Social Moto - do you connect with others because of Moto?

Johnny Depp
Is this sport groups of like minded folks, or mostly individual's?

It seems to grow this sport it is necessary to embrace each other locally, face to face. Are you driving to the tracks alone, hoping at least someone will be there to pick up your bike if you bust your ass?

If you hike alone, or scuba alone and it goes all wrong, much like dirt bike's, society assumes you deserved membership in the Darwin awards, eliminated another stupid person from the human race.

Poll

How many enthusiast's in your riding circle?

Choices
|
9/10/2019 8:55pm
I usually race alone. A friend just got a bike so he comes out now. I've been fortunate that the few crashes i had were not bad enough to require an ambulance ride. Had 2 last year that resulted in broken bones but the people next to me were gracious enough to load my bike. One of them was literally busting my ass in the form of a broken coccyx. Most neighbors at the track are good people!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/10/2019 9:37pm
Racing I’m usually with my family and parents.

Riding, I have a ton of friends that always go ride together, but when it comes to me I don’t have an issue riding alone. I usually have the wife and kids with me so I have someone else to drive if God forbid something happens. I don’t need to ride with friends to have a good time. I just need me and my bike. Most of my friends won’t go ride without at least one more person from the group and they all lack motivation when no one else can go.

The Shop

Mr. Afterbar
9/11/2019 6:06am
I won’t go alone unless I know the track owner and they will be there. Surprisingly it’s not that easy to find people to ride with. Everyone always has an excuse or they just don’t care to ride anymore. As for racing these days, I mostly only go to the ones that my brother also wants to race. I once went to a regional alone, but did know a few other people that ended up being there.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
9/11/2019 9:17am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2019 9:19am
I only race with the otmx now and I've known most of those guys for 20 plus years, so for me I'm never "Alone" at a race. Desert trips our problem is there's usually too many guys on a ride, so never lonely there. Dual sports I usually ride with my wife on trips and vacations, and with her and another couple plus my kid for local ds stuff. So my answer is, never alone unless on doing a surf check or quick errand on the ds. I voted 5 or more they all drink my beer
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/11/2019 9:41am
I never ride alone. I don't care how many other people are there, but I want someone to be able to haul me out if necessary.
Red Crawford
9/11/2019 10:12am
Hate to ride alone, but it beats not riding. I leave my wife and son's contact info on a business card and stick it on the window of my truck. I always introduce myself to someone parked nearby and advise as to contact info location and a quick "can you load my shit if I digger?"

Thankfully, met another vet rider who rides Milestone Thursday by following my procedure above (introduce myself). We now put pressure on each other to "actually show-up." 😄
mikec265
9/11/2019 10:20am
I usually raced with one friend, or went by myself. I haven't raced in 12 years but I've accumulated more riding buddies over the years. My 3 best friends all ride and most have kids who ride. I've sucked a few people into the sport. I don't like much of anything else outside of motocross. It's like a drug that I like to get other people hooked on.
9/11/2019 10:24am
I'm never usually alone, I've rode alone a couple times and didn't have any fun. Some of the most fun I have is in the paddock with my friends haha.
FWYT
9/11/2019 11:25am
I always go riding at the track or racing by myself, though I always know people there. It's just hard
to jive schedules with friends from my area.

Going trail riding is another story and it's just not wise to go out into the hills alone, though I have done it.
Consequently I haven't gone out to McCain Valley in a long time and that pains me.

As far as the original question - "Do you connect with others because of Moto?" Yes!!!
At work, the only people I am social with outside of the work place, are those that ride bikes.
Eff the rest!!! hahahahah
dimetime
9/11/2019 11:58am
I always ride alone. I'm self employed so that makes it easy for me to sneak out during the week and ride. Unfortunately that means l'm almost always alone.

I've had a few incidents but have been really lucky and like a moron the only fix l've done is to only ride at tracks where at least someone will see me eat shit and help. I used to go out to the "badlands" off Gilman Springs alone and l had made a few 30-40 minute loops l'd do until one time l flew off trail and went about eight feet down into a wash and the bike laned on top of me. Took about a half hour to crawl out from that situation and l then at least learned to only ride at tracks.

