Sold the bike, and hung up the boots.

1/5/2017 1:13pm
Decided to sell my bike and move on from mx this past weekend. Not sure what my next motorsport step will be, but I will be taking a step back in time and racing bmx again. Just wasn't enjoying mx like I used to.
I'm gonna miss this bike though...

|
snackfedbear
1/5/2017 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2017 1:16pm
You should try mountainbiking.... tons of fun and gives you a good rush.... when going downhill.
kott0n
Fantasy
3717th
1/5/2017 1:16pm
Was hoping to get together with some of you portland guys this summer. To ride, drink and smoke in a responsible order.

Bummer.
JRT812
1/5/2017 1:25pm
I did the same thing a few years ago.... the itch is coming back though. Good luck!
PastranaWho
1/5/2017 1:28pm
Yesterday i texted some buddies that i want to sell my bike and to spread the word, only rode 5 times in 3 years. Just aint feeling it no more, out of shape, arm pump and being slow as fuck = No fun.

The Shop

38special
1/5/2017 1:29pm
You should try mountainbiking.... tons of fun and gives you a good rush.... when going downhill.
That's exactly what I've done. I've taken a liking to MTB like I never thought I would. It's proven to be a much more practical hobby.

By practical, I mean time, money, and safety. I guess you can take any hobby and make it all-consuming and expensive, but all things being equal MTB suits my lifestyle much better than MX.
1/5/2017 1:29pm
kott0n wrote:
Was hoping to get together with some of you portland guys this summer. To ride, drink and smoke in a responsible order.

Bummer.
Keep in touch if you do, I have access to bikes at my leisure. I'll still be down for the occasional rip!
1/5/2017 1:33pm
I'm definitely going to give that a try again. My last mountain bike was a single speed dual crown hardtail that I built. Pretty wonky in today's standards lol.

jeffro503
1/5/2017 1:49pm
I'm definitely going to give that a try again. My last mountain bike was a single speed dual crown hardtail that I built. Pretty wonky in...
I'm definitely going to give that a try again. My last mountain bike was a single speed dual crown hardtail that I built. Pretty wonky in today's standards lol.

Nothing wrong with mtb's for sure. Didn't you just pick up a chunk of land? Maybe make a badass pit bike / mtb course at your place? And MX....you're still young I bet , so retirement probably aint gonna happen forever. You'll be back one day. Smile Christ , I've retired from this sport like 3 times....and I keep coming back because I can't think of anything else that gets my blood pumping like MX does. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
swtwtwtw
1/5/2017 1:51pm

One more of this and I am done too.
1/5/2017 1:54pm
I'm definitely going to give that a try again. My last mountain bike was a single speed dual crown hardtail that I built. Pretty wonky in...

jeffro503 wrote:
Nothing wrong with mtb's for sure. Didn't you just pick up a chunk of land? Maybe make a badass pit bike / mtb course at your...
Nothing wrong with mtb's for sure. Didn't you just pick up a chunk of land? Maybe make a badass pit bike / mtb course at your place? And MX....you're still young I bet , so retirement probably aint gonna happen forever. You'll be back one day. Smile Christ , I've retired from this sport like 3 times....and I keep coming back because I can't think of anything else that gets my blood pumping like MX does. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Yup, up in Sandy. Even have the track scratched in. Could make it anything at this point. I'm only 33, so more than likely I'll be back at it, at some point. Have a little boy on the way too, so I'm sure once we get him riding, I'll be riding again.
1/5/2017 1:55pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/01/05/167383/s1200_20161222_114613.jpg[/img] One more of this and I am done too.

One more of this and I am done too.
Ouch man! It's been 15 years since my last bad moto injury. I don't think I'd handle one well these days.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
1/5/2017 2:37pm
You'll be back. We always come back... Smile

I stopped riding for a number of years. During that time I tried getting into karting, sports cars, formula cars, 1/8th scale RC racing and a few other things. Nothing compares to motocross for me but if you aren't having fun this sport is too damn dangerous to force yourself to do it.

As a possible solution I'd propose vintage racing if you haven't tried it before.
Tenacious P
1/5/2017 2:41pm
Sorry to hear. The sport will be here when you get the itch again... although we will all be on electric bikes.

