Sore hands when riding

Tzevtkoff
Edited Date/Time 6/12/2017 8:53pm
Well I was out for a while from my ankle surgery so I expected the traditional arm pump to plague me for a while which it did.But now after about six weeks of riding again the arm pump is gone but I have a HUGE problem with my hands getting sore.If I was older I would think that I have arthritis or something but im to young for that. It seems like after about the first 10 minutes of riding my hands get locked up and I have to pull off the track and rub them out for 10 minutes.This continues on and off for about a good hour and then they are still a little sore but they dont just lock up on me as easy.

It feels like most of the pain is in the palm area right below my thumbs but I also feel it in the rest of the palm area and fingers as well. I dont know whats causing this but I dont like it.There is no way I can start racing again with this condition.If anybody has any info on dealing with this problem like certain exercises,stretches,vitamins, whatever, please help!
|
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
6/10/2017 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2017 12:35pm
What kind of work do you do, and for how long? Ever been dx w/carpal tunnel?
6/10/2017 12:50pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2017 12:51pm
Breathe more ride loose easier said than done, I never get arm pump when I;m in my groove I noticed that I only get arm pump when I try too hard or wrestle the bike too hard and gripping my handlebars like a vice whilst doing all that I wouldn't breathe enough.

Are you nervous at the track at all?
Tzevtkoff
6/10/2017 12:53pm
kzizok wrote:
I have already been operated on my carpal tunnel.

Example: When I ride with thin grips (Renthal) I have a fck pain in my right palm hand.

When i ride with ticks grips like progrip797 i have less trouble but i have a big arm pump.

I am sensitive to diameter of grips.

I ride two laps and I can not move my right hand.

Sry for my bad english.
Tzevtkoff
6/10/2017 12:59pm
Breathe more ride loose easier said than done, I never get arm pump when I;m in my groove I noticed that I only get arm pump...
Breathe more ride loose easier said than done, I never get arm pump when I;m in my groove I noticed that I only get arm pump when I try too hard or wrestle the bike too hard and gripping my handlebars like a vice whilst doing all that I wouldn't breathe enough.

Are you nervous at the track at all?
No i m not nervous at all, i ride smooth.

The pain is at the bottom of my thumb.

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
6/10/2017 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2017 1:15pm
kzizok wrote:
Tzevtkoff wrote:
I have already been operated on my carpal tunnel. Example: When I ride with thin grips (Renthal) I have a fck pain in my right palm...

Example: When I ride with thin grips (Renthal) I have a fck pain in my right palm hand.

When i ride with ticks grips like progrip797 i have less trouble but i have a big arm pump.

Sry for my bad english.
I thought you may have/had issues. Sounds like inflammation issues again, not just carpal tunnel, but sheath as well. Not diagnosing or treating, but you should probably have it checked out again. Have you tried ibuprofen (or another NSAID) before you ride?
KMC440
6/10/2017 1:15pm
Getting old sucks doesn't it ...
Tzevtkoff
6/10/2017 1:36pm
kzizok wrote:
Tzevtkoff wrote:
I have already been operated on my carpal tunnel. Example: When I ride with thin grips (Renthal) I have a fck pain in my right palm...

Sry for my bad english.
kzizok wrote:
I thought you may have/had issues. Sounds like inflammation issues again, not just carpal tunnel, but sheath as well. Not diagnosing or treating, but you should...
I thought you may have/had issues. Sounds like inflammation issues again, not just carpal tunnel, but sheath as well. Not diagnosing or treating, but you should probably have it checked out again. Have you tried ibuprofen (or another NSAID) before you ride?
Thank you so much for your advice.

I never tried ibuprofen before my ride but i m going to try.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/10/2017 1:57pm
kzizok wrote:
Tzevtkoff wrote:

Sry for my bad english.
I use thin grips also to avoid arm pump but I do not suffer any had pain at all so I am lucky.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
6/10/2017 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2017 2:02pm
Bar bend and position can play a big role in this. You might be putting excess pressure on that part of your palm due to hand placement on the bars.

