Sorry Gypsy, but Jett not as talented as James Stewart

JMR1976
9/15/2021 10:18pm
There’s only one James Stewart! As far as talent goes there’s no one to compare him too.
JamesReed
9/15/2021 10:24pm
There probably won't ever be another JS7 or RC4, that's true. I like Jett's odds vs everyone but Ferrandis IMO.
bigk218
Fantasy
3155th
9/15/2021 10:24pm
There wasn’t a single time this year watching Jett where I stood up and paced around the house in disbelief with what I saw. There wasn’t a single lap watching James where I was able to sit down

Jett is amazing don’t get me wrong he will win a lot of championships but to even compare stew to anyone (maybeeeee rc… maybe) is a stretch.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
9/15/2021 11:11pm
Everyone's career is different. First time I saw JS259 race SX, he crashed twice and still won! Quite impressive.
But, he crashed a lot, and his stats in MX are not even close to dominant. He's tied for 6th all time with Roczen.
Dungey, a rider without a lot of Wow! moments, is arguably more dominant than Stewart in MX. The numbers don't lie.

IMO, if Stewart had not gotten distracted with Bubba's World, his stats would've been huge, like RC's, and he most likely could've gotten close to or surpassed MC's 72 SX wins.

But he didn't.

He had a great career, but the last few seasons was not dominant, and he had trouble staying off the ground.

I'm a big fan of JS7, but flashy, and doing incredible quads that no one else would even think of doing, does not mean the rider is better. Winning, and winning championships determines who's better.

So, let's see what Jettson, (and Ferrandis, and Sexton, and the other up and comers) can do over the coming seasons.

Whoever retires with the most championships, and the most wins WINS!

The Shop

Radical
Fantasy
2360th
9/15/2021 11:12pm
Oh, and yes, there will be another RC, MC, JS7, etc... Records are made to be broken.
9/16/2021 12:02am
I doubt any of you on the Jett side of this argument have seen BOTH Jett and Stewart ride in person.

I'm a huge Jett fan, and maybe he does win more titles than Stewart, but is he more talented? Not even close.

Whether or not you were a Stewart fan, you ALWAYS knew where he was on the track. Why? Because he routinely did things that would blow your mind. Jett is not at that level. Nobody has been since Stewart.

If any current rider has the potential to dominate, it's Jett. But he's not there yet. James had the attention of EVERYBODY since Anaheim 2002.

Jett is good. Jett isn't GREAT. Not yet.
Tumic
9/16/2021 1:00am
B Lenny wrote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say 99% of you Cats from outside the US never even seen James race..There was alway's an...
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say 99% of you Cats from outside the US never even seen James race..There was alway's an "Oh Shit"! moment...Dry
Saw him at the MxDn in -06, looked way faster than his laptimes. I think that James best years were on the two strokes. When it was time for the 450’s the other riders had catch up and James was not as special as he were on the 125 against the 250f’s
Crush
9/16/2021 1:59am
DGE.532 wrote:
Let me know when Jett smokes everybody on a 125 and has a perfect season, then we can have this discussion
James did smoke everyone on a 125, but he didn't have a perfect season until 2008.

Check back in on this thread in 2027?
9/16/2021 2:03am
I think if he was on the level of JS259 we would have had this conversation last year..
It’s already too late to compare them.
CPR
9/16/2021 2:29am
How can you compare the early years of someone who’s from another country, had to travel the world in a steep difficult learning curve, to someone who’s come up through the system from the comfort of their family home? You can’t really compare their early results fairly.

Stew was a legend, we have hindsight and the knowledge of his whole career to confirm that. Impressive as Stew’s early pro years were, Jett has come via a completely different road and so far all you have is 18 months worth of results while he’s still learning.

Let’s have this same conversation in five years and see. Until then you’re comparing apples with oranges.
Richy
9/16/2021 2:35am
Seems a bit early to be making comparisons, need to see how it shapes up over the years but he's well on his way to being something special and is obviously a fun kid and suuuper talented.

