Something New For '22 (CRF450)

Huckster
3/17/2022 3:16pm
KAWI642 wrote:
after the last 2 years of shootouts and the information from the "experts" about this bike and where it has finished in the shootouts it has...
after the last 2 years of shootouts and the information from the "experts" about this bike and where it has finished in the shootouts it has further convinced me of the utter uselessness of their information. Not only is this bike bad ass but it has HONDA quality and everything is easy to work on.
This is my first Honda since 2012. Been on Austrian brands from 13-19 and spent the past two years as part of the RM Army. I have to say I am actually a bit surprised by the quality of the Honda. The fasteners don’t seem as high quality. The plastic is super thin and the new way the seat attaches is a PITA. I can’t give an opinion yet on how it holds up but so far I have been a bit disappointed albeit minor things.
KAWI642
3/17/2022 4:30pm
KAWI642 wrote:
after the last 2 years of shootouts and the information from the "experts" about this bike and where it has finished in the shootouts it has...
after the last 2 years of shootouts and the information from the "experts" about this bike and where it has finished in the shootouts it has further convinced me of the utter uselessness of their information. Not only is this bike bad ass but it has HONDA quality and everything is easy to work on.
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Bike has been a gem to work on. I expected a lot more pain coming off the ancient tech of the YZ, but everything has been...
Bike has been a gem to work on. I expected a lot more pain coming off the ancient tech of the YZ, but everything has been super easy to get to on this bike.
i dont like the oil drain plug (makes a big ass mess) but other that no complaints
SoCalMX70
4/5/2022 10:23am
Couple updates to the bike.

FCP mounts: Mostly a waste of money for me. Almost imperceptible difference between these and setting a lower torque value on the stock mounts. I'll say it differently... Lowering the torque value on the stock mounts does result in a small improvement in chassis flex imo. Going from that to the FCP mounts (at recommended values they provide) is negligible. That's just me though. Others may certainly be more sensitive to this change.

Ride Engineering 23.5mm split clamps: HUGE difference in front end comfort. Takes a "spike" (harshness) out of the bars that I apparently had gotten used to. When I switched to the new clamps it's the first thing I noticed. Feels "cushy" now. My hands are thanking me! Also calmed the chassis down quite a bit as there are less twitch movements through chop now.

Sag is at 103 and fork height 2.5mm and it feels very balanced. I was losing some front wheel traction coming out of corners with the old clamps at flush height and 105mm+ of sag. It was a vague feeling with push. It sticks very well now.
4/5/2022 11:43am
Sounds to me like you've had to make a bunch of changes to get the bike to feel right for you. You went from loving the bike initially (probably the new bike wow factor and coming off a 250 2-stroke) to not being happy with many areas of the bike and changing out parts and hunting for settings. I'm honestly thinking about purchasing this bike for myself, and don't mind tinkering, but it seems like every single owner has had to make lots of changes to get the bike to feel right for them. I've ridden a 2022 YZ450F, 2022 KTM 450SX-F, and a 2021 KX450f, all stock, and none of them felt weird to the point where i'd have to make drastic changes to feel comfortable on it.

The Shop

SoCalMX70
4/5/2022 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2022 12:09pm
Sounds to me like you've had to make a bunch of changes to get the bike to feel right for you. You went from loving the...
Sounds to me like you've had to make a bunch of changes to get the bike to feel right for you. You went from loving the bike initially (probably the new bike wow factor and coming off a 250 2-stroke) to not being happy with many areas of the bike and changing out parts and hunting for settings. I'm honestly thinking about purchasing this bike for myself, and don't mind tinkering, but it seems like every single owner has had to make lots of changes to get the bike to feel right for them. I've ridden a 2022 YZ450F, 2022 KTM 450SX-F, and a 2021 KX450f, all stock, and none of them felt weird to the point where i'd have to make drastic changes to feel comfortable on it.
I've loved the bike the entire time, to be fair. But.... I also love tinkering and playing with different parts. The Hondas are sensitive to setup, for sure, but that doesn't bother me one bit. Bike has 17 hours now and I've done the following:

-Suspension valving (I said from the beginning the stock fork valving is horrible)
-ECU (because a friend gave it to me)
-Engine mounts
-Clamps
-Foot pegs (only Yamaha has an acceptable stock peg imo)

If I bought another YZ (2-stroke} this list would be much longer. If I bought any other new 4 stroke I would have the same thread and would be documenting the changes I made and why. I've slow played every change on this bike because I wanted to really FEEL the difference each time.

There's not a bike out there I'd ride for a long time stock. The KX might actually get the closest for me as far as comfort out of the box. The YZ-F has great suspension but the ergos are horrendous for my height. I haven't ridden a KTM since 2019 except for a 150 recently (super plush and comfortable!), so no comment there.

Edit: I'll also add that I'm splitting hairs at this point with setup... We're talking a couple mm of sag and fork height. Again, the chassis is sensitive! That's what you get with a Honda. You're either a setup guy and you're good with it, or maybe it's not the right bike. That's why there's options, of course.
jtiger12
4/5/2022 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2022 1:03pm
Yeti831 wrote:
Dude, you’ll love it. Me, personally, I ran stock bars and rear position (on Xtrig mounts) for a while then went to a Windham Fatbar. I...
Dude, you’ll love it.

