Sorry Gypsy, but Jett not as talented as James Stewart

MXD
9/16/2021 12:12pm
Radical wrote:
Everyone's career is different. First time I saw JS259 race SX, he crashed twice and still won! Quite impressive. But, he crashed a lot, and his...
Everyone's career is different. First time I saw JS259 race SX, he crashed twice and still won! Quite impressive.
But, he crashed a lot, and his stats in MX are not even close to dominant. He's tied for 6th all time with Roczen.
Dungey, a rider without a lot of Wow! moments, is arguably more dominant than Stewart in MX. The numbers don't lie.

IMO, if Stewart had not gotten distracted with Bubba's World, his stats would've been huge, like RC's, and he most likely could've gotten close to or surpassed MC's 72 SX wins.

But he didn't.

He had a great career, but the last few seasons was not dominant, and he had trouble staying off the ground.

I'm a big fan of JS7, but flashy, and doing incredible quads that no one else would even think of doing, does not mean the rider is better. Winning, and winning championships determines who's better.

So, let's see what Jettson, (and Ferrandis, and Sexton, and the other up and comers) can do over the coming seasons.

Whoever retires with the most championships, and the most wins WINS!
MXD wrote:
Fun fact. The entire season of Bubba's World was filmed over a few weeks when he was out for the season with an injury. I don't...
Fun fact. The entire season of Bubba's World was filmed over a few weeks when he was out for the season with an injury. I don't think the show had any impact on his career.
Radical wrote:
There were 24 episodes and 2 seasons. It's hard to believe that was all filmed in a few weeks. It always seemed to me that that's...
There were 24 episodes and 2 seasons.
It's hard to believe that was all filmed in a few weeks. It always seemed to me that that's when he generally lost his edge, for it to never fully return.
In my opinion it was a huge career mistake.
Hindsight is 20/20 (sometimes).
I can't remember exactly where I heard it. IIRR, I think Sorby said it in an interview one time. Maybe he was talking about just one of the seasons, I honestly don't remember but I thought it was interesting.
visser62
9/16/2021 12:16pm
visser62 wrote:
In 2004 James won 23 out of 24 motos in his third season and at the age of 18. Jett will be 18 and it will...
In 2004 James won 23 out of 24 motos in his third season and at the age of 18.

Jett will be 18 and it will be his third season, so that's the mark.
Cali wrote:
2004 was JS7 second season, & this was Jets second season. No doubt Stew is the best we have ever seen, but it’s hard to even...
2004 was JS7 second season, & this was Jets second season. No doubt Stew is the best we have ever seen, but it’s hard to even compare the two generations. Bikes are so much better & so is the competition these days. Back then, you didn’t have places like Moto sand box etc. But, 100% JS7 was on another level than his competition.
No, 2002 was Bubba's first season and he won the title. 2003 was his second season and he missed the first four rounds, then won every moto for the rest of the year. 2004 was his third and he went 23-1. Jesus just typing that out I still can't believe that's how well he did. He lost three overalls in his entire career in the 125 class.
DGE.532
9/16/2021 12:55pm
2 strokes were on par with the 4 strokes? That's laughably absurd to those of us who were actually racing at the time. Maybe in 02, by 04 it was all over but the shouting
9/16/2021 1:04pm
Brent wrote:
No one in the recorded history of this sport was as talented as James.

No one.
Didnt Ricky win 10 Championships, 2 Perfect seasons and beat Stewart Heads up more times than James beat him?
Yes, but we are talking talent here. Ricky is hands down the best racer the sports had. But James could do shit no one else could, time and time again.

The Shop

felpro
9/16/2021 1:23pm
This all comes across like the boxer argument at the barbershop in Coming to America.

Cassius Clay was the baddest motherf***er and would have won every SX ever . . .
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
9/16/2021 1:41pm
From a different angle, is Jett better than Chad? Have my doubts. Pretty exceptional talent, though, it'd be great for us if he eclipses people like Stew. I'll settle for keeping himself more healthy than early JMart managed, who really is the better comp for what Jett is doing at this point.

stremme12
Fantasy
3700th
9/16/2021 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2021 1:46pm
B Lenny wrote:
No I'm tellin' you...Pourcel even said you can ride the Yamaha but not race it..Because it was unpredictable..I know you don't read that well...Dry
-MAVERICK- wrote:
The 2 strokes at that time were on par with the 4 strokes. As for the Yamaha, that's on James. He's the one that chose to...
The 2 strokes at that time were on par with the 4 strokes. As for the Yamaha, that's on James. He's the one that chose to sign for the big paycheck.

