Someone explain something about freestyle guys

Related:
Create New Tag

8/12/2017 2:46 AM

And using 450s. Those bad boys are so much heavier, you would think they would be flipping 125s. I've always wondered that so decided to ask on here. Watched Justin Holman of the MEtal Mulisha do a show tonight in Coeur d Alene ID and him n his buddy were flipping 450s.

|

8/12/2017 3:13 AM

Power, all that torque....

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/



8/12/2017 4:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2017 4:52 AM

These guys are double back flipping 450...and guys on here claim the weight of the new '18 Yamaha is going to slow them down..cool

|

8/12/2017 6:16 AM

People still free style?

Huh... who woulda thunk it?

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

8/12/2017 7:25 AM

bvm111 wrote:

People still free style?

Huh... who woulda thunk it?

Yes, we get it, you're super cool because you ride track bro. Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track, so I don't get the disrespect by all the "racers" with their head stuck in their ass.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



8/12/2017 7:52 AM

A few reasons...

1. Fuel Injection (and now E-start)
2. Manufacturer or Dealer support
3. Model availability. (say they take some suspension, bars, levers and plastic over to a comp in Europe and the promoter provides a bike)
4. Torque and Traction
5. Maintenance. Yes, maintenance. Believe it or not, 4-strokes are easier to maintain when you aren't racing the piss out of them. Those guys just have to change oil and filters and do valve checks for the most part in the first 75 hours.

|

8/12/2017 7:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2017 7:53 AM

bvm111 wrote:

People still free style?

Huh... who woulda thunk it?

JM485 wrote:

Yes, we get it, you're super cool because you ride track bro. Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track, so I don't get the disrespect by all the "racers" with their head stuck in their ass.

"Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track" laughinglaughinglaughing

Jump back in bed....roll to the other side.....get out of bed.

|

8/12/2017 8:17 AM

Motoxdoc wrote:

"Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track" laughinglaughinglaughing

Jump back in bed....roll to the other side.....get out of bed.

Want to bet?

Come on, there's no way some of you guys are so stuck on yourselves that you honestly think you're a better rider than guys like Levi Sherwood, Jared McNeal, etc. . .

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



8/12/2017 8:21 AM

JM485 wrote:

Yes, we get it, you're super cool because you ride track bro. Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track, so I don't get the disrespect by all the "racers" with their head stuck in their ass.

Motoxdoc wrote:

"Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track" laughinglaughinglaughing

Jump back in bed....roll to the other side.....get out of bed.

JM485 wrote:

Want to bet?

Come on, there's no way some of you guys are so stuck on yourselves that you honestly think you're a better rider than guys like Levi Sherwood, Jared McNeal, etc. . .

I agree with you.

If you think these guys can't carry speed around a track, you are delusional.

|

8/12/2017 8:32 AM

JM485 wrote:

Yes, we get it, you're super cool because you ride track bro. Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track, so I don't get the disrespect by all the "racers" with their head stuck in their ass.

Motoxdoc wrote:

"Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track" laughinglaughinglaughing

Jump back in bed....roll to the other side.....get out of bed.

JM485 wrote:

Want to bet?

Come on, there's no way some of you guys are so stuck on yourselves that you honestly think you're a better rider than guys like Levi Sherwood, Jared McNeal, etc. . .

You can't compare "pro" freestyle guys to weekend warrior racers.

Your average Weekend warrior freestyle guy can't, generally speaking, get around a track faster than your average weekend warrior racer.

|

8/12/2017 8:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2017 8:37 AM

Motoxdoc wrote:

"Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track" laughinglaughinglaughing

Jump back in bed....roll to the other side.....get out of bed.

JM485 wrote:

Want to bet?

Come on, there's no way some of you guys are so stuck on yourselves that you honestly think you're a better rider than guys like Levi Sherwood, Jared McNeal, etc. . .

Titan1 wrote:

You can't compare "pro" freestyle guys to weekend warrior racers.

Your average Weekend warrior freestyle guy can't, generally speaking, get around a track faster than your average weekend warrior racer.

You can when the weekend worrior is putting them down like they could actually beat them around a track as jm mentioned.

A lot of 450s in fmx but then you have sherwood and pages lightening their 2 strokes in order to do some gnarly shit.

|

8/12/2017 8:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2017 8:43 AM

JM485 wrote:

Want to bet?

