Social media / Being different in motocross

natty2356
Edited Date/Time 6/28/2022 9:40am

So, Stankdog raises a perfect point in one of his interviews with GypsyTales.

" Do something different, you don't have to be the fastest or the most skilled. But if you can do something different, something along the lines of being different and stand out you can make a career in the dirtbike world"

What do we all think about this?

I guess what he is saying is people like Buttery, Medium etc are doing things differently which people like to see instead of the same 40 top pros doing the same thing and saying the same thing (except Jett and Hunter), they stand out and therefore gravitate to what they are doing.

What do you think the motocross industry lacks? and what could be done differently to stand out to make a career in the dirtbike world?

Free ride a 125 2 stroke? Drop some ideas

Cheers
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
6/27/2022 4:00pm
He’s not wrong. Something that proves it is these girls that don’t ride very well but constantly post themselves on their bikes in sports bras and spandex shorts and get more help/product than those dudes grinding all day every day trying to make the top 20-30 at the nationals. Pisses me off and I hate the companies that would rather support some track snack that can barely jump a 30ft table top and pass up the kids racing the nationals or SX.
aeffertz
6/27/2022 4:00pm
Be fast or be entertaining. Or both in a perfect world.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
6/27/2022 4:09pm
Don’t worry shits about to change as soon as J-law lines up
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/27/2022 4:09pm
It's been this way since the late 90s when racers and freestyle riders split and went separate ways.

I'm surprised more privateers haven't jumped on the 2 stroke pro race bandwagon. Stank got himself a niche with no competition.

The Shop

clarkgray432
Fantasy
3993rd
6/27/2022 4:32pm
Buttery and Medium is a weird comparison to doing something “different”. Just two privileged kids from Oceanside who’s parents got them cameras. Sipes, Hill, Hodges, and Bereman are the standouts to me.
Sawfish
6/27/2022 4:35pm
Buttery and Medium is a weird comparison to doing something “different”. Just two privileged kids from Oceanside who’s parents got them cameras. Sipes, Hill, Hodges, and...
Buttery and Medium is a weird comparison to doing something “different”. Just two privileged kids from Oceanside who’s parents got them cameras. Sipes, Hill, Hodges, and Bereman are the standouts to me.
Isn’t Hodges and Dirt Sharks dad a higher up in Monster? Bad example of grass roots, lol.
brocster
6/27/2022 4:58pm
Buttery and Medium is a weird comparison to doing something “different”. Just two privileged kids from Oceanside who’s parents got them cameras. Sipes, Hill, Hodges, and...
I know buttery has quite the following of 20 somethings and younger but I thought he wasn’t liked too much by most “industry” folk. Same for Axel.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
6/27/2022 5:06pm
Connor's (Buttery) background is not what I'd consider privileged...
ML512
Fantasy
45th
6/27/2022 5:07pm
Sawfish wrote:
Isn’t Hodges and Dirt Sharks dad a higher up in Monster? Bad example of grass roots, lol.
Naw, Phil isn't at Monster. Axell's brother, Ash, was as Dirt Shark. Now he's contractor for Monster (I believe).
clarkgray432
Fantasy
3993rd
6/27/2022 5:32pm
Sawfish wrote:
Nah, he’s not lol also never said grassroots. Just somebody doing something different.
clarkgray432
Fantasy
3993rd
6/27/2022 5:34pm
ML512 wrote:
Wouldn’t exactly consider it rough either ha
vincefriese
Fantasy
4157th
6/27/2022 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2022 5:40pm
90% of moto brands are extremely lazy/old school when it comes to marketing.. Magazine ads, track banners, etc. With that in mind, it's much easier for them to find "the different" guy on social media or youtube and give them some money to bring some eyes to their brand. Rather than use their top riders to do something actually interesting/different in regards to marketing their products through social media.
The unfortunate truth.
JazzyJJ
6/27/2022 5:43pm
ML512 wrote:
Dropping out of high school and doing landscape work. Yep, that sounds like an easy life.
Dimblewambie
6/27/2022 6:11pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
He’s not wrong. Something that proves it is these girls that don’t ride very well but constantly post themselves on their bikes in sports bras and...
He’s not wrong. Something that proves it is these girls that don’t ride very well but constantly post themselves on their bikes in sports bras and spandex shorts and get more help/product than those dudes grinding all day every day trying to make the top 20-30 at the nationals. Pisses me off and I hate the companies that would rather support some track snack that can barely jump a 30ft table top and pass up the kids racing the nationals or SX.

captmoto
6/27/2022 10:07pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2022 9:31am
Brad Lackey had this figured out 40 years ago. He was asked about his "style" by Ping on WTS. He said being noticed could be as important as results. He was often in the media back then for his cowboy hat or Oakley Glasses. Name recognition is huge.
Dirt.Squirt
6/27/2022 11:50pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2022 11:50pm
I personally really like the buttery and medium vlogs they seem like genuine dudes and never any cooler than you or negative attitudes. Everywhere they go they seem to be spreading positivity and hyping people up. They also have a bit of a dumb and dumber vibe going Laughing
Alan Dove
6/27/2022 11:50pm
natty2356 wrote:
So, Stankdog raises a perfect point in one of his interviews with GypsyTales. " Do something different, you don't have to be the fastest or the...

