Someone call 911, is Suzuki still alive?

Johnnygunn
Edited Date/Time 9/8/2022 8:26pm
Cliff notes: current generation rmz 250 or 450 and why!? (Details to follow) All comments are welcome.. no pussies allowed.

I have owned and ridden many hours on 4 major brands and even an ATK in the past 23 years. I have always liked the way suzukis looked, but I've never owned one. Majority of yellow owners have good things to say about their bike. Call me crazy (or ignorant), but I'm thinking about trying one!

One, they're cheaper to buy and I have heard cheap to own and maintain. Two, I haven't had one and before they scrap the mx division, I'd like to have at least tried it. Three, I tend to like different and I don't see many of them at the track these days. So, tell me why I should buy one or tell me why I shouldn't!

Also, 250 or 450? As an adult I have ridden 250 2s, 450s, and a 350 most recently. Man that 350 motor is PERFECT. Which leads me to believe I'd have a lot of fun on a powerful 250. However, power isn't part of an rmz 250s game I read and hear. Would the 450 give me arm pump like all the others do (because I've never once gotten arm pump on the 350 in 70 hours)? Would the 250 require too much effort to just ride and enjoy myself?

All that being said, I'm 6'3", 210lb, midpack B guy locally on a good day, I try my best to ride with good technique and I am damn sure not a revver. I ride mx maybe twice a month and flowing trails 1-2x a month. Weekend warrior mostly, don't race too often.
|
R VanKamp77
9/8/2022 7:14am
Well the RM-Z450 makes ~54 HP, just like the Austrian 350s. So if you liked that, then i'd look into the 450 more.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
9/8/2022 7:18am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2022 7:21am
Johnnygunn wrote:
Cliff notes: current generation rmz 250 or 450 and why!? (Details to follow) All comments are welcome.. no pussies allowed. I have owned and ridden many...
Cliff notes: current generation rmz 250 or 450 and why!? (Details to follow) All comments are welcome.. no pussies allowed.

I have owned and ridden many hours on 4 major brands and even an ATK in the past 23 years. I have always liked the way suzukis looked, but I've never owned one. Majority of yellow owners have good things to say about their bike. Call me crazy (or ignorant), but I'm thinking about trying one!

One, they're cheaper to buy and I have heard cheap to own and maintain. Two, I haven't had one and before they scrap the mx division, I'd like to have at least tried it. Three, I tend to like different and I don't see many of them at the track these days. So, tell me why I should buy one or tell me why I shouldn't!

Also, 250 or 450? As an adult I have ridden 250 2s, 450s, and a 350 most recently. Man that 350 motor is PERFECT. Which leads me to believe I'd have a lot of fun on a powerful 250. However, power isn't part of an rmz 250s game I read and hear. Would the 450 give me arm pump like all the others do (because I've never once gotten arm pump on the 350 in 70 hours)? Would the 250 require too much effort to just ride and enjoy myself?

All that being said, I'm 6'3", 210lb, midpack B guy locally on a good day, I try my best to ride with good technique and I am damn sure not a revver. I ride mx maybe twice a month and flowing trails 1-2x a month. Weekend warrior mostly, don't race too often.
My limited experience is this: I bought a 2019 used RMZ 250 with like 12 hours on it this Spring since it was like $3,500 less than a new Yamaha. The bike seems fine, I don't have much time on another bike and I haven't ridden a full size bike in over 10 years so I have no recent experience to go off of, so in my case the bike is fine.

We rode as a group of guys the last weekend in July and I rode my brothers 2021 KX 250F and I felt better riding the Kawi in the 2 laps I rode the bike compared to my Suzuki, it just fit me better for some reason. My dad bought a brand new 2023 CRF 250R so I am curious to compare all 3. We were going to do that last weekend but my mom's sister tragically passed away so we weren't able to ride.

I am curious to ride all 3 bikes for maybe 20-30 minutes at a time to see what I think. If I like one of the other bikes much more I may sell the Suzuki, the biggest problem is re-sale value likely won't be great. I wanted a Yamaha and would still consider one since they are generally regarded as the best bike.

The other option is put 42 mm forks springs on it and get the TwinAir PowerFlow kit and see how things go there. For riding an RMZ is fine. Racing, I think it depends on how competitive you want to be, but even then an RMZ can be competitive, that said other bikes may suit you better. The other concern is lack of aftermarket parts for the Suzuki.

The Shop

Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
9/8/2022 7:46am
Good grief....do people read the active threads before posting.

Suzuki RMZs....plenty more than enough bike for the majority of people on this board/in this sport.

...but keep buying those other more expensive, "faster" bikes. Self delusion is a great marketing tool.

