Something New For '22 (CRF450)

Grouper
1/28/2022 6:04am Edited Date/Time 1/28/2022 9:12am
James I really enjoy the way you describe things, very vivid. From our discussion in my thread about finding a bike, do you think the Honda 450 should make my list? I'm actively searching for an MC350 now. Also, you mentioned liking flatter and less swept bars. I happen to have the picture on hand from another thread. Check out the "SX Straight" bend. you could always take the crossbar off if you wanted to (or cut it).

Edit: I'll sell them to you if you want to try a set. I am going to buy some fat bars Smile
SoCalMX70
3/2/2022 1:28pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2022 7:59pm
Alright, 10 hours on the bike!

Got the suspension pretty dialed, which included going up a rate on the rear. Did wonders for balance and being able to properly get through whoops.

Just like you read about, this bike is very sensitive to changes. I found the sweet spot with my high speed comp and a quarter turn either way changes everything in a very negative way. Same with sag! It seems if you do any slight adjustment to how high/low the rear sits, it results in dramatic changes. It's pretty crazy compared to my YZ where it seemed like sweeping changes netted barely perceptible differences.

The good news is I've ridden a few different tracks now and I keep ending up back at or near my base/comfort setting that I established at LACR. Even at Glen Helen this past weekend, which is a wildly different kind of track, I ended back where I was except going a little slower on rebound in the front. I'm leaving it at this setting for an LACR private day next week to see if it is yet a positive difference there and can be the new "base".

Good thing I like tweaking with settings... I could see other folks throwing in the towel with this bike.

To sum it up, the bike is now generally comfortable everywhere on a track, but still somewhat rigid through the frame in chop. I tried Keefer's alternate torque settings and can say it helps a bit. Maybe I'll try some of those fancy engine mounts?

Oh, and I now have my buddy's Twisted Development tuned stock ECU installed (he has a vortex now). It made a huge difference in power delivery. Way cleaner off the bottom and pulls all the way through smoothly. At first I ran it with no TC... It ended up being a bit too much for me, especially in flatter slick corners. TC1 ended up being the ticket. It's perfect. I won't touch it again.
3/4/2022 4:57am
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Alright, 10 hours on the bike! Got the suspension pretty dialed, which included going up a rate on the rear. Did wonders for balance and being...

Got the suspension pretty dialed, which included going up a rate on the rear. Did wonders for balance and being able to properly get through whoops.

Just like you read about, this bike is very sensitive to changes. I found the sweet spot with my high speed comp and a quarter turn either way changes everything in a very negative way. Same with sag! It seems if you do any slight adjustment to how high/low the rear sits, it results in dramatic changes. It's pretty crazy compared to my YZ where it seemed like sweeping changes netted barely perceptible differences.

The good news is I've ridden a few different tracks now and I keep ending up back at or near my base/comfort setting that I established at LACR. Even at Glen Helen this past weekend, which is a wildly different kind of track, I ended back where I was except going a little slower on rebound in the front. I'm leaving it at this setting for an LACR private day next week to see if it is yet a positive difference there and can be the new "base".

Good thing I like tweaking with settings... I could see other folks throwing in the towel with this bike.

To sum it up, the bike is now generally comfortable everywhere on a track, but still somewhat rigid through the frame in chop. I tried Keefer's alternate torque settings and can say it helps a bit. Maybe I'll try some of those fancy engine mounts?

Oh, and I now have my buddy's Twisted Development tuned stock ECU installed (he has a vortex now). It made a huge difference in power delivery. Way cleaner off the bottom and pulls all the way through smoothly. At first I ran it with no TC... It ended up being a bit too much for me, especially in flatter slick corners. TC1 ended up being the ticket. It's perfect. I won't touch it again.
Thanks for the feedback Good To Hear you are getting it figured out !!!
3/4/2022 6:14am
So after a couple months off the YZ, are you glad you switched? I have a '21 YZ250 that I do like but I keep having thoughts of going to a Honda 450. I've never had a 450, only 250Fs. I love the 2 stroke as I've ridden many 125s in my past but this 250 is kind of kicking my tail. Love the challenge but at times I just want to be able to turn more laps.

