Sometimes you chicken out and roll it

jtiger12
5/23/2008 8:43am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2008 8:58am
Has anyone ever let an easy jump spook you so much that week after week you can't jump the stupid thing? A few of you are...
Has anyone ever let an easy jump spook you so much that week after week you can't jump the stupid thing? A few of you are familiar with Bremen, for the last month I've lost every ounce of courage to jump the back double (after the tabletop, and before the sweeping left on the sx part). See I followed a friend over it a few times last winter - then on our 5th time over his bike did something and he cased it - so did I since I was following him. That was the last time I went over it.
So earlier tonight, like last weekend, I couldn't do it. I've tried everything.. following someone else going my speed. Almost clearing the tabletop before.. each time I grabbed brakes and rolled. This is very frustrating. If I had more of a run at it I'd jump it no problems. I double almost all of the jumps at ICR when I go there, and the one by the finish line is much larger than the jump I'm having issues with at bremen. I know this is a dangerous sport. Should I just wait until I feel right about going over it again, or do I just close my eyes and pin it?
drmarkr wrote:
Couple of tricks I use when appropriate... If the table is messing with your approach, can you ride to the side of it and then cut...
Couple of tricks I use when appropriate...

If the table is messing with your approach, can you ride to the side of it and then cut in to do the jump? Might give you the run you're looking for to make it work.

Another idea. Do the double at a slight angle jumping to the side of the second hit....make it a flat landing to start with to get your distance down. When you're getting what you need, move back to straight on to clear it.

This has worked for a number of doubles for me.

MR
there aren't many "scary" doubles that you can flatland to the side. Unless of course, you are scared by a 30 footer that shoots you out and not up!

I always try to make up my mind about every jump on the track, by the third lap of practice. "Rolling" a jump, lap after lap "thinking" you can do it, will only make you more scared to do it (mind trick). If you don't "know" and "do" by lap 5, don't even think about that jump anymore! There are other fast ways around a track than a tricky jump combo, or massive launch.
Adam43
5/23/2008 11:38am
Couple things:

1) Its always better to be a little long on doubles than short. Make sure you're going fast enough to get over it, no questions.

2) The thing about doubles is that eventually, you just have to not be a pussy and go for it. You certainly want to have enough skills on the other jumps so that its not a big risk. But with a new jump, there is always a point you just gotta go for it.

Tiki
Fantasy
1774th
5/23/2008 1:07pm
SX only contracts are about the smartest thing some of these yahoos could pull off. Low dollars in MX. Doesnt take a pussy to figure that out, just his accountant. Wink
Jabjr222
5/23/2008 2:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:03pm
Just jump the damn thing. If you are going to land short, get on the throttle HARD. If you are going to land long, get on the throttle HARD. If you hadn't jumped the thing in the past, then I would advise you differently.

I hadn't been on a dirt bike in a year and hit Piru. Within 6 laps I was jumping everything. Of course, some people can jump and it doesn't freak us out.

Will I jump anything? Oh no. I may be cocky but not stupid. Just be smart.

The Shop

croom mx
5/23/2008 2:06pm
I raced mx for about 10 years, at the end I was very fast. From what I remember I was worried about jumps when I was new to racing but after a few years of riding, jumps became the easy part of mx. Actually the bike does all the work you are just along for the ride. You have to learn to control the bike in the air , left , right , up, down. Alot of riders dont have a clue how to do this. Time on the bike will teach you , seat time.
JPT
5/23/2008 2:26pm
It's been a long time since I raced but I've still got stories I tell. About half of those stories come from those times when my whole body was saying "don't do it" but that little part of my brain was saying "go ahead you pussy, are you here to race or not?". These are funny stories, most ending in "while I waited for somebody to come get the bike off my back" or "my eyes were THAT big around" or "boy could that flagman move".

Remember, try shit that really scares you now, so you'll have stories to tell when you're older.
JoJmoto
5/23/2008 4:14pm
I hate to tell you this but, a friend of mine crashed his brain out on that jump. However, it was his fault, he got lazy and did not take off well enough. Just goes to show you that anything can happen in MX at any time. I know that jump and the other side of it is more of a down slope step down kinda deal. It is pretty easy to do really, you just have to hold the gas on all the way off the face. If you over jump it, there is plenty of room for errer. It's not that bad really, you are on a 125 right? Like I said, get a good run out of that right hand corner, go wide and rail it first and you will have enough speed. Or maybe you just need to grow a pair! EvilWink Just kidding, I hate to leave a track when I know I did not jump a jump in my skill level, eats at me until I go back, then once I get it up to do it, it;'s always the same old story, (Ah, that wasnt so bad!)