Johnnygunn
9/8/2022 8:17am
Lol yall who bitch about reoccurring topics make me smile and happy. That's all it takes to chap your ass? Wouldn't last a shift at the firehouse..
And yes, pure laziness. As if I didn't already search "rmz 250. Rmz 450. 250 vs 450, 2019+" etc and got 24 pages about 2008 models.. I have specific questions that I haven't had answered in reading 20 threads.. thanks for the informative replies though lol more!
TeamGreen
9/8/2022 8:34am
An RMZ450 is a very inexpensive option for a good dependable track bike.

Been there
Done that
MXer391
9/8/2022 8:35am
Sandusky26 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/09/08/567539/s1200_1662587185654.jpg[/img]

I guess they don't call you Sandy for nothing...
Alex814
9/8/2022 8:41am
mx 219 wrote:
My limited experience is this: I bought a 2019 used RMZ 250 with like 12 hours on it this Spring since it was like $3,500 less...
My limited experience is this: I bought a 2019 used RMZ 250 with like 12 hours on it this Spring since it was like $3,500 less than a new Yamaha. The bike seems fine, I don't have much time on another bike and I haven't ridden a full size bike in over 10 years so I have no recent experience to go off of, so in my case the bike is fine.

We rode as a group of guys the last weekend in July and I rode my brothers 2021 KX 250F and I felt better riding the Kawi in the 2 laps I rode the bike compared to my Suzuki, it just fit me better for some reason. My dad bought a brand new 2023 CRF 250R so I am curious to compare all 3. We were going to do that last weekend but my mom's sister tragically passed away so we weren't able to ride.

I am curious to ride all 3 bikes for maybe 20-30 minutes at a time to see what I think. If I like one of the other bikes much more I may sell the Suzuki, the biggest problem is re-sale value likely won't be great. I wanted a Yamaha and would still consider one since they are generally regarded as the best bike.

The other option is put 42 mm forks springs on it and get the TwinAir PowerFlow kit and see how things go there. For riding an RMZ is fine. Racing, I think it depends on how competitive you want to be, but even then an RMZ can be competitive, that said other bikes may suit you better. The other concern is lack of aftermarket parts for the Suzuki.
Of course the resale will be less but you saved at least $3,500 on the front end. What was the '23 CRF250 OTD, $10K?
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
9/8/2022 8:49am
Like any decision it depends on the rider and what your wants and needs are. I had a lot of YZs in the past and then 3 KTM SXs in a row. I wanted something different and got a 21 RMZ 250.

Me: I weigh 148lb, I like a responsive/quick turning bike over a stable boat. I'd also rather start with that fun chassis and add/tweak power rather than start with a powerhouse and try to tweak the chassis to my liking (much harder imo).

I did a lot of mods to get mine close to a JGR bike and it's fun as hell. Honestly, it was fun stock but I just wanted to improve on it because the bike was so comfy and fun stock, it gave me motivation to make it even better.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
9/8/2022 8:52am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2022 9:03am
mx 219 wrote:
My limited experience is this: I bought a 2019 used RMZ 250 with like 12 hours on it this Spring since it was like $3,500 less...

Alex814 wrote:
Of course the resale will be less but you saved at least $3,500 on the front end. What was the '23 CRF250 OTD, $10K?
What I meant by that is I think I will be lucky to walk away with $4,500 for a bike with 23 hours on it (at least thats what it has now). Any other brand you should be seeing closer to $6,000+.

Regarding the Honda, nope, $8,299 OTD cash from Ridersville Cycle in Berkley Springs, WV. It sounded like they only got 3 in stock this year though and he doesn't have any on his website so I am assume they are all sold, my dad got the 1st one back around mid July. He can sell you a Kawi though LOL.
Johnnygunn
9/8/2022 8:53am
seth505 wrote:
Like any decision it depends on the rider and what your wants and needs are. I had a lot of YZs in the past and then...
Like any decision it depends on the rider and what your wants and needs are. I had a lot of YZs in the past and then 3 KTM SXs in a row. I wanted something different and got a 21 RMZ 250.

Me: I weigh 148lb, I like a responsive/quick turning bike over a stable boat. I'd also rather start with that fun chassis and add/tweak power rather than start with a powerhouse and try to tweak the chassis to my liking (much harder imo).

I did a lot of mods to get mine close to a JGR bike and it's fun as hell. Honestly, it was fun stock but I just wanted to improve on it because the bike was so comfy and fun stock, it gave me motivation to make it even better.
Awesome man! Thanks for that. I worried about having to shift from first to fifth all day long, having to ride hard as I could to get it to do anything, etc. Makes me feel better!
Johnnygunn
9/8/2022 8:55am
Well the RM-Z450 makes ~54 HP, just like the Austrian 350s. So if you liked that, then i'd look into the 450 more.
I understand your point and makes sense. Im curious how the engine character, inertia, chassis vs motor all effect ease of use. I was wondering if it was as easy on the rider as a 350 or similar. Thanks!
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
9/8/2022 8:56am
seth505 wrote:
Like any decision it depends on the rider and what your wants and needs are. I had a lot of YZs in the past and then...

