Something I noticed about Short...

WhKnuckle
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 11:05pm
Andrew always seems to get a good start and does great, then he gets passed and that's the end for him. I noticed in the second moto he got out front but as soon as Windham passed him, he immediately dropped back to Dungey; when Dungey passed him, he immediately dropped back to Brayton...and so on. He doesn't seem to be able to latch on to the back fender of a guy who passed him and pick up the pace just a little, learn some lines and attack him again. I'm sure he knows it and just can't figure out what to do about it, but he has to solve that problem if he's going to get where he wants to be in the sport.
|
nwmx
9/4/2010 7:01pm
true he's always been a push over in racing and it always looks like he is afraid to take it to that extra notch
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
9/4/2010 7:05pm
He's constantly getting the start and then ending up 4th it seems. He's damn fast, a good starter and a consistant rider but that little extra keeps alluding him.

DanDunes818
9/4/2010 7:06pm
I agree with what you both are saying but I saw on the alli sports pre show that he's nursing a injury of some kind. Hopefully he can step it up w/the weight of a nation on him in Colorado.
fader418
9/4/2010 7:07pm
Well he did crash a few times last weekend. I thought I heard he had a broken toe? Also he didn't ride all week except for press day....

The Shop

WhKnuckle
9/4/2010 7:09pm
nwmx wrote:
true he's always been a push over in racing and it always looks like he is afraid to take it to that extra notch
I don't know about pushover, but racers on his level put in surges during races, and Andrew never seems to get passed and surge right then so he can hang with the guy - instead, he seems to relax a little and it's not half a lap before he has another guy right behind him, then he fights until he gets passed again, and once again drops right back to the next guy. He has to figure out how to surge when he gets passed, stick to that guy like grim death, and try to stick a wheel under him somewhere. Otherwise, he just keeps fighting behind himself all the time.

Yeah, I know he's aware of it, Andrew is a smart guy, but he's gotta fix it or he's not going to get where he wants to be.
Knobbyjake
9/4/2010 7:10pm
I think he's surely the weak link on the Des Nations team. He just doesn't have the killer instinct or drive to come back at someone .I know he is consistent but the choice of him for the team has me worried. Maybe he'll find that missing ingredient against the rest of the world.
WhKnuckle
9/4/2010 7:16pm
Knobbyjake wrote:
I think he's surely the weak link on the Des Nations team. He just doesn't have the killer instinct or drive to come back at someone...
I think he's surely the weak link on the Des Nations team. He just doesn't have the killer instinct or drive to come back at someone .I know he is consistent but the choice of him for the team has me worried. Maybe he'll find that missing ingredient against the rest of the world.
Yeah, but motocross is a strange sport in that you see the top two or three guys and they look so much better than the other top ten riders that the other guys don't even look like they're trying. They're trying hard, they just aren't quite in sync like the best of the best are. But in the Des Nations. the other teams' second-best riders will be in the MX3 class, and Andrew should be able to handle them. This is more a strategy and race discipline thing, but he's going to continue to be frustrated until he figures it out. He needs to put in the fastest laps of the day after he gets passed, make it a mission from God to pass 'em back.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
9/4/2010 7:18pm
Knobbyjake wrote:
I think he's surely the weak link on the Des Nations team. He just doesn't have the killer instinct or drive to come back at someone...
I just don't agree with this. You've got Canard and Dungey who should be around the top of their classes easily and then Short who has a home track advantage in mx3 which is the usually the class with the least depth. I think he'll do as well as Tedesco has in the past and US will get the win no problem.
drummer dude
9/4/2010 7:23pm
I like shorty,but i think his days in the sun are done..just my opinion..
dehner47
9/9/2010 7:57am
nwmx wrote:
i do agree with that statement. but it funny how he was voted dirtiest rider by the riders. think it was in transworld or racerx or something. i dont see him a a dirty rider at all.. funny how we dont see somethings that the guys on the track see.. hmmmmm..
DownSouth
9/9/2010 8:07am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2010 8:08am
Shorts last healthy race he went 2-2 at Washougal. Before Unadilla be broke a toe and was not able to ride and do his normal preperation prior to the event. At Southwick he had the qualifying problem and last gate pick, locked bars with Townley and crashed hard in moto 1. Moto 2 he tangled with another rider and got body slammed 40 feet out of the gate. Admittadly he was banged up at Steel City and did not get to ride again during the week leading up to the race. Going 4-5 for 4th overall under those conditions is not so bad. He will be fine for the MXDN.
9/9/2010 8:12am
nwmx wrote:
dehner47 wrote:
i do agree with that statement. but it funny how he was voted dirtiest rider by the riders. think it was in transworld or racerx or...
i do agree with that statement. but it funny how he was voted dirtiest rider by the riders. think it was in transworld or racerx or something. i dont see him a a dirty rider at all.. funny how we dont see somethings that the guys on the track see.. hmmmmm..
I think they used to refer to him and Hepler as smiling assassins.
9/9/2010 8:16am
A pushover? Two years ago people called him a dirty rider for aggressive passing and now he's a pushover? How far the pendulum swung.

