So, will the Leap be doable this year?

aeffertz
6/29/2022 2:34pm
Meister wrote:
The leap is stupid right now. Landing is so tall it's sketch. If you land on top and bounce off, you're dropping out of the sky...
The leap is stupid right now. Landing is so tall it's sketch. If you land on top and bounce off, you're dropping out of the sky likely into some broken limbs. At vet fest last year only Kelly Smith and one other dude were hitting it. I've jumped it but I knew on my first lap of practice that it was NOT something I was going to do. A few times I "pretended" to set up for it, got a killer rail on the outside line and soaked up the single well.. Still not a chance I was holding her wide off that thing like I did nearly 20 years ago lol... Id still do it if it were the same jump 02-03 era.. After they added sand it went downhill.. 2000 was maybe my favorite year with the double triple in the middle then double step up right after it. 2000 also had the turning table still. I went 1-1-1 at my regional that year and honestly didn't even see the leap as a jump. Went back in 02 on my fresh crf450 and hit it nearly every lap. I believe that was also the first year for the whoops..

Make red bud great again and give us an old layout! The middle is a little stale these days. Looking forward to vet fest again this year.
The leap isn’t built for vet riders so I don’t understand why you’re calling it stupid and dangerous.
6/29/2022 2:47pm
interesting. I love it when that's the case. Or a jump that was never met to be a jump until a Stewart or other person decides...
interesting. I love it when that's the case. Or a jump that was never met to be a jump until a Stewart or other person decides it is. Highlight reel stuff that makes moto so fun to watch.
“Stewart “ hahahaha… that’s cute.

Look farther back in the history books my friend.

The Shop

levimx22
Fantasy
2202nd
6/29/2022 2:53pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
That drz400 photo has to be photoshop
its not. i was there that day. i still cant believe they let him run practice on that thing. he cleared it just fine tho. he knew what he was doing
Project 2501
Fantasy
394th
6/29/2022 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2022 3:00pm
interesting. I love it when that's the case. Or a jump that was never met to be a jump until a Stewart or other person decides...
interesting. I love it when that's the case. Or a jump that was never met to be a jump until a Stewart or other person decides it is. Highlight reel stuff that makes moto so fun to watch.

the great thing about using an example is you can reference one from yesterday or two hundred years ago and both serve as examples.

I find in most industry using a popular and recent example is easier when speaking to a mixed audience. I recognize from your post, you may choose to reference the earliest example of an event. Both are functiona methods that can accomplish the same ending.
If your intent is to stress to this thread that it's "Larocco's leap" then understood. But I wasn't referring to the leap as the only example. Just a general comment on my favorite track obstacles.

If after all of that I'm still unable to enjoy track challenges or discuss them, I'll let my family know that I've let them all down.

-chris.
Meister
6/29/2022 4:39pm
Meister wrote:
The leap is stupid right now. Landing is so tall it's sketch. If you land on top and bounce off, you're dropping out of the sky...
The leap is stupid right now. Landing is so tall it's sketch. If you land on top and bounce off, you're dropping out of the sky likely into some broken limbs. At vet fest last year only Kelly Smith and one other dude were hitting it. I've jumped it but I knew on my first lap of practice that it was NOT something I was going to do. A few times I "pretended" to set up for it, got a killer rail on the outside line and soaked up the single well.. Still not a chance I was holding her wide off that thing like I did nearly 20 years ago lol... Id still do it if it were the same jump 02-03 era.. After they added sand it went downhill.. 2000 was maybe my favorite year with the double triple in the middle then double step up right after it. 2000 also had the turning table still. I went 1-1-1 at my regional that year and honestly didn't even see the leap as a jump. Went back in 02 on my fresh crf450 and hit it nearly every lap. I believe that was also the first year for the whoops..

