Fantasy
2109th
8/12/2017 3:13am
Power, all that torque....
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
8/12/2017 4:51am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2017 4:52am
These guys are double back flipping 450...and guys on here claim the weight of the new '18 Yamaha is going to slow them down..Cool
bvm111
8/12/2017 6:16am
People still free style?

Huh... who woulda thunk it?
JM485
8/12/2017 7:25am
bvm111 wrote:
People still free style?

Yes, we get it, you're super cool because you ride track bro. Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track, so I don't get the disrespect by all the "racers" with their head stuck in their ass.

The Shop

twotwosix
8/12/2017 7:52am
A few reasons...

1. Fuel Injection (and now E-start)
2. Manufacturer or Dealer support
3. Model availability. (say they take some suspension, bars, levers and plastic over to a comp in Europe and the promoter provides a bike)
4. Torque and Traction
5. Maintenance. Yes, maintenance. Believe it or not, 4-strokes are easier to maintain when you aren't racing the piss out of them. Those guys just have to change oil and filters and do valve checks for the most part in the first 75 hours.
Motoxdoc
8/12/2017 7:53am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2017 7:53am
bvm111 wrote:
People still free style?

JM485 wrote:
Yes, we get it, you're super cool because you ride track bro. Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on...
Yes, we get it, you're super cool because you ride track bro. Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track, so I don't get the disrespect by all the "racers" with their head stuck in their ass.
"Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track" LaughingLaughingLaughing

Jump back in bed....roll to the other side.....get out of bed.
JM485
8/12/2017 8:17am
Motoxdoc wrote:
"Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track" :laugh::laugh::laugh: Jump back in bed....roll to the other side.....get out...
"Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track" LaughingLaughingLaughing

Want to bet?

Come on, there's no way some of you guys are so stuck on yourselves that you honestly think you're a better rider than guys like Levi Sherwood, Jared McNeal, etc. . .
kott0n
Fantasy
3717th
8/12/2017 8:21am
Motoxdoc wrote:
"Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track" :laugh::laugh::laugh: Jump back in bed....roll to the other side.....get out...

JM485 wrote:
Want to bet? Come on, there's no way some of you guys are so stuck on yourselves that you honestly think you're a better rider than...
Want to bet?

Come on, there's no way some of you guys are so stuck on yourselves that you honestly think you're a better rider than guys like Levi Sherwood, Jared McNeal, etc. . .
I agree with you.

If you think these guys can't carry speed around a track, you are delusional.
Titan1
8/12/2017 8:32am
Motoxdoc wrote:

JM485 wrote:
Want to bet? Come on, there's no way some of you guys are so stuck on yourselves that you honestly think you're a better rider than...
Want to bet?

You can't compare "pro" freestyle guys to weekend warrior racers.

Your average Weekend warrior freestyle guy can't, generally speaking, get around a track faster than your average weekend warrior racer.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
8/12/2017 8:35am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2017 8:37am
Motoxdoc wrote:

JM485 wrote:
Want to bet?

Titan1 wrote:
You can't compare "pro" freestyle guys to weekend warrior racers. Your average Weekend warrior freestyle guy can't, generally speaking, get around a track faster than your...

Your average Weekend warrior freestyle guy can't, generally speaking, get around a track faster than your average weekend warrior racer.
You can when the weekend worrior is putting them down like they could actually beat them around a track as jm mentioned.

A lot of 450s in fmx but then you have sherwood and pages lightening their 2 strokes in order to do some gnarly shit.
Titan1
8/12/2017 8:43am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2017 8:43am
JM485 wrote:
Want to bet?

Titan1 wrote:
You can't compare "pro" freestyle guys to weekend warrior racers. Your average Weekend warrior freestyle guy can't, generally speaking, get around a track faster than your...

seth505 wrote:
You can when the weekend worrior is putting them down like they could actually beat them around a track as jm mentioned. A lot of 450s...
You can when the weekend worrior is putting them down like they could actually beat them around a track as jm mentioned.

A lot of 450s in fmx but then you have sherwood and pages lightening their 2 strokes in order to do some gnarly shit.
Where did someone say Sherwood, McNiel, etc couldn't ride a track, or that they could beat them around a track? I just read the thread again and still didn't see it.

Someone asked if people still do free style...nobody said anything about anyone track skills.

Look, some people think freestyle is lame, some people like it. Difference of opinion. Thinking freestyle is lame doesn't equal saying those that ride it can't ride a track.
F.B
8/12/2017 8:44am
bvm111 wrote:
People still free style?

JM485 wrote:
Yes, we get it, you're super cool because you ride track bro. Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on...
You can say that about some freestyle guys but most of them? Yeah no fer sure but no.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
8/12/2017 8:48am
Titan1 wrote:

seth505 wrote:
You can when the weekend worrior is putting them down like they could actually beat them around a track as jm mentioned. A lot of 450s...

