like James than anyone else.

Jett and Hunter are possibly the best thing to happen to the sport since the heightened involvement of social media and the proliferation of podcasts and pre-shows and post shows. They will be around for ten to fifteen years and will raise the profile of motocross exponentially.

9/17/2021 1:17am
B Lenny wrote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say 99% of you Cats from outside the US never even seen James race..There was alway's an...
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say 99% of you Cats from outside the US never even seen James race..There was alway's an "Oh Shit"! moment...Dry
scott_nz wrote:
this, I saw him race for the first time at Atlanta sx in 04, we were on a dealer trip and Daryl Hurley was racing, we...
this,

I saw him race for the first time at Atlanta sx in 04, we were on a dealer trip and Daryl Hurley was racing, we ran into him in the pits, and he said watching him was like watching a video game, he could understand how Ricky and Everts went so fast, but James corner speed and how he hit everything flat out was something out of this world,
Bet you that was a good trip, a bunch of Kiwis on the piss in the US!
SilverSpurs
9/17/2021 1:17am
davis224 wrote:
To the point about James not racing as tough of competition as Jett... you dont view James' competition as being as good because, well, they went...
To the point about James not racing as tough of competition as Jett... you dont view James' competition as being as good because, well, they went up against James. Hepler, Millsaps, Short, Tedesco, Roncada, were far from nobodies. When Hepler was on, James was about the only rider he couldn't beat. He waxed Villopoto on multiple occasions but had bones made of glass and a cheap helmet.

Once again, this is why I hate the "entertainment" that comes from this guy. He knows damn well that the vast majority of people know James was the biggest talent to ever grace this sport, and saying something like this is a sure fore way to rile everyone up, engage him, and get to talking about him, which gets more eyes and ears on the stuff he puts out, which pads his bank account. Doesn't have to be true, just controversial and entertaining. Closer to idiocracy by the day!
"He knows damn well that the vast majority of people know James was the biggest talent to ever grace this sport, blah blah blah"

Riders like Sten Lundin, Jeff Smith, Joel Robert, DeCoster then the famous Americans like Smith, Hannah, Lackey to Everts, Ricky Carmichael and Cairoli can all lay claim to that title.

Bubba was lightening fast and fearless but if staying healthy and reliable while accumulating championships are a part of talented... well.

Jett is just a joey at the moment but his game is already pretty rounded
mccread
9/17/2021 2:07am
Herlings and Roczen won races at 15, Prado was two-time world champ at 18 and beat Eli on a 250 at Red Bud, Jett is brilliant and absolutely a generational talent but I wouldn’t say he’s better than those guys or Stewart at a similar age on pure talent so pretty strange to say that and ignore Herlings or Roczen in that statement. Everts was the youngest world champion at 18 at the time and got top ten in AMA premier class supercross as a teenager with no preparation just months later.

Right now, Tom Vialle is pretty amazing too and I would say a similar level of talent and very smooth and precise like Jett but just doesn’t get the exposure Jett has had. Kay are Wolf just won a GP moto at 16 but does Gypsy even know about him? Jett is up there and is amazing but to say only Stewart had Jett’s level of talent is wrong. I don’t think he is above some of those guys I’ve mentioned, probably slightly below some of them.

Some Aussie bias I think!

Chappa
9/17/2021 2:34am
Looks like Gypsy got the reaction he wanted.

Is Jett on the same level as James at the same age? That is not debatable in my opinion. James' stats are far superior.

Are the fields deeper today than in James' time. Can of worms, you can only race those on the gate at the time.

I have tried to explain to people how James rode a dirt bike. It is hard to articulate how amazing he was on any bike, especially a 125. How he saw a track and the lines and rhythms he did was unique to James, he set the benchmark. To me, he is the most creative and out-of-the-box racer I have ever seen.

Coming from OZ I was lucky enough to see him race in person quite a few times. I just shake my head at what he could do. His skill level was fascinating to me as I could not understand how he did it and what he did. The best I could come up with was that you had to go James speed to do James things. The faster he rode the more creative he was but it also heightened the risk-reward benefits.

If he was on track I never took my eyes off him.

Jett to me is a far more calculated rider, he seems to be a mix of Everts and Dungey, who wouldn't want to be compared to those dudes? Jett will develop his own identity as his career develops, James had already established his identity before he hit seniors. That to me separates to generational debate.

Just my 2 cents.

I will leave you to argue over this. Talking SX only. Was James to fastest I ever saw? No. James was the most creative and unique I have ever seen. I think the fastest I have ever seen anyone race SX was Roczen in 2017 prior to his injury. Might be worth a new thread so as not to ruin this one though.

jemcee
9/17/2021 2:36am
mccread wrote:
Herlings and Roczen won races at 15, Prado was two-time world champ at 18 and beat Eli on a 250 at Red Bud, Jett is brilliant...
Herlings and Roczen won races at 15, Prado was two-time world champ at 18 and beat Eli on a 250 at Red Bud, Jett is brilliant and absolutely a generational talent but I wouldn’t say he’s better than those guys or Stewart at a similar age on pure talent so pretty strange to say that and ignore Herlings or Roczen in that statement. Everts was the youngest world champion at 18 at the time and got top ten in AMA premier class supercross as a teenager with no preparation just months later.

