So what is Dungey working to improve?

IWreckALot
Edited Date/Time 10/11/2013 10:48am
If you're in Dungey's shoes, what would you do this off season to get past RV?

I find myself wondering if a trainer would push him that extra :02 a lap faster he needs or if it would impede his progress. He's made it this far so I don't think a trainer is quite the answer but I'd be interested to see how it worked.

He clearly has the speed but eventually RV is able to push the gap by a couple of seconds per lap faster. So does Dungey need to improve his cardio even more? His starts aren't quite as consistent as RV's but they're not terrible. So I'd guess he's working on those. I agree that aggression is part of the equation but it's not the only thing that will get him past RV.

Is he just going to do the same thing this season and try to win with consistency or do you think he'll practice rubbing elbows over the off season.

I'm clearly not Dungey, but if it were me, I'd be trying something different this off season.
|
Jordan421
Fantasy
2602nd
10/9/2013 5:54am
He doesn't have to work on anything. To me, I felt like RD is a lot like CR. He would rather get a 2nd then ride over his ability that day.
10/9/2013 5:59am
Is he just going to do the same thing this season and try to win with consistency or do you think he'll practice rubbing elbows over the off season.

Is this a new arm-pump technique?
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
10/9/2013 6:07am
He needs to sit in the corner and think about what he's done
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
10/9/2013 6:16am
If history repeats its self he just needs to ride smart and wait for RV to crash out near the end of SX ala 2010 and 2012. Dungey is probably at his max, he cant beat RV on a constant basis. On his good days he is as good as it gets but he will not hang out like RV and that sure helped him win the 2010 and 2012 MX titles as RV crashed out.

The Shop

Outsider
10/9/2013 6:23am
He's working on turning his innie into an outie...
peelout
10/9/2013 6:30am
He needs to practice passing that's for sure. RV doesn't follow people, Dungey does
10/9/2013 6:32am
Dungey's keys to win the race:

Better starts, flawless laps, and more pressure on anybody ahead of him. Villopoto is an animal at passing and if you let him get into the lead, it's pretty much tough luck from there on until the checkers.
10/9/2013 6:44am Edited Date/Time 10/9/2013 6:47am
Sounds as though they could get the bike working a little bit better maybe. There was plenty of talk coming from the KTM guys towards the end of this season, with both Ken and Ryan apparently searching for better set-ups (though of course the search for improvement is virtually never ending anyway). Other than that it's hard to tell. RD pretty much has all the pieces with an already fantastic career to show for it.

A more RV like intensity sometimes looks as though it would pay hugely and seems like the obvious answer - but then again, Villopoto's missed his fair share of seasons too. As far as being there every year, Dungey has been nothing less than absolutely fantastic. He hasn't missed a full season of either SX or Nationals since his career started. No easy task in a sport like ours. So really (from the pov of bench racing fun obviously) it's hard to argue against his approach.
Racer92
10/9/2013 7:05am
Jordan421 wrote:
He doesn't have to work on anything. To me, I felt like RD is a lot like CR. He would rather get a 2nd then ride...
He doesn't have to work on anything. To me, I felt like RD is a lot like CR. He would rather get a 2nd then ride over his ability that day.
If I had to guess, this is probably accurate. RD just doesnt seem to have the 'Kill 'em All' riding style that some guys have.
Tumblin
10/9/2013 7:14am
Certainly intensity, urgency are at the top, perhaps aggressive riding, but go back and watch the MXDN. Ciaroli was soo smooth and he was walking away from the field. Dungey needs to stand more and throttle through, especially entering rutted turns w/kickers IMHO.
Regardless of my thoughts, disbanded nailed it best - "He needs to sit in the corner and think about what he's done"
IWreckALot
10/9/2013 7:48am
Tumblin wrote:
Certainly intensity, urgency are at the top, perhaps aggressive riding, but go back and watch the MXDN. Ciaroli was soo smooth and he was walking away...
Certainly intensity, urgency are at the top, perhaps aggressive riding, but go back and watch the MXDN. Ciaroli was soo smooth and he was walking away from the field. Dungey needs to stand more and throttle through, especially entering rutted turns w/kickers IMHO.
Regardless of my thoughts, disbanded nailed it best - "He needs to sit in the corner and think about what he's done"
My guess is Dungey's best chance for a 2014 SX Championship is to start winning early while RV is racing himself back into shape. RV likely isn't training due to his knee improvements so Dungey has a bit of a jump on the training. Just hope he is taking advantage of it. If RV comes out winning A1, I just don't see Dungey catching him. Although, if RD can have a year without any mechanicals, he generally can stay right with RV.

