So what does he need in a bike to win?

kkawboy14
Edited Date/Time 4/21/2017 4:25am

Something more than anyone else? I think I see why no one wants to work with him!

James Stewart's needs/wants may exceed what's available.

|
4/20/2017 2:44am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2017 2:45am
an ECU.. you didn't hear?

Honestly, Big James comments are exactly my same thoughts.... Surely, this can't be the way James' legacy ends. He may not win again, but seeing legit effort and hustle would go a long way with the fans. That being said.... I'll be believe it when I see it ..(at Monster Cup) Wink
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
4/20/2017 3:24am
Get him back on his 08 KXF450 or 2012 RMZ450. He looked fantastic on those bikes.
Jmicmoto13
4/20/2017 3:33am
I've heard that he hasn't been on a bike at all this year. He's unmotivated and doesn't want to do it anymore. He's done.
Question
4/20/2017 3:50am
I am a stewart fan as most people regarding the riding style, but i am so over his BS PR since a few years now.

The Shop

Flip109
4/20/2017 5:02am
A farewell autograph signing and picture taking tour during the nationals would suffice at this point. Come on bubbles.
4/20/2017 5:34am
My attention was grabbed by that factory ECU deal too. Big James made it sound like a race is unwinnable without one. Can that be right?

And if it is true, how is a privateer supposed to compete? Has the spirit of the 1986 production rule been tossed aside?
reynardfan1
Fantasy
3676th
4/20/2017 5:57am
Flip109 wrote:
A farewell autograph signing and picture taking tour during the nationals would suffice at this point. Come on bubbles.
This

Legacy preserved but even that is unlikely
jj welks
4/20/2017 6:08am
Stewart really brings out the dumb in some people
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/20/2017 6:17am
NATEP231 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/04/20/189091/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

This x2 though!
APLMAN99
4/20/2017 6:33am
My attention was grabbed by that factory ECU deal too. Big James made it sound like a race is unwinnable without one. Can that be right...
My attention was grabbed by that factory ECU deal too. Big James made it sound like a race is unwinnable without one. Can that be right?

And if it is true, how is a privateer supposed to compete? Has the spirit of the 1986 production rule been tossed aside?
Privateers compete the way that they always have, mostly against other privateers. The guys who do the hiring on the factory backed teams know who is performing well on "inferior" equipment. I think that you can count on both hands the number of races won by true privateers over the last 30 years......

The "spirit" of the production rule wasn't to level the playing field for privateers, it was to try to reduce costs for the factories who didn't want to keep building bikes like the RC Hondas.
Crush
4/20/2017 6:53am
I'd be shocked if Reed had one in 2011 for his first couple wins... He was on a PC bike for almost all of SX.

Crazy to think that they think an ECU is the hold up... How many races has James won without that?
4/20/2017 6:54am
My attention was grabbed by that factory ECU deal too. Big James made it sound like a race is unwinnable without one. Can that be right...

APLMAN99 wrote:
Privateers compete the way that they always have, mostly against other privateers. The guys who do the hiring on the factory backed teams know who is...
Privateers compete the way that they always have, mostly against other privateers. The guys who do the hiring on the factory backed teams know who is performing well on "inferior" equipment. I think that you can count on both hands the number of races won by true privateers over the last 30 years......

The "spirit" of the production rule wasn't to level the playing field for privateers, it was to try to reduce costs for the factories who didn't want to keep building bikes like the RC Hondas.
Makes sense, Applebro! Never thought of it that way, but you're probably correct.
ga_pike
4/20/2017 7:37am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2017 7:39am
Forgive my ignorance... But is there an actual electronic or physical difference between a factory ECU and a standard ECU? Shouldn't you be able to program the same mapping into each? And to that end, if they are completely different, isn't someone providing the factory ECU to the factory and couldn't they provide a similar version to anyone willing to pay?

ML512
Fantasy
54th
4/20/2017 7:45am
ga_pike wrote:
Forgive my ignorance... But is there an actual electronic or physical difference between a factory ECU and a standard ECU? Shouldn't you be able to program...
Forgive my ignorance... But is there an actual electronic or physical difference between a factory ECU and a standard ECU? Shouldn't you be able to program the same mapping into each? And to that end, if they are completely different, isn't someone providing the factory ECU to the factory and couldn't they provide a similar version to anyone willing to pay?

Weege came over to talk to me about ECUs and traction control shortly after this chat with Big James...

As myself and multiple people in the pits mentioned to him, it's not that special, traction control isn't what Big James was explaining (I don't think he understands how it can and can't apply to dirtbikes...), plus he can race without one and do just fine.

To be exact, Weege mentioned to me that Big James said the Factory Honda ECU is like cheating and no one can win without it..he said James can't be competitive without it. If it's as amazing as they think, Cole should be winning every weekend...
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
4/20/2017 7:46am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2017 8:51am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Privateers compete the way that they always have, mostly against other privateers. The guys who do the hiring on the factory backed teams know who is...

Newsflash: In any given year, the vast majority of factory riders don't win a race either.