The Shop

SoCalMX70
3/4/2022 8:31am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2022 8:38am
So after a couple months off the YZ, are you glad you switched? I have a '21 YZ250 that I do like but I keep having...
So after a couple months off the YZ, are you glad you switched? I have a '21 YZ250 that I do like but I keep having thoughts of going to a Honda 450. I've never had a 450, only 250Fs. I love the 2 stroke as I've ridden many 125s in my past but this 250 is kind of kicking my tail. Love the challenge but at times I just want to be able to turn more laps.

I would say that I'm glad in that I've enjoyed riding and racing a brand new 4 stroke.

Honestly I'd like to have both, or even a 125 to play around on and do one-off races.

A lot of people say a 450 is "easier to ride", but I don't really buy into that (for my skill level). Maybe easier to jump certain things out of corners and recover from mistakes, but in race situations where I'm trying to push it, it can be a handful. I can't confidently say I could do more hard laps on the 450 compared to my YZ.

I also haven't done a scientific comparison, so for all I know I could ride the 450 at 80% and do the same laptimes as what I would get on the YZ. I just don't FEEL any faster on the 450....Yet.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/4/2022 9:16am
So after a couple months off the YZ, are you glad you switched? I have a '21 YZ250 that I do like but I keep having...

SoCalMX70 wrote:
I would say that I'm glad in that I've enjoyed riding and racing a brand new 4 stroke. Honestly I'd like to have both, or even...
I would say that I'm glad in that I've enjoyed riding and racing a brand new 4 stroke.

Honestly I'd like to have both, or even a 125 to play around on and do one-off races.

A lot of people say a 450 is "easier to ride", but I don't really buy into that (for my skill level). Maybe easier to jump certain things out of corners and recover from mistakes, but in race situations where I'm trying to push it, it can be a handful. I can't confidently say I could do more hard laps on the 450 compared to my YZ.

I also haven't done a scientific comparison, so for all I know I could ride the 450 at 80% and do the same laptimes as what I would get on the YZ. I just don't FEEL any faster on the 450....Yet.
In my experience jumping between a YZ250 and any 450 was that the 450 was easier to do everything on especially when not pushing, but did wear me out way faster when I pushed. The 250, even though I had to ride it harder, I could ride for quite a bit longer when pushing. Being able to jump back and forth I really noticed the difference in weight and inertia and I really feel like that was a big part of being able to ride the 2 stroke longer. I guess riding 4 strokes as long as I had I never really felt or thought much about either one of those issues.

As you know though, both definitely have pros and cons and are both enjoyable to spend time on. In a perfect world I'd have a 125, 250 and 450 to choose between each time I ride, haha!

Glad you're enjoying the new bike and have it pretty dialed in! I was planning on joining you guys next weekend, but it has to be postponed a few weeks. Are you heading up for practice Saturday?
Yeti831
3/4/2022 10:13am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2022 10:16am
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Alright, 10 hours on the bike! Got the suspension pretty dialed, which included going up a rate on the rear. Did wonders for balance and being...

I think you summarized my setup issues with the bike:

A “general” will work great for just about anything. But finding the sweet spot that does is is an absolute PITA haha

I’m honestly not sure if it’s the chassis, the suspension or everything because the newer Showa stuff seems to be sensitive to changes.

If you do go with engine mounts, take my advice and don’t waste you money on the lowers. Just get the medium or soft uppers and run the oem aluminum lowers. It makes for a very forgiving chassis, probably the most forgiving aluminum frame I’ve ever ridden so far.
SoCalMX70
3/4/2022 10:37am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
In my experience jumping between a YZ250 and any 450 was that the 450 was easier to do everything on especially when not pushing, but did...
In my experience jumping between a YZ250 and any 450 was that the 450 was easier to do everything on especially when not pushing, but did wear me out way faster when I pushed. The 250, even though I had to ride it harder, I could ride for quite a bit longer when pushing. Being able to jump back and forth I really noticed the difference in weight and inertia and I really feel like that was a big part of being able to ride the 2 stroke longer. I guess riding 4 strokes as long as I had I never really felt or thought much about either one of those issues.