And 83 has valid points, work on bike setup and get more comfortable. But I also wonder if he desires to stay healthy more than he desires to win. It's his strong suit and achilles heel.
----------
10/9/2013 7:51am
IWreckALot wrote:
My guess is Dungey's best chance for a 2014 SX Championship is to start winning early while RV is racing himself back into shape. RV likely...
My guess is Dungey's best chance for a 2014 SX Championship is to start winning early while RV is racing himself back into shape. RV likely isn't training due to his knee improvements so Dungey has a bit of a jump on the training. Just hope he is taking advantage of it. If RV comes out winning A1, I just don't see Dungey catching him. Although, if RD can have a year without any mechanicals, he generally can stay right with RV.

And 83 has valid points, work on bike setup and get more comfortable. But I also wonder if he desires to stay healthy more than he desires to win. It's his strong suit and achilles heel.
"RV likely isn't training."

.....speechless.
Outsider
10/9/2013 8:01am
---------- wrote:

.....speechless.
^^^^^^ --------
AS64
Fantasy
2175th
10/9/2013 8:03am Edited Date/Time 10/9/2013 8:03am
IWreckALot wrote:
My guess is Dungey's best chance for a 2014 SX Championship is to start winning early while RV is racing himself back into shape. RV likely...

Isn't training?
peelout
10/9/2013 8:08am Edited Date/Time 10/9/2013 8:12am
Park Boys wrote:
If history repeats its self he just needs to ride smart and wait for RV to crash out near the end of SX ala 2010 and...
If history repeats its self he just needs to ride smart and wait for RV to crash out near the end of SX ala 2010 and 2012. Dungey is probably at his max, he cant beat RV on a constant basis. On his good days he is as good as it gets but he will not hang out like RV and that sure helped him win the 2010 and 2012 MX titles as RV crashed out.
just curious what titles RV crashed out of as you say?

09 he pulled out with a torn knee, not from a crash from hanging it out.
10 supercross, yes, gnarly crash in supercross while battling the Dunge
12 supercross silly foot dab in a slow corner
current injury just fixing past issues

i just think it's funny everyone acts like RV wrecks out from riding aggressively or hanging it out of these championships he's missed out on.

back on topic... as for Dungey, the guy is sometimes the fastest guy out there (Budds this year) but he is seriously unable to come through the pack like RV. it gets frustrating watching Dungey follow someone he is clearly faster than for more than one lap (Alessi in moto, VanHoorbeek in the MXdN).
----------
10/9/2013 8:12am
AS64 wrote:
Isn't training? [embed][/embed]
Isn't training?
That's a front end wash-out for me.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
10/9/2013 8:14am
motor package
chassis setup
fitness
nutrition
suntan
riding technique
bench press
Dias374
10/9/2013 8:34am
I imagine he's working on how much money he wants to keep in his checking, savings and investments. It's tough to be number 2, but I think I'd be pretty happy if I had his bank account.
10/9/2013 8:53am
IWreckALot wrote:
If you're in Dungey's shoes, what would you do this off season to get past RV? I find myself wondering if a trainer would push him...
If you're in Dungey's shoes, what would you do this off season to get past RV?

I find myself wondering if a trainer would push him that extra :02 a lap faster he needs or if it would impede his progress. He's made it this far so I don't think a trainer is quite the answer but I'd be interested to see how it worked.

He clearly has the speed but eventually RV is able to push the gap by a couple of seconds per lap faster. So does Dungey need to improve his cardio even more? His starts aren't quite as consistent as RV's but they're not terrible. So I'd guess he's working on those. I agree that aggression is part of the equation but it's not the only thing that will get him past RV.

