So, will the Leap be doable this year?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/28/2022 1:57 PM

fourfourone wrote:

I wanna see stankdog hit it on a 2 stroke.

I think he said he isn't making enough money to race Redbud this year, or something.

|

6/28/2022 2:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/28/2022 2:34 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

Last year it seemed like Ritchie and Co did everything they could to make the Leap impossible to jump during the national, ...more

motomike137 wrote:

I'm going get FLAMED for this but I'd like to see them reimagine the whole north side of the track leap included.

147leeman wrote:

I agree. It's been many years with the same north layout. Before in the mid 90's they had some great "cross" layouts and jumps ...more

Don't even bring up the couple years they would upshift off the skier and go wfo through the low area and straight up the hill. I LOVED it. I swear RC had overdrive in that Pro Circuit 125 when he'd go up it. I also remember watching Fro and Jeremy riding the back wheel through the ruts at the bottom while pinned as well. After they did away with that then for a few years they had a big banked left at the bottom and that was awesome as well. I remember RV rear steering high wide and handsome in the outside cushion on that thing with Townley chasing him in 07. Maybe I've been there too many times but it seems like the track layout is a little stale imho.

|

6/28/2022 2:42 PM

motomike137 wrote:

I'm going get FLAMED for this but I'd like to see them reimagine the whole north side of the track leap included.

147leeman wrote:

I agree. It's been many years with the same north layout. Before in the mid 90's they had some great "cross" layouts and jumps ...more

motomike137 wrote:

Don't even bring up the couple years they would upshift off the skier and go wfo through the low area and straight up the ...more

07 was the best layout to me. Doubling back after the leap for an off camber was great. That black dirt turn you're talking about after the ski jump was beautiful to watch.

|

6/28/2022 2:52 PM

just posted pics of it on my ig story @mxculture ....

|

Instagram - @MxCulture

6/28/2022 4:07 PM

profeshenal125 wrote:

2 yrs ago a cr250 at the Vet fest 2-st class jumped it from the inside rut on the 1st lap. The guy rips he won 450 a at red ...more

Landonious217 wrote:

KTM 250*

I watched that a few months ago late at night. I guess it is a Ktm. 96 MC and Fro side by side going up the ramp for Laroccos leap sounded so good. I hv MC,s 1 finger point at the crowd ovr it on cam corder. That shot was on a cover of a vhs tape.

|

6/28/2022 4:12 PM

147leeman wrote:

motomike137 wrote:

Don't even bring up the couple years they would upshift off the skier and go wfo through the low area and straight up the ...more

davis224 wrote:

07 was the best layout to me. Doubling back after the leap for an off camber was great. That black dirt turn you're talking ...more

07 was the best layout. Period.

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

6/28/2022 4:19 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

Last year it seemed like Ritchie and Co did everything they could to make the Leap impossible to jump during the national, ...more

motomike137 wrote:

147leeman wrote:

96 Chad Pederson got the holeshot and did a great No footer off the ski jump. Ski jump threw the loamy rutted valley Damon huffman,s kx125 sound awesome the loam worked the engine a little. Then the step up on the hill there was a big tree on the rt, when they landed there where out of site. I thought the best jump was the 2nd of the double double, when they landed it was a quick left under the big tree. Magazines always shot at that double.

|

6/28/2022 4:31 PM

Was a huge deal for me hitting the double double on my 125. Then a few years later 65's were hitting it.

Every Redbud national reminds me of great times, but Lichtle's emergency and passing hits me hard...reminds me of how hard this sport is, and how tough they really are.

|

6/28/2022 6:23 PM

Because you need something to down vote:

1. Have two separate berms, one closer in for 450s, and the other back for the 250s. Adjust one or the other with a roller to get it dialed for both classes.

Then...

2. Doze in multiple, concentric berms so that there are options to get through the corner cleanly, without wearing out the one fast line. Orrrr... harden the berms with inch-to-dust/soiltack/whatever to take the turns' condition out of it and make the jump the attraction.

3. Turbo boost.

|

6/28/2022 7:25 PM

The leap is stupid right now. Landing is so tall it's sketch. If you land on top and bounce off, you're dropping out of the sky likely into some broken limbs. At vet fest last year only Kelly Smith and one other dude were hitting it. I've jumped it but I knew on my first lap of practice that it was NOT something I was going to do. A few times I "pretended" to set up for it, got a killer rail on the outside line and soaked up the single well.. Still not a chance I was holding her wide off that thing like I did nearly 20 years ago lol... Id still do it if it were the same jump 02-03 era.. After they added sand it went downhill.. 2000 was maybe my favorite year with the double triple in the middle then double step up right after it. 2000 also had the turning table still. I went 1-1-1 at my regional that year and honestly didn't even see the leap as a jump. Went back in 02 on my fresh crf450 and hit it nearly every lap. I believe that was also the first year for the whoops..