Make red bud great again and give us an old layout! The middle is a little stale these days. Looking forward to vet fest again this year.
aeffertz wrote:
The leap isn’t built for vet riders so I don’t understand why you’re calling it stupid and dangerous.
Well... Because it is? It's dangerous for anyone. Not just vet riders. I have no problem not hitting jumps these days. Lol

soggy
Fantasy
3857th
6/29/2022 4:53pm
Meister wrote:
Well... Because it is? It's dangerous for anyone. Not just vet riders. I have no problem not hitting jumps these days. Lol

Riding a dirt bike is dangerous. As far as big jumps go, the leap is actually pretty safe all things considered.
6/29/2022 4:56pm

They call it Laroccos Leap for a reason. Mike in part designed it. Tim liked Mike,s big jump at his house called King Kong. So Mike worked with Tim to build Laroccos leap. Mike was the 1st to jump it. They had 1 of his kx125 broken wheels in the building on the bottom of the hill. Emig had his shift bus setup there signing autographs. Fro had the beasty boys playing , good vibes.
PFitzG38
6/29/2022 6:54pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/06/29/557178/s1200_057DF743_DF6B_43A0_A6EF_7ABEACE67B7C.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/06/29/557180/s1200_003F6387_BAE8_418A_AEB0_3FA98C076A73.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/06/29/557179/s1200_DADB1F53_FF8B_49EE_B467_ADC6B8714FE3.jpg[/img]

Full seat bounce DR style
RIP
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
6/29/2022 9:54pm

Reading comprehension never was your strong suit
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
6/29/2022 10:06pm
tek14 wrote:
What is point to have jump that no-one can jump?
LaRocco's Leap. He jumped it on a 125.
6/30/2022 6:27am
tek14 wrote:
What is point to have jump that no-one can jump?
Radical wrote:
But didn’t he have to go off track in order to clear it? If I remember correctly he did. Still the first badass guy on a 125 to do it tho. Stew was hitting it while still on track. Hard to say how much the run up has changed from time to time too
Johnny Ringo
6/30/2022 6:57am
Radical wrote:
But didn’t he have to go off track in order to clear it? If I remember correctly he did. Still the first badass guy on a...
But didn’t he have to go off track in order to clear it? If I remember correctly he did. Still the first badass guy on a 125 to do it tho. Stew was hitting it while still on track. Hard to say how much the run up has changed from time to time too
Larocco did it mid-moto
https://youtu.be/Z04b8A64ccI
motomike137
6/30/2022 7:00am
Radical wrote:
But didn’t he have to go off track in order to clear it? If I remember correctly he did. Still the first badass guy on a...
Larocco did it mid-moto
Red Bud wasn't a "sand" track at that point and If memory serves me they had a little more run at it back then. I wish they wouldn't till the dirt so deep and had left some of the hardpack in places.
Johnny Ringo
6/30/2022 7:03am
Larocco did it mid-moto
Red Bud wasn't a "sand" track at that point and If memory serves me they had a little more run at it back then. I wish...
Red Bud wasn't a "sand" track at that point and If memory serves me they had a little more run at it back then. I wish they wouldn't till the dirt so deep and had left some of the hardpack in places.
Yep. All our national tracks are too similar in prep and soil now.
Meister
6/30/2022 7:06am
Meister wrote:

soggy wrote:
Riding a dirt bike is dangerous. As far as big jumps go, the leap is actually pretty safe all things considered.
Nice card to play. But, I'll bite.

It used to be relatively safe. Huge and took commitment, but safe. I lived it. I've come up short, and I've gone long, all on the previous version. 04 the challenge came from 50 truck loads of sand before it. I only jumped it once that year on a full mod 450. Came up short, but didn't die. Now if you do that, you're legit F'd.. The landing is tall and relatively steep. If you bounce off the top you're taking a very fast drop right into a G'd out bottom, likely nose down..

Unless you have ridden over it during both eras I'm referencing, you won't understand. If you have ridden it, we can agree to disagree! Go hit it! 3rd tapped. It's safe.
scootch
6/30/2022 7:22am
Meister wrote:

soggy wrote:
Meister wrote:
Nice card to play. But, I'll bite. It used to be relatively safe. Huge and took commitment, but safe. I lived it. I've come up short...