Shorty should have a spot on any race team due to his attitude, accessibility to the fans, and test riding (the only guy that could figure out the 09 Honda).

The guy is going to be banging bars at MXdN, and I'd be rubbing it in WhKnuckle, nwmx, and Knobbyjake's faces.
Cygnus
9/9/2010 8:20am
Ramrod wrote:
I just don't agree with this. You've got Canard and Dungey who should be around the top of their classes easily and then Short who has...
I just don't agree with this. You've got Canard and Dungey who should be around the top of their classes easily and then Short who has a home track advantage in mx3 which is the usually the class with the least depth. I think he'll do as well as Tedesco has in the past and US will get the win no problem.
Lakewood is not Andrews home track. Home state sure, home track not.
9/9/2010 8:21am
Something I noticed Always a Bridesmaid never a Bride.
sdrider16
9/9/2010 8:28am
Wow, from what I am reading here you would think he was like 20th in points.
gt80rider
9/9/2010 8:35am
WhKnuckle wrote:
Andrew always seems to get a good start and does great, then he gets passed and that's the end for him. I noticed in the second...
Andrew always seems to get a good start and does great, then he gets passed and that's the end for him. I noticed in the second moto he got out front but as soon as Windham passed him, he immediately dropped back to Dungey; when Dungey passed him, he immediately dropped back to Brayton...and so on. He doesn't seem to be able to latch on to the back fender of a guy who passed him and pick up the pace just a little, learn some lines and attack him again. I'm sure he knows it and just can't figure out what to do about it, but he has to solve that problem if he's going to get where he wants to be in the sport.
if he was flat broke and living out of a cardboard box and eating old shoes for supper i bet he could keep on the back fender of those guys...... just say'n......
plowboy
9/9/2010 10:14am
A broken toe only sounds funny. The first time you slam your heel down and your toe gets a jolt...."That'll wake you up in the mornin' boy".
KAWboy14
9/9/2010 3:50pm
it seems like when he is out front, he is riding over his head and then falls back to where he should be!
Chris_ONeal
9/9/2010 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2010 4:24pm
There has been plenty of races this year that he went for it and passed Dungey back. To say that he is a push over isn't fair. He tries his hardest and does ride on the edge at times. His fastest just isn't as fast as Dungey's. There is a reason he is healthy every season and consistently in the top 5! How many races has Stewart raced this year?? Some people ride on the edge, Grant, Stewart and Villopoto are prime examples. Where are they now??

He is a smart rider and doesn't take stupid chances. You can't have good results if you have no results at all!
oldAFI
9/9/2010 4:49pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
Andrew always seems to get a good start and does great, then he gets passed and that's the end for him. I noticed in the second...
gt80rider wrote:
if he was flat broke and living out of a cardboard box and eating old shoes for supper i bet he could keep on the back...
if he was flat broke and living out of a cardboard box and eating old shoes for supper i bet he could keep on the back fender of those guys...... just say'n......
True, but if he rode like that then he'd get injured more often....just say'n.....

Post a reply to: Something I noticed about Short...

The Latest