However, my last trip ended in a fairly injurious little body slam at Milestone and while l was able to get back to the truck, l was fucked up. Barely got my boots off and had to have someone help me load my shit but l made it home. Two surgeries later l've only ridden twice but my wife insisted on going with. I think my alone days are officially over.
zippytech
9/11/2019 12:34pm
Like others have said, I ride a lone almost all the time , as I cannot get the few I know that have bikes to do anything, or they will be all talk like, hell yea, I will see you in the morning and then I find out they was drinking to much the night before and was just all talk and not show up and say, All I forgot, I had a wedding or some 3rd cousins nephew has a birthday party for a 6 month old or some shit.

So I don't even tell anyone I ride or if I am going. I just go. And most of the times when I did take some one with me I ended up paying for them to get in, they eat my food, loose my tools.

I have found most of the time when I get where I am riding, there are decent people that will help out if needed.
mark_swart
9/11/2019 12:36pm
Just moved to SC so I'm starting out alone again unfortunately. Any Vitards in SC want to go ride?!?
TW85
9/11/2019 1:23pm
Races. We have a group of 5-8 that all pit/camp out together. The bench racing makes it worth it so for sure a social thing.

Ride tracks. More often then not I’ll have 1-3 of those guys from the race group. My gf also rides with me so I’m usually not alone. I will hit up the tracks within 1.5 hours from solo sometimes.

Woods. No chance I’m going alone.
duckdog77
9/11/2019 1:46pm
I got back in the sport and intended for it to be my alone time. Met a guy at the track that now practices with me at my place once or twice in between each race. We race GP once every 3-5 weeks. We also pit together. I’m sure he’d practice with me more but I enjoy the alone time.

My wife and her family go to the races with me 50% of the time which is cool but I’m totally fine with going alone. Chatting with the guys pitted around me and just unwinding myself from this crazy thing we call life!

Have my first (a boy) on the way so hopefully in 3 to 4 years I’ll have a permanent riding partner!!!
zippytech
9/11/2019 2:02pm
I ride woods by myself, I go much slower and take less chances, and still feel safer than driving around some towns.

I have learned one thing over the years. Life is way to short to wait on others.
zippytech
9/11/2019 2:40pm
Worst part is if every one that has a dirt bike would hook up with some one and share the cost. There would be so many more people out riding. and it would cut cost in half if not more. But it's next to impossible to fine some one that's got a flexible enough life to do that.
SEE ARE125
9/11/2019 4:39pm
Not related to being at the track, but I walked into a bar, sat down and ordered a beer and noticed the guy a few seats down had his beer in a Husqvarna koozie. I thought “cool, I can talk moto with this guy” so as an icebreaker I said “Hey man nice koozie, Husky has some pretty sweet bikes.” He just said “Thanks” and then the guy he was with kept trying to start a fight with me the rest of the night. I’m thinking they must have been landscapers.
Doddy
9/11/2019 5:22pm
I always ride solo, but when I go to the track or race the family usually comes. Good thing too.........4 weeks ago I broke my ankle. I don't know how I would of been able to deal with that alone.

"What happens if I crash??", really takes the sails out of some trips. I'm not really scared of being hurt...it's the getting home or what happens to my bike/truck part if I do.
brocster
9/11/2019 7:02pm
Back in Louisiana I hardly ever rode alone, was always with a group of 5 to 10 most weekends. On the rare occasions that no one else could make it I would still go as the scene in Louisiana is so small I knew most everyone and they wouldn’t hesitate to help me out in the event something happened.

When I first moved here to Ca. my wife and stepdaughter would always go with me and my son sometimes as well. I got broke up pretty bad close to two years ago and now that my stepdaughter is older and no longer rides I have no one to go with unless my son is in town with no prior obligations.

I am not too keen on showing up alone and dropping responsibility on someone else that I randomly park next to, to help or tend to my shit if something happens. I’ve had it done and its not a good feeling to watch a guy get hauled off as he asks me to load his bike and lock his shit in the cab and he would get someone to take care of it. I took me a half hour or so to actually pull off leaving this dudes $8k motorcycle unlocked in the back of his truck basically alone in the pits. I told the gate person on the way out but his shit should not have been their responsibility either. I am a very helpful person but it should be my choice to help and not forced or expected to help because I parked next to you.

In saying that I have been ready to ride for a few months now but won’t go alone. I have been out to the tracks to spectate and try to meet people but haven’t really met anyone and spent enough time with them to line up a ride. I don’t push the issue for the sake of “making friends” just to ride.

All that being said, I should be out with my son in the next few weeks and when he can’t make it I’ll plan to go alone, back down my riding for the day, say hello more and maybe be a little bit more outreaching.

Post a reply to: Social Moto - do you connect with others because of Moto?

The Latest