Something New For '22 (CRF450)

SoCalMX70
Edited Date/Time 4/6/2022 4:45am
After 5 years on the smokey YZ, decided to give one of these a shot...

I am super excited to get into a new 4-stroke! Last one I owned was an '06 RMZ. Every other one I've ridden since have been a few laps here and there on buddies' bikes. Never rode the new design CRF, but damn she is beautiful! Can't wait to get out to the track this weekend and start figuring it out.

Suspension will be revalved and setup for me in a couple weeks. Maybe some different bars will go on it and that's it (at least for awhile).

Just a question... Any taller guys running the forward clamp position? I'm 6'1" and it feels pretty good in stock position sitting on it. I'll just run it for now and mess with it later.
|
Moto520
1/11/2022 2:06pm
Congratulations on new bike day! There's nothing like it
RCMXracing
1/11/2022 9:49pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
After 5 years on the smokey YZ, decided to give one of these a shot... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/01/11/527930/s1200_20220108_130116.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/01/11/527928/s1200_20220108_095501.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/01/11/527929/s1200_20220108_104825.jpg[/img] I am super excited to get into a...

I am super excited to get into a new 4-stroke! Last one I owned was an '06 RMZ. Every other one I've ridden since have been a few laps here and there on buddies' bikes. Never rode the new design CRF, but damn she is beautiful! Can't wait to get out to the track this weekend and start figuring it out.

Suspension will be revalved and setup for me in a couple weeks. Maybe some different bars will go on it and that's it (at least for awhile).

Just a question... Any taller guys running the forward clamp position? I'm 6'1" and it feels pretty good in stock position sitting on it. I'll just run it for now and mess with it later.
You’re gonna love that bike, I’ve got a 21, ridden and raced nearly 60 hrs and no issues. BTW my play bike is a YZ250 2 stroke and the Honda corners better.

Struggled with the bike oversteering, went flush on forks, problem solved, you’ve got a big range with fork height and sag and the bike responds noticeably.

Personally I really like the stock bar bend. Position wise I immediately went to forward hole, mounts flipped back, then on a whim after many hours returned to back hole flipped forward and realized that was way better for cornering. If you get a bar with more sweep maybe that forward hole is good. I’m 5’ 10”, but short legs and long torso/arms.
SoCalMX70
1/11/2022 10:32pm
RCMXracing wrote:
You’re gonna love that bike, I’ve got a 21, ridden and raced nearly 60 hrs and no issues. BTW my play bike is a YZ250 2...
You’re gonna love that bike, I’ve got a 21, ridden and raced nearly 60 hrs and no issues. BTW my play bike is a YZ250 2 stroke and the Honda corners better.

Struggled with the bike oversteering, went flush on forks, problem solved, you’ve got a big range with fork height and sag and the bike responds noticeably.

Personally I really like the stock bar bend. Position wise I immediately went to forward hole, mounts flipped back, then on a whim after many hours returned to back hole flipped forward and realized that was way better for cornering. If you get a bar with more sweep maybe that forward hole is good. I’m 5’ 10”, but short legs and long torso/arms.
Excellent! I prefer flat bends (minimal sweep). Been running the TAG equivalent of a Renthal 996 the past couple years. I'll start with the clamps flipped forward in the rear holes.

The Shop

Yeti831
1/11/2022 11:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2022 11:54pm
Dude, you’ll love it.

Me, personally, I ran stock bars and rear position (on Xtrig mounts) for a while then went to a Windham Fatbar. I also added some Pro Pegs and System Tech Racing lowered peg mounts. Doesn’t need lowered mounts stock, but pro pegs have a slight upsweep so they kind of even out. Bars still in rear mounts. I lean back a lot and seems to be less touchy than the forward position.

I’m 6’6” and it’s the best thumper I’ve ridden since i had a ‘12 RMZ.

Once you get the suspension dialed, it stupid how comfortable that bike can be. I use to think map 3 was too touchy but now it’s all I ride. Kinda want a touch more from low to mid but I like gearing I have (14/53).