Titan1 wrote:
Where did someone say Sherwood, McNiel, etc couldn't ride a track, or that they could beat them around a track? I just read the thread again...
Where did someone say Sherwood, McNiel, etc couldn't ride a track, or that they could beat them around a track? I just read the thread again and still didn't see it.

Someone asked if people still do free style...nobody said anything about anyone track skills.

Look, some people think freestyle is lame, some people like it. Difference of opinion. Thinking freestyle is lame doesn't equal saying those that ride it can't ride a track.
Thumbs up
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
8/12/2017 9:10am
They perform/practice with short run ups to ramps thus power/torque, they have minimized the gyro effects in the 4 strokes now, they now dance in the air similiar to two strokes now and weight is getting alot closer to a two stroke. The flips actual require blip of power of the lip so works good for that as well.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
8/12/2017 10:24am
I remember when a Nac Nac was considered a crazy trick, now with all the stuff these guys can do its amazing.
bvm111
8/12/2017 11:52am
bvm111 wrote:
People still free style?

JM485 wrote:
Wow... sensitive much?

Where was the disrespect in my post, just curious?

That being said, I stand by my statement slash question, people still freestyle? Is that still a thing?

You are right I totally suck even though you don't know me or have ever ridden with me, and all those guys would smoke my ass, unless you are talking TP, Degeen and his boy, twitch and a few others at the top then I would disagree ... im old but can hold my own still even if for a limited time.

Much thanks any way!
MX Guy
Fantasy
773rd
8/12/2017 1:14pm
Motoxdoc wrote:

JM485 wrote:
Want to bet?

kott0n wrote:
I agree with you.

If you think these guys can't carry speed around a track, you are delusional.
BRO I saw Jarryd McNeil at milestone back in the day ripping a "weallride" kawi 450 and he was insanely fast.
JM485
8/12/2017 1:27pm
bvm111 wrote:
People still free style?

JM485 wrote:
bvm111 wrote:
Wow... sensitive much? Where was the disrespect in my post, just curious? That being said, I stand by my statement slash question, people still freestyle? Is...
Wow... sensitive much?

Where was the disrespect in my post, just curious?

That being said, I stand by my statement slash question, people still freestyle? Is that still a thing?

You are right I totally suck even though you don't know me or have ever ridden with me, and all those guys would smoke my ass, unless you are talking TP, Degeen and his boy, twitch and a few others at the top then I would disagree ... im old but can hold my own still even if for a limited time.

Much thanks any way!
Chill out brother, I'm not gonna play the stupid game, you know damn well people still ride freestyle and you were just being a smart ass, I get it. I guess I'm just curious why guys on here have such a dislike for people just because they don't ride a track. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one man, because I'll absolutely stand by my statement that most of the top freestyle guys would absolutely smoke 90% of this board. It's really just about having a respect for different types of riding, freestyle is pretty much the only kind I don't do, so I have the utmost respect for every one of those guys.

Much ty.
305FC250
8/12/2017 4:05pm
I don't follow freestyle very much but all the recent videos I come across on social media feature predominately 250 two strokes....
8/12/2017 5:06pm
At the 01 X Games Pastrana rode his RM125 and had to start outside the course to make one of the jumps (I think it was 100ft or so). Given the small stadiums they ride in, a 450 or 250T is the way to go. I doubt the weight difference is enough to compensate for the extra 25 HP they might get nowadays.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
8/12/2017 5:53pm
i know Levi Sherwood got the weight down on his 250SX alot with carbon and Ti parts,
Gravel
8/12/2017 6:02pm
They ride 450s because their sponsors sell 450s... no other reason..
JustMX
8/12/2017 8:10pm
Non moto....

Don't care if they can still ride on a track....

Posting shit about "free style" (please for the love of god call it anything besides) motocross is about as relevant as bowling is to actual motocross.

Hell, bowling has more in common with motocross because like motocross RACING, it takes big balls.
doofy
8/12/2017 8:16pm
I didnt read thru all the arguing about whos better at what BUT

I imagine the torque of a 450 would be a huge assist in flipping, plus as previously mentioned much better traction.

I remember hearing alot of freestyle guys bitch about having to rejet their 2t and still have em bogging and running poorly esp a series like the x fighters when they were doing shows all over the globe at diff sea levels
8/12/2017 8:31pm
Pastrana rides two strokes. That's all that matters. I heard he would remove the disk off his front wheel because it affected his rotation.
MX_Andrew83
8/12/2017 8:54pm
JustMX wrote:
Non moto.... Don't care if they can still ride on a track.... Posting shit about "free style" (please for the love of god call it anything...
Non moto....

