So what did I miss?

Crush
3/26/2010 5:06am
Is Pala even suitable for a national thought??? I've only seen vid but it looks like it's built around a smallish hill and not great for spectating or racing? Probably good to ride but that doesn't make a good race track...
yota
3/26/2010 6:05am
Gatorback baby.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
3/26/2010 6:08am
Crush wrote:
Is Pala even suitable for a national thought??? I've only seen vid but it looks like it's built around a smallish hill and not great for...
Is Pala even suitable for a national thought??? I've only seen vid but it looks like it's built around a smallish hill and not great for spectating or racing? Probably good to ride but that doesn't make a good race track...
I would logically think that if Pala were to host a National in 6 months they will build a National caliber track and build the necessary infrastructure.

Funny comment I read on another thread talking about Pala's "cheap money"... lol, what is the definition of "cheap money"? I'd like to get my hands on some "expensive money". Smile
DC
3/26/2010 6:33am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2010 11:33am
Sorry, I was watching a basketball game last night and being a dad....

I can't argue with Jody's bottom line on this whole conundrum: it was a difference in length of the term, that neither side could get past. I continue to respect and appreciate what he does for the sport, and I hope we will continue to work together (though admittedly sometimes in different directions) to help the sport grow. I count on his opinion, his knowledge and his passion for motocross.

There are a couple of things that have been posted that are not accurate, or at least there's more to explain....

BOTH Pennsylvania tracks got one-year deals; I just did not make that clear in the earlier post. And yes, the plan is to move one to the Southeast in 2011. The other one has some work to do if it's going to remain.

There are NO automobile tracks on the schedule, and there will never be one with more than 35,000 seats because that makes it a supercross, as defined by the AMA's contract with the Supercross series. But a place like Barber Motorsports in Alabama would be a great location (and it's a motorcycle track, first and foremost).

"Proximity to Los Angeles" doesn't have a damn thing to do with TV production or budgets. SPEED is located in Charlotte, NC, NBC is in New York City, and the folks who film the races are from all over the map. The cost is the same -- many, many times more expensive than I ever thought it would be.

As far as smoother tracks go, we're always damned if we do, damned if we don't. People get hurt, and everyone complains the tracks are too rough and dangerous. Smooth it out, people complain the tracks are too fast and dangerous. Bikes are so much different and more powerful than they used to be, and the stakes much higher for today's top riders. There is a sweet spot in there somewhere -- Thunder Valley was too smooth for the first motos, perfect for the second. Jake Weimer said Red Bud was rougher than he's ever seen it, and he won (that was the race where Ryan Dungey somehow endoed on a banked turn). Anyone who's ridden Loretta Lynn's knows how well a track that is both rough AND groomed can be for racing....

And for the record, there is no deal with Pala Raceway or anyone else at this time. I have never stayed at Pala Resort, I have never gambled there, and I have never ridden there, but I have been there twice. It has a lot of potential, just like Glen Helen, Honey Lake, Competitive Edge and a few other California tracks. (And if you're keeping score at home, in the two years I have also been to Barber, three different tracks in Georgia, two ski resorts in Utah, a large park in North Carolina, Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, CA, Arizona Cycle Park, and I am headed to Camp Woodward in central Pennsylvania soon, as well as another place in North Carolina and one in South Carolina).

From here, we have to move on. We have a series coming up and a lot of very good tracks and riders, not to mention the fans and our industry, expect a quality championship. I plan to deliver. And for anyone who doesn't think I put the sport of motocross first and foremost, come out to the races and work alongside me for the weekend. If that doesn't change your mind, nothing will. But at least you will see a good race, and I will have someone to help us get the job done.

DC
MX Sports

The Shop

jndmx
3/26/2010 6:43am
Well said DC.
MotoBill51
3/26/2010 6:58am
Make that 3 DC.