Seth, what all did you do with your bike?
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
9/8/2022 8:58am
seth505 wrote:

Johnnygunn wrote:
Awesome man! Thanks for that. I worried about having to shift from first to fifth all day long, having to ride hard as I could to...
Awesome man! Thanks for that. I worried about having to shift from first to fifth all day long, having to ride hard as I could to get it to do anything, etc. Makes me feel better!
The stock 250 bottom to mid is impressive while the top end is not. That's why the engine mods were really extra fun for me. If you short shift then the bike is super good stock. I come from a bunch of 2-strokes and like to hold gears as long as I can so getting more overrev/top end was great.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
9/8/2022 9:04am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2022 9:30am
mx 219 wrote:
Seth, what all did you do with your bike?
I had Baker Speed do the engine (developed the JGR bikes). Engine wise, it has his porting/head, custom cams and GET ecu with custom tunes setup for T4 fuel. Also a high comp JE piston that I haven't installed yet. Then stuff like Twin Air power flow kit, Yoshimura exhaust.

Side note: Dean Baker was awesome to deal with. Answered a billion questions over the course of a few weeks and then delivered exactly what was promised when we moved forward with the work.
Johnnygunn
9/8/2022 9:16am
seth505 wrote:

Johnnygunn wrote:
Awesome man! Thanks for that. I worried about having to shift from first to fifth all day long, having to ride hard as I could to...
seth505 wrote:
The stock 250 bottom to mid is impressive while the top end is not. That's why the engine mods were really extra fun for me. If...
The stock 250 bottom to mid is impressive while the top end is not. That's why the engine mods were really extra fun for me. If you short shift then the bike is super good stock. I come from a bunch of 2-strokes and like to hold gears as long as I can so getting more overrev/top end was great.
I wouldn't want to do a ton of mods, especially to the motor. I would be ok with adding things that add to the top end like a pipe, ecu, whatever. I'd like to save the money and keep it reliable as possible on 93.
Alex814
9/8/2022 9:41am
mx 219 wrote:
What I meant by that is I think I will be lucky to walk away with $4,500 for a bike with 23 hours on it (at...
What I meant by that is I think I will be lucky to walk away with $4,500 for a bike with 23 hours on it (at least thats what it has now). Any other brand you should be seeing closer to $6,000+.

Regarding the Honda, nope, $8,299 OTD cash from Ridersville Cycle in Berkley Springs, WV. It sounded like they only got 3 in stock this year though and he doesn't have any on his website so I am assume they are all sold, my dad got the 1st one back around mid July. He can sell you a Kawi though LOL.
That's a great price on the Honda, I've seen people post much higher prices paid on the previous model year for sure.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
9/8/2022 9:50am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2022 9:51am
mx 219 wrote:
What I meant by that is I think I will be lucky to walk away with $4,500 for a bike with 23 hours on it (at...

Alex814 wrote:
That's a great price on the Honda, I've seen people post much higher prices paid on the previous model year for sure.
Yep, my dad and I were told $9,200+ from everyone else after "fees, setup, etc.". We knew Ridersville had good prices, but after a few phone calls were quickly reminded how good. I wont go anywhere else for a Honda, Kawasaki, or KTM.
AS64
Fantasy
2175th
9/8/2022 9:55am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2022 9:58am
Johnnygunn wrote:
I wouldn't want to do a ton of mods, especially to the motor. I would be ok with adding things that add to the top end...
I wouldn't want to do a ton of mods, especially to the motor. I would be ok with adding things that add to the top end like a pipe, ecu, whatever. I'd like to save the money and keep it reliable as possible on 93.
I wasn't willing to open the motor up so I went with a FMF Powerbomb, 4.1 Muffler and a Moto Tassinari Intake Boot. Pair that with a tune and the bike will really wake up on top.
Turning was great, suspension took a while for me to be happy. I'm 6'2 and the bike felt a bit cramped. Going back I would have done a taller seat and probably some x-trig clamps to move the bars forward.
R VanKamp77
9/8/2022 10:00am
Johnnygunn wrote:
I understand your point and makes sense. Im curious how the engine character, inertia, chassis vs motor all effect ease of use. I was wondering if...
I understand your point and makes sense. Im curious how the engine character, inertia, chassis vs motor all effect ease of use. I was wondering if it was as easy on the rider as a 350 or similar. Thanks!
I rode an RMZ 450 back to back with my 350 and the Suzuki has more power. Period. I know the numbers are similar but it comes out of the hole smooth and comes on hard until it signs off, which is kind of early but I think if you can ride it in the middle it’ll be rewarding. I prefer to abuse the throttle so I personally would get a 250.
gristle568
9/8/2022 10:52am
I rode an RMZ 450 back to back with my 350 and the Suzuki has more power. Period. I know the numbers are similar but it...
I rode an RMZ 450 back to back with my 350 and the Suzuki has more power. Period. I know the numbers are similar but it comes out of the hole smooth and comes on hard until it signs off, which is kind of early but I think if you can ride it in the middle it’ll be rewarding. I prefer to abuse the throttle so I personally would get a 250.
450s have 5 ft. lb. more tq than a 350. 350s feel slower until you get them higher in the rev range.
stone881
9/8/2022 10:52am
OP, as someone who now has about 20 hours on an RMZ 450, my primary bike being a big bore Sxf 250 that makes 52 hp and had a 350, the 450 is easy to ride. The power is very mellow stock, but that also makes it usable and fun.