There's nothing in this world quite like jumping a dirt bike.
hvaughn88
1/5/2017 2:45pm

Sorry to hijack, but is that the Giro Cipher helmet in that picture? I've been trying to figure out which helmet I want to get next and that's on the list
1/5/2017 2:55pm

hvaughn88 wrote:
Sorry to hijack, but is that the Giro Cipher helmet in that picture? I've been trying to figure out which helmet I want to get next...
Sorry to hijack, but is that the Giro Cipher helmet in that picture? I've been trying to figure out which helmet I want to get next and that's on the list
That was a Remedy. The predecessor to the Cipher. Very light & comfortable helmet. Saved my melon a couple times too.
hvaughn88
1/5/2017 3:08pm

hvaughn88 wrote:
Sorry to hijack, but is that the Giro Cipher helmet in that picture? I've been trying to figure out which helmet I want to get next...
That was a Remedy. The predecessor to the Cipher. Very light & comfortable helmet. Saved my melon a couple times too.
Nice! Thanks dude and congrats on the upcoming addition to the family!
1/5/2017 3:09pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
Nice! Thanks dude and congrats on the upcoming addition to the family!
Appreciate that!
1/5/2017 3:10pm
Did the same a few summers ago, its getting harder and harder to ride decent tracks over here. I got a Stand Up Jet Ski instead and haven't looked back, feels amazingly similar to riding an mx bike without the hard ground to slam in to when it goes wrong....I highly recommend it.
mark_swart
1/5/2017 6:46pm
Two words for you brother: Vintage Motocross. It's not all twin shocks, there are classes for everything up to 96 - and a 96 can still pretty much kick ass.
It's a chill scene, not a serious with the training, and if you have a little one coming you can take that downtime to build your bike. I did the same thing when my youngest was born and I had a lot of fun with it. And that's what this is all supposed to be about anyway! The Pacific Northwest VMX series is a really well run series and there is also a winter series in Woodland WA where I seem to meet a lot of riders from Oregon as well.
www.pnwvmx.com
1/5/2017 6:52pm
mark_swart wrote:
Two words for you brother: Vintage Motocross. It's not all twin shocks, there are classes for everything up to 96 - and a 96 can still...
Two words for you brother: Vintage Motocross. It's not all twin shocks, there are classes for everything up to 96 - and a 96 can still pretty much kick ass.
It's a chill scene, not a serious with the training, and if you have a little one coming you can take that downtime to build your bike. I did the same thing when my youngest was born and I had a lot of fun with it. And that's what this is all supposed to be about anyway! The Pacific Northwest VMX series is a really well run series and there is also a winter series in Woodland WA where I seem to meet a lot of riders from Oregon as well.
www.pnwvmx.com
You guys may be on to something! I've been itching to do a restore.
DFWracefan
1/5/2017 6:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2017 7:00pm
For non motocross hobbies, I will stick to RC racing. I am not good at either one, but truly enjoy both. I have horrible eyesight and getting up there in age...but still get my fix from motorcycles or RC's. If I was going to spend the time and money for a moutain bike, I would just soon have a motocross bike. The mountain bike will wad you up just like a motorcycle so why not just stick with a throttle and good suspension. As for the RC racing it is a lot of the same principles as motocross. Line selection, jumping and setup....it truly becomes addictive!
slipdog
1/5/2017 6:57pm
Sorry to hear. The sport will be here when you get the itch again... although we will all be on electric bikes. There's nothing in this...
Sorry to hear. The sport will be here when you get the itch again... although we will all be on electric bikes.

There's nothing in this world quite like jumping a dirt bike.
mx836
1/5/2017 6:59pm
kott0n wrote:

Bummer.
Keep in touch if you do, I have access to bikes at my leisure. I'll still be down for the occasional rip!
Pun intended? Wink
mx836
1/5/2017 7:05pm
DFWracefan wrote:
For non motocross hobbies, I will stick to RC racing. I am not good at either one, but truly enjoy both. I have horrible eyesight and...
For non motocross hobbies, I will stick to RC racing. I am not good at either one, but truly enjoy both. I have horrible eyesight and getting up there in age...but still get my fix from motorcycles or RC's. If I was going to spend the time and money for a moutain bike, I would just soon have a motocross bike. The mountain bike will wad you up just like a motorcycle so why not just stick with a throttle and good suspension. As for the RC racing it is a lot of the same principles as motocross. Line selection, jumping and setup....it truly becomes addictive!
Same here man. My friends spend as much or more on their MTB's than I do on MX and I have a newer 450. Seams crazy to me. Might as well just keep riding moto. RC is my winter moto replacement and I don't get out to do it enough for what I've got invested. I raced Friday nights last winter, but that shop moved and is going to carpet!! Blasphemy!! The other two tracks near me race on Saturdays and I'd rather sit in my warm house watching SX practice and racing. First world problems!
sandman768
1/5/2017 7:17pm
Pull your head out of your ass bro........moto is a privilege...enjoy every moment...
Gooose
1/5/2017 7:34pm
The vintage scene from what I hear is a blast around these parts and very laid back. You can find deals on some vintage bikes too if you look hard enough. Alot of old guys with parts for days just gotta get in tough with ones that have what your after.

Post a reply to: Sold the bike, and hung up the boots.

The Latest