Sooo…who is the MXGP GOAT?

Johnny Ringo
Everts has the edge with 10 titles, but a lot of years he was covered by guys like Albertyn and Seb.

Is it AC? Jeffrey has the wins but is way low on titles..RD?

Who is the greatest MXGP racer of all time?
|
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
11/12/2021 9:41am
Everts has the edge with 10 titles, but a lot of years he was covered by guys like Albertyn and Seb. Is it AC? Jeffrey has...
Everts has the edge with 10 titles, but a lot of years he was covered by guys like Albertyn and Seb.

It's gotta be Everts based off his titles.

Something to chew on.....Had Albertyn stayed in GPs, then the course of history would be changed and AC222 would be the Goat.
alex69
11/12/2021 9:47am
Everts has the edge with 10 titles, but a lot of years he was covered by guys like Albertyn and Seb. Is it AC? Jeffrey has...

At this moment Cairoli.
Everts had a few years with not so heavy competition, years with one manches, tracks where only one premier class was racing that weekend, only 12 Gp's in a year.
He is this a legendary and I think he was at his best when he stoped racing and was still unbeatable so he will won more titles if didn't stopped.
Mavetism
11/12/2021 9:53am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2021 10:00am
In my opinion Everts and Cairoli share the GOAT spot.
The way Everts won his championships was impressive and dominant. He was way ahead of any other rider most of the time specially towards the end (just like RC in the US) and even close to a perfect season. 2006 he won 27 out of 30 moto's if I remember correctly. He also lined up for all three classes classes (125cc, MXGP and 650cc) at the last round in 2003 which he won. Thanks to my dad I had the opportunity to see this legend ride live in person when I was a kid.

And there is Cairoli. Yes, one championship off of Everts, but there is some things that really make Cairoli competitive for the GOAT spot. 70 premier class wins (94 combined). He won at least one GP in the last 18 seasons (like what?). I think it's insane that he can basically still win whenever he lines up for a race at the age of 36. I do hope we see him at he US nationals next year. That would be a banger.

The Shop

jeffro503
11/12/2021 9:55am
I think wins , mean a lot , but in my opinion the titles count a lot more. That is what a team hires you to do. If you take 2nd and 3rd all year , and win the title , you did the job you were hired for. BUT......it is really hard to compare top riders like that because of the depth of the talent pool. It's not the guys fault if he's head and shoulder's above everyone else , but it's something to put in perspective.

I mean , what's a more deserving title , then lining up with multiple champions on the gate / season , compared to only having 1 or 2 , that only make it half the season. It's still well deserved , just that some champions had easier seasons then other's.
Mavetism
11/12/2021 9:58am
alex69 wrote:
At this moment Cairoli. Everts had a few years with not so heavy competition, years with one manches, tracks where only one premier class was racing...
At this moment Cairoli.
Everts had a few years with not so heavy competition, years with one manches, tracks where only one premier class was racing that weekend, only 12 Gp's in a year.
He is this a legendary and I think he was at his best when he stoped racing and was still unbeatable so he will won more titles if didn't stopped.
Yes, I 100% agree. He was at his best when he retired, I think him riding the 450 was something else, would be cool to know what would have happen if he continued racing for a couple years.
jeffro503
11/12/2021 9:58am
Mavetism wrote:
In my opinion Everts and Cairoli share the GOAT spot. The way Everts won his championships was impressive and dominant. He was way ahead of any...
In my opinion Everts and Cairoli share the GOAT spot.
The way Everts won his championships was impressive and dominant. He was way ahead of any other rider most of the time specially towards the end (just like RC in the US) and even close to a perfect season. 2006 he won 27 out of 30 moto's if I remember correctly. He also lined up for all three classes classes (125cc, MXGP and 650cc) at the last round in 2003 which he won. Thanks to my dad I had the opportunity to see this legend ride live in person when I was a kid.