As you know though, both definitely have pros and cons and are both enjoyable to spend time on. In a perfect world I'd have a 125, 250 and 450 to choose between each time I ride, haha!

Glad you're enjoying the new bike and have it pretty dialed in! I was planning on joining you guys next weekend, but it has to be postponed a few weeks. Are you heading up for practice Saturday?
Yeah, the 450 100% requires more "brute strength" when pushing hard. It's crazy how different it is really.

The Honda really rewards precision and smoothness. It punishes me hard when I get a little wild with it... and that's actually the one area where I really miss the 2-stroke. I often had cool moments in races where I would push the YZ really hard and outside my comfort zone and it always paid off. It made me feel like a badass haha. There's no way I'm doing that on the Honda... I'm just not there yet with comfort and it has scared me a couple times.

On the flip side, the Honda chassis is actually EASIER to flick around in the air than my YZ was. That is probably the most surprising feeling I've had with it so far. It is extremely easy to move around and make mid-air corrections. it makes for some really fun jumping!

I'll be out at LACR Thursday for the private rental I booked. Still have 2 spots on that if you want to come down. Then I'll be at American MX Saturday-Sunday for practice and the race.

SoCalMX70
3/4/2022 10:38am
SoCalMX70 wrote:

Yeti831 wrote:
I think you summarized my setup issues with the bike: A “general” will work great for just about anything. But finding the sweet spot that does...
I think you summarized my setup issues with the bike:

A “general” will work great for just about anything. But finding the sweet spot that does is is an absolute PITA haha

I’m honestly not sure if it’s the chassis, the suspension or everything because the newer Showa stuff seems to be sensitive to changes.

If you do go with engine mounts, take my advice and don’t waste you money on the lowers. Just get the medium or soft uppers and run the oem aluminum lowers. It makes for a very forgiving chassis, probably the most forgiving aluminum frame I’ve ever ridden so far.
Thanks for the heads up on the mounts!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/4/2022 10:49am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
In my experience jumping between a YZ250 and any 450 was that the 450 was easier to do everything on especially when not pushing, but did...

SoCalMX70 wrote:
Yeah, the 450 100% requires more "brute strength" when pushing hard. It's crazy how different it is really. The Honda really rewards precision and smoothness. It...
Yeah, the 450 100% requires more "brute strength" when pushing hard. It's crazy how different it is really.

The Honda really rewards precision and smoothness. It punishes me hard when I get a little wild with it... and that's actually the one area where I really miss the 2-stroke. I often had cool moments in races where I would push the YZ really hard and outside my comfort zone and it always paid off. It made me feel like a badass haha. There's no way I'm doing that on the Honda... I'm just not there yet with comfort and it has scared me a couple times.

On the flip side, the Honda chassis is actually EASIER to flick around in the air than my YZ was. That is probably the most surprising feeling I've had with it so far. It is extremely easy to move around and make mid-air corrections. it makes for some really fun jumping!

I'll be out at LACR Thursday for the private rental I booked. Still have 2 spots on that if you want to come down. Then I'll be at American MX Saturday-Sunday for practice and the race.

I was hoping to get the day off but one of my guys has Thursday and Friday off so I'm stuck at work. There is a possibility that I might make it out there on Saturday with my pops, but don't have a for sure answer on that yet. I'll let you know when I find out.
wydopen
3/4/2022 11:23am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2022 11:25am
mattyhamz2 wrote:

SoCalMX70 wrote:
Yeah, the 450 100% requires more "brute strength" when pushing hard. It's crazy how different it is really. The Honda really rewards precision and smoothness. It...

