Social Media/Forums and Pro's

Anyone browsing these boards or with an instagram account is aware of the ability to be negative behind a screen.

Most if not all sx/mx guys, factory and privateer, have social media and some browse these forums. Every thread has a "that guy doesn't deserve a factory ride" comment or on instagram "friese you're a ____" or "Roczen you _____" and the negativity goes on and on.

Critics have always existed. In every sport and on every level. With the internet, the comments are everywhere and insurmountable. I know some riders likely don't run their accounts, but many of them do.

My question is how do they deal with it? Furthermore, do the Vet C riders on these boards and 12 year olds on instagram realize how absurd it is to bully their idols on the web? These guys are humans, after all.
|
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
4/7/2017 8:21am
For the most part they don't read it.

If you notice most times (On Instagram) they don't respond at all or only respond to people that they themselves follow. There are all sorts of different notification settings.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
4/7/2017 8:29am
For the most part they don't read it. If you notice most times (On Instagram) they don't respond at all or only respond to people that...

If you notice most times (On Instagram) they don't respond at all or only respond to people that they themselves follow. There are all sorts of different notification settings.
Do you know the amount of riders that weekly bring up topics to me that they've been torn apart or bashed? They look way more often then they like to admit. Laughing
mmain62
4/7/2017 8:30am
People never fail to amaze me on social media. Its sad but its the world we live in. Everyone has keyboard muscles these days. I love when people try and say that the dude in 22nd place is slow but know for a fact that he would absolutely destroy them any time any place. Seems to be said on here a lot anymore.
TXDirt
4/7/2017 8:42am
For the most part they don't read it. If you notice most times (On Instagram) they don't respond at all or only respond to people that...

ML512 wrote:
Do you know the amount of riders that weekly bring up topics to me that they've been torn apart or bashed? They look way more often...
Do you know the amount of riders that weekly bring up topics to me that they've been torn apart or bashed? They look way more often then they like to admit. Laughing
Ask Barcia and Reed if they have seen the video!! Woohoo

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
54th
4/7/2017 8:44am
TXDirt wrote:
Ask Barcia and Reed if they have seen the video!! :woohoo:
Ask Barcia and Reed if they have seen the video!! Woohoo
I would guess that Justin has, not sure about Chad though...
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
4/7/2017 8:52am
ML512 wrote:
Do you know the amount of riders that weekly bring up topics to me that they've been torn apart or bashed? They look way more often...
I was more talking about Instagram. It makes Vitals bashing look like a children's book.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
4/7/2017 8:56am
I was more talking about Instagram. It makes Vitals bashing look like a children's book.
So very true...but even then there are a few riders who definitely need to stop reading their own comment sections on IG. A few years ago when AC still had the hype, his comment section was insanely mean! Now that he's the underdog, it's actually improved.
4/7/2017 9:52am
ML512 wrote:
So many incredibly rude and invasive comments on there
Jake_CR250R
4/7/2017 10:58am
It's just stupid people trying to stir up drama. I don't get the whole bashing people you've never met in person thing. There might be riders I don't have a great opinion on, but I probably don't know them well enough to actually say something about it.
OW38B
Fantasy
203rd
4/7/2017 11:03am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2017 12:59pm
The good thing about Social Media/Forums is that it allows everyone to post their thoughts and opinions................................

the bad thing about Social Media/Forums...... is that it allows everyone to post their thoughts and opinions.....
DF313
Fantasy
2460th
4/7/2017 11:09am
and people wonder why we haven't heard from a certain high profile rider for several months...
FWYT
4/7/2017 12:09pm
OW38B wrote:
The [b]good[/b] thing about Social Media/Forums is that it allows everyone to post their thoughts and opinions................................ the [b]bad [/b]thing about Social Media/Forums...... is that it...
The good thing about Social Media/Forums is that it allows everyone to post their thoughts and opinions................................

the bad thing about Social Media/Forums...... is that it allows everyone to post their thoughts and opinions.....
Hahahhahahah!

Exactly what I was going to say.
OW38B
Fantasy
203rd
4/7/2017 1:00pm
OW38B wrote:
The [b]good[/b] thing about Social Media/Forums is that it allows everyone to post their thoughts and opinions................................ the [b]bad [/b]thing about Social Media/Forums...... is that it...