But yeah, there are a few other touches but mainly bars, grips and suspension are all she really needs 👍

P.s. this particular specimen appears to like VPR. Seems to clean up/mask the very few limitations of the stock maps fwiw.
Yeti831
1/12/2022 12:03am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2022 12:04am
SoCalMX70 wrote:
After 5 years on the smokey YZ, decided to give one of these a shot... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/01/11/527930/s1200_20220108_130116.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/01/11/527928/s1200_20220108_095501.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/01/11/527929/s1200_20220108_104825.jpg[/img] I am super excited to get into a...

RCMXracing wrote:
You’re gonna love that bike, I’ve got a 21, ridden and raced nearly 60 hrs and no issues. BTW my play bike is a YZ250 2...

I thought I was crazy in the bike oversteering, but apparently I’m not alone.

After initial setup, I went from .56 to .58 springs up front while putting the fork height from +5 to zero. At first I thought it was too firm/high up, but this running 110mm of sag with a 6.3 in back really keeps it connected and balanced the faster you go or the rougher it gets.

Especially with the rear axle a tad towards the rear, it’s insanely stable. I did cut down on the fork compression, I think like 18 or 20 out. It lets the spring do all the hold up and ride duties while keeping the valving mellow enough without diving.

I’ve always been a KYB snob but I’ve never really ridden anything for a considerable amount of time that uses 49mm showas. Especially the newer stuff.

I kinda see what I’ve been missing for 8-10 years haha.
wydopen
1/12/2022 10:30am
SoCalMX70 wrote:

Nice..that’s what I woulda got if I didn’t get the 350..look forward to racing in a couple weeks..
SoCalMX70
1/14/2022 2:12pm
Got my bike ready yesterday for the first track day tomorrow. Just added an hour meter and dropped the forks to flush. Bar clamps were already flipped to forward position (either that is stock or dealer just did it that way) in rear holes. Again, feels super comfy just sitting on it.

Good to go! Ride report incoming in a day or 2... Then another one after the suspension gets done.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
1/14/2022 2:23pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Got my bike ready yesterday for the first track day tomorrow. Just added an hour meter and dropped the forks to flush. Bar clamps were already...
Got my bike ready yesterday for the first track day tomorrow. Just added an hour meter and dropped the forks to flush. Bar clamps were already flipped to forward position (either that is stock or dealer just did it that way) in rear holes. Again, feels super comfy just sitting on it.

Good to go! Ride report incoming in a day or 2... Then another one after the suspension gets done.
Have fun man! Enjoy breaking her in
mvd61
1/14/2022 8:30pm
I too found less twitchy steering by sliding the forks down flush. Luxon triples show up on Monday. Went with the 24mm offset. Can’t wait to try them out. I wanted to chopper it out a bit and run normal fork height. Also added a vortex and Rekluse torq drive manual. Both made great improvements.
DC193
1/15/2022 1:36am

congrats man, got to enjoy bringing my first ever brand new bike home today too (gasgas 450) - its a nice feeling.
SoCalMX70
1/15/2022 2:54pm
Whew! What a fun morning! Took me a few rides to get up to a decent speed after not riding for 2 months, brand new bike, 2 stroke to 4 stroke, etc. I probably did 30+ minutes during my last ride because I really started feeling it and didn't want to get off the track!. Anyway, here's what's up...

Pros:
-Smooth and strong power bottom to top. I rode almost every lap between 3rd and 4th gear, occasional 2nd for an inside rut. I'd probably feel the same on any 450 compared to my old bike, but whatever. This bike just feels like it has power at any RPM. It's ready to go, but doesn't rip your arms off unless you really ask it too. Map 1, TC 1 all day, didn't mess with it.

-Best cornering I've ever felt on a dirtbike. You think it, it does it. Berms, ruts, cutting down early off a berm, whatever! It just goes where you're looking. I've never put so little effort into the handlebars in a corner on any bike. It's a dream!

-No twitchy weirdness out of the chassis. I started with the forks flush and I couldn't imagine it being any better. To be fair though, this was a slow day at LACR and only small bumps and holes developed. I could imagine Glen Helen being a lot different.