Let me know next time you do a rental and have two extra spots. Gonna be out there Saturday then next weekend my sons got a race there so not gonna make it to American mx but looking forward to the national.
SoCalMX70
3/4/2022 2:31pm
wydopen wrote:
Let me know next time you do a rental and have two extra spots. Gonna be out there Saturday then next weekend my sons got a...
Let me know next time you do a rental and have two extra spots. Gonna be out there Saturday then next weekend my sons got a race there so not gonna make it to American mx but looking forward to the national.
Send me a PM if you want those last 2 spots!
wydopen
3/5/2022 4:53am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2022 4:37am
wydopen wrote:
Let me know next time you do a rental and have two extra spots. Gonna be out there Saturday then next weekend my sons got a...
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Send me a PM if you want those last 2 spots!
I thought that post was from a few days ago and you rented it this past Thursday. We are gonna be there Friday-Sun next weekend for my kids race so can’t do it this time but if you rent it again let me know.
Andy7
Fantasy
1292nd
3/14/2022 6:46am
How much engine braking do new 450's have? I made the switch from a 2012 KXF 450 to a YZ 250 and the biggest (positive) change was the lack of engine braking. I really hated engine braking. How outdated my experience is when it comes to 450's?
3/14/2022 7:27am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2022 9:14am
Andy7 wrote:
How much engine braking do new 450's have? I made the switch from a 2012 KXF 450 to a YZ 250 and the biggest (positive) change...
How much engine braking do new 450's have? I made the switch from a 2012 KXF 450 to a YZ 250 and the biggest (positive) change was the lack of engine braking. I really hated engine braking. How outdated my experience is when it comes to 450's?
I have owned almost every generation CRF450 and with every generation the engine braking has decreased. The power also continues to get less “chunky” and more free revving and responsive, downside being a little less luggable.
SoCalMX70
3/16/2022 9:50am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2022 9:51am
Andy7 wrote:
How much engine braking do new 450's have? I made the switch from a 2012 KXF 450 to a YZ 250 and the biggest (positive) change...
I have owned almost every generation CRF450 and with every generation the engine braking has decreased. The power also continues to get less “chunky” and more...
I have owned almost every generation CRF450 and with every generation the engine braking has decreased. The power also continues to get less “chunky” and more free revving and responsive, downside being a little less luggable.
This is 100% right. On the note of luggability, the Honda does not pull 3rd out of corners like you would expect from a typical (maybe older design) 450. The power band is very free and fun, but it's not a "put it in 3rd and forget it" bike.

I know some guys who have gone up a tooth on the rear (the "Jody") to get more lug. I don't see a reason to do that because I came off a 2 stroke and this bike obviously pulls way harder than my YZ did... It works awesome for me.
Huckster
3/16/2022 10:59am
SoCalMX70 wrote:
This is 100% right. On the note of luggability, the Honda does not pull 3rd out of corners like you would expect from a typical (maybe...
This is 100% right. On the note of luggability, the Honda does not pull 3rd out of corners like you would expect from a typical (maybe older design) 450. The power band is very free and fun, but it's not a "put it in 3rd and forget it" bike.

I know some guys who have gone up a tooth on the rear (the "Jody") to get more lug. I don't see a reason to do that because I came off a 2 stroke and this bike obviously pulls way harder than my YZ did... It works awesome for me.
the Honda does not pull 3rd out of corners like you would expect from a typical (maybe older design) 450. That is disappointing to hear. I am that guy and just bought a Honda. Hope I like it. 🤞
SoCalMX70
3/16/2022 11:20am
Huckster wrote:
the Honda does not pull 3rd out of corners like you would expect from a typical (maybe older design) 450. That is disappointing to hear. I...
the Honda does not pull 3rd out of corners like you would expect from a typical (maybe older design) 450. That is disappointing to hear. I am that guy and just bought a Honda. Hope I like it. 🤞
See how it feels then think about going up a tooth. Also, mapping makes a big difference. Running my buddy's TD tuned ECU made a big difference in getting a clean bottom pull.
RCMXracing
3/16/2022 11:54am
Coming off KTM the 2nd to 3rd gap felt bigger on the CRF, I went up a tooth.

