Some KTM insight. 2017 and beyond

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 5/17/2016 5:39pm
Great interview with KTM's head of R&D Philipp Habsburg. Good questions with no deflected answers.

http://issuu.com/enduro21.com/docs/enduro_illustrated_15/74?e=15066372/…
|
HenryA
5/16/2016 1:38pm
Great read! I would never guess that 50% of the offroad units that they sell every year is 2-strokes.
Titan1
5/16/2016 2:03pm
HenryA wrote:
Great read! I would never guess that 50% of the offroad units that they sell every year is 2-strokes.
If you've ever been to any type of off road race, that wouldn't surprise you. In fact, I'm surprised its not higher than 50% (two strokes).
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
5/16/2016 2:56pm
Titan1 wrote:
If you've ever been to any type of off road race, that wouldn't surprise you. In fact, I'm surprised its not higher than 50% (two strokes).
I was at a hare scramble yesterday and the number of KTM and Husqvarna 2 strokes is crazy. I would say those two brands outnumbered every other brand combined.

The Shop

5/16/2016 3:20pm
Titan1 wrote:
mx510 wrote:
I was at a hare scramble yesterday and the number of KTM and Husqvarna 2 strokes is crazy. I would say those two brands outnumbered every...
I was at a hare scramble yesterday and the number of KTM and Husqvarna 2 strokes is crazy. I would say those two brands outnumbered every other brand combined.
Its almost like Suzuki, Honda, and Kawasaki abandon the off road market...oh wait. lol
kiwifan
5/16/2016 3:27pm
No great surprise in that read, I think people should be worried IF the Japs start making more of the 2 strokes as it WILL take sales away from KTM/Husky ...so be careful at what you want :-)
JBernard_401
5/16/2016 3:35pm
kiwifan wrote:
No great surprise in that read, I think people should be worried IF the Japs start making more of the 2 strokes as it WILL take...
No great surprise in that read, I think people should be worried IF the Japs start making more of the 2 strokes as it WILL take sales away from KTM/Husky ...so be careful at what you want :-)
Yep, they are going to re-tool and come back out with 2strokes to compete with ktm/husky. Ha! Yamaha can barely slap an 18" on a 06' yz with plastic!
Steadman
5/16/2016 3:36pm
kiwifan wrote:
No great surprise in that read, I think people should be worried IF the Japs start making more of the 2 strokes as it WILL take...
We have been seeing a lot of Yamahas at events where I'm from. It's starting to happen.
HardTaco
5/16/2016 3:40pm
Yamaha in VA/NC xc is making a huge comeback in the off road side of things......
kiwifan
5/16/2016 3:52pm
kiwifan wrote:
Yep, they are going to re-tool and come back out with 2strokes to compete with ktm/husky. Ha! Yamaha can barely slap an 18" on a 06'...
Yep, they are going to re-tool and come back out with 2strokes to compete with ktm/husky. Ha! Yamaha can barely slap an 18" on a 06' yz with plastic!
lol maybe, then again the Yamaha is pretty damn good
5/16/2016 5:36pm
HardTaco wrote:
Yamaha in VA/NC xc is making a huge comeback in the off road side of things......
I myself joined the boys in blue this year on a smoker. So far so good.
nickm
5/16/2016 6:39pm
The only market segment they are missing is a 500cc 2 stroke. Build one and watch all us old guys go buy one.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
5/16/2016 7:12pm
Awesome read! I'm kind of jazzed about that CRF250RE. That is one bada-- bike.

New ugliest bike? Fantic! OMG that thing is hard to look at. Did they not figure out how to bolt the front fender up correctly? Is that like a cheap copy of a YZF front fender?! Uuugggh, make it go away Tongue
Titan1
5/17/2016 6:19am Edited Date/Time 5/17/2016 6:23am
kiwifan wrote:
Yep, they are going to re-tool and come back out with 2strokes to compete with ktm/husky. Ha! Yamaha can barely slap an 18" on a 06'...
Since Yamaha started making the X line, I'm seeing tons of them at my local desert series. And everyone loves them.

I think part of that is that everyone hated the 4cs forks....so the KYB SSS forks on a true off road race bike was an easy choice (and everyone loves the stock suspension on the YZx's). But if the Jap brands started making two strikes again, it would be silly to think that wouldn't cut into KTM's market share.
endurox
5/17/2016 8:10am
KTM is racing moto gp next year. The big boy class will give them even more exposure. KTM will be up to half a million bike sales in 5 years
BobPA
5/17/2016 9:23am
Titan1 wrote:
Since Yamaha started making the X line, I'm seeing tons of them at my local desert series. And everyone loves them. I think part of that...
Since Yamaha started making the X line, I'm seeing tons of them at my local desert series. And everyone loves them.