Now GFY!
James chose to ride the 125 when he had the 250f option. After round one he asked Kawasaki to race the 250f going forward but they told him no. Parts were already ordered from Japan to get him through the season. It was too late to switch to the 250f. He still went on to do well. He raced the 250f the last round and completely destroyed everyone. I think even Stewart will tell you that 250f was better than his 125 in 04.

I also think he was very happy to go from 05 to 06 and finally get on the 450.
Heggo
9/16/2021 1:56pm
To early to call and different paths with later start and be a little fair JS had more competitive bike against competition than Jet. Yamaha is that much better. Maybe 22 bike will be a lot closer and Jett will be even better? How many days to A1?
Phil109
9/16/2021 2:12pm
“The fastest way to kill something special is to compare it to something else.”

James had his time, let Jett have his. They are both special in their own right. It’s been what 20 years since James was 16....he owned THAT generation of small bore riders. Not Jett’s.
nate 415
9/16/2021 2:41pm
visser62 wrote:
James was a 16-year-old rookie and won 10 out of 12 races over Langston, Brown, and Reed. Why the hell is this still a conversation? Jett's...
James was a 16-year-old rookie and won 10 out of 12 races over Langston, Brown, and Reed. Why the hell is this still a conversation? Jett's amazing but come on.
1. Who was second in points in James undefeated year? (making a point)
2. Watch a James crash highlight vid.
Waay deeper field nowdays. I was impressed with James willingness to die then be beaten. To the edge and beyond should be his motto. I won a lot of bets with his fanboys. DNF was always on the table
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
9/16/2021 2:57pm
Jett is not comparable to Bubba. That is asinine.

Jett is over two seasons deep into his career outdoors. Bubba won the outdoor championship his first year while winning 19 out of 24 motos! Jett just won the championship with 8 out of 24 moto wins.
vtec_
9/16/2021 3:38pm
not even comparable

james was a once in a life time kind of guy in terms of talent. its actually phenomenal that he and rickys careers crossed paths

jett is def good but he is no standout, IMO.
APLMAN99
9/16/2021 3:44pm
visser62 wrote:
James was a 16-year-old rookie and won 10 out of 12 races over Langston, Brown, and Reed. Why the hell is this still a conversation? Jett's...
James was a 16-year-old rookie and won 10 out of 12 races over Langston, Brown, and Reed. Why the hell is this still a conversation? Jett's amazing but come on.
nate 415 wrote:
1. Who was second in points in James undefeated year? (making a point) 2. Watch a James crash highlight vid. Waay deeper field nowdays. I was...
Waay deeper field nowdays. I was impressed with James willingness to die then be beaten. To the edge and beyond should be his motto. I won a lot of bets with his fanboys. DNF was always on the table

The same guy who was second during RC's undefeated season in 2002.......

Making a point.
Titan1
9/16/2021 3:59pm
Stewart fundamentally changed the way people ride dirt bikes…he was a game changer, he raised the bar of what people thought was possible on a dirt bike…Jett hasn’t done that. Jett has some of the best technique around, and is very talented, but he’s not revolutionizing the sport and the way people ride dirt bikes….no comparison between the two.

It’s silly to talk about…
B Lenny
9/16/2021 4:18pm
Motox726! wrote:
Could you please?
B Lenny wrote:
EAD Crybaby...Laughing
Motox726! wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/09/16/510351/s1200_burn.jpg[/img]

Ima buy you an Ice Cream...Laughing

B Lenny
9/16/2021 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2021 5:35pm
visser62 wrote:
nate 415 wrote:
1. Who was second in points in James undefeated year? (making a point) 2. Watch a James crash highlight vid. Waay deeper field nowdays. I was...
And you lost a lot to..Now run tell that...Dry
B Lenny
9/16/2021 4:30pm
B Lenny wrote:
No I'm tellin' you...Pourcel even said you can ride the Yamaha but not race it..Because it was unpredictable..I know you don't read that well...Dry
-MAVERICK- wrote:
The 2 strokes at that time were on par with the 4 strokes. As for the Yamaha, that's on James. He's the one that chose to...
The 2 strokes at that time were on par with the 4 strokes. As for the Yamaha, that's on James. He's the one that chose to sign for the big paycheck.

Now GFY!
stremme12 wrote:
James chose to ride the 125 when he had the 250f option. After round one he asked Kawasaki to race the 250f going forward but they...
James chose to ride the 125 when he had the 250f option. After round one he asked Kawasaki to race the 250f going forward but they told him no. Parts were already ordered from Japan to get him through the season. It was too late to switch to the 250f. He still went on to do well. He raced the 250f the last round and completely destroyed everyone. I think even Stewart will tell you that 250f was better than his 125 in 04.