Make red bud great again and give us an old layout! The middle is a little stale these days. Looking forward to vet fest again this year.

|

6/28/2022 8:02 PM

Loved the layout with the "orchard" section after the ski jump. Hearing Robbie Reynard's RM125 through the bottom and up the other side was bad-friggin-ass. Then they would come down into the off camber near where the black dirt turn is now and turn and go back up hill. Watching RC on his Pro Circuit 125 draw a line around those turns and up the next hill really opened my eyes as to how the pros tie the whole track together. He just made one smooth, fluid line around it and carried a TON of speed. Then the valley triple and double double - those were awesome jumps. When I was in the back of the pack in the 125C class out there one year some dude and I came down the hill before the valley triple side by side. He decided to go for the triple while I shut off and doubled. Dude did the biggest endo I ever saw and panic revved the whole way through the air. He clipped the landing and just went cartwheeling past the next berm. His bike just yard-saled right over the berm. I thought for sure he was dead, think they just carted him off though. Still the craziest crash I've seen up close.

Red Bud isn't what it used to be anymore in terms of atomosphere. They've taken a way a bunch of the good spots to watch from and turned them into VIP sections. Can't bring your own beer into the infield, moving lot B all the way to the far end of the property so there aren't as many "entertaining" folks wandering around. They've turned it into a real upscale kind of feel - for upscale prices. Don't get me wrong, not having as many drunk people wandering around isn't a bad thing, but it's definitely not the same Red Bud it used to be.

|

Only dead fish go with the flow

6/28/2022 8:10 PM

Photo
|

6/28/2022 8:19 PM

This still amazes me. Literally ever ounce of HP from a factory 125 to just barely make it.

Photo

|

6/28/2022 8:20 PM

How about the Euro start? I was disappointed to see it back for 2019 - hope it's finally scrapped after MXDN this year.

|

6/28/2022 8:45 PM

TRUTH !!!! Johnny Ringo,well said πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ 🍻

|

6/28/2022 11:33 PM

Landonious217 wrote:

This still amazes me. Literally ever ounce of HP from a factory 125 to just barely make it.

Photo

What a pic! TY! Bubba!!!

|

When in doubt, gas it!

6/29/2022 2:17 AM

LaRocco

Photo

2009 Carmichael

Photo

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/29/2022 3:51 AM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

I thumbsdowned because that photo of rc in full send is playing tricks on my noggin. I know it's without a doubt real, but every time I look at it I can't help but feel that it ended with a yard sale on the moon. Hope his suspension was properly set for re-entry.

I like it when it's doable by both classes but only a few dare. I'm pitching a tent if parts need replaced and the rider cleared it fine. I can't help it.

|

6/29/2022 4:14 AM

Will the leap be doable? Might be a few guys hitting it, but from the IG videos and photos of the track crew prepping the track they are prepping it in true Red Bud fashion. Till it 6ft deep and water the life outta it which roughly translates to rut bud. Someone had mentioned that the track is stale. Yes, yes it is. They really don't do anything special on pro day except for opening up an extra section of the track. Red Bud used to be my favorite race on the circuit to watch, but now that place is jointly held by Budds Creek and Millville.

|

6/29/2022 4:53 AM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

motomike137 wrote:

Agreed! I liked it alot more when the leap was there and they made the 180 left after it and went down the hill made the 180 right and hit T3 backwards then the chicane into finish line. I know they moved those bleachers into the original leap spot which affects that layout now tho.

Also wish they brought back more of the off cambers, one year they had 3 sections of it after the ski jump. slowed track down alot.

|

6/29/2022 5:27 AM

Speeddemon73 wrote:

Will the leap be doable? Might be a few guys hitting it, but from the IG videos and photos of the track crew prepping the ...more

After that Hi Point race it might be my new favorite. We have some great tracks.

|

6/29/2022 7:12 AM

McG194 wrote:

Total agreement that it should be doable by the entire 450 class and a few top 250's. Nothing better than a back of the pack ...more

freeh wrote:

Back of the pack nobody seems kinda harsh. That dude is still a badass on a dirtbike. Most riders will never be fast enough to ...more

McG194 wrote:

Tell me you didn't complete reading my post without telling me you didn't complete reading my post. SMDH

My reading comprehension was missing apparently. My fault for skimming and replying.

|

6/29/2022 7:15 AM

Photo
Photo
Photo
|

6/29/2022 10:47 AM

MX Culture wrote:

just posted pics of it on my ig story @mxculture ....

Looks like a shorter run up since there is no roller?

|

6/29/2022 11:49 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

LaRocco

Photo

2009 Carmichael

Photo

Ricky overjumped the leap in practice and demolished a wheel that day.

|

6/29/2022 12:58 PM

I was waiting for that legend photo of Teefus!!! RIP

|

Brennan- "Didn't you read the rules?"

6/29/2022 1:32 PM

my personal favorite
Photo

|

6/29/2022 1:43 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

LaRocco

Photo

2009 Carmichael

Photo

Ricky looks like he’s in the stratosphere! Amazing!

|

6/29/2022 1:44 PM

Who is that above, Mike? Swink?

|

6/29/2022 1:53 PM

That drz400 photo has to be photoshop

|