Right now, Tom Vialle is pretty amazing too and I would say a similar level of talent and very smooth and precise like Jett but just doesn’t get the exposure Jett has had. Kay are Wolf just won a GP moto at 16 but does Gypsy even know about him? Jett is up there and is amazing but to say only Stewart had Jett’s level of talent is wrong. I don’t think he is above some of those guys I’ve mentioned, probably slightly below some of them.

Some Aussie bias I think!

Yeah he is essentially blind to anything other than the United States! I could almost guarantee he has no idea who DeWolf is
9/17/2021 2:50am
TeamGreen wrote:
Wanna know how a show host comes up with a comparison like this? He gets REALLY HIGH before the show. :lol: I think Jett is damn...
Wanna know how a show host comes up with a comparison like this? He gets REALLY HIGH before the show.
Grinning
I think Jett is damn cool and rides like a bad ass; but, I doubt that even HE feels this is a viable subject.
...it gets a lot of clicks to make a claim that like. And kudos to Gypsy for knowing how to engage an audience, but I still...
...it gets a lot of clicks to make a claim that like. And kudos to Gypsy for knowing how to engage an audience, but I still gotta call him on it. I mean, we are talking about James Stewart.
Talking about who??
mmcmx
9/17/2021 2:54am
I love Jett but this talk is silly. Roczen, Herlings or Prado all had won way more at his age. Heck Prado was doble world champion and on 450's at his age.
CPR
9/17/2021 3:04am
B Lenny wrote:
This Chad Reed?

davis224
Fantasy
165th
9/17/2021 3:08am
davis224 wrote:
To the point about James not racing as tough of competition as Jett... you dont view James' competition as being as good because, well, they went...
To the point about James not racing as tough of competition as Jett... you dont view James' competition as being as good because, well, they went up against James. Hepler, Millsaps, Short, Tedesco, Roncada, were far from nobodies. When Hepler was on, James was about the only rider he couldn't beat. He waxed Villopoto on multiple occasions but had bones made of glass and a cheap helmet.

Once again, this is why I hate the "entertainment" that comes from this guy. He knows damn well that the vast majority of people know James was the biggest talent to ever grace this sport, and saying something like this is a sure fore way to rile everyone up, engage him, and get to talking about him, which gets more eyes and ears on the stuff he puts out, which pads his bank account. Doesn't have to be true, just controversial and entertaining. Closer to idiocracy by the day!
[i]"He knows damn well that the vast majority of people know James was the biggest talent to ever grace this sport, blah blah blah"[/i] Riders like...
"He knows damn well that the vast majority of people know James was the biggest talent to ever grace this sport, blah blah blah"

Riders like Sten Lundin, Jeff Smith, Joel Robert, DeCoster then the famous Americans like Smith, Hannah, Lackey to Everts, Ricky Carmichael and Cairoli can all lay claim to that title.

Bubba was lightening fast and fearless but if staying healthy and reliable while accumulating championships are a part of talented... well.

Jett is just a joey at the moment but his game is already pretty rounded
I guess I should have said "one of the biggest" since it is subjective, but I feel like we're defining talent differently. A lot of people worked harder than James and built the stats to crush his, but the mind blowing things he always did "living off of sugar water and powdered donuts" that he was just naturally capable of is what I'm calling talent. I wasn't always a fan while he was racing, but even if you weren't a fan, you damn sure wanted to watch him ride.
kawasa84
9/17/2021 4:01am
JamesReed wrote:
Yeah, I'm a huge JS259 fanboy, but this Gypsy guy is right. When Jett jumped on the CRF, it was still considered a lesser bike than...
Yeah, I'm a huge JS259 fanboy, but this Gypsy guy is right. When Jett jumped on the CRF, it was still considered a lesser bike than the Kawi and the Yamaha. For him to be 16, or 17 whatever age he was; to be competitive in SX in his first season was pretty G-Damn impressive.

That's Bubba's claim to fame, compared to Hepler, Millsaps, Villopoto, Dungey, Canard, Bagget.

The young age at which they were right-in-the-mix, is the big difference, not the overall success of their career
Titan1 wrote:
Bubba, RC…those guys weren’t “in the mix” at 16 or 17 years old…they were dominating!
TeamGreen wrote:
BOOM!

The CRF was/is a lesser bike?
Heck JS was smoking the 250f's with his 125.
Does anyone remember the year Yamaha kept Brett Metcalfe on a 125 to still promote that bike racing against the 4 strokes of the era. Nope, neither do I. But he did.
Had it been JS, it would've been another Championship year, however he moved up to the 250 that year.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
9/17/2021 4:20am
Let me start by saying I don’t know anything about this argument, other than the titles of the thread.