-Yes, the rider triangle is perfect. Everyone says it is. It is. I'm 6'1", it feels great. The more aggressive I got, the better the peg/seat/bar relationship felt. When you come into a corner and sit down, you're always in the right position. Stock bars feel great, but I'm still going to try my usual 996 bend to see if I'm missing anything.

-Lightweight feeling. Just flickable and easy to maneuver in general.

Cons:
-Front fork. That mid valving... are there bricks in there? Whoops, jumps... Doesn't matter if you're doing everything right, your hands will hurt on every hit/landing. It feels like it is bottoming at mid-stroke. It's bad. My much faster friend took it out for a few laps and came back saying the same. Bike feels amazing everywhere, until you land a jump.

Don't know yet:
-Shock. The fork was so distracting all I can really say about the shock is that it felt "normal". That's it. It didn't do anything weird. It wasn't harsh, it didn't kick, the rear never stepped out. It did it's job today, but I wonder what would become apparent on a different track or with a fork that has a half decent valving stack.

I'll probably race it in a couple weeks with just some clicker adjustments, then the suspension is coming off for some work.
Yeti831
1/15/2022 5:05pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Whew! What a fun morning! Took me a few rides to get up to a decent speed after not riding for 2 months, brand new bike...
Whew! What a fun morning! Took me a few rides to get up to a decent speed after not riding for 2 months, brand new bike, 2 stroke to 4 stroke, etc. I probably did 30+ minutes during my last ride because I really started feeling it and didn't want to get off the track!. Anyway, here's what's up...

Pros:
-Smooth and strong power bottom to top. I rode almost every lap between 3rd and 4th gear, occasional 2nd for an inside rut. I'd probably feel the same on any 450 compared to my old bike, but whatever. This bike just feels like it has power at any RPM. It's ready to go, but doesn't rip your arms off unless you really ask it too. Map 1, TC 1 all day, didn't mess with it.

-Best cornering I've ever felt on a dirtbike. You think it, it does it. Berms, ruts, cutting down early off a berm, whatever! It just goes where you're looking. I've never put so little effort into the handlebars in a corner on any bike. It's a dream!

-No twitchy weirdness out of the chassis. I started with the forks flush and I couldn't imagine it being any better. To be fair though, this was a slow day at LACR and only small bumps and holes developed. I could imagine Glen Helen being a lot different.

-Yes, the rider triangle is perfect. Everyone says it is. It is. I'm 6'1", it feels great. The more aggressive I got, the better the peg/seat/bar relationship felt. When you come into a corner and sit down, you're always in the right position. Stock bars feel great, but I'm still going to try my usual 996 bend to see if I'm missing anything.

-Lightweight feeling. Just flickable and easy to maneuver in general.

Cons:
-Front fork. That mid valving... are there bricks in there? Whoops, jumps... Doesn't matter if you're doing everything right, your hands will hurt on every hit/landing. It feels like it is bottoming at mid-stroke. It's bad. My much faster friend took it out for a few laps and came back saying the same. Bike feels amazing everywhere, until you land a jump.

Don't know yet:
-Shock. The fork was so distracting all I can really say about the shock is that it felt "normal". That's it. It didn't do anything weird. It wasn't harsh, it didn't kick, the rear never stepped out. It did it's job today, but I wonder what would become apparent on a different track or with a fork that has a half decent valving stack.

I'll probably race it in a couple weeks with just some clicker adjustments, then the suspension is coming off for some work.
Honestly, yes. The oem valving is a mess.

The shock is pretty good though. It’s just hard to tell because the fork is sprung soft with light compression valving in combination with a stiff midvalve.

Don’t try and tune it out, you won’t. Start with springing it to your weight but you’ll probably end up doing a revalve anyway.

My advice: keep the forks flush and try 110 on the sag as a starting point.