Now running 3rd in most corners, 2nd still good for tight corners and revs plenty for jumps out of corners if you leave it in second, but also can slip clutch and pulls 3rd well.
Yz229
3/16/2022 12:06pm
After buying a nice used 2020 YZ450F, changing mapping, opening up the airbox and suspension revalve, I know what you mean comparing to the 450 to the YZ250.

Although mine is a TMR 315 stroker two stroke, it's still far easier to push it hard. Even though on the YZ450F I can keep in 3rd gear all the way around the track. The 450 just makes so much damn power everywhere, even on the "smoother" maps it just hooks up and goes.

I guess growing up riding two strokes, the slightly more disconnected rear wheel steering just suits me a bit better.
KAWI642
3/16/2022 3:10pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2022 3:11pm
I have 2 of them, a WE and a regular. Factory Connection did both of them we run 108mm sag. Their recommendation is 110 as a baseline. The regular one we have 23.5 RE Clamps on it. My Son loves them previous bike was a 21' YZ 450. He likes the Honda hands down over the Yamaha.
KAWI642
3/16/2022 3:11pm
Huckster wrote:
the Honda does not pull 3rd out of corners like you would expect from a typical (maybe older design) 450. That is disappointing to hear. I...
SoCalMX70 wrote:
See how it feels then think about going up a tooth. Also, mapping makes a big difference. Running my buddy's TD tuned ECU made a big...
See how it feels then think about going up a tooth. Also, mapping makes a big difference. Running my buddy's TD tuned ECU made a big difference in getting a clean bottom pull.
We went up 1 tooth to a 50 on ours.
Huckster
3/16/2022 3:44pm
Huckster wrote:
SoCalMX70 wrote:
See how it feels then think about going up a tooth. Also, mapping makes a big difference. Running my buddy's TD tuned ECU made a big...
KAWI642 wrote:
I have a 50t. I will try that. Any other tips?
3/16/2022 4:22pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
KAWI642 wrote:
Huckster wrote:
I have a 50t. I will try that. Any other tips?
I’d say to make the bike perfect it would be fork revalve, twisted/xpr remap and 50T. I’ve only done the 50T so far and debating the other two things. But not to worry, even now it’s nit picking, the bike is awesome and thee best CRF I’ve had. Light feeling, handles awesome obviously and very fast engine. You can still lug it some, just likes to be revved a little more over old CRF’s/shifted to second occasionally but the overall engine package is awesome and responsive so a good trade off and only downside.
KAWI642
3/17/2022 6:02am
after the last 2 years of shootouts and the information from the "experts" about this bike and where it has finished in the shootouts it has further convinced me of the utter uselessness of their information. Not only is this bike bad ass but it has HONDA quality and everything is easy to work on.
wr74
3/17/2022 7:44am
KAWI642 wrote:
after the last 2 years of shootouts and the information from the "experts" about this bike and where it has finished in the shootouts it has...
after the last 2 years of shootouts and the information from the "experts" about this bike and where it has finished in the shootouts it has further convinced me of the utter uselessness of their information. Not only is this bike bad ass but it has HONDA quality and everything is easy to work on.
Totally agree. I usually buy the first gen Honda 450’s. Had the 09, 13 and 17 previously, and enjoyed them all. I chickened out of buying the 21 given all the bad reviews, and bought a 20 ktm450 instead. The Ktm was a great bike, but the air forks are just a pain, and I didn’t enjoy the heavier engine braking of the Austrian bike. Back on a 21 crf450r now and loving it. Hands down a better bike than the 20 Ktm, imo. Power delivery is insane on the new Honda (I’m in Australia, and 21’s here got the updated ecu maps as standard). Adjustability of power delivery through the maps and tc options is amazing. I find it lugs 3rd gear in corners better than any previous gen Honda even with stock gearing. Handling is excellent, I don’t feel the instability or nervousness that media outlets claim. Maybe I’m not fast enough, haha. Front end is super planted for me. I’m about to send the forks out to get revalved and that’s all it really needs.
KAWI642
3/17/2022 9:59am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2022 10:05am
KAWI642 wrote:
after the last 2 years of shootouts and the information from the "experts" about this bike and where it has finished in the shootouts it has...
wr74 wrote:
Totally agree. I usually buy the first gen Honda 450’s. Had the 09, 13 and 17 previously, and enjoyed them all. I chickened out of buying...
Totally agree. I usually buy the first gen Honda 450’s. Had the 09, 13 and 17 previously, and enjoyed them all. I chickened out of buying the 21 given all the bad reviews, and bought a 20 ktm450 instead. The Ktm was a great bike, but the air forks are just a pain, and I didn’t enjoy the heavier engine braking of the Austrian bike. Back on a 21 crf450r now and loving it. Hands down a better bike than the 20 Ktm, imo. Power delivery is insane on the new Honda (I’m in Australia, and 21’s here got the updated ecu maps as standard). Adjustability of power delivery through the maps and tc options is amazing. I find it lugs 3rd gear in corners better than any previous gen Honda even with stock gearing. Handling is excellent, I don’t feel the instability or nervousness that media outlets claim. Maybe I’m not fast enough, haha. Front end is super planted for me. I’m about to send the forks out to get revalved and that’s all it really needs.
Honda doesn't bow down to the Magazine editors and kiss their ass is why IMO.... they dont and they wont. . You can hear the Pettiness in Mosimon from MXA the most . i don't even read them anymore.