Me, personally, I ran stock bars and rear position (on Xtrig mounts) for a while then went to a Windham Fatbar. I also added some Pro Pegs and System Tech Racing lowered peg mounts. Doesn’t need lowered mounts stock, but pro pegs have a slight upsweep so they kind of even out. Bars still in rear mounts. I lean back a lot and seems to be less touchy than the forward position.

I’m 6’6” and it’s the best thumper I’ve ridden since i had a ‘12 RMZ.

Once you get the suspension dialed, it stupid how comfortable that bike can be. I use to think map 3 was too touchy but now it’s all I ride. Kinda want a touch more from low to mid but I like gearing I have (14/53).

But yeah, there are a few other touches but mainly bars, grips and suspension are all she really needs 👍

P.s. this particular specimen appears to like VPR. Seems to clean up/mask the very few limitations of the stock maps fwiw.
14 tooth front? i didnt think that would clear with the stock guard.. are you runnign x ring, and if so did you need a shim?

I also love my 21.. sweet bike.. only other 450 that comes close is the KX450F
GPrider
4/5/2022 3:27pm
Yeti831 wrote:
Dude, you’ll love it. Me, personally, I ran stock bars and rear position (on Xtrig mounts) for a while then went to a Windham Fatbar. I...
Dude, you’ll love it.

Me, personally, I ran stock bars and rear position (on Xtrig mounts) for a while then went to a Windham Fatbar. I also added some Pro Pegs and System Tech Racing lowered peg mounts. Doesn’t need lowered mounts stock, but pro pegs have a slight upsweep so they kind of even out. Bars still in rear mounts. I lean back a lot and seems to be less touchy than the forward position.

Once you get the suspension dialed, it stupid how comfortable that bike can be. I use to think map 3 was too touchy but now it’s all I ride. Kinda want a touch more from low to mid but I like gearing I have (14/53).

But yeah, there are a few other touches but mainly bars, grips and suspension are all she really needs 👍

P.s. this particular specimen appears to like VPR. Seems to clean up/mask the very few limitations of the stock maps fwiw.
jtiger12 wrote:
14 tooth front? i didnt think that would clear with the stock guard.. are you runnign x ring, and if so did you need a shim...
14 tooth front? i didnt think that would clear with the stock guard.. are you runnign x ring, and if so did you need a shim?

I run a 14 tooth on my 22. It clears. Such a good mod. Surprised more people dont go this route.
RCMXracing
4/5/2022 6:24pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Couple updates to the bike. FCP mounts: Mostly a waste of money for me. Almost imperceptible difference between these and setting a lower torque value on...

FCP mounts: Mostly a waste of money for me. Almost imperceptible difference between these and setting a lower torque value on the stock mounts. I'll say it differently... Lowering the torque value on the stock mounts does result in a small improvement in chassis flex imo. Going from that to the FCP mounts (at recommended values they provide) is negligible. That's just me though. Others may certainly be more sensitive to this change.

Ride Engineering 23.5mm split clamps: HUGE difference in front end comfort. Takes a "spike" (harshness) out of the bars that I apparently had gotten used to. When I switched to the new clamps it's the first thing I noticed. Feels "cushy" now. My hands are thanking me! Also calmed the chassis down quite a bit as there are less twitch movements through chop now.

Sag is at 103 and fork height 2.5mm and it feels very balanced. I was losing some front wheel traction coming out of corners with the old clamps at flush height and 105mm+ of sag. It was a vague feeling with push. It sticks very well now.
Would love to test the Ride 22mm and the 23.5 clamps. Also there’s Luxon and Xtrig, believe both stock 22mm.

I’ve gotten a good set up with stock clamps, flush forks, 103 sag, Enzo valving for 185lbs and stock springs. I don’t want to dick up the cornering!

If it can be better while keeping good cornering traits would be interested in clamps. There’s some slight instability on choppy braking bumps entering the corner before rut. Sometimes get unwanted direction changes that mess up entry. At high speed the bike is surprisingly stable for one that corners so damn good.
Yeti831
4/5/2022 10:35pm
Yeti831 wrote:
Dude, you’ll love it.

jtiger12 wrote:
14 tooth front? i didnt think that would clear with the stock guard.. are you runnign x ring, and if so did you need a shim...

I run an ERT3 so I don’t have to worry about orings.

But on that note, it clears the stock guard fine but my cmt carbon guard needed very minor shaving around the lower bolt area.
wydopen
4/6/2022 4:44am
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Couple updates to the bike. FCP mounts: Mostly a waste of money for me. Almost imperceptible difference between these and setting a lower torque value on...

You looked noticeably more comfortable at LACR than you did previously. Bike looked really good. Glad you got it dialed in. Hopefully you are gonna bump up so we can battle this weekend.

Post a reply to: Something New For '22 (CRF450)

The Latest