Also, don't forget all the obvious stuff.. sprocket bolt torque, vinegar in the boots, plastic instead of aluminum skid plate, linkage bolts torqued under load only, etc.
kkawboy14
6/10/2017 2:21pm
Sounds more like it's just riding nervous and moving your hands around a lot. But try starting out slow for a couple laps, stretch your hands real good before riding and don't eat any sugar for a couple weeks before you ride.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
6/10/2017 3:09pm
Tzevtkoff wrote:

Sry for my bad english.
kzizok wrote:
I thought you may have/had issues. Sounds like inflammation issues again, not just carpal tunnel, but sheath as well. Not diagnosing or treating, but you should...
Tzevtkoff wrote:
Thank you so much for your advice.

I never tried ibuprofen before my ride but i m going to try.
No problem. Good luck.
BobbyM
6/10/2017 3:15pm
Tzevtkoff wrote:
Well I was out for a while from my ankle surgery so I expected the traditional arm pump to plague me for a while which it...
Well I was out for a while from my ankle surgery so I expected the traditional arm pump to plague me for a while which it did.But now after about six weeks of riding again the arm pump is gone but I have a HUGE problem with my hands getting sore.If I was older I would think that I have arthritis or something but im to young for that. It seems like after about the first 10 minutes of riding my hands get locked up and I have to pull off the track and rub them out for 10 minutes.This continues on and off for about a good hour and then they are still a little sore but they dont just lock up on me as easy.

It feels like most of the pain is in the palm area right below my thumbs but I also feel it in the rest of the palm area and fingers as well. I dont know whats causing this but I dont like it.There is no way I can start racing again with this condition.If anybody has any info on dealing with this problem like certain exercises,stretches,vitamins, whatever, please help!
Scale back yer masterbation frequency . Makes a world of difference.
rancor19
6/10/2017 4:31pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2017 4:31pm
KMC440 wrote:
Getting old sucks doesn't it ...
Yes it does. I was fine at 40. 46-ish now and WTF!!!

My hands go numb and cramp badly just trail riding...and I work with my hands all day! Me thinks carpal tunnel.

"Sucks" isn't the word for it.
Acidreamer
6/10/2017 6:00pm
I have the exact same problem as you. Its like a charlie horse at the base of your thumb or between your index finger.

A few things i have come up with to help. Stand up and take the weight off your hands. Makes a world of difference. Next thing that i noticed help me is riding my sport bike for hours a day. It helps strengthen all the muscles required for motorcycles. also slow down. If i push myself to my max my hands start cramping up. Last thing do a lot of cardio and eat right. I know its cliche but seriously, cleaning your diet is 80% of the solution. My diet is basically tuna, chicken breast, steak, w/e vegetable, and brown rice.

Good luck i hope this helps
6/10/2017 7:43pm
I struggle with this too. I'm a young guy (19y/o) and am in pretty good shape. Never get real bad arm pump and don't get that tired, but man after 2-3 laps around washougal my hands are in serious pain, to the point to where it hurts to open them. Any insight?
DD414
6/10/2017 8:22pm
There is a nerve in the base of your palm. Your probably putting too much pressure on it while riding by pushing forward on your grips without noticing it. I believe it's the ulnar nerve. I get this while riding mountain bikes routinely, but not Moto.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
6/10/2017 8:46pm
I struggle with this too. I'm a young guy (19y/o) and am in pretty good shape. Never get real bad arm pump and don't get that...
I struggle with this too. I'm a young guy (19y/o) and am in pretty good shape. Never get real bad arm pump and don't get that tired, but man after 2-3 laps around washougal my hands are in serious pain, to the point to where it hurts to open them. Any insight?
Do you ever try to warm up by rolling one lap as a site lap, then just doing a few sections (and not whole laps) to warm up? I basically break the track down into 4 sections and I'll warm up by 1) doing a roller lap, 2) hit each section of the track about 3-4 times then come in and take a 15 minute break. Then go spin some laps. Stretch and hydrate well when resting. Seemed to help me out. Mine is better, but not fully gone.
6/10/2017 8:55pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Do you ever try to warm up by rolling one lap as a site lap, then just doing a few sections (and not whole laps) to...
Do you ever try to warm up by rolling one lap as a site lap, then just doing a few sections (and not whole laps) to warm up? I basically break the track down into 4 sections and I'll warm up by 1) doing a roller lap, 2) hit each section of the track about 3-4 times then come in and take a 15 minute break. Then go spin some laps. Stretch and hydrate well when resting. Seemed to help me out. Mine is better, but not fully gone.
I generally just try to take the first 3-4 laps of the day easy. Last time I went out and didn't give her hell until my 3rd time out on the track and it still was pretty bad.
adam8781
6/10/2017 9:02pm
go see a deep tissue massage therapist, tell them you need your arms "stripped" get ready for crazy pain and swearing, followed by relief after a few sessions.