Come on, there's no way some of you guys are so stuck on yourselves that you honestly think you're a better rider than guys like Levi Sherwood, Jared McNeal, etc. . .

Titan1 wrote:

You can't compare "pro" freestyle guys to weekend warrior racers.

Your average Weekend warrior freestyle guy can't, generally speaking, get around a track faster than your average weekend warrior racer.

seth505 wrote:

You can when the weekend worrior is putting them down like they could actually beat them around a track as jm mentioned.

A lot of 450s in fmx but then you have sherwood and pages lightening their 2 strokes in order to do some gnarly shit.

Where did someone say Sherwood, McNiel, etc couldn't ride a track, or that they could beat them around a track? I just read the thread again and still didn't see it.

Someone asked if people still do free style...nobody said anything about anyone track skills.

Look, some people think freestyle is lame, some people like it. Difference of opinion. Thinking freestyle is lame doesn't equal saying those that ride it can't ride a track.

|

8/12/2017 8:44 AM

bvm111 wrote:

People still free style?

Huh... who woulda thunk it?

JM485 wrote:

Yes, we get it, you're super cool because you ride track bro. Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track, so I don't get the disrespect by all the "racers" with their head stuck in their ass.

You can say that about some freestyle guys but most of them? Yeah no fer sure but no.

|

8/12/2017 8:48 AM

Titan1 wrote:

You can't compare "pro" freestyle guys to weekend warrior racers.

Your average Weekend warrior freestyle guy can't, generally speaking, get around a track faster than your average weekend warrior racer.

seth505 wrote:

You can when the weekend worrior is putting them down like they could actually beat them around a track as jm mentioned.

A lot of 450s in fmx but then you have sherwood and pages lightening their 2 strokes in order to do some gnarly shit.

Titan1 wrote:

Where did someone say Sherwood, McNiel, etc couldn't ride a track, or that they could beat them around a track? I just read the thread again and still didn't see it.

Someone asked if people still do free style...nobody said anything about anyone track skills.

Look, some people think freestyle is lame, some people like it. Difference of opinion. Thinking freestyle is lame doesn't equal saying those that ride it can't ride a track.

Thumbs up

|

8/12/2017 9:10 AM

They perform/practice with short run ups to ramps thus power/torque, they have minimized the gyro effects in the 4 strokes now, they now dance in the air similiar to two strokes now and weight is getting alot closer to a two stroke. The flips actual require blip of power of the lip so works good for that as well.

|

8/12/2017 10:24 AM

I remember when a Nac Nac was considered a crazy trick, now with all the stuff these guys can do its amazing.

|

Ed Johnson

8/12/2017 11:52 AM

bvm111 wrote:

People still free style?

Huh... who woulda thunk it?

JM485 wrote:

Yes, we get it, you're super cool because you ride track bro. Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track, so I don't get the disrespect by all the "racers" with their head stuck in their ass.

Wow... sensitive much?

Where was the disrespect in my post, just curious?

That being said, I stand by my statement slash question, people still freestyle? Is that still a thing?

You are right I totally suck even though you don't know me or have ever ridden with me, and all those guys would smoke my ass, unless you are talking TP, Degeen and his boy, twitch and a few others at the top then I would disagree ... im old but can hold my own still even if for a limited time.

Much thanks any way!

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

8/12/2017 1:14 PM

Motoxdoc wrote:

"Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track" laughinglaughinglaughing

Jump back in bed....roll to the other side.....get out of bed.

JM485 wrote:

Want to bet?

Come on, there's no way some of you guys are so stuck on yourselves that you honestly think you're a better rider than guys like Levi Sherwood, Jared McNeal, etc. . .

kott0n wrote:

I agree with you.

If you think these guys can't carry speed around a track, you are delusional.

BRO I saw Jarryd McNeil at milestone back in the day ripping a "weallride" kawi 450 and he was insanely fast.

|



8/12/2017 1:27 PM

bvm111 wrote:

People still free style?

Huh... who woulda thunk it?

JM485 wrote:

Yes, we get it, you're super cool because you ride track bro. Most of the freestyle guys would spank damn near anyone on this board on a track, so I don't get the disrespect by all the "racers" with their head stuck in their ass.

bvm111 wrote:

Wow... sensitive much?