It’s hard to tell because I have my rear axle back but it’s very stable at speed but will still dive inside just about damn near anything if you do your part 👍

But yeah, spring it for you, set sag and go from there. I assure you, it only gets better as everything breaks in and you start making adjustments 🙂
SoCalMX70
1/15/2022 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2022 5:45pm
Yeti831 wrote:
Honestly, yes. The oem valving is a mess. The shock is pretty good though. It’s just hard to tell because the fork is sprung soft with...

The shock is pretty good though. It’s just hard to tell because the fork is sprung soft with light compression valving in combination with a stiff midvalve.

Don’t try and tune it out, you won’t. Start with springing it to your weight but you’ll probably end up doing a revalve anyway.

It’s hard to tell because I have my rear axle back but it’s very stable at speed but will still dive inside just about damn near anything if you do your part 👍

But yeah, spring it for you, set sag and go from there. I assure you, it only gets better as everything breaks in and you start making adjustments 🙂
Thanks for the info! At this point I'm racing in 2 weeks (though I probably won't be lighting the track on fire) and then the suspension is coming off for springs and valving. Just going to get it all done at once.

Another note, I didn't even check my sag today. I did already have the forks adjusted flush and it was never twitchy. Wouldn't be surprised if it's already about 110. I'll be setting sag next ride and probably add a couple clicks of compression to the front just to keep it out of the mid stroke a bit (just to get by for that weekend).
Yeti831
1/15/2022 10:37pm
Yeti831 wrote:
Honestly, yes. The oem valving is a mess. The shock is pretty good though. It’s just hard to tell because the fork is sprung soft with...

SoCalMX70 wrote:
Thanks for the info! At this point I'm racing in 2 weeks (though I probably won't be lighting the track on fire) and then the suspension...
Thanks for the info! At this point I'm racing in 2 weeks (though I probably won't be lighting the track on fire) and then the suspension is coming off for springs and valving. Just going to get it all done at once.

Another note, I didn't even check my sag today. I did already have the forks adjusted flush and it was never twitchy. Wouldn't be surprised if it's already about 110. I'll be setting sag next ride and probably add a couple clicks of compression to the front just to keep it out of the mid stroke a bit (just to get by for that weekend).
This bike heavily rewards a good sag setting.

I was running 100-105 at first and it was stink bugging everywhere and I went down the rabbit hole of messing with clickers all over the place.

I said, “I’m running a 6.3 in the back… dial it down.” So I went back to Pro Action’s base settings and to 110 in the rear. After that and taking about a half turn out on the high speed… perfection 👌

I was debating getting a linkage for it but running “excessive” sag seemed to do the trick.
DB505
1/16/2022 1:38pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:

Nice! In all my 40+yrs of racing I’ve never owned a Honda but thinking I need to before I hang up the boots lol
DB505
1/16/2022 1:41pm
Yeti831 wrote:

SoCalMX70 wrote:
Thanks for the info! At this point I'm racing in 2 weeks (though I probably won't be lighting the track on fire) and then the suspension...

Yeti831 wrote:
This bike heavily rewards a good sag setting. I was running 100-105 at first and it was stink bugging everywhere and I went down the rabbit...

I was running 100-105 at first and it was stink bugging everywhere and I went down the rabbit hole of messing with clickers all over the place.

I said, “I’m running a 6.3 in the back… dial it down.” So I went back to Pro Action’s base settings and to 110 in the rear. After that and taking about a half turn out on the high speed… perfection 👌

I was debating getting a linkage for it but running “excessive” sag seemed to do the trick.
It seems so strange to me that on a bike with 12 inches of travel, you use up 1/3 of it just on rider sag!
1/17/2022 5:53am
Pumped to see some positive feedback I just picked one before the New Year but being in Wisconsin going to be few more months yetSad Hopefully you guys have it all sorted out before then Smile

My plan was to ride it break it in and then see how I feel about it, I am coming off a stock 2018 CRF that I love so hopefully this can compare to that at some point.
RCMXracing
1/17/2022 10:12am
SoCalMX70 wrote:

Yeti831 wrote:
This bike heavily rewards a good sag setting. I was running 100-105 at first and it was stink bugging everywhere and I went down the rabbit...