And there is Cairoli. Yes, one championship off of Everts, but there is some things that really make Cairoli competitive for the GOAT spot. 70 premier class wins (94 combined). He won at least one GP in the last 18 seasons (like what?). I think it's insane that he can basically still win whenever he lines up for a race at the age of 36. I do hope we see him at he US nationals next year. That would be a banger.
Great perspective. One thing though , I think AC is 37 now.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4358th
11/12/2021 10:18am
I know about one sicilian guy who has beaten the field of 450s in Glen Helen on 350 while being stuck on 3rd gear... Whistling
11/12/2021 10:29am

Boomslang wrote:
It's gotta be Everts based off his titles. Something to chew on.....Had Albertyn stayed in GPs, then the course of history would be changed and AC222...

Something to chew on.....Had Albertyn stayed in GPs, then the course of history would be changed and AC222 would be the Goat.
Albee, Townley, Tortelli, Ratray all come to mind who would of challenged Everts and more than likely beat him. Would they of stayed injury free is another story though.
RG1
11/12/2021 10:35am
For now, Cairoli has it for me because of his longevity, the people he has beaten etc. But Herlings is well on his way to becoming the greatest GP rider of all time. He will abliterate the GP victory record and will get up there in terms of titles
visser62
11/12/2021 10:41am
For me, Cairoli is the greatest in terms of longevity, but Herlings is the best anyone has ever been at one time. It's kind of a similar argument people make in baseball: Pedro Martinez in 1999 and 2000 is the best a pitcher has ever been, but he didn't maintain it across an entire career.

Everts was great, but I can't give him the top spot when Tortelli and Albertyn handled him.
skiz
11/12/2021 10:59am
Albee, Townley, Tortelli, Ratray all come to mind who would of challenged Everts and more than likely beat him. Would they of stayed injury free is...
Albee, Townley, Tortelli, Ratray all come to mind who would of challenged Everts and more than likely beat him. Would they of stayed injury free is another story though.
How about if the guy can get his shoulder broken and still beat everybody else and... oh maybe... not be able to lift his left arm after his win. Actually the best racer already did that earlier this year.
GOAT? Who is the GOAT? What does that even mean?
What exactly does the word "GREATEST" mean?
According to Jeffro503, "I think wins , mean a lot , but in my opinion the titles count a lot more. That is what a team hires you to do. If you take 2nd and 3rd all year , and win the title , you did the job you were hired for."

Sounds like 2 different answers to me.
"I think wins , mean a lot , but in my opinion the titles count a lot more."
That's one answer, define greatest as most titles. That's your choice to use that idea to define that word.

But then theres what I see as a different answer, "If you take 2nd and 3rd all year , and win the title , you did the job you were hired for."
Yes a CONSISTENCY championship. It works the best for an Infront promoter of a whole series, but I dont see how a bunch of 2nds and 3rds would make you the greatest.

Fabvre vs Herlings in the final race for a consistency points title was great drama and wonderful to watch, but it was also 14 wins vs 6 wins. It had already been determined who was the best.

But who is "greatest" defined as consistency points champion.? If you want to look at it that way, OK by me. But that's not who I think of when I think of the best racer.
teamddr
11/12/2021 11:10am
Goat is between Everts and TC but Herlings is the fastest thing I ever seen on a dirt bike.

jeffro503
11/12/2021 11:16am
skiz wrote:
How about if the guy can get his shoulder broken and still beat everybody else and... oh maybe... not be able to lift his left arm...
How about if the guy can get his shoulder broken and still beat everybody else and... oh maybe... not be able to lift his left arm after his win. Actually the best racer already did that earlier this year.
GOAT? Who is the GOAT? What does that even mean?
What exactly does the word "GREATEST" mean?
According to Jeffro503, "I think wins , mean a lot , but in my opinion the titles count a lot more. That is what a team hires you to do. If you take 2nd and 3rd all year , and win the title , you did the job you were hired for."

Sounds like 2 different answers to me.
"I think wins , mean a lot , but in my opinion the titles count a lot more."
That's one answer, define greatest as most titles. That's your choice to use that idea to define that word.

But then theres what I see as a different answer, "If you take 2nd and 3rd all year , and win the title , you did the job you were hired for."
Yes a CONSISTENCY championship. It works the best for an Infront promoter of a whole series, but I dont see how a bunch of 2nds and 3rds would make you the greatest.

Fabvre vs Herlings in the final race for a consistency points title was great drama and wonderful to watch, but it was also 14 wins vs 6 wins. It had already been determined who was the best.