FWYT wrote:
Hahahhahahah!

Exactly what I was going to say.
"Great minds think alike"
4/7/2017 1:15pm
If you're thin skinned and have a fragile ego like alot on the net, get off the net.

KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
4/7/2017 1:51pm
Without knowing each person in social media and forums personally, it's hard to say if the rants are really reflective of the person behind it or just an artifact of social media where people will say something they would never say to their face.
I still feel the forums are more civilized than the average person I sit next to at a supercross.
Flip109
4/7/2017 2:00pm
Instagram should have a thing to turn off comments. The stuff on there is insane. I mean we live in a day and age where teens are doing Facebook live suicides and shit. Talking shit to their heros on Instagram for attention is child's play. Nothing is to far fetched now. People have just gone insane with the interwebs!
4/7/2017 2:14pm
DF313 wrote:
and people wonder why we haven't heard from a certain high profile rider for several months...
I saw people saying extremely rude things about his son...a newborn baby. Insane.
Acidreamer
4/7/2017 2:24pm
Not to be a dick but if youre getting butthurt over things people say on the internet then dont get on it. The internet is a giant joke and nobody gets it
4/7/2017 2:38pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Not to be a dick but if youre getting butthurt over things people say on the internet then dont get on it. The internet is a...
Not to be a dick but if youre getting butthurt over things people say on the internet then dont get on it. The internet is a giant joke and nobody gets it
Or if you can't add anything informational or otherwise positive to a conversation, you should rethink telling a person who has worked their entire life to race motorcycles, partially for your viewing pleasure, what they're doing wrong as if your opinion has any validity.
4/7/2017 3:50pm
DF313 wrote:
I saw people saying extremely rude things about his son...a newborn baby. Insane.
Not sure what rider, but if you bring your family, kid or any of that on the podium, or put them on social media, expect to get blasted.

The smart people keep their personal lives off the net.
Fourth_Floor
4/7/2017 3:54pm
Vital should do their own version of celebrity mean tweets. I forget which late show guy does that but he brings celebrities onto the show and they read ignorant shit that was said about them on social media, its freaking hilarious.
4/7/2017 3:57pm
Flip109 wrote:
Instagram should have a thing to turn off comments. The stuff on there is insane. I mean we live in a day and age where teens...
Instagram should have a thing to turn off comments. The stuff on there is insane. I mean we live in a day and age where teens are doing Facebook live suicides and shit. Talking shit to their heros on Instagram for attention is child's play. Nothing is to far fetched now. People have just gone insane with the interwebs!
Nobody would ever go to the site.
PJ205
4/7/2017 10:11pm
I honestly believe that the majority of them are weirdos that will say or do anything to have a professional athlete respond to them on social media, positively or negatively. It could be a pro responding with curse words then a block and they'd still be floating on cloud 9. Social media reminds me of how strange people can be on the daily.
JB 19
4/7/2017 10:51pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2017 5:36am
You think instagram is bad? Try investing about 10 minutes into YouTube comments when watching some mx related videos. It's like every kid who ever owned a Chinese pitbike thinks he's an insider.
kkawboy14
4/8/2017 5:58am
Riders have a lot of wasted time while traveling, they deal with negativity the same way everyone else does. But one thing about a Pro, they aren't little girls!
4/8/2017 6:47am
Do yourself a favor - stop using social media. It's making you all very, very stupid.
Your comment and many of your others are a case in point for this thread, and even your own post. If my reply is over your head, don't worry, we know.
4/8/2017 12:06pm
ML512 wrote:
So very true...but even then there are a few riders who definitely need to stop reading their own comment sections on IG. A few years ago...
So very true...but even then there are a few riders who definitely need to stop reading their own comment sections on IG. A few years ago when AC still had the hype, his comment section was insanely mean! Now that he's the underdog, it's actually improved.
A while back, I replied on AC's IG...Honest, not bashing, I dare say, constructive criticism. I was shocked when he replied directly back to me (me like a goon..."LOOK, HE replied to ME!! Then showing anyone in the vicinity that would look...Whistling ) It was an honest, mature, and thoughtful rebuttal/retort...He won me over and I've been a big fan ever since!

Post a reply to: Social Media/Forums and Pro's

The Latest