Jett is a Phenomenal talent, a once every 8-10 year talent, but James and Ricky talent? Naw.

A 16 year old James would’ve thrashed that class, he wouldn’t have needed help to win the title, same goes for RC.

Jett is like a Glover, he can win on any given day, but he’s not dominating, Stewy and RC dominated.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
9/17/2021 5:49am
Deadric wrote:
Stew was good but how people go around thinking he was the greatest thing since sliced bread is beyond me. He wasnt even the best rider...
Stew was good but how people go around thinking he was the greatest thing since sliced bread is beyond me. He wasnt even the best rider of his generation, I'd go as far as to say he wasn't even the second best of his generation.

Is he more talented than Jett? To early to tell in my opinion. Keeping a bike on two wheels is a great talent to have and James severely lacked in that department.
Why comment when it’s obvious you don’t watch this sport.
FARANG
9/17/2021 5:53am
Whilst their talent is comparable, Jett doesn't appear to be a flat track bully.

He certainly isn't a drugs cheat. Unlike Stewart.

So I'd go with Jett on this one.
9/17/2021 6:20am
FARANG wrote:
Whilst their talent is comparable, Jett doesn't appear to be a flat track bully. He certainly isn't a drugs cheat. Unlike Stewart. So I'd go with...
Whilst their talent is comparable, Jett doesn't appear to be a flat track bully.

And I thought B Lenny's posts were dumb...
davistld01
9/17/2021 6:45am
B Lenny wrote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say 99% of you Cats from outside the US never even seen James race..There was alway's an...
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say 99% of you Cats from outside the US never even seen James race..There was alway's an "Oh Shit"! moment...Dry
It can't be re-lived, but even watching a YouTube clip of James on his #259 Kawasaki will always leave me sitting with my mouth open in awe. Watching James and RC battle on their 450's...same thing. Absolute awe. James just "saw" things differently, had the supreme confidence that he was able to do pretty much whatever he wanted on the bike...and he executed.

Yeah...many "Oh, Shit" moments.
LungButter
9/17/2021 6:53am
Gypsy is one level above Johnny Hopper.

Both of them stay ‘relevant’ with click bait.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
9/17/2021 6:55am
How can the Gypsy dude have this conversation and then have this opinion about Jett. He is going for clickbait obviously and it's working for him.

Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
9/17/2021 6:58am
DGE.532
9/17/2021 7:04am
UpTiTe wrote:
Let me start by saying I don’t know anything about this argument, other than the titles of the thread. Jett is a Phenomenal talent, a once...
Let me start by saying I don’t know anything about this argument, other than the titles of the thread.

Jett is a Phenomenal talent, a once every 8-10 year talent, but James and Ricky talent? Naw.

A 16 year old James would’ve thrashed that class, he wouldn’t have needed help to win the title, same goes for RC.

Jett is like a Glover, he can win on any given day, but he’s not dominating, Stewy and RC dominated.
Well said. Becoming obvious this is old guys that have actually been around to see all the greats AND actually know what it takes to do what james did, vs the participation trophy kids/keyboard warriors. Did james leave a bunch of titles on the table pushing every edge of the envelope every time he lined up? Yep. Backing it off and playing it safe just wasn't in his make up and if you can't respect the brass balls that takes in this thrilling but incredibly dangerous sport, idk what to tell you
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
9/17/2021 7:05am
bigk218
Fantasy
3155th
9/17/2021 7:40am
I’d say Jett could be more closely compared to maybe J Law than James at the moment. Only difference is Jett eats donuts on the podium and j law packed juicy wintergreen fatties
B Lenny
9/17/2021 7:43am
UpTiTe wrote:
Let me start by saying I don’t know anything about this argument, other than the titles of the thread. Jett is a Phenomenal talent, a once...

DGE.532 wrote:
Well said. Becoming obvious this is old guys that have actually been around to see all the greats AND actually know what it takes to do...
Well said. Becoming obvious this is old guys that have actually been around to see all the greats AND actually know what it takes to do what james did, vs the participation trophy kids/keyboard warriors. Did james leave a bunch of titles on the table pushing every edge of the envelope every time he lined up? Yep. Backing it off and playing it safe just wasn't in his make up and if you can't respect the brass balls that takes in this thrilling but incredibly dangerous sport, idk what to tell you
Wink
jjavaman
Fantasy
3755th
9/17/2021 10:05am
FARANG wrote:
Whilst their talent is comparable, Jett doesn't appear to be a flat track bully. He certainly isn't a drugs cheat. Unlike Stewart. So I'd go with...

There’s stupid and then there’s you
TeamGreen
9/17/2021 10:27am
FARANG wrote:

Wow

Aren't you a negative little kid...?

Get off your mom's computer and go outside & play.

Post a reply to: Sorry Gypsy, but Jett not as talented as James Stewart

The Latest