But who is "greatest" defined as consistency points champion.? If you want to look at it that way, OK by me. But that's not who I think of when I think of the best racer.
My post was definitely two different answers. I was just trying to say that it all depends on what's most important , for the people who follow the sport and/or the actual race team itself. Like I said though , I tend to lean towards " Most titles "......because that is what the record books will forever show. Some people don't see it that way though.
skiz
11/12/2021 11:20am
teamddr wrote:
Goat is between Everts and TC but Herlings is the fastest thing I ever seen on a dirt bike.

When youre passing some of the best racers of your generation and doing it with a broken shoulder blade, thats fastest and awesome all in one package
davistld01
11/12/2021 11:52am
teamddr wrote:

James Stewart was (at times) the fastest thing I'd ever seen on a dirt bike...but I don't see him at the GOAT in American Motocross. Ricky Carmichael holds that title, in my opinion...because of titles and domination.

Herlings is a monster, it's true...and his winning the most recent MXGP crown proves it. But...I agree with you that it would be a hard choice between Everts and Cairoli for the GP GOAT. For both of those guys to compete at such a high level as long as they did...is staggering.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
11/12/2021 11:53am

Boomslang wrote:
It's gotta be Everts based off his titles. Something to chew on.....Had Albertyn stayed in GPs, then the course of history would be changed and AC222...

Albee, Townley, Tortelli, Ratray all come to mind who would of challenged Everts and more than likely beat him. Would they of stayed injury free is...
You can make the argument that Everts, AC and now Herlings all had there careers made easier by there main competition leaving.

Everts never raced JMB who was only a few years older and then was beat by Albee and Tortelli who then left. Plus who knows what Langston would have done if would have just focused on MX and stayed injury free or Townley for that matter which brings us into AC, Townley was completely dominant in 2004, I only remember him losing when his bike broke. Then AC wins in 2005, loses to Pourcel who then gets hurt and leaves anyways. I think AC wins in 2008 but he gets hurt and the guys that go 1-2 both go stateside. Musquin comes out of nowwhere and wins in 2009 and 10 which leads us to the Herlings era. Musquin is arguably the best guy of the generation without a 450 title and then of course Kenny is the COW of 2011 and then leaves and Herlings wins title number 1. Less guys are leaving now in Herlings era only Ferrandis and Tonus left and he has those guys covered but he also had Febvre covered with a big margin too and it just went to the final round. Of course J - Law left but he’s arguably the next generation after. And before some blowhard comes in and complains that im picking on the GP’s by writing this. The American guys retire to early so it’s nearly the same difference.

In conclusion AC is the best! Just an opinion of course. Everyone in Everts and ACs era had trouble staying healthy but of course that was mainly when they went stateside. But there ability to stay injury free for the most part over 15 plus year careers puts them in a league of there own as far as winning titles goes.

1. AC
2. SE
3. RD
Gets tricky after this.
skiz
11/12/2021 12:03pm
"Most titles "......because that is what the record books will forever show.
Most titles... all titles... every title that is determined every year is based on stuff like 25 points for a win and 22 points for second place. So Herlings and Fabvre are locked at the same points and go head -to-head. Great drama.!! But it has some bearing on who is the best? Does it actually have some bearing on who is the best?

If this was Road Track (MotoGP or Superbikes) it would be 25 points for a win and 20 points for second place. All of a sudden all of those second place finishes dont mean as much anymore. How are all of these RANDOM numbers of points define who is the greatest.?

Mx tenth place is 12 pts but Road Track gives 6 pts. And wins are only a tiebreak if the racers TIE on EXACTLY same number of total points. The basis of consistency sounds pretty RANDOM to me and doesnt sound like it has anything to do with who is actually better.