I'm clearly not Dungey, but if it were me, I'd be trying something different this off season.
I think he might be a little happier than RV when he is 50. RV will feel old with all those broken bones. Give me the smart guy with millions than the injured guy with millions any day.
IWreckALot
10/9/2013 9:03am
---------- wrote:

.....speechless.
Outsider wrote:
^^^^^^ --------
Did he not just have knee surgery to remove hardware? I'm clearly not in the know here. I just figured he would be taking some down time to deal with his knee. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
10/9/2013 9:05am
IWreckALot wrote:

---------- wrote:

.....speechless.
Yeah, that was a fail.
10/9/2013 9:06am
I think he might be a little happier than RV when he is 50. RV will feel old with all those broken bones. Give me the...
I think he might be a little happier than RV when he is 50. RV will feel old with all those broken bones. Give me the smart guy with millions than the injured guy with millions any day.
^This

Plus, Dungey has won everything Villopoto has. Villopoto may have a few extra titles, but Dungey is by no means a slouch. Villopoto has always been a step ahead of Dungey since they turned pro, he's been close, but the only year I can think of Dungey rode to his absolute limits with Villopoto was 2011, and if I remember correctly he lost not by being slower, but by bike problems (de-railed chain in supercross and ran out of gas in motocross). A classic case of shoulda, woulda, coulda, but the guy is solid. A kid that came out of no where in amateurs and won everything in the pro ranks is pretty damn impressive. He just needs to believe he can win again.
nytsmaC
10/9/2013 9:39am
Starts and aggressive passing. He needs to work on making short work of those holding him up rather than waiting for a mistake to happen to get around.

I think between the two, Dungey is more consistent than RV. If he can get better starts, or move through the pack quickly when he doesn't, he has a chance at beating RV straight up for a title.
Mouse153
10/9/2013 9:42am
I think its a little early for Dungey to hit the panic button. He had some incredible rides this year but he wasn't as consistent as RV and lets be honest, RV turned the jets on after Budds. Nobody could touch him. I don't think Dungey needs to make an drastic changes and I'm positive him and Roger are working on some things in preparation for next year.

Dang, I'm looking forward to supercross season!
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
10/9/2013 10:02am
Park Boys wrote:
If history repeats its self he just needs to ride smart and wait for RV to crash out near the end of SX ala 2010 and...
peelout wrote:
just curious what titles RV crashed out of as you say? 09 he pulled out with a torn knee, not from a crash from hanging it...
just curious what titles RV crashed out of as you say?

09 he pulled out with a torn knee, not from a crash from hanging it out.
10 supercross, yes, gnarly crash in supercross while battling the Dunge
12 supercross silly foot dab in a slow corner
current injury just fixing past issues

i just think it's funny everyone acts like RV wrecks out from riding aggressively or hanging it out of these championships he's missed out on.

back on topic... as for Dungey, the guy is sometimes the fastest guy out there (Budds this year) but he is seriously unable to come through the pack like RV. it gets frustrating watching Dungey follow someone he is clearly faster than for more than one lap (Alessi in moto, VanHoorbeek in the MXdN).
It doesn't matter how bad the crashes were the fact is he has crashed out of three MX series and has had crashes in SX that have knocked him out of two series, those are just facts. I am not knocking the guy, but outside of JS7 and TC41 he is the most prone to injury. So the best way to beat him if your RD is wait for an injury as RV has always been a lil quicker.
Brent
10/9/2013 10:03am
Villopoto has giant nads and little thought of self preservation. Winning over the risk of getting hurt.

Stewart used to be like that, not anymore.

Dungey has never been like that, and as Geoff pointed out, he may be the one who is happier when he's older.
stewie94
10/9/2013 10:07am
peelout wrote:
He needs to practice passing that's for sure. RV doesn't follow people, Dungey does
^^^^ 1000% this
LappedU
10/9/2013 10:10am
peelout wrote:
This X 10!

Post a reply to: So what is Dungey working to improve?

The Latest