Social Distancing

KDXGarage
3/16/2020 3:31pm
It was mentioned that some masks from 3M and Honeywell were going to be categorized as "legal" or "authorized" for medical use. This was going to help the mask shortage for health care workers. I don't know the details. Thanks.
C.Worthy
3/16/2020 3:49pm
Ebs wrote:
If masks don't work then why are they worried about health care works having an adequate supply of them?

They may have a shortage of a specific type of mask used for airborne type of spread. An N95 which is used when treating someone with a respiratory infection like tuberculosis. I've had to use them around TB patients and I haven't gotten TB although I've worked with people who have contracted it using an N95 (could have been user error). Regular surgical type masks won't do a thing in this scenario for either there patient or surrounding people.

Also, you have to be adequately fitted for an N95 mask which is why EMS personnel are tested yearly during a "fit test". If the public were to buy N95 masks from the store or Amazon (IF any are left) they may not have the correct size and not create a tight enough seal to help them against coronavirus.

The Shop

garagedog
Fantasy
722nd
3/16/2020 4:04pm
I stay atleast 6 feet and avoid public places even when there isn't an epidemic. The general public are gross slobs.
KennyT wrote:
No shit! The DMV and urgent care facilities look like the Zombie apocalypse, and that was well before the CNN-19 virus
.... also walmart
austin_bo
Fantasy
228th
3/16/2020 4:33pm

Rode my local pit without a soul in sight yesterday. Not a bad way to achieve social distancing. Brap on my dudes, this too shall pass.
Rawly
3/16/2020 10:28pm
Sad part is if social distancing actually stops this virus from spreading and we get back to our normal life’s , the non believers will say that this virus was nothing and we should have never been isolating ourselves.
3/17/2020 2:41am
opyguy wrote:
My wife works at the biggest hospital in Boston, over the weekend they were told to do their best to buy as much protective eyewear and...
My wife works at the biggest hospital in Boston, over the weekend they were told to do their best to buy as much protective eyewear and protective masks as possible they have at best about a one week supply . Obviously there were no face mask around but I was able to pick up 100 eyewear.
I know a lot of people think this is all bullshit I kind of did three weeks ago as well but really all they are trying to do is flatten the curve to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed when talking about “social distancing“
100% correct.

This bug results in about 10-15x more people needing critical care. That means ICU beds. The virus is going to run its course. What we HAVE to do is make sure that "course" is 2,3,4 years....not 2,3,4 MONTHS.

IF we have approximately 1M+ people infected at any one time, then we are faced with a systemic failure of our hospital system. We will have 50,000 ICU beds sucked up by critically ill patients.

Think that does not affect you because you are fit and will not get sick? Guess again. When you ball up your 450 and need critical care. When your kids get broadsided by a drunk and they need critical care...what is going to happen when there are NO ICU BEDS AVAILABLE because we did not slow this thing down.

But we need to slow it down without crushing the whole economy, and the functioning of society. That means TESTING. Not just of people who have symptoms...but everyone.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4382nd
3/17/2020 5:59am
peelout wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/03/16/410791/s1200_SD.jpg[/img]

Payup_199
3/17/2020 6:33am
I've been practicing social distancing myself from people for many years already. I'm going to ACE this government test.
3/24/2020 7:27pm
It's been less than 2 weeks since we heard "social distancing" on the news and I'm already sick of hearing it. It's all you hear anywhere you go out here in CA. This phrase is going to be part of the new norm of every flu season.

I know there are many of you who live in rural areas and are living a normal life, but this is getting crazy out here. They think it might last another 8 weeks. People are tired of being cooped up after 8 days...
hamncheeze
3/24/2020 8:56pm
It's been less than 2 weeks since we heard "social distancing" on the news and I'm already sick of hearing it. It's all you hear anywhere...
It's been less than 2 weeks since we heard "social distancing" on the news and I'm already sick of hearing it. It's all you hear anywhere you go out here in CA. This phrase is going to be part of the new norm of every flu season.

I know there are many of you who live in rural areas and are living a normal life, but this is getting crazy out here. They think it might last another 8 weeks. People are tired of being cooped up after 8 days...
Yes and sadly the over-promotion of social distancing will eventually cause information fatigue from the masses trying to maintain it. The media did a good job of promoting it, now they need to shut up about it. Yes we have some places and pockets not doing a good job (beaches, certain mountain areas here in BC) but overall I am seeing people get on board. Problem is that this won't be the 2-3 week thing that most of the public thinks it will be. It will be months to reduce the impact and get the COVID19 R0 under 1.0.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9…

I'm not fully on board with all of the closures of public spaces. People are off work, at home and bored. They want to get outside. If we are not going to be fully locked down and enforced by police/military, people are going to go out. Reducing space seems to just cram people more and more into the desirable open areas. What a crazy time.

3/25/2020 4:18am
It's been less than 2 weeks since we heard "social distancing" on the news and I'm already sick of hearing it. It's all you hear anywhere...

People keep making that statement about being cooped up like it’s supposed to matter. Everybody needs to suck it up and deal with it. This isn’t the governments fault.

Post a reply to: Social Distancing

The Latest