Social Distance Day Rides

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
Edited Date/Time 3/23/2020 2:15am
Did a spur of the moment trail ride Friday. Looks like day rides and dual sporting are going to be the go to 2 wheeled activity with all the tracks closed and races cancelled. No more than 10 in a group, 6 feet apart. Here's a little clip of our ride yesterday. Me following my laid off friend and his out of school son.
|
Ted722
3/21/2020 10:28am
Going riding and getting some moto therapy tomorrow. Cool stuff sumdood! 👍
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
3/21/2020 10:28am
ps. I know it's a trail ride video and probably boring, but being bored seems to be the norm for the time being. Laughing
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
3/21/2020 10:32am
I’m getting out on my street bike tomorrow.
It’s a very good thing to look forward to with what’s going on. Once your on a bike any negative thoughts go right away
TPforsale
3/21/2020 10:36am
Be safe, if you guys get hurt you’re taking valuable supplies at our care centers. Supplies some people may need to live.

The Shop

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
3/21/2020 11:05am
TPforsale wrote:
Be safe, if you guys get hurt you’re taking valuable supplies at our care centers. Supplies some people may need to live.
Yeah thanks. Nice screen name, did you join a moto site to talk about moto stuff or push an agenda ? Asking for a friend
Chance1216
3/21/2020 11:06am
I’m waiting for riding areas to open in Washington state. Counting down till May 1st. Dying to crack that throttle open. I’m almost ready to spin some laps around the tree in my backyard. Trail riding is way better then no riding sumdood. Glad you got out.
3/21/2020 11:07am
TPforsale wrote:
sumdood wrote:
Yeah thanks. Nice screen name, did you join a moto site to talk about moto stuff or push an agenda ? Asking for a friend
This "agenda" of theirs is very sound advice. Live a little but also be considerate of your community.
Chance1216
3/21/2020 11:14am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2020 11:40am
TPforsale wrote:
That’s a Chance, I’m sure we’re all willing to take responsibly.
TPforsale
3/21/2020 12:00pm
TPforsale wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
Fair enough but my “agenda” asks, is it responsible to take that chance? My opinion is no. We have a duty as Humans to do what’s best for humans right now, not what’s best for you or I.

And sumdood, I’ve joined for both. So again, be safe
Xeno
3/21/2020 12:07pm
I've been riding Ocotillo Wells for decades and I'm convinced that I'm more likely to sustain an injury at the hands of an irresponsible driver/texter/facebooker.

*rant over LOL
Natester551v
3/21/2020 7:47pm
TPforsale wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
TPforsale wrote:
Fair enough but my “agenda” asks, is it responsible to take that chance? My opinion is no. We have a duty as Humans to do what’s...
Fair enough but my “agenda” asks, is it responsible to take that chance? My opinion is no. We have a duty as Humans to do what’s best for humans right now, not what’s best for you or I.

And sumdood, I’ve joined for both. So again, be safe
Nice virtue signaling...

go Sumdood...ride on...
NeedMoto
3/21/2020 7:58pm
That was kick-ass! Thanks for posting!
kijen
3/21/2020 8:27pm
Xeno wrote:
I've been riding Ocotillo Wells for decades and I'm convinced that I'm more likely to sustain an injury at the hands of an irresponsible driver/texter/facebooker. *rant...
I've been riding Ocotillo Wells for decades and I'm convinced that I'm more likely to sustain an injury at the hands of an irresponsible driver/texter/facebooker.

*rant over LOL
Exactly, yeah this sucks...but we accept a bunch of other shit that kills more people. I do understand the logic, but call me a cynic, we are not gonna contain this. Go a head and bash, but if you do, i assume you were doing something about the flu, texting, dui too. And yes im following our state, city rules regardless of my opinion.
Sully
3/21/2020 9:28pm
That was a fun watch. I really miss Octotillo Wells. Riding those ridge lines is so much fun.
3/21/2020 11:26pm
Mine was of a slightly different flavor... Ended up in the snow on Sunrise Highway... didn't dress warm enough that's for sure. Had to stop every 10 minutes to thaw my frozen fingers in the exhaust stream. There were hundreds of people playing in the snow and enjoying themselves. Wouldn't change a thing about the day...

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
3/22/2020 11:03am
Mine was of a slightly different flavor... Ended up in the snow on Sunrise Highway... didn't dress warm enough that's for sure. Had to stop every...
Mine was of a slightly different flavor... Ended up in the snow on Sunrise Highway... didn't dress warm enough that's for sure. Had to stop every 10 minutes to thaw my frozen fingers in the exhaust stream. There were hundreds of people playing in the snow and enjoying themselves. Wouldn't change a thing about the day...