I never really understand the need to compare anyway, so many awesome dudes with their own strengths and legacies.
jemcee
9/16/2021 2:37am
I'm not on either side of this silly argument but I said this in the last thread

2 strokes expose extreme talent so much more than 4 strokes do..
9/16/2021 2:40am
jemcee wrote:
I'm not on either side of this silly argument but I said this in the last thread 2 strokes expose extreme talent so much more than...
I'm not on either side of this silly argument but I said this in the last thread

2 strokes expose extreme talent so much more than 4 strokes do..
Yeah that's a big point.
Crush
9/16/2021 3:00am
JamesReed wrote:
Stewart was the best 125 rider of all time, but he underachieved on big bikes for sure compared to that IMO.
B Lenny wrote:
Dude had an undefeated season Foo...Dry
He absolutely under-achieved. Undefeated season or not, ask James if he thinks he left shit on the table.
creature654
Fantasy
79th
9/16/2021 3:12am
Unpopular opinion: Justin Cooper has just as much, if not a better chance at having a more successful career than Jett at this point. Also I don’t ever remember a title that Stew won where his 2 biggest competitors handed it to him with injury, he was the best regardless of who was out there.
SilverSpurs
9/16/2021 3:26am
JamesReed wrote:
Stewart was the best 125 rider of all time, but he underachieved on big bikes for sure compared to that IMO.
B Lenny wrote:
Dude had an undefeated season Foo...Dry
Crush wrote:
He absolutely under-achieved. Undefeated season or not, ask James if he thinks he left shit on the table.
James later flamed out as a rider and as a person who was good to his word.
SilverSpurs
9/16/2021 3:37am
Unpopular opinion: Justin Cooper has just as much, if not a better chance at having a more successful career than Jett at this point. Also I...
Unpopular opinion: Justin Cooper has just as much, if not a better chance at having a more successful career than Jett at this point. Also I don’t ever remember a title that Stew won where his 2 biggest competitors handed it to him with injury, he was the best regardless of who was out there.
When is Justin going to start this career you speak of?

2022 is his 6th year as a Pro and he is yet to win the 250 title.

This year and last he finished behind Lawrence.

I think Jeremy channels Stew with his out of control riding, but the fact remains that apart from the start he has not passed #18 in a race yet. Lawrence has passed him- for the win.
Dirt_Dawg
Fantasy
2758th
9/16/2021 3:38am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2021 3:41am
How is this even up for debate? JS was a freak on a bike. JL is good but no where near JS talent and speed. Yall Nuts!
Motox726!
9/16/2021 3:54am
Titan1 wrote:
If Jett was a James Stewart kind of talent…Gypsy Tales wouldn’t have to convince anyone….NOBODY doubted Stewart was special and different and just better than everyone...
If Jett was a James Stewart kind of talent…Gypsy Tales wouldn’t have to convince anyone….NOBODY doubted Stewart was special and different and just better than everyone. Same with RC…same with MC is SX.

The best of the best…those generational talents…the guys that raise the bar and change game…words aren’t needed to make the case…their riding and results do it for them….domination, from day 1…Jett isn’t dominating…he going to win more titles and lots of races…but he isn’t dominating.
crusty_xx wrote:
They also didn't have to move to a different continent and adjust to a completely different lifestyle twice before turning 15. He certainly didn't dominate this...
They also didn't have to move to a different continent and adjust to a completely different lifestyle twice before turning 15.
He certainly didn't dominate this year but if he continues to progress like he did I'm not sure if anyone can challenge him next year. Just look at how much better he got from 20 to 21
B Lenny wrote:
:laugh: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/09/15/510286/s1200_KnifeSocket.jpg[/img]
Laughing

Could you please?
Speeddemon73
9/16/2021 5:14am Edited Date/Time 9/16/2021 5:15am
The problem with the current generation is that they are constantly trying to compare and justify that the current generation of racers is just as good or better than the golden ages of motocross. The racers who made these previous years of motocross GREAT, not as in good, but definitive years where motocross was amazing, these dudes were moving mountains, progressing the sport, and establishing a name for themselves in history. In short, these guys were badasses. Ricky Carmichael was the definition of perfection and domination. Jeremy McGrath was a supercross technical genius. James Stewart developed a style of riding that many have tried to copy but can't come close to the original. Also did things and developed new ways of going around the track (quading things in supercross that were never meant to be). More recently, Blake Baggett during his 250 days at Pro-Circuit was one of THE guys. He would hang back mid-pack for half the race then turn on the nitro and blow everyone's doors off and win. El Chupacabra at his finest.The list goes on, but you get my point that these guys were THE guys of the sport because they were special and had something no one else did. You didn't watch motocross on TV to see the race, you just wanted to see what each of these dudes was going to do every weekend. What is Jett going to be remembered for? Doughnuts? Ohh yeah he's the guy who ate doughnuts when he won a race. Cool... Nothing against Jett, he is a good racer and has a bright future ahead of him. Or any of the current racers for that matter. But I will say this, and I think many others may hold a similar opinion, the current generation of racers are nothing special nor are they doing anything out of the ordinary to make their mark in motocross history. This is the result of a generation of motocross racers who were bred out of training facilities. Ken Roczen was slotted to be one of THE greats, but since having a family and his past injuries, his dominating speed and style just haven't been there. The only person I can think of nowadays that is a mover and shaker is Herlings.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
9/16/2021 6:20am
CPR wrote:
How can you compare the early years of someone who’s from another country, had to travel the world in a steep difficult learning curve, to someone...
How can you compare the early years of someone who’s from another country, had to travel the world in a steep difficult learning curve, to someone who’s come up through the system from the comfort of their family home? You can’t really compare their early results fairly.