I think part of that is that everyone hated the 4cs forks....so the KYB SSS forks on a true off road race bike was an easy choice (and everyone loves the stock suspension on the YZx's). But if the Jap brands started making two strikes again, it would be silly to think that wouldn't cut into KTM's market share.
Local harescrambles where I'm at have more Suzukis than Yamaha. I would venture to say that 65-70% of the bikes on the line were orange or white....maybe more
Titan1
5/17/2016 10:03am
Titan1 wrote:
Since Yamaha started making the X line, I'm seeing tons of them at my local desert series. And everyone loves them. I think part of that...

BobPA wrote:
Local harescrambles where I'm at have more Suzukis than Yamaha. I would venture to say that 65-70% of the bikes on the line were orange or...
Local harescrambles where I'm at have more Suzukis than Yamaha. I would venture to say that 65-70% of the bikes on the line were orange or white....maybe more
In my local desert series (and the NHHA) I'd be surprised if there is more than 5 Suzuki's on the line...out of 200-300 big bikes.

KTM dominates...Kawasaki and Yamaha are close, but I'd be there are more yamaha's...then Honda, then Suzuki.

I'm seeing more and more Husky's though...
EEE299
5/17/2016 10:31am
My buddy on a yz450 and I (yz250) pitted next to a group of 6 guys at our last HS. 2 were on a yz250fx, then a yz250x, a yz250, and 2 on yz450 (one might have been an fx couldn't tell). Yamaha seems to be growing in popularity offroad. There is always a majority of ktm/huskys though.

Been seeing more shiny new Betas too!Cool
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
5/17/2016 10:40am
Titan1 wrote:

BobPA wrote:
Local harescrambles where I'm at have more Suzukis than Yamaha. I would venture to say that 65-70% of the bikes on the line were orange or...
Titan1 wrote:
In my local desert series (and the NHHA) I'd be surprised if there is more than 5 Suzuki's on the line...out of 200-300 big bikes. KTM...
In my local desert series (and the NHHA) I'd be surprised if there is more than 5 Suzuki's on the line...out of 200-300 big bikes.

KTM dominates...Kawasaki and Yamaha are close, but I'd be there are more yamaha's...then Honda, then Suzuki.

Nobody is gonna race a Zuke in the desert lol woods is a different story.
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2893rd
5/17/2016 10:51am
BobPA wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
In my local desert series (and the NHHA) I'd be surprised if there is more than 5 Suzuki's on the line...out of 200-300 big bikes. KTM...

colintrax wrote:
The woods here in the midwest are dominated by KTM, with an ok showing by Yamaha and Honda. Yamaha is on the rise though now with the X series bikes.

Here is some data for a national enduro in June at Huntersville MN. So far 385 people registered, 204 on ktms...

Data Source

Titan1
5/17/2016 11:06am
BobPA wrote:
Titan1 wrote:

colintrax wrote:
My desert series isn't a true "desert" series (all fast wide open 100 mph trails)...its got several GP's (that include Moto Tracks), several enduro's, several hare Scrambles, and several Hare and Hounds.

Even the hare and hounds in Utah aren't like you see down in Lucerne Valley in SoCal, or down in Baja...it's almost entirely single track in the trees (not trees like what you woods guys race, single track none-the-less)...

The brands that are represented the most here are brands that make two strokes...KTM, Husky, Yamaha...
kiwifan
5/17/2016 12:59pm
endurox wrote:
KTM is racing moto gp next year. The big boy class will give them even more exposure. KTM will be up to half a million bike...
KTM is racing moto gp next year. The big boy class will give them even more exposure. KTM will be up to half a million bike sales in 5 years
Might be possible in 5 years .. to get to those figures they need to mass produce a lot of road bikes like the other manufacturers do now....right now with the current KTM roadbike lineup wont allow that....I know they are planning on producing more road bikes but R&D takes time plus building new production assembly lines
h&m_cycle
5/17/2016 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2016 5:41pm
Man, are those bikes, Pretty... Even the 2 on the left with the skinny pipes...

Post a reply to: Some KTM insight. 2017 and beyond

The Latest