Posting shit about "free style" (please for the love of god call it anything besides) motocross is about as relevant as bowling is to actual motocross.

Hell, bowling has more in common with motocross because like motocross RACING, it takes big balls.
Nice try, but like it or not the Freestyle movement that took place in the late 90's and early 2000 brought a lot of money to "Motocross" and if you don't think double flipping a 450 takes "big balls" you're wrong.

Moto331
8/13/2017 12:32am
JustMX wrote:
Non moto.... Don't care if they can still ride on a track.... Posting shit about "free style" (please for the love of god call it anything...
Non moto....

Okay dick. Why don't you get off your high horse. Who the fuck do you think you are?
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
8/13/2017 12:41am
JustMX wrote:
Non moto....

Obviously someone with a freestyle bike stole your girl, you sound mad.
Jharper
8/13/2017 4:50am Edited Date/Time 8/13/2017 4:52am
Gravel wrote:
They ride 450s because their sponsors sell 450s... no other reason..
Not exactly accurate. A lot of guys made the switch to easier deal with tight arenas. 30 feet of run of for a 75 foot gap is a bit sketchy on a smoker that's carburated.

That and going overseas to find a clapped out smoker to ride. At least the guys that switched were always on updated bikes.
wacker
8/13/2017 7:09am
Well, I figured I would chime in here since this is my area of expertise. I have been riding freestyle professionally for 15 years now and I currently switch full time between both bikes.

As for freestyle guys getting around a track, "most" pros are better than you would expect. I can't speak for any weekend warriors, because I personally don't know any. Almost all FMX guys grew up racing at a pretty high amateur level, and some even local, or really good pros. Myself, I was a decent B guy who could have became a really shitty local pro and if I worked really hard, probably could of at least made a 40 man gate, but unfortunately being a 17 year old kid with no money and a strong BMX dirt jumping background......FMX paychecks took over. Plus the freedom and money from FMX allowed me to race and ride tracks far more than ever before. I recently got 3rd overall at the 2-Stroke world championships at Glen Helen in 30+ Pro, so I am not doing too bad (on my 125).

With that out of the way, 2-Stroke vs 4-Stroke.

I hated 4 Strokes. Said I would never ride one.

Then in 2010 I bought a YZ450F because they looked crazy and I wanted a bike to hit the tracks and trails since I was destroying my 125 all the time. I loved it. I hit the ramps on it for shits and giggles, did all my tricks, flipped it and never looked back. There really isn't a reason to ride a 450 since the 250 2-stroke is almost the perfect bike for FMX, but they do have newer technology, handle great, and overall, are much easier to ride.

450 Pros:
- power, too much is never a bad thing on tight run-ups and courses.
- fuel injection. no explanation needed.
- they handle better in the air. I can whip my KXF far, far better than my YZ250, why? I have no idea. You don't feel the weight of the bike as much as you would think when you are literally floating. Also, I think the overall handling, balance and geometry of the bikes has had to improve somewhat in the last 12 years since the latest-gen YZ...
- no premix. no race gas. Running easy to find pump gas and having the thing run solid is very nice.

Cons:
- engine breaking. Number one worst thing. This is what makes me choose the 2-stroke over the 4 for FMX. In the air, it is constantly moving. The front end dips almost no matter what you do. You can compensate and get used to it, but it happens. I don't really like it. You can put a 250 where you want and it just stays. Every FMXer I have talked to struggles with certain tricks in this aspect after switching since you almost have to re-learn everything.
- weight. Yeah, you don't notice it much but certain tricks where you are pulling a bike back under you that is 25 lbs heavier is noticeable.
- travel. It used to be that when I started riding 4-Strokes, if you are going to say Asia, or South America finding the exotic YZ450 was impossible. I kept a set of YZ250 suspension and would switch back during this period for this reason since there is almost always an abundance of these bikes wherever you go. Nowadays, it is almost a pro, since finding a decent 4 stroke is usually easier since 2-Strokes are slowly getting weeded out or you find a clapped out 06. A clapped out 2013-14 KXF is probably going to be better to jump than a 06 YZ250 in Mexico or China....

So, it basically comes down to personal preference. I rode 4-Strokes almost entirely until last year when I built a YZ250 to go to China to do shows for 2 months. After riding it, I liked it better than the 450 and decided to stick with it. Immediately after I ended up going to China to ride a 16 KXF for 2 months. I got back and still liked my YZ better. They flip the same depending on your flip style. I ride whatever depending on where I am going and what they have available. I have a full FMX setup (GPR Stabilizer, Airbox, Seat, Suspension) for 2013-15 KXF, 16-18 KXF, and my current YZ250. Takes a little adjusting but thats the way I have always done it.

Post a reply to: Someone explain something about freestyle guys

The Latest