It used to be relatively safe. Huge and took commitment, but safe. I lived it. I've come up short, and I've gone long, all on the previous version. 04 the challenge came from 50 truck loads of sand before it. I only jumped it once that year on a full mod 450. Came up short, but didn't die. Now if you do that, you're legit F'd.. The landing is tall and relatively steep. If you bounce off the top you're taking a very fast drop right into a G'd out bottom, likely nose down..

Unless you have ridden over it during both eras I'm referencing, you won't understand. If you have ridden it, we can agree to disagree! Go hit it! 3rd tapped. It's safe.
It's a jump built on a Pro level national track, for get this.. Pro riders. Vet and Amateurs riders should be intimidated by it.

I bet you would say they same thing about a Supercross triple.. dangerous as hell. For vets & am riders, yes. For pros, no.
fourfourone
6/30/2022 7:25am
Its easy to say a jump is safe when you've never have hit or probobly seen it in person.
Robbirob25
6/30/2022 7:26am Edited Date/Time 6/30/2022 7:27am
Radical wrote:
No. LaRocco did it during the race in 1992, (on a 125) the first year the jump was built...
McG194
6/30/2022 7:32am
Robbirob25 wrote:
No. LaRocco did it during the race in 1992, (on a 125) the first year the jump was built...
I have pictures of it from 91 and the first 125 to clear it in race or race practice was Guy Cooper. Jeff Ward was at the bottom of the hill sitting on his bike with his gloves off eyeing it up when Cooper sent it.
scootch
6/30/2022 7:32am
Its easy to say a jump is safe when you've never have hit or probobly seen it in person.
Fair enough, but I'm not a professional racer, so my opinion doesn't really matter does it?

Until I see a quote from any of the guys on entry list for the weekend say it's not safe, I'll reserve my judgement.
ATKpilot99
6/30/2022 7:37am
I thought Bailey was the first to clear that distance on a 500 . Not sure what it looked like back then though.
6/30/2022 8:04am
Radical wrote:
Larocco did it mid-moto
Guess I’m wrong then lol
Meister
6/30/2022 8:59am
soggy wrote:
Meister wrote:
Nice card to play. But, I'll bite. It used to be relatively safe. Huge and took commitment, but safe. I lived it. I've come up short...

scootch wrote:
It's a jump built on a Pro level national track, for get this.. Pro riders. Vet and Amateurs riders should be intimidated by it. I bet...
It's a jump built on a Pro level national track, for get this.. Pro riders. Vet and Amateurs riders should be intimidated by it.

I bet you would say they same thing about a Supercross triple.. dangerous as hell. For vets & am riders, yes. For pros, no.
No. I would still hit a pro SX triple. Lol..

You're kinda missing the point.. There is definitely a higher percentage of "PROS" they won't hit it (intimidated, perhaps?) than there are that will. Make it so more pros hit it! Simple.
motomike137
6/30/2022 11:02am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I thought Bailey was the first to clear that distance on a 500 . Not sure what it looked like back then though.
Didn't exist then.
motomike137
6/30/2022 11:07am Edited Date/Time 6/30/2022 11:07am
Robbirob25 wrote:
McG194 wrote:
I have pictures of it from 91 and the first 125 to clear it in race or race practice was Guy Cooper. Jeff Ward was at...
I have pictures of it from 91 and the first 125 to clear it in race or race practice was Guy Cooper. Jeff Ward was at the bottom of the hill sitting on his bike with his gloves off eyeing it up when Cooper sent it.
The first year they had it we were camped right next to the track at the base of the thing near the corner. We hadn't seen anyone jump it yet and around comes Chicken on his 250 Kaw in practice. He pulls to a stop right in front of us and eyes the thing up spins around and back tracks a little ways. He comes through the left hander full song and upshifts and sends it and we were like HOLY SHEET!!!!!
Johnny Ringo
6/30/2022 11:18am
Chads video shows the run being super short. I doubt many will do it in the motos. Lame.

Why even go to Red Bud without the leap? That’s like Washougal taking out horsepower hill.

Post a reply to: So, will the Leap be doable this year?

The Latest