I also think he was very happy to go from 05 to 06 and finally get on the 450.
I was there...
9/16/2021 4:30pm
I say Stew is better as well, but it's too hard to compare now anyway. Jett is competing against a full field (almost) of farmed mx kids who have been brought up to be racers since they were babies, including himself. James was one of the first kids that fit this description, his competition was not on the level of Jett's competition.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
9/16/2021 4:42pm
731chopper wrote:
Jett is not comparable to Bubba. That is asinine. Jett is over two seasons deep into his career outdoors. Bubba won the outdoor championship his first...
Jett is not comparable to Bubba. That is asinine.

Jett is over two seasons deep into his career outdoors. Bubba won the outdoor championship his first year while winning 19 out of 24 motos! Jett just won the championship with 8 out of 24 moto wins.
Stewart vs Jett stats first 2 seasons

JS7 SX - 11 wins out of 18 races, 1 title
JS7 MX - 17 wins out of 19 races (overalls not motos), 1 title

Lawrence - 3 wins out of 15 races, 0 titles
Lawrence - 5 wins out of 24 races (i included his first 3 rounds in 2019), 1 title

Let's get real people. Stats dont lie, it isnt comparable at this point.
DGE.532
9/16/2021 4:48pm
Hey Lenny how u think big James would have reacted to a bunch of 5-10 place moto finishes like those poor put upon Lawrence kids put up this summer 🤔 😳 🤣🤣🤣🤣
B Lenny
9/16/2021 5:00pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2021 5:01pm
DGE.532 wrote:
Hey Lenny how u think big James would have reacted to a bunch of 5-10 place moto finishes like those poor put upon Lawrence kids put...
Hey Lenny how u think big James would have reacted to a bunch of 5-10 place moto finishes like those poor put upon Lawrence kids put up this summer 🤔 😳 🤣🤣🤣🤣
He would have kicked ass til both shoes were shitty...
Deadric
Fantasy
4155th
9/16/2021 6:18pm
Stew was good but how people go around thinking he was the greatest thing since sliced bread is beyond me. He wasnt even the best rider of his generation, I'd go as far as to say he wasn't even the second best of his generation.

Is he more talented than Jett? To early to tell in my opinion. Keeping a bike on two wheels is a great talent to have and James severely lacked in that department.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
9/16/2021 6:54pm
To the point about James not racing as tough of competition as Jett... you dont view James' competition as being as good because, well, they went up against James. Hepler, Millsaps, Short, Tedesco, Roncada, were far from nobodies. When Hepler was on, James was about the only rider he couldn't beat. He waxed Villopoto on multiple occasions but had bones made of glass and a cheap helmet.

Once again, this is why I hate the "entertainment" that comes from this guy. He knows damn well that the vast majority of people know James was the biggest talent to ever grace this sport, and saying something like this is a sure fore way to rile everyone up, engage him, and get to talking about him, which gets more eyes and ears on the stuff he puts out, which pads his bank account. Doesn't have to be true, just controversial and entertaining. Closer to idiocracy by the day!
B Lenny
9/16/2021 7:00pm
Deadric wrote:
Stew was good but how people go around thinking he was the greatest thing since sliced bread is beyond me. He wasnt even the best rider...
Stew was good but how people go around thinking he was the greatest thing since sliced bread is beyond me. He wasnt even the best rider of his generation, I'd go as far as to say he wasn't even the second best of his generation.

Is he more talented than Jett? To early to tell in my opinion. Keeping a bike on two wheels is a great talent to have and James severely lacked in that department.
Stupidest post thus far...Dry

B Lenny
9/16/2021 7:07pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2021 7:07pm
I say Stew is better as well, but it's too hard to compare now anyway. Jett is competing against a full field (almost) of farmed mx...
I say Stew is better as well, but it's too hard to compare now anyway. Jett is competing against a full field (almost) of farmed mx kids who have been brought up to be racers since they were babies, including himself. James was one of the first kids that fit this description, his competition was not on the level of Jett's competition.
That is the dumbest shit I've heard in a long time..Ask Chad Reed...Dry
DGE.532
9/16/2021 7:24pm
I'm still trying to figure out who this mind blowing competition is that's better than reed, kdub, rc4 etc etc

Post a reply to: Sorry Gypsy, but Jett not as talented as James Stewart

The Latest