6/29/2022 2:23 PM

Bigoldbeef wrote:

That drz400 photo has to be photoshop

Please don’t disrespect The Factory Spectator like that

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

6/29/2022 2:34 PM

Meister wrote:

The leap is stupid right now. Landing is so tall it's sketch. If you land on top and bounce off, you're dropping out of the ...more

The leap isn’t built for vet riders so I don’t understand why you’re calling it stupid and dangerous.

|

6/29/2022 2:44 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Can-Can pic is Brian Swink.

Thanks, Mavsmile

|

6/29/2022 2:47 PM

Project 2501 wrote:

interesting. I love it when that's the case. Or a jump that was never met to be a jump until a Stewart or other person decides ...more

“Stewart “ hahahaha… that’s cute.

Look farther back in the history books my friend.

|

A grown-up who will NEVER down-vote you, no matter what you say.

Go on- show the world you're a powerful S.O.B and hit that downvote button! You're such a badass! :-)

6/29/2022 2:53 PM

Bigoldbeef wrote:

That drz400 photo has to be photoshop

its not. i was there that day. i still cant believe they let him run practice on that thing. he cleared it just fine tho. he knew what he was doing

|

6/29/2022 2:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2022 3:00 PM

tek14 wrote:

What is point to have jump that no-one can jump?

Project 2501 wrote:

interesting. I love it when that's the case. Or a jump that was never met to be a jump until a Stewart or other person decides ...more

Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

the great thing about using an example is you can reference one from yesterday or two hundred years ago and both serve as examples.

I find in most industry using a popular and recent example is easier when speaking to a mixed audience. I recognize from your post, you may choose to reference the earliest example of an event. Both are functiona methods that can accomplish the same ending.
If your intent is to stress to this thread that it's "Larocco's leap" then understood. But I wasn't referring to the leap as the only example. Just a general comment on my favorite track obstacles.

If after all of that I'm still unable to enjoy track challenges or discuss them, I'll let my family know that I've let them all down.

-chris.

|

6/29/2022 4:39 PM

Meister wrote:

The leap is stupid right now. Landing is so tall it's sketch. If you land on top and bounce off, you're dropping out of the ...more

aeffertz wrote:

The leap isn’t built for vet riders so I don’t understand why you’re calling it stupid and dangerous.

Well... Because it is? It's dangerous for anyone. Not just vet riders. I have no problem not hitting jumps these days. Lol

|

6/29/2022 4:53 PM

Meister wrote:

Well... Because it is? It's dangerous for anyone. Not just vet riders. I have no problem not hitting jumps these days. Lol

Riding a dirt bike is dangerous. As far as big jumps go, the leap is actually pretty safe all things considered.

|

6/29/2022 4:56 PM

tek14 wrote:

Project 2501 wrote:

They call it Laroccos Leap for a reason. Mike in part designed it. Tim liked Mike,s big jump at his house called King Kong. So Mike worked with Tim to build Laroccos leap. Mike was the 1st to jump it. They had 1 of his kx125 broken wheels in the building on the bottom of the hill. Emig had his shift bus setup there signing autographs. Fro had the beasty boys playing , good vibes.

|

6/29/2022 5:12 PM

Tomac 2017 moto 2. Not bad for a iPhone 7 lol
Photo

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

6/29/2022 6:54 PM

Full seat bounce DR style
RIP

|

6/29/2022 9:54 PM

Reading comprehension never was your strong suit

|

6/29/2022 10:06 PM

tek14 wrote:

Project 2501 wrote:

LaRocco's Leap. He jumped it on a 125.

|

6/30/2022 6:27 AM

tek14 wrote:

Project 2501 wrote:

Radical wrote:

But didn’t he have to go off track in order to clear it? If I remember correctly he did. Still the first badass guy on a 125 to do it tho. Stew was hitting it while still on track. Hard to say how much the run up has changed from time to time too

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1982 Chevy S10

6/30/2022 6:57 AM

Project 2501 wrote:

Radical wrote:

eric513anderson wrote:

But didn’t he have to go off track in order to clear it? If I remember correctly he did. Still the first badass guy on a 125 ...more

Larocco did it mid-moto

|

6/30/2022 7:00 AM

Radical wrote:

eric513anderson wrote:

But didn’t he have to go off track in order to clear it? If I remember correctly he did. Still the first badass guy on a 125 ...more

Johnny Ringo wrote:

Larocco did it mid-moto

Red Bud wasn't a "sand" track at that point and If memory serves me they had a little more run at it back then. I wish they wouldn't till the dirt so deep and had left some of the hardpack in places.

|

6/30/2022 7:03 AM

eric513anderson wrote:

Johnny Ringo wrote:

Larocco did it mid-moto

motomike137 wrote:

Red Bud wasn't a "sand" track at that point and If memory serves me they had a little more run at it back then. I wish they ...more

Yep. All our national tracks are too similar in prep and soil now.

|

6/30/2022 7:06 AM

aeffertz wrote:

Meister wrote:

soggy wrote:

Riding a dirt bike is dangerous. As far as big jumps go, the leap is actually pretty safe all things considered.