Bottom line, dont push your self but if you know in your heart you can do it, go for it. I personally think you will have no problems if you commit to it.
queen of spodes
Fantasy
4173rd
5/23/2008 4:45pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2008 4:46pm
i'm on a 250. I never clear the table before.. most of the time I jump just a few feet and go. Last night I had it in third gear right on the power and I wasn't halfway down the backside of the table top. just freaked and grabbed the brakes. I lost 2nd place two weeks ago to someone a little slower than me everywhere else, she jumped it and I rolled it. lol. I hope Kevin doens't change the track because I have to do this now.. it's bugging me!
Friday
5/23/2008 4:57pm
Big jumps used to scare me.But since I started wearing my Leatt neck brace I'm fearless. I huck things I never would have in the past because now,I can't be harmed.Thank you,Dr. Leatt!Wink
Cygnus
5/23/2008 5:01pm
Friday wrote:
Big jumps used to scare me.But since I started wearing my Leatt neck brace I'm fearless. I huck things I never would have in the past...
Big jumps used to scare me.But since I started wearing my Leatt neck brace I'm fearless. I huck things I never would have in the past because now,I can't be harmed.Thank you,Dr. Leatt!Wink
X2 !!!
WhKnuckle
5/23/2008 5:26pm
Friday wrote:
Big jumps used to scare me.But since I started wearing my Leatt neck brace I'm fearless. I huck things I never would have in the past...
I assume that's sarcasm...I hope...
Friday
5/24/2008 2:42am
Friday wrote:
WhKnuckle wrote:
I assume that's sarcasm...I hope...
Hence the sarcasm wink.It was poking fun at some of those who actually think a neckbrace gives a rider false confidence to jump something that they wouldn't without a neck brace.But seriously,I eventually pretty much jump 99% of the jumps on all the California tracks.But I do it under control and within my ability......along with a strong grip and twist of the grip on the right.I make sure I have a good run up to the jump,know how fast I need to go to OVER JUMP the gap,and err on the side of going long instead of going short.If I have rolled a jump 8 or more times without jumping it,I take a break and come back to it later.There are few things that feel better than conquering a jump that has been on my mind for a spell. Watch other riders hit it.Get the idea of the speed needed. Make sure your body position is spot on,in case you come up short.And above all else,picture yourself CLEARING the jump,and then commit to it.(just like everything else you do in life)
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
5/24/2008 5:15am
The ski jump at red bud... every lap I'd come around with more than enough speed, but the sight of it just dropping off always made me back off right before, then when I'd land just short of clearing it after backing off and seeing how easy it should be I'd mentally kick myself in the balls for a lap for not doing it, until I came to it again.
gharmon
5/25/2008 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2008 6:05pm
i'm on a 250. I never clear the table before.. most of the time I jump just a few feet and go. Last night I had...
i'm on a 250. I never clear the table before.. most of the time I jump just a few feet and go. Last night I had it in third gear right on the power and I wasn't halfway down the backside of the table top. just freaked and grabbed the brakes. I lost 2nd place two weeks ago to someone a little slower than me everywhere else, she jumped it and I rolled it. lol. I hope Kevin doens't change the track because I have to do this now.. it's bugging me!
Well he changed it. It's now a double double. It bit my ass hard Fri. night. I over jumped the first double (landed right at the beginning face of the second double) hit the gas again and had a nasty get off! Shit still hurts. Well I guess you don't have to worry about that jump anymore.
5/25/2008 7:25pm
i'll throw in my $2.

I'll pick out people my same speed and watch them jump stuff, let them be the guinea pigs. (wasn't always this way... but i'm old now...lol)

second... and this is a biggie... you have to have confidence and be fluid. when this isn't the case... that's when you whiskey throttle it or don't excecute the jump before properly and it throws you all out of whack.

the confidence thing is like when you're racing... you'll do things alot better when you crash in the first turn and just goforit... you're not thinking of anything else besides being mad.
queen of spodes
Fantasy
4173rd
5/25/2008 9:44pm
gharmon wrote:
Well he changed it. It's now a double double. It bit my ass hard Fri. night. I over jumped the first double (landed right at the...
Well he changed it. It's now a double double. It bit my ass hard Fri. night. I over jumped the first double (landed right at the beginning face of the second double) hit the gas again and had a nasty get off! Shit still hurts. Well I guess you don't have to worry about that jump anymore.
Glad you're OK! I may go there tomorrow (if they are open) and see the changes.. It looked like a bunch of work was done to the mx part on Thursday.

Post a reply to: Sometimes you chicken out and roll it

The Latest