Where was the disrespect in my post, just curious?

That being said, I stand by my statement slash question, people still freestyle? Is that still a thing?

You are right I totally suck even though you don't know me or have ever ridden with me, and all those guys would smoke my ass, unless you are talking TP, Degeen and his boy, twitch and a few others at the top then I would disagree ... im old but can hold my own still even if for a limited time.

Much thanks any way!

Chill out brother, I'm not gonna play the stupid game, you know damn well people still ride freestyle and you were just being a smart ass, I get it. I guess I'm just curious why guys on here have such a dislike for people just because they don't ride a track. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one man, because I'll absolutely stand by my statement that most of the top freestyle guys would absolutely smoke 90% of this board. It's really just about having a respect for different types of riding, freestyle is pretty much the only kind I don't do, so I have the utmost respect for every one of those guys.

Much ty.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



8/12/2017 4:05 PM

I don't follow freestyle very much but all the recent videos I come across on social media feature predominately 250 two strokes....

|

8/12/2017 5:06 PM

At the 01 X Games Pastrana rode his RM125 and had to start outside the course to make one of the jumps (I think it was 100ft or so). Given the small stadiums they ride in, a 450 or 250T is the way to go. I doubt the weight difference is enough to compensate for the extra 25 HP they might get nowadays.

|

8/12/2017 5:53 PM

i know Levi Sherwood got the weight down on his 250SX alot with carbon and Ti parts,

|

8/12/2017 6:02 PM

They ride 450s because their sponsors sell 450s... no other reason..

|

8/12/2017 8:10 PM

Non moto....

Don't care if they can still ride on a track....

Posting shit about "free style" (please for the love of god call it anything besides) motocross is about as relevant as bowling is to actual motocross.

Hell, bowling has more in common with motocross because like motocross RACING, it takes big balls.

|

8/12/2017 8:16 PM

I didnt read thru all the arguing about whos better at what BUT

I imagine the torque of a 450 would be a huge assist in flipping, plus as previously mentioned much better traction.

I remember hearing alot of freestyle guys bitch about having to rejet their 2t and still have em bogging and running poorly esp a series like the x fighters when they were doing shows all over the globe at diff sea levels

|

8/12/2017 8:31 PM

Pastrana rides two strokes. That's all that matters. I heard he would remove the disk off his front wheel because it affected his rotation.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

8/12/2017 8:54 PM

JustMX wrote:

Non moto....

Don't care if they can still ride on a track....

Posting shit about "free style" (please for the love of god call it anything besides) motocross is about as relevant as bowling is to actual motocross.

Hell, bowling has more in common with motocross because like motocross RACING, it takes big balls.

Nice try, but like it or not the Freestyle movement that took place in the late 90's and early 2000 brought a lot of money to "Motocross" and if you don't think double flipping a 450 takes "big balls" you're wrong.

|

Epstein Barr is a form of the Herpes Virus.

8/13/2017 12:32 AM

JustMX wrote:

Non moto....

Don't care if they can still ride on a track....

Posting shit about "free style" (please for the love of god call it anything besides) motocross is about as relevant as bowling is to actual motocross.

Hell, bowling has more in common with motocross because like motocross RACING, it takes big balls.

Okay dick. Why don't you get off your high horse. Who the fuck do you think you are?

|

8/13/2017 12:41 AM

JustMX wrote:

Non moto....

Don't care if they can still ride on a track....

Posting shit about "free style" (please for the love of god call it anything besides) motocross is about as relevant as bowling is to actual motocross.

Hell, bowling has more in common with motocross because like motocross RACING, it takes big balls.

Obviously someone with a freestyle bike stole your girl, you sound mad.

|

8/13/2017 4:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2017 4:52 AM

Gravel wrote:

They ride 450s because their sponsors sell 450s... no other reason..

Not exactly accurate. A lot of guys made the switch to easier deal with tight arenas. 30 feet of run of for a 75 foot gap is a bit sketchy on a smoker that's carburated.

That and going overseas to find a clapped out smoker to ride. At least the guys that switched were always on updated bikes.

|

2020 Make Leftists Cry Again