And the beer's still cold......
jmx411
3/26/2010 7:31am
X5. DC you are the man.
TooOldToPlay
3/26/2010 7:46am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:40pm
DC has stated time and again his desire to see the sport grow and prosper for everyone. This includes having events at the best tracks, with the best facilities, attracting the best sponsors so that the track owners, the promoters, and the teams/riders are rewarded for their risk, and to give ticket holders, television viewers, and fans of the sport in general, the best that outdoor motocross can be. Hopefully that also brings new fans into the sport. His stated vision has always included retaining the true feel and appeal of outdoor motocross. I have never seen anything suggesting he is trying to make motocross into supercross. I think DC and his group, have been very straight forward and open about what they want to achieve. I’ve been attending Red Bud and Spring Creek nationals for dozens of years, and I am one of the fans that had been looking forward to making the trek across the country to see my first Glen Helen event this year. I hate that it’s not going to happen. But I am not ready to throw anyone under the bus (DC’s group or the Feldcamp family) over the Glen Helen events.

As fans of the sport (and Vital abusers) we would all love to “know it all, or have access to it” when it comes to the future of the sport. As a fan of the NFL I would like to know my favorite teams exact plans for this year (and I own some of that crap stock the Green Bay Packers sold a number of years back to fund the new stadium, so I’m part of the ownership, right?), but I’ll never be privy to that data. We’ll likely never see the road map that MX Sports has designed for their vision of promotion of US Motocross, but if their history is any indication, we‘ll surely be on the same road with them…….Or not (as in the case of Glen Helen). I can’t even imagine defining a business plan that would “coral” all of the variables into one straight line for a vision of the future of motocross, but I am damn sure that we have the right guy leading it! Keep up the good work Davey!

Kevin Z.
Torco1
3/26/2010 8:42am
DC wrote:
Sorry, I was watching a basketball game last night and being a dad....I can't argue with Jody's bottom line on this whole conundrum: it was a...
Sorry, I was watching a basketball game last night and being a dad....

I can't argue with Jody's bottom line on this whole conundrum: it was a difference in length of the term, that neither side could get past. I continue to respect and appreciate what he does for the sport, and I hope we will continue to work together (though admittedly sometimes in different directions) to help the sport grow. I count on his opinion, his knowledge and his passion for motocross.

There are a couple of things that have been posted that are not accurate, or at least there's more to explain....

BOTH Pennsylvania tracks got one-year deals; I just did not make that clear in the earlier post. And yes, the plan is to move one to the Southeast in 2011. The other one has some work to do if it's going to remain.

There are NO automobile tracks on the schedule, and there will never be one with more than 35,000 seats because that makes it a supercross, as defined by the AMA's contract with the Supercross series. But a place like Barber Motorsports in Alabama would be a great location (and it's a motorcycle track, first and foremost).

"Proximity to Los Angeles" doesn't have a damn thing to do with TV production or budgets. SPEED is located in Charlotte, NC, NBC is in New York City, and the folks who film the races are from all over the map. The cost is the same -- many, many times more expensive than I ever thought it would be.

As far as smoother tracks go, we're always damned if we do, damned if we don't. People get hurt, and everyone complains the tracks are too rough and dangerous. Smooth it out, people complain the tracks are too fast and dangerous. Bikes are so much different and more powerful than they used to be, and the stakes much higher for today's top riders. There is a sweet spot in there somewhere -- Thunder Valley was too smooth for the first motos, perfect for the second. Jake Weimer said Red Bud was rougher than he's ever seen it, and he won (that was the race where Ryan Dungey somehow endoed on a banked turn). Anyone who's ridden Loretta Lynn's knows how well a track that is both rough AND groomed can be for racing....

And for the record, there is no deal with Pala Raceway or anyone else at this time. I have never stayed at Pala Resort, I have never gambled there, and I have never ridden there, but I have been there twice. It has a lot of potential, just like Glen Helen, Honey Lake, Competitive Edge and a few other California tracks. (And if you're keeping score at home, in the two years I have also been to Barber, three different tracks in Georgia, two ski resorts in Utah, a large park in North Carolina, Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, CA, Arizona Cycle Park, and I am headed to Camp Woodward in central Pennsylvania soon, as well as another place in North Carolina and one in South Carolina).