I bet your right leg was warm though Laughing I know very little about Harleys, Is that an old one, or a new one meant to look old, or koostum built ? My neighbor is an old school biker harley guy. he's one of the best neighbors I've had (even though some of the old snobby folks around here don't... "appreciate" him as much as we do) The only harley I ever rode was his about 40 years ago Blink (He was my neighbor when we were living in apartments, and then 20 years later wound up with houses 3 doors apart). Anyway I asked what year his harley was, he got a big smile and said "Every year ! Want to ride it" ? So I get on it and there's no levers, huh ? Oh it's a suicide rocker clutch, the clutch is this floorboard thing that rocks back and forth, and the shifter is this handle that sticks up like one of those ratfink models. There's no front brake but the back brake works good. Ok coolio so I figured out how to get it going, get to the top of the street (uphill) then figure out I can't stop because with one foot on the clutch and one on the brake there's nothing left for the ground, FUCK ! Blew through the stop out onto El Camino Real, luckily no ones was coming, I went around the block, got off of it feeling lucky to be alive, and that was the extent of my harley experience. He didn't get off so lucky when he tried my atc 110 with thongs on, first turn up on 2 wheels, leg out, under back tire, and then a hamburgered foot. Laughing Anyway that's my Harley story. Whats the story with yours ?
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
3/22/2020 11:46am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2020 11:47am
sumdood wrote:
Did a spur of the moment trail ride Friday. Looks like day rides and dual sporting are going to be the go to 2 wheeled activity...
Did a spur of the moment trail ride Friday. Looks like day rides and dual sporting are going to be the go to 2 wheeled activity with all the tracks closed and races cancelled. No more than 10 in a group, 6 feet apart. Here's a little clip of our ride yesterday. Me following my laid off friend and his out of school son.
Well, that looked like a whole lotta fun. Nice!
3/22/2020 11:51am
sumdood wrote:
I bet your right leg was warm though :laugh: I know very little about Harleys, Is that an old one, or a new one meant to...
I bet your right leg was warm though Laughing I know very little about Harleys, Is that an old one, or a new one meant to look old, or koostum built ? My neighbor is an old school biker harley guy. he's one of the best neighbors I've had (even though some of the old snobby folks around here don't... "appreciate" him as much as we do) The only harley I ever rode was his about 40 years ago Blink (He was my neighbor when we were living in apartments, and then 20 years later wound up with houses 3 doors apart). Anyway I asked what year his harley was, he got a big smile and said "Every year ! Want to ride it" ? So I get on it and there's no levers, huh ? Oh it's a suicide rocker clutch, the clutch is this floorboard thing that rocks back and forth, and the shifter is this handle that sticks up like one of those ratfink models. There's no front brake but the back brake works good. Ok coolio so I figured out how to get it going, get to the top of the street (uphill) then figure out I can't stop because with one foot on the clutch and one on the brake there's nothing left for the ground, FUCK ! Blew through the stop out onto El Camino Real, luckily no ones was coming, I went around the block, got off of it feeling lucky to be alive, and that was the extent of my harley experience. He didn't get off so lucky when he tried my atc 110 with thongs on, first turn up on 2 wheels, leg out, under back tire, and then a hamburgered foot. Laughing Anyway that's my Harley story. Whats the story with yours ?
Damn....your friend with the suicide clutch/etc....they don't call those "suicide" for nothin. He was nuts letting you out on the road with it...they are very dangerous especially without any practice. I would not ride one myself!

On to my bike, you are correct...no cold issues on the right side!

My bike looks old....but is actually a 2009 Softail Crossbones...basically HD's factory "bobber" that I customized myself. Started out life looking like this off the showroom floor.

A bobber is described as where many "non-essential" parts have been removed. I removed more than HD did...lol. I've always loved the old HD springers and when this model came out, I fell in love with it. It had so much customizing potential. Harley has discontinued any future Springer models due to the front braking being incompatible with ABS. ...and I'm here to say the single puck front disc absolutely sucks. But, it's not a big deal as this is not a speed demon bike....it's for cruising. The floorboards make for terrible lean angles....but it's not a canyon carver either. Again, it's a cruiser. It has it's "performance" shortcomings...but it is an absolute blast to ride and despite it's look, it's actually very comfortable to ride.

I'm not your typical "Harley" rider....I'm not brand loyal. I don't do the leather-clad pirate thing. Nothing Harley makes since discontinuing the Springers interests me. It's been very reliable, I've had little trouble with it. I will keep this bike forever though.

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
3/22/2020 2:28pm
Damn....your friend with the suicide clutch/etc....they don't call those "suicide" for nothin. He was nuts letting you out on the road with it...they are very dangerous...
Damn....your friend with the suicide clutch/etc....they don't call those "suicide" for nothin. He was nuts letting you out on the road with it...they are very dangerous especially without any practice. I would not ride one myself!

My bike looks old....but is actually a 2009 Softail Crossbones...basically HD's factory "bobber" that I customized myself. Started out life looking like this off the showroom floor.