DB505 wrote:
It seems so strange to me that on a bike with 12 inches of travel, you use up 1/3 of it just on rider sag!
Once the fork valving is sorted out won’t need or want all that sag.

For what it’s worth at 185lbs Enzo (Craig D.) kept stock spring rate. The negative traits go away once your front end is firmed up. Sag numbers: 105 is the most I’ll run, closer to 103 (with flush forks) works well at most tracks.
SoCalMX70
1/17/2022 10:30am
Looks like I'll be getting my suspension done next Monday. Taking everything off this afternoon as I won't be riding this weekend.

Any tips on shock removal? I'm just going to start taking the whole back end/subframe off and go from there, but if there is anything weird I should I know about I appreciate any comments! Took my YZ down to the frame several times, but obviously that was much more simple.

As far as sag goes, I'll start at 105 with the forks flush when everything is back together, then go from there. I prefer more stability, and even if I went 110+ sag this bike would still turn better than my old YZ!

The earlier comment on using up 1/3 of the travel for sag... Not everything is a bump and traction is important. Cool
hubbardmx50
1/17/2022 10:32am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2022 10:33am
A bike that makes you not want to get off the track, that’s literally all you need…..

Are the forks really that bad? I love the current Showa 49mm’s.
SoCalMX70
1/17/2022 11:14am
A bike that makes you not want to get off the track, that’s literally all you need….. Are the forks really that bad? I love the...
A bike that makes you not want to get off the track, that’s literally all you need…..

What I experienced, my fast buddy at the track experienced, and what several others in my circle have commented on recently... Yes the mid valving on the Honda is just plain bad. Let me put it this way, I've never felt soreness in my palms the day after riding. It was jarring.

I know that sounds dramatic though. I will reiterate that I had a blast riding the bike. I'm still just a Vet C rider, so it isn't like I demand top tier equipment. The forks are the only negative thing I have to say about the bike, and they will be fixed in short order. No engine/performance parts. Slapping some numbers on and going racing.
Yeti831
1/22/2022 10:48pm
A bike that makes you not want to get off the track, that’s literally all you need….. Are the forks really that bad? I love the...

Honestly imo:

Garbage stock valving and too soft fork springs, but good god they are amazing once to get it set up.
Huckster
1/23/2022 1:01pm
Thinking about picking up a used 21 or 22. There are a few around. Very interested to hear more. Coming off a 2018 RMZ 450 all set up. +50 Vet B rider
Yeti831
1/23/2022 5:07pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:

Yeti831 wrote:

DB505 wrote:
So I should’ve specified a few things:

When I sit to set sag, I do it slightly to the rear of the bike (because I’m taller and tend to not get center or forward unless in a turn).

If I sat center, it might be closer to 105-107. Just when I set sag, I figure why not set it for where I spend most of the time riding?

Idk if it’s “right” or not, but it’s served me great so far.
SoCalMX70
1/27/2022 11:00am
RCMXracing wrote:
Once the fork valving is sorted out won’t need or want all that sag. For what it’s worth at 185lbs Enzo (Craig D.) kept stock spring...
Once the fork valving is sorted out won’t need or want all that sag.

For what it’s worth at 185lbs Enzo (Craig D.) kept stock spring rate. The negative traits go away once your front end is firmed up. Sag numbers: 105 is the most I’ll run, closer to 103 (with flush forks) works well at most tracks.
Just a small update that relates to this comment... Talked to my suspension guy when I picked everything up last night. He kept the spring rates stock, but gave me an extra rear spring that is one size up. He basically said "I want you to try this, I got guys your size and similar speed that are loving this setup". I'm 190lbs, so this info tracks.

I can't wait to see how it feels this weekend. He noted to start at 105mm sag, but try it closer to 100mm as well and find the sweet spot.

Also of note to my earlier question on shock removal... You don't need to remove the whole back end to get it out. Take out the bottom bolts of the subframe, loosen the top bolts, take the muffler off, take the ECU cover off, and you can squeeze it out the right side.

Post a reply to: Something New For '22 (CRF450)

The Latest