Care to name a single privateer rider that would, in your opinion, start competing for wins if given access to Ken Roczen's Honda?
Bfogg217
4/20/2017 8:03am
APLMAN99 wrote:

SPYGUY wrote:
Newsflash: In any given year, the vast majority of factory riders don't win a race either. Care to name a single privateer rider that would, in...
Newsflash: In any given year, the vast majority of factory riders don't win a race either.

Care to name a single privateer rider that would, in your opinion, start competing for wins if given access to Ken Roczen's Honda?
None.
steveada
4/20/2017 8:38am
What does he need in a bike to win?
The 2008 James Stewart - Gas
The 2017 James Stewart - Pixy dust.
mxb2
4/20/2017 8:54am
You really think a factory ecu is holding him back? Lol.,. A few weeks ago. It was the. He has a baby excuse,.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/20/2017 8:55am
I've said more than a few times that I'm not sure any manufacturer builds a production frame that can keep up with what James does with/to a bike.

Over the years I've also walked by a few pit areas and heard something akin to, "Your bike's trying to kill my boy."
twotwosix
4/20/2017 9:40am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2017 9:43am
Look, big James will always have a little 'mini Dad' in him. It's just in his nature.

When we were racing minis, my Dad was always convinced that anyone who got a holeshot on me, pulled me down a straight or cleared a jump that I couldn't must have been running a cheater motor. LaughingLaughing

These days, when he watches me ride, It's never the bikes fault. Cool
mark_swart
4/20/2017 9:49am
TripleFive wrote:
JS7 threads have become the new JLaw threads.
I think you hit the nail on the head!
jeffro503
4/20/2017 9:52am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2017 9:53am
Want a factory ECU.....go earn one!

Why expect the golden gates to open up for you , with bikes , money and everything that goes with it.....when you don't put in one day of freakin' work?

Three years since he got in trouble , and 3 years in which he hasn't been the same dude. If he got the ECU today , another excuse would pop up. Jesus Christ....every single guy out there is trying to earn their spot , so why in the world would you think you just " deserve " everything , when the past 3 years he probably hasn't spent one day in the gym?

Shit...or get off the pot.
newmann
4/20/2017 9:55am
GuyB wrote:
I've said more than a few times that I'm not sure any manufacturer builds a production frame that can keep up with what James does with/to...
I've said more than a few times that I'm not sure any manufacturer builds a production frame that can keep up with what James does with/to a bike.

Over the years I've also walked by a few pit areas and heard something akin to, "Your bike's trying to kill my boy."
"my boy"

Bro Sho and P should be along anytime now to call you out.
peelout
4/20/2017 10:00am
a set of properly torqued sprocket bolts, bro
dirtdog36
4/20/2017 10:01am
Just to put some things into perspective on how big a difference a true factory or damn near factory bike is...

Mike Brown who is a bad dude on a bike but no James Stewart, will not go race 1 national at Muddy Creek (A place he grew up on and wants to race BADLY) without a full factory bike...

To me this illustrates clearly how big of a difference there is between bikes....

Just saying'

PS: Would love to see James and Mike both ride one last time!!!
Johnny Ringo
4/20/2017 10:01am
jeffro503 wrote:
Want a factory ECU.....go earn one! Why expect the golden gates to open up for you , with bikes , money and everything that goes with...
Want a factory ECU.....go earn one!

Why expect the golden gates to open up for you , with bikes , money and everything that goes with it.....when you don't put in one day of freakin' work?

Three years since he got in trouble , and 3 years in which he hasn't been the same dude. If he got the ECU today , another excuse would pop up. Jesus Christ....every single guy out there is trying to earn their spot , so why in the world would you think you just " deserve " everything , when the past 3 years he probably hasn't spent one day in the gym?

Shit...or get off the pot.
So you're saying James hasn't earned factory parts? I'd think his career would have earned him some factory goodies.
newmann
4/20/2017 10:02am
ga_pike wrote:
Forgive my ignorance... But is there an actual electronic or physical difference between a factory ECU and a standard ECU? Shouldn't you be able to program...

ML512 wrote:
Weege came over to talk to me about ECUs and traction control shortly after this chat with Big James... As myself and multiple people in the...
Weege came over to talk to me about ECUs and traction control shortly after this chat with Big James...

As myself and multiple people in the pits mentioned to him, it's not that special, traction control isn't what Big James was explaining (I don't think he understands how it can and can't apply to dirtbikes...), plus he can race without one and do just fine.

To be exact, Weege mentioned to me that Big James said the Factory Honda ECU is like cheating and no one can win without it..he said James can't be competitive without it. If it's as amazing as they think, Cole should be winning every weekend...
So what you are saying is pretty much that he is full of it? Even if he had a factory control module, would anyone in his camp know what to do with it? Judging from years past, he would be given a setup early in the season that he would be killing it on. As the season progressed and he continued to "make adjustments" and veer from the factory setup things went downhill. Poor Mike Webb...

Post a reply to: So what does he need in a bike to win?

The Latest