SoCal tracks affected by water rationing?

Dogman
Edited Date/Time 5/1/2022 8:13am
Sitting In KCMO hoping we don’t get TOO much rain to impact our weekend moto plans, and the news is talking about mandatory water rationing in SoCal.
Could that affect track maintenance in the near future?
Nationals as well as the local scene?🤔
|
LungButter
4/29/2022 8:11am
I'm just here for the "I've lived in SoCal for 87 years, this shit happens all the time, the scientists don't know what they are talking about, this is is all part of the liberal agenda." comments......

Tongue
Wintyfresh
4/29/2022 8:23am
A lot of the tracks around San Diego, at least, are on well water and likely won't be affected.
4/29/2022 8:30am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2022 8:30am
OCgoon1533 wrote:
I doubt we'll see any brown golf courses.... sayin'.
The golf course on the base I work at uses roughly a million gallons a day. Luckily it’s non pot water.

They need to build a track around here, no shortage of water as long as the city keeps the water rights and it doesn’t go somewhere else. The main aquifer used runs at 2000GPM for 20 hours a day. I believe the water level fluctuates between 3-7 feet below what it was 17 years ago

The Shop

TalinH112
4/29/2022 8:36am
I read a report the county of San Diego has enough water in its reservoirs to supply them until 2045 if they never got another drop of rain.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
4/29/2022 9:00am
Most of the tracks are on a well, so I don’t think they will be affected.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/29/2022 9:03am
TalinH112 wrote:
I read a report the county of San Diego has enough water in its reservoirs to supply them until 2045 if they never got another drop...
I read a report the county of San Diego has enough water in its reservoirs to supply them until 2045 if they never got another drop of rain.
I'd like to see that report, because I seriously doubt it. I don't buy into the water emergency BS, but this is a very populous, very dry area. We'd go through the reserves pretty quickly with no rain.

As for the tracks, Riverside county is not affected by the rationing for now, so Perris, Lake Elsinore, Cahuilla and State Fair are all good. Glen Helen and LACR may be affected. Not sure about Pala. Barona Oaks is on a well.
seth419
4/29/2022 9:10am
TalinH112 wrote:
I read a report the county of San Diego has enough water in its reservoirs to supply them until 2045 if they never got another drop...
Can you post a link to that? I believe that statement in the context "without another drop of rain" because it doesn't rain in San Diego, but they get 50% of their water supply to fill those reservoirs from the Colorado River, and that's the river that's drying up...
neysbo
4/29/2022 10:04am
Hearing they will be moved to Millville now that Dungey is back
Mr. Info
4/29/2022 10:50am
Glen Helen is having reclaimed water lines being run to the track because the have been notified of cut backs.
The reclaimed water line was already in the works. The well ran dry years ago because the underground river quit flowing.
Rawly
4/29/2022 11:36am
California tracks with wells will be bummed if the state starts charging per acre foot of water. Right now it’s just the electricity for the pump and well maintenance that have to be paid for in most of our state. A fairly new water sustainability program will most likely eventually put an end to what some consider free water.
hubbardmx50
4/29/2022 12:00pm
Oh boy, another SoCal thread. Can't wait to have some dude from Chicken Licks Nebraska tell how me stupid I am for living here.

As far as the water rationing goes, I hope not. I rode Pala on Sunday and there sure was no shortage of hose water there. There were like 3 dudes absolutely soaking the Vet track all day. I plan on doing a ton of riding and racing this summer so hopefully tracks won't be affected too bad. That's good to hear Glen Helen is working on a solution. We all know they love their water there.

I heard the Coastal Commission was supposed to vote on opening up a new de-salination plant in Huntington Beach last year. Anyone know what happened with that? I also heard they are building a new one in Carlsbad, $922 million dollar project. Hopefully they start building more. I know a couple water desalination plants won't satisfy all of SoCal but they are certainly better than nothing.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
4/29/2022 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2022 12:06pm
Falcon wrote:
I'd like to see that report, because I seriously doubt it. I don't buy into the water emergency BS, but this is a very populous, very...
I'd like to see that report, because I seriously doubt it. I don't buy into the water emergency BS, but this is a very populous, very dry area. We'd go through the reserves pretty quickly with no rain.