SoCalMX70
3/17/2022 10:15am
I'll just reiterate that I'm splitting hairs with the negative comments or "complaints" I have with the bike. It's an amazing bike, truly. I'm also coming off 5 years being on a YZ250. The difference between these bikes is obviously night and day.

There isn't a moment I get on the Honda and feel any sense of regret or longing for my old bike, haha. I'm having a blast getting to know it and yes, make it even better with different adjustments. I'm very much slow playing adding parts and making changes as I want to be 100% cognizant of what affect any changes have.

The one thing no one will convince me of is that the bike isn't twitchy or nervous. That stock 22mm offset with 5mm of fork height is extremely twitchy imo. It's an easy fix though... Flush fork height and 105mm sag calmed my bike down significantly. Everyone is different though and I came off a bike that was as stable (and slow turning) as a couch. For the Honda, I've been riding a lot of high speed tracks and there's no way I'd run the stock setup.
SoCalMX70
3/17/2022 10:17am
KAWI642 wrote:
Bike has been a gem to work on. I expected a lot more pain coming off the ancient tech of the YZ, but everything has been super easy to get to on this bike.
Sandusky26
3/17/2022 2:17pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
I'll just reiterate that I'm splitting hairs with the negative comments or "complaints" I have with the bike. It's an amazing bike, truly. I'm also coming...
I'll just reiterate that I'm splitting hairs with the negative comments or "complaints" I have with the bike. It's an amazing bike, truly. I'm also coming off 5 years being on a YZ250. The difference between these bikes is obviously night and day.

There isn't a moment I get on the Honda and feel any sense of regret or longing for my old bike, haha. I'm having a blast getting to know it and yes, make it even better with different adjustments. I'm very much slow playing adding parts and making changes as I want to be 100% cognizant of what affect any changes have.

The one thing no one will convince me of is that the bike isn't twitchy or nervous. That stock 22mm offset with 5mm of fork height is extremely twitchy imo. It's an easy fix though... Flush fork height and 105mm sag calmed my bike down significantly. Everyone is different though and I came off a bike that was as stable (and slow turning) as a couch. For the Honda, I've been riding a lot of high speed tracks and there's no way I'd run the stock setup.
Try more sag, I like 108 with the forks flush on my RMZ.

Post a reply to: Something New For '22 (CRF450)

The Latest