A bobber is described as where many "non-essential" parts have been removed. I removed more than HD did...lol. I've always loved the old HD springers and when this model came out, I fell in love with it. It had so much customizing potential. Harley has discontinued any future Springer models due to the front braking being incompatible with ABS. ...and I'm here to say the single puck front disc absolutely sucks. But, it's not a big deal as this is not a speed demon bike....it's for cruising. The floorboards make for terrible lean angles....but it's not a canyon carver either. Again, it's a cruiser. It has it's "performance" shortcomings...but it is an absolute blast to ride and despite it's look, it's actually very comfortable to ride.

I'm not your typical "Harley" rider....I'm not brand loyal. I don't do the leather-clad pirate thing. Nothing Harley makes since discontinuing the Springers interests me. It's been very reliable, I've had little trouble with it. I will keep this bike forever though.

Oh you mean you don't wear Harley socks and harley shoes and a harley belt and harley boots and a harley headband and a harley jacket and harley gloves and........ Laughing Your bike looks way better than the stocker.
Sometimes my wife and I will ride to Cooks corner or hell's kitchen for lunch, me on my EXC500 and her on her XT250. Our bikes look a little out of place in the parking lot Laughing
biondo
3/22/2020 3:02pm
sumdood wrote:
Did a spur of the moment trail ride Friday. Looks like day rides and dual sporting are going to be the go to 2 wheeled activity...
Great clip! We rode mountain bikes 🚵‍♂️near Borrego beautiful day out there!!
Plan on getting out this week on the new Rmz Stay Safe!!🤠
Sully
3/22/2020 5:41pm
sumdood wrote:
I bet your right leg was warm though :laugh: I know very little about Harleys, Is that an old one, or a new one meant to...
Damn....your friend with the suicide clutch/etc....they don't call those "suicide" for nothin. He was nuts letting you out on the road with it...they are very dangerous...

"...your friend with the suicide clutch/etc....they don't call those "suicide" for nothin. "

I went to the Sturgis rally in '86 with my dad, and there was a couple of lunatics drag racing suicide shifts. Their balls to brains ratio was way out of whack, for sure.
Ted722
3/22/2020 6:31pm
Ted722 wrote:
Just as I get to the place I’m going to ride, this comes up on the playlist. 👍 Have a good day gentlemen.
https://youtu.be/f8OHybVhQwc
And it was. Parse the lyrics and Heaven’s Door was a moto track today when I came through the gates. A little mental floss went a long way today.
motomojo
3/22/2020 6:40pm
Private track in AZ open for riding Wed thru the weekend. If you're not locked down by then

3/22/2020 10:53pm
sumdood wrote:
Oh you mean you don't wear Harley socks and harley shoes and a harley belt and harley boots and a harley headband and a harley jacket...
Oh you mean you don't wear Harley socks and harley shoes and a harley belt and harley boots and a harley headband and a harley jacket and harley gloves and........ Laughing Your bike looks way better than the stocker.
Sometimes my wife and I will ride to Cooks corner or hell's kitchen for lunch, me on my EXC500 and her on her XT250. Our bikes look a little out of place in the parking lot Laughing
Yeah that's a negative on the belt,boots, shoes and socks.. I do have some HD T-shirts...but don't wear them when riding it. I don't like being a billboard. I do have a HD Jacket though...liked the military green canvas look. Thanks for the compliment on the bike....it is unique to me.. never liked being a follower.

Nice to have a wife who rides with you...mine...no way...she would be too timid on a bike (though she is a confident lady in everything else). Being timid on the street with 2 wheels is a recipe for disaster.
I've been in the market for a dual-purpose bike....just haven't found the right one yet...and I don't want to spend a bunch either.
3/22/2020 10:55pm
Sully wrote:
[i]"...your friend with the suicide clutch/etc....they don't call those "suicide" for nothin. "[/i] I went to the Sturgis rally in '86 with my dad, and there...
"...your friend with the suicide clutch/etc....they don't call those "suicide" for nothin. "

I went to the Sturgis rally in '86 with my dad, and there was a couple of lunatics drag racing suicide shifts. Their balls to brains ratio was way out of whack, for sure.
Yep... Sturgis...too crazy for me. I don't like to ride around a bunch of alcohol fueled knuckleheads. Though, stupidity on 2 wheels knows no "brand" loyalty.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
3/23/2020 2:15am
Yeah that's a negative on the belt,boots, shoes and socks.. I do have some HD T-shirts...but don't wear them when riding it. I don't like being...
Yeah that's a negative on the belt,boots, shoes and socks.. I do have some HD T-shirts...but don't wear them when riding it. I don't like being a billboard. I do have a HD Jacket though...liked the military green canvas look. Thanks for the compliment on the bike....it is unique to me.. never liked being a follower.

Nice to have a wife who rides with you...mine...no way...she would be too timid on a bike (though she is a confident lady in everything else). Being timid on the street with 2 wheels is a recipe for disaster.
I've been in the market for a dual-purpose bike....just haven't found the right one yet...and I don't want to spend a bunch either.
Yes having a wife that rides is cool, she gets “needing to ride”. Helps us from killing each other too Laughing

Post a reply to: Social Distance Day Rides

The Latest