Again it isn't my primary bike, but the reason that I don't have another brands 450 as my primary bike is that they will plant you in the dirt due to the rotating mass. The RMZ doesn't seem to have this tendency due to the nature of motor being more low to mid. Heck I tried to climb a 500 feet high sand hill and couldn't make it due to zero top end , whereas my buddy on a 350, who has a lower skill level and outweighs me by 50 pounds made it up first try.

I think that if you are primarily interested in having fun vs. chasing trophy's that the RMZ 450 is a great choice. You will have to mod the suspension as the settings suck, although I don't hate the shock like some others. The bike does turn in and hold a line in ruts really well and feels light and easy in the air. You could spend extra coin on improving the top end, but I don't think it's necessary. If you want a revver, get a Ktm 350, they are amazing bikes. But I have to say the Zook has exceeded my expectations and the money you save will pay for your gas for the year and then some.
Johnnygunn
9/8/2022 11:09am
stone881 wrote:
OP, as someone who now has about 20 hours on an RMZ 450, my primary bike being a big bore Sxf 250 that makes 52 hp...
OP, as someone who now has about 20 hours on an RMZ 450, my primary bike being a big bore Sxf 250 that makes 52 hp and had a 350, the 450 is easy to ride. The power is very mellow stock, but that also makes it usable and fun.

Again it isn't my primary bike, but the reason that I don't have another brands 450 as my primary bike is that they will plant you in the dirt due to the rotating mass. The RMZ doesn't seem to have this tendency due to the nature of motor being more low to mid. Heck I tried to climb a 500 feet high sand hill and couldn't make it due to zero top end , whereas my buddy on a 350, who has a lower skill level and outweighs me by 50 pounds made it up first try.

I think that if you are primarily interested in having fun vs. chasing trophy's that the RMZ 450 is a great choice. You will have to mod the suspension as the settings suck, although I don't hate the shock like some others. The bike does turn in and hold a line in ruts really well and feels light and easy in the air. You could spend extra coin on improving the top end, but I don't think it's necessary. If you want a revver, get a Ktm 350, they are amazing bikes. But I have to say the Zook has exceeded my expectations and the money you save will pay for your gas for the year and then some.
Thank you for the info and details! I am currently on a 2018 ktm 350 and the motor is just fantastic. Easiest and most fun motor I've ever ridden and i am opposite of a revver lol. I do get a little annoyed with the air fork, but it's never been a deal breaker. At my weight I have had to get the suspension done on every bike I've had except the yamaha, I got away with it there, so I'm used to that. I would just hate to give up a 350 I got a decent deal on that never gives me arm pump and go back to a 450 and it blow my forearms up 3 laps in, that's why I considered the 250
Thanks again!
BAD10
9/8/2022 5:39pm
Johnnygunn wrote:
seth505 wrote:
The stock 250 bottom to mid is impressive while the top end is not. That's why the engine mods were really extra fun for me. If...
Johnnygunn wrote:
I wouldn't want to do a ton of mods, especially to the motor. I would be ok with adding things that add to the top end...
Dude you are 62lbs heavier than Seth505. You will never get that RMZ250 to feel as strong as his bike does to him, no matter what you do. He's a featherweight. You need a 350 minimum, but I'd stick with a 450.
Johnnygunn
9/8/2022 5:56pm
seth505 wrote:
Johnnygunn wrote:
BAD10 wrote:
Dude you are 62lbs heavier than Seth505. You will never get that RMZ250 to feel as strong as his bike does to him, no matter what...
Dude you are 62lbs heavier than Seth505. You will never get that RMZ250 to feel as strong as his bike does to him, no matter what you do. He's a featherweight. You need a 350 minimum, but I'd stick with a 450.
Blessing and a curse 💪🏼
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
9/8/2022 8:26pm
Is the 250 frame harsh compared to a ktm or is it all in the suspension settings?

Post a reply to: Someone call 911, is Suzuki still alive?

The Latest