Sold on the 2 stroke!!!

Related:
Create New Tag

4/5/2015 6:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2015 6:47 PM

Photo

I have to admit I was really worried that I may not like my recent purchase after I got it home. With abuse from every angle including from my wife I wasn't sure of my purchase at all.
Well.... I love it . It's completely different style of riding and it has been 13 years since I have raced a
2 stroke .After over jumping jumps and blowing turns for a few laps I got the hang of it. The complete lack of engine braking is tough at first. I'm sure I'm no where near my normal speed since I've only rode 4 times since LL's but I felt good. The flywheel weight gave it a four stroke feel coming out of the corners and was barely noticeable anywhere else. I never rode it stock. The V3 and the FMF pipe silencer seemed good. Bike pulled strong in most gears but fell flat in third. I think jetting it a little richer will help that. Cornering was unreal. The bike settle into ruts very nicely. It seemed easy to stay in a neutral position on the bike. On my previous 450's I always seemed to scooting forward on the bike in the corners and pretty much every. Most tracks around here are 2-3 gears on a 450 and I enjoyed hardly shifting. The 2 stroke I shifted quite a bit and that was hard for me to shift more frequently. I didn't notice too much of a power loss but on one jump that takes a lot to get over on a 450. I couldn't get over it at all but I think the super soft suspension was part of the problem to.
The condition favored a 4 stroke more but my bike felt good all over the track.
With some tweaking I think this bike could be great. Today I'm very happy with my purchase. Oh yea the sound was awesome. Photo
Photo
If you're ever in Ohio you have to stop by Briarcliff. Hands down the best track in Ohio.

|

4/5/2015 6:18 PM

Nice! Flat in third? Got to be jetting. I noticed an immediate increase in power after installing the V Force. Especially in third gear. Enjoy!

|

4/5/2015 6:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2015 8:12 PM

Sexy beast. The pipe looks cool as hell too.

Josh Grant on a YZ 250

|

4/5/2015 6:53 PM

What kind of flywheel weight did you purchase and how much weight? I'm considering either the next heavier Kawasaki flywheel that goes from 4.5 to 4.9 KG i believe or the steehly 9oz haven't quite decided yet.

Awesome ride and welcome back to the dark side!

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

4/5/2015 6:55 PM

I went up one on the main to a 180 and it was a little better but I think a 185 will be perfect.

|

4/5/2015 6:57 PM

bvm111 wrote:

What kind of flywheel weight did you purchase and how much weight? I'm considering either the next heavier Kawasaki flywheel that goes from 4.5 to 4.9 KG i believe or the steehly 9oz haven't quite decided yet.

9 ounce stealthy.

|

4/5/2015 7:00 PM

bvm111 wrote:

49weasel wrote:

9 ounce stealthy.

Sweet thanks I appreciate it!

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

4/5/2015 7:39 PM

Mixin gas and Savin cash. Freakin yz250 is perfection the way she grips the track and pulls for days.....

What silencer you running ? Powercore or the short one ?

|

GP740
Since 1987

4/5/2015 7:55 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Mixin gas and Savin cash. Freakin yz250 is perfection the way she grips the track and pulls for days.....

Titanium which is the same size as the shorty.

|

4/5/2015 7:56 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Titanium which is the same length as the shorty.

|

4/5/2015 10:24 PM

Sweet bike congrats! I don't miss my 450's at all. Your write up sums up how I felt when I snagged my yz!

|

4/6/2015 4:33 AM

Nice! Surprised you didn't say anything about the weight difference

|

4/6/2015 5:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2015 5:10 AM

Great write up and glad you like the bike. At the end of the day this is all about fun and it sounds like you hit the mark with the YZ.

Hate to go off topic, but are there any good Ohio tracks close to the Eastern border of the state within a few hours of Pittsburgh?

Edit. Ok, I just checked, Briarcliff is about 2.5 hours away so that answers that. Close enough.

|

4/6/2015 5:27 AM

Do yourself a favor and have your head cut to set the squish gap and rechambered for whatever fuel you are going to run. RB design or TDC 2 stroke performance both do great work. I used TDC 2 stoke performance and it made a huge difference in throttle response and its much easier to jet.

|

4/6/2015 5:37 AM

Best all around dirt bike ever made! Sweet!

|

4/6/2015 6:22 AM

Nice ride! Just picked up a leftover '14 to replace my beat '09. I still don't understand why everyone's like "why didn't you get a 4 stroke?" If they only knew....laughing

|

4/6/2015 12:22 PM

Markee wrote:

Nice! Surprised you didn't say anything about the weight difference

The bike did feel extremely light.

|

4/6/2015 12:28 PM

Go up to a 51 rear sprocket. The fall off from 2nd to 3rd disappears. Carrys all the way through.

|

4/6/2015 12:52 PM

|

4/6/2015 1:07 PM

Welcome to the dark side.

|

4/6/2015 2:16 PM

BAMX wrote:

Welcome to the dark side.

Are we still the Two stroke Taliban, or are we now the Pre-mix ISIS?

|

Mixin' gas and kickin' ass

4/6/2015 2:42 PM

hell yeah! hope to see you around!!!

|

4/7/2015 6:47 AM

scooterB wrote:

hell yeah! hope to see you around!!!

Are you from Ohio ?

|

4/7/2015 7:32 AM

Dtat720 wrote:

Go up to a 51 rear sprocket. The fall off from 2nd to 3rd disappears. Carrys all the way through.

Good point. I forgot that I did this right after I got my 13. That must explain why the V-Force created such a noticeable hit in third gear.

|