Making racers collect points at every round is good for Infront. They can put that in any record book that they choose but it doesnt mean anything to me.
David934
11/12/2021 12:08pm
I know about one sicilian guy who has beaten the field of 450s in Glen Helen on 350 while being stuck on 3rd gear... Whistling
I remember this race, he passed Alessi for win
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
11/12/2021 12:11pm

AC had Townley, Musquin and Purcell all move to the states as well,.

to me the numbers matter, and Everts has more gp wins and more titles,

Jeffrey is more like Stewart to me, amazing speed and can win any day, but not in it for the whole year,
but he has 5 titles, he is 27 so 3-5 more would not be impossible as Everts and Cairoli won titles in their 30's, Everts went through a bad patch with injuries and bad teams and came back at the end and won a lot,
Spudnut
11/12/2021 12:16pm
Everts is GOAT. AC is GOAT Jr. Herlings is FMOTP
Zycki11
11/12/2021 12:31pm
SE72 and AC222. Herlings shouldn’t even be considered. It’s one thing to win races, but to manage a title is another ball game. You need to be able to do both(RC,MC). Herlings is good, but bullets are stopped all of the time. In this case, his head and the ground continue to stop him
Aryen
11/12/2021 12:51pm
Cairoli is the GOAT for me right now. In my opinion he has had the toughest competition and he pulled it off year after year.

Herlings can become the GOAT if he starts raking in titles. He will never come to 9 or 10 like Cairoli and Everts, but will always be remembered as one dominant mofo.
skiz
11/12/2021 12:52pm
"...because of titles and domination."
If titles means something to you, then so be it. I'm not in charge of deciding how the word "greatest" is defined. But putting the words "titles" and "domination" side-by-side is as random as deciding how many points are awarded.

Take this example:

On Nov 10, 2021, Herlings and Fabvre line up for "the title". Last race, winner-take-all. Fabvre finishes 3rd & stays at 6 wins. Herlings wins and moves up to 15 wins including a win with a broken shoulder while passing all of his rivals. Herlings finishes with the most points, the most wins, and can be described as "domination" for 2021.

But what if...
On Nov 10, 2021, Herlings and Fabvre line up for "the title". Last race, winner-take-all. Herlings bike breaks down. Fabvre finishes 2nd (behind Gajser) & stays at 6 wins. Herlings stays at 14 wins including a win with a broken shoulder while passing all of his rivals. Fabvre finishes with the most points and the consistency title. But in this version of what if...

How do you apply the word "domination".? It doest connect with the most points. It doesnt connect with the "title".
Johnny Ringo
11/12/2021 12:58pm
skiz wrote:
"...because of titles and domination." If titles means something to you, then so be it. I'm not in charge of deciding how the word "greatest" is...
If titles means something to you, then so be it. I'm not in charge of deciding how the word "greatest" is defined. But putting the words "titles" and "domination" side-by-side is as random as deciding how many points are awarded.

Take this example:

On Nov 10, 2021, Herlings and Fabvre line up for "the title". Last race, winner-take-all. Fabvre finishes 3rd & stays at 6 wins. Herlings wins and moves up to 15 wins including a win with a broken shoulder while passing all of his rivals. Herlings finishes with the most points, the most wins, and can be described as "domination" for 2021.

But what if...
On Nov 10, 2021, Herlings and Fabvre line up for "the title". Last race, winner-take-all. Herlings bike breaks down. Fabvre finishes 2nd (behind Gajser) & stays at 6 wins. Herlings stays at 14 wins including a win with a broken shoulder while passing all of his rivals. Fabvre finishes with the most points and the consistency title. But in this version of what if...

How do you apply the word "domination".? It doest connect with the most points. It doesnt connect with the "title".
I don’t agree with this take, at all
jeffro503
11/12/2021 1:10pm
skiz wrote:
"...because of titles and domination." If titles means something to you, then so be it. I'm not in charge of deciding how the word "greatest" is...

Take this example:

But what if...

" Goat "
" Domination "
" FMOTP ".......

Ect , all mean something different. There have been many dominant and fastest man on the planet thrown at different riders , in different era's. Neither one of them automatically make you a " Goat ". That word is used for riders entire career and his accomplishments at the end. Again.....this thread is titled " Sooo...who is the MXGP GOAT?

Not Dominant or FMOTP.....but Goat.
Dan541
Fantasy
2619th
11/12/2021 1:21pm
I'd vote AC. Has anyone else won Titles on a 250, 350 and 450 ?
Denn700
11/12/2021 1:23pm
Everts is the Goat.
He has more titles, more race wins and more MXDN wins.
11/12/2021 1:35pm

Cairoli.

Post a reply to: Sooo…who is the MXGP GOAT?

The Latest