As for the tracks, Riverside county is not affected by the rationing for now, so Perris, Lake Elsinore, Cahuilla and State Fair are all good. Glen Helen and LACR may be affected. Not sure about Pala. Barona Oaks is on a well.
What do you mean you "don't buy into the water emergency"?

Precipitation levels in California have been low for a decade. So most of the reservoirs in California are below historic levels. Precipitation has also been low in the areas that feed the Colorado River, so Lake Powell and Lake Mead are way down on their reservoirs.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
4/29/2022 12:15pm
Oh boy, another SoCal thread. Can't wait to have some dude from Chicken Licks Nebraska tell how me stupid I am for living here. As far...
Oh boy, another SoCal thread. Can't wait to have some dude from Chicken Licks Nebraska tell how me stupid I am for living here.

As far as the water rationing goes, I hope not. I rode Pala on Sunday and there sure was no shortage of hose water there. There were like 3 dudes absolutely soaking the Vet track all day. I plan on doing a ton of riding and racing this summer so hopefully tracks won't be affected too bad. That's good to hear Glen Helen is working on a solution. We all know they love their water there.

I heard the Coastal Commission was supposed to vote on opening up a new de-salination plant in Huntington Beach last year. Anyone know what happened with that? I also heard they are building a new one in Carlsbad, $922 million dollar project. Hopefully they start building more. I know a couple water desalination plants won't satisfy all of SoCal but they are certainly better than nothing.
Looks like Carlsbad opened 5 years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_%22Bud%22_Lewis_Carlsbad_Desalinat… It looks like that was privately funded, which is cool.

Huntington Beach has a hearing in 2 weeks: https://www.hbfreshwater.com/
TalinH112
4/29/2022 12:18pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2022 12:18pm
TalinH112 wrote:
Falcon wrote:
I'd like to see that report, because I seriously doubt it. I don't buy into the water emergency BS, but this is a very populous, very...

https://www.cbs8.com/amp/article/news/regional/scorched-earth/san-diego…

Looks like the Colorado River is a large source but through water management, reservoir reconstruction and desalination efforts San Diego is in a pretty sweet spot. I may have embellished a little with the “not a drop of rain” comment.
TalinH112
4/29/2022 12:20pm
Oh boy, another SoCal thread. Can't wait to have some dude from Chicken Licks Nebraska tell how me stupid I am for living here. As far...

Pala can use as much water as they want, they are not regulated by the state or county water authorities as they are located on sovereign land.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
4/29/2022 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2022 12:50pm
TalinH112 wrote:
https://www.cbs8.com/amp/article/news/regional/scorched-earth/san-diego-no-drought-summer/509-97954890-7bd2-453e-a787-a117c08b3eae Looks like the Colorado River is a large source but through water management, reservoir reconstruction and desalination efforts San Diego is in a pretty sweet...

Looks like the Colorado River is a large source but through water management, reservoir reconstruction and desalination efforts San Diego is in a pretty sweet spot. I may have embellished a little with the “not a drop of rain” comment.

What do you mean? Lake Mead and Lake Powell are both at all-time low water levels.

edit: originally your post said "the Colorado River isn't running dry".
TalinH112
4/29/2022 12:27pm
TalinH112 wrote:
https://www.cbs8.com/amp/article/news/regional/scorched-earth/san-diego-no-drought-summer/509-97954890-7bd2-453e-a787-a117c08b3eae Looks like the Colorado River is a large source but through water management, reservoir reconstruction and desalination efforts San Diego is in a pretty sweet...

RichieW13 wrote:
What do you mean? Lake Mead and Lake Powell are both at all-time low water levels. edit: originally your post said "the Colorado River isn't running...

What do you mean? Lake Mead and Lake Powell are both at all-time low water levels.