Stew was a legend, we have hindsight and the knowledge of his whole career to confirm that. Impressive as Stew’s early pro years were, Jett has come via a completely different road and so far all you have is 18 months worth of results while he’s still learning.

Let’s have this same conversation in five years and see. Until then you’re comparing apples with oranges.
How can we compare when Jett has the comfort of every foreigner and American loving him and James had to put up with racist rednecks every track he went to...
9/16/2021 6:40am
The problem with the current generation is that they are constantly trying to compare and justify that the current generation of racers is just as good...
The problem with the current generation is that they are constantly trying to compare and justify that the current generation of racers is just as good or better than the golden ages of motocross. The racers who made these previous years of motocross GREAT, not as in good, but definitive years where motocross was amazing, these dudes were moving mountains, progressing the sport, and establishing a name for themselves in history. In short, these guys were badasses. Ricky Carmichael was the definition of perfection and domination. Jeremy McGrath was a supercross technical genius. James Stewart developed a style of riding that many have tried to copy but can't come close to the original. Also did things and developed new ways of going around the track (quading things in supercross that were never meant to be). More recently, Blake Baggett during his 250 days at Pro-Circuit was one of THE guys. He would hang back mid-pack for half the race then turn on the nitro and blow everyone's doors off and win. El Chupacabra at his finest.The list goes on, but you get my point that these guys were THE guys of the sport because they were special and had something no one else did. You didn't watch motocross on TV to see the race, you just wanted to see what each of these dudes was going to do every weekend. What is Jett going to be remembered for? Doughnuts? Ohh yeah he's the guy who ate doughnuts when he won a race. Cool... Nothing against Jett, he is a good racer and has a bright future ahead of him. Or any of the current racers for that matter. But I will say this, and I think many others may hold a similar opinion, the current generation of racers are nothing special nor are they doing anything out of the ordinary to make their mark in motocross history. This is the result of a generation of motocross racers who were bred out of training facilities. Ken Roczen was slotted to be one of THE greats, but since having a family and his past injuries, his dominating speed and style just haven't been there. The only person I can think of nowadays that is a mover and shaker is Herlings.
Exactly how I see it to a T.
SteveUrchin
Fantasy
930th
9/16/2021 6:48am
Give me a call when he has a perfect season... I hate what ifs but I honestly think if everyone was healthy he wouldn’t have won the championship but who the fuck knows. one championship at 18 doesn’t make you a generational talent Or because you like his style other riders are just as fast don’t have to have style to be fast.
He raced 250f in emx 2017???
Debuted in US at end of 2019
2020 full season
2021 gets the championship
He’s been racing 250fs 4 plus years he’s not just some rookie 18 year old.

Titan1
9/16/2021 6:51am
Nobody had to be convinced that Stewart was a bar raiser, from day 1...we are now on page two of people trying to convince other people that Jett is better than him….that alone proves Jett isn’t at the level of Stewart, let alone better than him.
gt80rider
9/16/2021 6:55am
Ya.... no comparison between Stew and Jett.... Stew changed the entire game... Stew ran the goat out of town.... Jett is bad ass for sure.... but there are levels to being a bad ass....
Trickamoto
9/16/2021 7:12am
Jett is a talented kid with a bright future, but the claim that he is backing down during racing, holding out, and that he is just...
Jett is a talented kid with a bright future, but the claim that he is backing down during racing, holding out, and that he is just as talented as James Stewart is ridiculous.

James Stewart did things on a bike no one else would even attempt, and his 125 record speaks volumes. Jett is good, but he's no Stewart, and so far, not nearly as dominant as James was in the class. James has made other top professional riders look silly at times.

no kidding....what an idiot!
rawjahdesigns
9/16/2021 7:27am
thank god others agree. This Jace dude seems to know alot. AFTER 2010 when he "landed in america" hell, he wasnt even around for the real moto era...
LittleDragon
Fantasy
1882nd
9/16/2021 7:27am
When is the first SX of ‘22? This is going to be a lonnnnnnnng off season.
SilverSpurs
9/16/2021 7:31am
The problem with the current generation is that they are constantly trying to compare and justify that the current generation of racers is just as good...
LOL.

Pass the bong.

Brother, the golden era of MX was in the 1970's.

LOL.

Post a reply to: Sorry Gypsy, but Jett not as talented as James Stewart

The Latest