\saved me from carpo and or tendinitis surgery that the idiot drs were pushing on me
Bearuno
6/10/2017 11:19pm
The "I'm too young for Arthritis" thing.

No, you're never to young for that. I work with many children with disabilities, and quite a few with various stages / types of Arthritis.

Don't dismiss it as perhaps part of the problem, especially if you've ever had a noticeable injury at or near the point of pain.

I'm currently dealing with hand problems that doctors are scratching their heads over. Besides not being able to hold things / feel things, it is completely destroying my sleeping patterns. Driving me nuts. Thankfully, it's not the biggest problem I have with riding my bikes. Indeed, I find riding my 'vibro' 500 2t, better on my hands than the various counter balanced modern bikes I have access to. Weird.
jeffro503
6/10/2017 11:56pm
Tzevtkoff wrote:
Well I was out for a while from my ankle surgery so I expected the traditional arm pump to plague me for a while which it...

I didn't read the whole thread , but during your time off , did you change to a different bend of bars , or any other adjustments to your controls that you had previously?
rob162
6/11/2017 7:59am
I think i get the same thing. Its like a hallow and sharp but at the same time dull pain in my palm closest to my thumb and index. I find it worse then getting arm pump. No clue what it is but it has beend driving me crazy the last 5 yrs. But it literally ruins most of my riding days. By lap 4 it hurts so much that i wanna pull off. No amount of loosing my grip seems to help either.
mtl
6/11/2017 8:19am
Try a Naproxen (Alleve) an hour before riding with some food. It may help with the inflammation.
kaptkaos
6/11/2017 9:44am
Sounds exactly like what I had, Carpal Tunnel. You cannot out train it, or out eat it.

They have a way of testing for it, they check conductivity by shocking you with little needles and send current through your arms from your fingers and hands. Get the Nerve conduction test and then if you have Carpal Tunnel, get it fixed endoscopically. In 5 weeks per hand you will be riding like you have never ridden before. I used to get severe hand pain when riding mx, mtb, road bikes, or even long drives. My hands and arms would get numb at night.
I am rid of all that now, I want to say I am only limited by own lack of fitness and skill!
rancor19
6/11/2017 9:59am
Endoscopically? They go thru your butt to fix your hands now? Seems like the long way around.

I'd rather have carpal tunnel lol.
JustMX
6/11/2017 1:59pm
Tzevtkoff wrote:

BobbyM wrote:
Scale back yer masterbation frequency . Makes a world of difference.
Yeah,
Like rocky balboa's trainer said in the original rocky,
"Self love weakens the hands"
Tzevtkoff
6/12/2017 9:00am
FGR01 wrote:
Bar bend and position can play a big role in this. You might be putting excess pressure on that part of your palm due to hand...
Bar bend and position can play a big role in this. You might be putting excess pressure on that part of your palm due to hand placement on the bars.

Also, don't forget all the obvious stuff.. sprocket bolt torque, vinegar in the boots, plastic instead of aluminum skid plate, linkage bolts torqued under load only, etc.
Good point.

I rode so much "front of the bar" so i don't know what is the best set up for me.

I feel more confortable with a large bar.

Anyone can help me with a good setup for a "front of the bar" style ?

5.9055 feet, 176 lbs.
Tzevtkoff
6/12/2017 9:02am
mtl wrote:
Try a Naproxen (Alleve) an hour before riding with some food. It may help with the inflammation.
Thx.

Post a reply to: Sore hands when riding

The Latest