" Do something different, you don't have to be the fastest or the most skilled. But if you can do something different, something along the lines of being different and stand out you can make a career in the dirtbike world"

I guess what he is saying is people like Buttery, Medium etc are doing things differently which people like to see instead of the same 40 top pros doing the same thing and saying the same thing (except Jett and Hunter), they stand out and therefore gravitate to what they are doing.

What do you think the motocross industry lacks? and what could be done differently to stand out to make a career in the dirtbike world?

Cheers
1. Yes he is absolutely correct. Being fast can often bring problems. Not being the absolutely best brings an element of freedom hard to achieve if your trying to grind for results at the front.
2. I have ideas, but it'll cost you!
philG
6/28/2022 12:39am
I am totally checked out of moto on social media.. come here for news / comment and that is it.

I follow loads of random You Tube stuff that is entertaining , but it is zero to do with bikes.

Folks are burnt out..
natty2356
6/28/2022 1:46am
natty2356 wrote:
So, Stankdog raises a perfect point in one of his interviews with GypsyTales. " Do something different, you don't have to be the fastest or the...

Cheers
Alan Dove wrote:
1. Yes he is absolutely correct. Being fast can often bring problems. Not being the absolutely best brings an element of freedom hard to achieve if...
1. Yes he is absolutely correct. Being fast can often bring problems. Not being the absolutely best brings an element of freedom hard to achieve if your trying to grind for results at the front.
2. I have ideas, but it'll cost you!
Would love to hear them mate!
6/28/2022 2:17am
Bingo!
Too many people believe that ONLY race wins and championships 'sell'.

How many times have we seen or spoken about a certain rider getting a one off or fill in ride on a certain team and people say "Whats the point? Hes done! He won't win" blah blah blah....

But in reality its a spectacle. It'll get eyes on the truck/bike/gear, huge autograph queues too!

Ive suggested it before, that if a manufacturer wanted to really create excitement, they could assign a big star and handpick his races, with the primary objective of creating a buzz and getting eyes on their product.

How excited were people when they heard AC222 was riding your nationals?? Was he realistically expected to win?? No... but it created a huge buzz!

What If Monster sent Eli to Europe for a one off GP? How many eyes across the globe will be watching closely??

What if Red Bull sent Herlings to do A1?? How many people will be interested to watch??

This 'break from the norm' stuff would be HUGE! There can only be one person to win a championship, but there can be numerous riders doing some really exciting stuff that would create more fan interest.
6/28/2022 2:19am
ML512 wrote:
So they haven't worked hard enough to get where they're at? Perhaps you could lay out how they might gain your respect more here. Hopefully they're reading
6/28/2022 2:22am
Also, it really doesn't make much sense that the manufacturers who DO make two strokes dont employ someone to race them.

Yes yes, we all know it will barely be competitive, but who cares?? Get out there and showcase the product. Show what it CAN do with a great rider on it.

At the final round of this championship, could HRC enter Jett & Hunter in the 450 class riding their 250s?? Imagine how interesting that would be! Much more interesting than watching them sweep another 250 race.
Alan Dove
6/28/2022 3:18am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2022 3:19am
Also, it really doesn't make much sense that the manufacturers who DO make two strokes dont employ someone to race them. Yes yes, we all know...
Also, it really doesn't make much sense that the manufacturers who DO make two strokes dont employ someone to race them.

Yes yes, we all know it will barely be competitive, but who cares?? Get out there and showcase the product. Show what it CAN do with a great rider on it.

At the final round of this championship, could HRC enter Jett & Hunter in the 450 class riding their 250s?? Imagine how interesting that would be! Much more interesting than watching them sweep another 250 race.
If you put someone of Jett's quality on a 125 lets say he's going to be beating a LOT of your 250F customers. That's not really what these companies want to do. In principle you are right that it would be a HUGE draw of interest, it'd be the #1 watched event of the season, but who benefits? The event organiser? Probably. The rider? Yes, probably too. The manufacturer? More complex question.

part of the fun of Stankdog was imaging what the guys on their 250Fs or 450Fs must have been thinking when they were behind him. Manufacturers aren't going to like that all that much.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4295th
6/28/2022 4:30am
What they do must be different, if it was the same as every other person trying to do the dirtbike vlog thing then they wouldn’t have the following they do.

You need to look at the reality of what it actually is. Your jealousy of them is showing quickly with your different posts in here.
6/28/2022 4:44am
Also, it really doesn't make much sense that the manufacturers who DO make two strokes dont employ someone to race them. Yes yes, we all know...