Nice card to play. But, I'll bite.

It used to be relatively safe. Huge and took commitment, but safe. I lived it. I've come up short, and I've gone long, all on the previous version. 04 the challenge came from 50 truck loads of sand before it. I only jumped it once that year on a full mod 450. Came up short, but didn't die. Now if you do that, you're legit F'd.. The landing is tall and relatively steep. If you bounce off the top you're taking a very fast drop right into a G'd out bottom, likely nose down..

Unless you have ridden over it during both eras I'm referencing, you won't understand. If you have ridden it, we can agree to disagree! Go hit it! 3rd tapped. It's safe.

|

6/30/2022 7:22 AM

Meister wrote:

soggy wrote:

Meister wrote:

It used to be relatively safe. Huge and took commitment, but safe. I lived it. I've come ...more

It's a jump built on a Pro level national track, for get this.. Pro riders. Vet and Amateurs riders should be intimidated by it.

I bet you would say they same thing about a Supercross triple.. dangerous as hell. For vets & am riders, yes. For pros, no.

|

6/30/2022 7:25 AM

Its easy to say a jump is safe when you've never have hit or probobly seen it in person.

|

6/30/2022 7:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/30/2022 7:27 AM

Project 2501 wrote:

Radical wrote:

eric513anderson wrote:

No. LaRocco did it during the race in 1992, (on a 125) the first year the jump was built...

|

6/30/2022 7:32 AM

Robbirob25 wrote:

No. LaRocco did it during the race in 1992, (on a 125) the first year the jump was built...

I have pictures of it from 91 and the first 125 to clear it in race or race practice was Guy Cooper. Jeff Ward was at the bottom of the hill sitting on his bike with his gloves off eyeing it up when Cooper sent it.

|

Florida Trail Riders Area 4 Director
Volusia/Flagler Counties

6/30/2022 7:32 AM

fourfourone wrote:

Its easy to say a jump is safe when you've never have hit or probobly seen it in person.

Fair enough, but I'm not a professional racer, so my opinion doesn't really matter does it?

Until I see a quote from any of the guys on entry list for the weekend say it's not safe, I'll reserve my judgement.

|

6/30/2022 7:37 AM

I thought Bailey was the first to clear that distance on a 500 . Not sure what it looked like back then though.

|

6/30/2022 8:04 AM

Radical wrote:

eric513anderson wrote:

Johnny Ringo wrote:

Larocco did it mid-moto

Guess I’m wrong then lol

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1982 Chevy S10

6/30/2022 8:59 AM

soggy wrote:

Meister wrote:

It used to be relatively safe. Huge and took commitment, but safe. I lived it. I've come ...more

scootch wrote:

It's a jump built on a Pro level national track, for get this.. Pro riders. Vet and Amateurs riders should be intimidated by ...more

No. I would still hit a pro SX triple. Lol..

You're kinda missing the point.. There is definitely a higher percentage of "PROS" they won't hit it (intimidated, perhaps?) than there are that will. Make it so more pros hit it! Simple.

|

6/30/2022 10:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/30/2022 11:14 AM

Some vet rider just hit it, seems doable

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Chad Reed (@crtwotwo)

|

6/30/2022 11:02 AM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

I thought Bailey was the first to clear that distance on a 500 . Not sure what it looked like back then though.

Didn't exist then.

|

6/30/2022 11:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/30/2022 11:07 AM

eric513anderson wrote:

Robbirob25 wrote:

McG194 wrote:

I have pictures of it from 91 and the first 125 to clear it in race or race practice was Guy Cooper. Jeff Ward was at the ...more

The first year they had it we were camped right next to the track at the base of the thing near the corner. We hadn't seen anyone jump it yet and around comes Chicken on his 250 Kaw in practice. He pulls to a stop right in front of us and eyes the thing up spins around and back tracks a little ways. He comes through the left hander full song and upshifts and sends it and we were like HOLY SHEET!!!!!

|