Neither of which effect San Diego reservoirs already being full. This is not an article I wrote myself, it was quoted directly from the head of San Diego’s water authority.
hubbardmx50
4/29/2022 12:33pm

TalinH112 wrote:
Pala can use as much water as they want, they are not regulated by the state or county water authorities as they are located on sovereign...
Pala can use as much water as they want, they are not regulated by the state or county water authorities as they are located on sovereign land.
Yeah that's what I thought. Looks like I'll be riding there a lot this summer.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
4/29/2022 12:46pm
TalinH112 wrote:

RichieW13 wrote:
What do you mean? Lake Mead and Lake Powell are both at all-time low water levels. edit: originally your post said "the Colorado River isn't running...

TalinH112 wrote:
Neither of which effect San Diego reservoirs already being full. This is not an article I wrote myself, it was quoted directly from the head of...
Neither of which effect San Diego reservoirs already being full. This is not an article I wrote myself, it was quoted directly from the head of San Diego’s water authority.
I guess you changed your post where you said "the Colorado River isn't running dry".
Mr. Info
4/29/2022 12:48pm
Pala can still be regulated to reduce water usage. I did a little research and when it reaches critical levels they have to prioritize there water usage. It was in the words of an agreement from 1908.
TalinH112
4/29/2022 12:50pm
RichieW13 wrote:

TalinH112 wrote:
Neither of which effect San Diego reservoirs already being full. This is not an article I wrote myself, it was quoted directly from the head of...
RichieW13 wrote:
I guess you changed your post where you said "the Colorado River isn't running dry".
Yes I did edit it but not because it was false, I just didn’t want to reply that to Falcon since it wasn’t in his post it was in the one below his.
TalinH112
4/29/2022 12:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2022 12:54pm
RichieW13 wrote:

TalinH112 wrote:
RichieW13 wrote:
Does the river have low flow years? Yes. Will I run dry? No. Is the western part of the US experiencing a drought? Most certainly, but San Diego has obviously found a way to manage those tough drought years extremely well. At least until 2045 which is what my original post indicated.
TalinH112
4/29/2022 1:01pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Pala can still be regulated to reduce water usage. I did a little research and when it reaches critical levels they have to prioritize there water...
Pala can still be regulated to reduce water usage. I did a little research and when it reaches critical levels they have to prioritize there water usage. It was in the words of an agreement from 1908.
I guess you’re only as sovereign as Uncle Sam will allow you to be! 😂
Mr. Info
4/29/2022 1:07pm
They will be fine. They have some agriculture they have to take care of first but they can reduce that some and plenty of other water to use.
Titan1
4/29/2022 1:28pm
CA needs to start desalinating water at a rapid rate...its crazy they are right next to an ocean, and rely so much on the CO river.

If CA was weened off of-or drastically reduced its dependency on-the CO river, all the sudden the future of that river changes drastically. As it is...not enough water falls from the sky to provide water to all the people moving to the deserts in the western US....Time to start using the ocean for anyone next to it...
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
4/29/2022 3:09pm
80% of all water used in Ca. is for agriculture... not residential.
vetmxr
4/29/2022 6:00pm

I've never said anything even remotely like that......
250 cross
4/29/2022 6:07pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Glen Helen is having reclaimed water lines being run to the track because the have been notified of cut backs. The reclaimed water line was already...
Glen Helen is having reclaimed water lines being run to the track because the have been notified of cut backs.
The reclaimed water line was already in the works. The well ran dry years ago because the underground river quit flowing.
What is "reclaimed water"? Where does that come from. I live in Michigan and have my own well so I really don't know. thanks
183Matt
Fantasy
1637th
4/29/2022 6:13pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Glen Helen is having reclaimed water lines being run to the track because the have been notified of cut backs. The reclaimed water line was already...
250 cross wrote:
What is "reclaimed water"? Where does that come from. I live in Michigan and have my own well so I really don't know. thanks
It means waste water that was treated to a certain level, but not safe to drink.

Post a reply to: SoCal tracks affected by water rationing?

The Latest