Alan Dove wrote:
If you put someone of Jett's quality on a 125 lets say he's going to be beating a LOT of your 250F customers. That's not really...
If you put someone of Jett's quality on a 125 lets say he's going to be beating a LOT of your 250F customers. That's not really what these companies want to do. In principle you are right that it would be a HUGE draw of interest, it'd be the #1 watched event of the season, but who benefits? The event organiser? Probably. The rider? Yes, probably too. The manufacturer? More complex question.

part of the fun of Stankdog was imaging what the guys on their 250Fs or 450Fs must have been thinking when they were behind him. Manufacturers aren't going to like that all that much.
Bad example using Jett, with Hondas lack of 125, but I get the sentiment.

If the 250F customers don’t like being beaten by the 125, then they can go buy a 125…. If they truly believe the bike is the difference..

But I think everyone can work out that if you want the ultimate in competitive machinery the ‘F’ is the bike, but there will be a lot of fans who want to see what the other models can do.
TXDirt
6/28/2022 5:08am
Bingo! Too many people believe that ONLY race wins and championships 'sell'. How many times have we seen or spoken about a certain rider getting a...
Bingo!

How many times have we seen or spoken about a certain rider getting a one off or fill in ride on a certain team and people say "Whats the point? Hes done! He won't win" blah blah blah....

But in reality its a spectacle. It'll get eyes on the truck/bike/gear, huge autograph queues too!

Ive suggested it before, that if a manufacturer wanted to really create excitement, they could assign a big star and handpick his races, with the primary objective of creating a buzz and getting eyes on their product.

How excited were people when they heard AC222 was riding your nationals?? Was he realistically expected to win?? No... but it created a huge buzz!

What If Monster sent Eli to Europe for a one off GP? How many eyes across the globe will be watching closely??

What if Red Bull sent Herlings to do A1?? How many people will be interested to watch??

This 'break from the norm' stuff would be HUGE! There can only be one person to win a championship, but there can be numerous riders doing some really exciting stuff that would create more fan interest.
This would certainly create buzz. But could also be damaging to the top rider if you think about it. Thus damaging to their brand. I think this applies to top tier talent. If Herlings comes to A1 and likely gets beat badly, that wound damage Herlings brand significantly. The most notable things about Herlings and Tomac are their speed. Not their personality.

To your point, it would create buzz for sure.

I do think for a guy like RV, when he went to Europe, it created a huge buzz, but he was soundly beat multiple times. And I do think it tarnished his brand for sure. He was no longer this amazing top tier force.

Probably didn’t matter since RV was at the end of his career. But I’m not sure you could argue it didn’t damage his brand even a little bit.

I think for a bit lesser tier riders it would be brand positive for sure.
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/28/2022 5:43am
Bingo! Too many people believe that ONLY race wins and championships 'sell'. How many times have we seen or spoken about a certain rider getting a...
Bingo!

TXDirt wrote:
This would certainly create buzz. But could also be damaging to the top rider if you think about it. Thus damaging to their brand. I think...
This would certainly create buzz. But could also be damaging to the top rider if you think about it. Thus damaging to their brand. I think this applies to top tier talent. If Herlings comes to A1 and likely gets beat badly, that wound damage Herlings brand significantly. The most notable things about Herlings and Tomac are their speed. Not their personality.

To your point, it would create buzz for sure.

I do think for a guy like RV, when he went to Europe, it created a huge buzz, but he was soundly beat multiple times. And I do think it tarnished his brand for sure. He was no longer this amazing top tier force.

Probably didn’t matter since RV was at the end of his career. But I’m not sure you could argue it didn’t damage his brand even a little bit.

I think for a bit lesser tier riders it would be brand positive for sure.
Tim Gajser didn't get much out of it when he crashed out of the Monster Cup.

What General Sipes has been doing has been cool and different and successful but that's probably over due to his severe injury and age.

It's a great idea to go be a fish out of water and create content but you have to have a guy that's willing to do it and has the skills to perform.
Alan Dove
6/28/2022 6:23am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2022 6:24am
Bad example using Jett, with Hondas lack of 125, but I get the sentiment. If the 250F customers don’t like being beaten by the 125, then...
Bad example using Jett, with Hondas lack of 125, but I get the sentiment.

If the 250F customers don’t like being beaten by the 125, then they can go buy a 125…. If they truly believe the bike is the difference..

But I think everyone can work out that if you want the ultimate in competitive machinery the ‘F’ is the bike, but there will be a lot of fans who want to see what the other models can do.
I said "the quality of Jett". I didn't say Honda should put Jett on a Honda 125 that doesn't exist. Wink

The manufactures have put a lot of money into the 4/ product line. I am not sure they are enthused about discrediting their whole 4/ line up with the smoker. There's a lot of politics at play. I agree that'd be epic to see someone like Jett on a smoker, but unfortunately these fast riders are just too fast for that to be allowed to happen.

The two strokes fit in a nice niché at the moment for the likes of KTM, Yamaha etc... They aren't pestering the top positions because top top riders will only ride what they think will make them win and they supply the demand for actual proper dirt bikes. So it's all good for them,

Post a reply to: Social media / Being different in motocross

The Latest