From here, we have to move on. We have a series coming up and a lot of very good tracks and riders, not to mention the fans and our industry, expect a quality championship. I plan to deliver. And for anyone who doesn't think I put the sport of motocross first and foremost, come out to the races and work alongside me for the weekend. If that doesn't change your mind, nothing will. But at least you will see a good race, and I will have someone to help us get the job done.

DC
MX Sports
Soooooo does this mean Reed will be or wont be racing Houston?
Brtp4
3/26/2010 8:45am
Leadership can be hard sometimes. The more long-term the vision, the more complex the details, the harder to avoid criticism, and to stick to the goal.

I have every confidence that outdoor MX is in the best hands.

BP
mccread
3/26/2010 8:48am
SH_105 wrote:
Ok heres my take on the situation and Ive said it before, as a Sport that wants and needs to grow we need better structure... Davey...
Ok heres my take on the situation and Ive said it before, as a Sport that wants and needs to grow we need better structure... Davey has come up with HIS best way and evaluated it to the best of his knowledge. IF we all were so smart we ALL would be doing this. Believe me this isnt Daveys first Rodeo!! While my year in Europe I noticed all the respect taken into account for not only the racers but the fans as a whole, permanent structures like; Showers, running water, proper flushing toilets and in some cases a HOTEL... If we ever want to be taken serious by Corporate America and the Companies that we see on a daily basis then we NEED to appeal to them as ALL other MAJOR sporting events do. You think Baseball and Football started with Billion Dollar stadiums?? We all know MX may really never be as big as those sports mentioned but I can assure you that it can be damn close!! The reason SX is appealing is the clean side of things ( I know some of you are going to say have you been in one of those bathrooms.. Yes I have), but when you show these races to Corporate they fall in love with Concrete, pavement and suites, just as they did with NASCAR! I know we will not get to that extreme but we need to take a few pages out of the good old FIM's book of appearance at the races, I know most of you mach, chest pumping Americans will disagree but until you have actually been to one then you really dont know. There you have it folks... Oh and by the way it does suck that GH is gone...for now but whose to say its like that forever?

BobbyM wrote:
fuck you...yer just a racer.

Smile
Good post,

Everyone wanted DC instead of YS as well, and now they criticise him, he has a vision just like Luongo, let them get on with with then in a few years, we can decide if it was a success or not.

Davey can see Loungo's idea's are accurate and well thought out and they are helping the GPs in the long term, it sounds like he is adapting some of it to the US and using his own ideas too to hopefully grow the sport in the long term in the US, imo SX should be the sideshow to motocross in America, not the other way round.

Time will tell but you have to give him a chance there will be growing pains just like in the GPs and the economy won't help. But in the 6 years Loungo has has had GPs they have become much more professional, and are the benchmark for outdoor motocross organisation and the racing is still great, this despite what people in the US who have never been to a GP might say. But I put that down to patriotism against what they see as a rival series instead of accuracy.

So I say give DC 6 years and then see where the nationals are at. Motocross has to move on it cannot remain the same, Loungo seen it 6 years ago and changed it, DC I think sees it too for the US series.

The same people that criticise Loungo will do the same to DC, ironically there will also be those that will support DC doing the thigns they would criticise Loungo for too, but they are both trying to grow the sport...that means change, it doesn't mean everything both will do will be perfect, mistakes will be made, but change is inevitable. Time will tell if DC's vision of change will work, but he needs time.
jbomx363
3/26/2010 8:56am
Everyone wanted DC instead of YS as well, and now they criticise him

"THEY" are very few, I believe there is a huge majority on MX Sports side of things.

DC
3/26/2010 8:59am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2010 11:35am
McCread, I don't think Mr. Luongo and I have as much in common as you dream to think. He has a business model much different than ours, and this myth that we want to go to automobile tracks is just not true. This is getting ridiculous.

You have never been to a national, so don't call those who have never been to a GP ignorant. It's quite hypocritical, even for you.

DC
MX Sports
mccread
3/26/2010 9:42am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:41pm
Actually I think you do to a point, both want to take the series you are in control of to another level, and both are looking at improving the infrastructure and facitlites of the tracks in order to attract more sponsors, fans and media coverage and that means change.

I didn't mean your vision was exactly like Loungo in the literal sense, I meant you have a personal vision to grow the US series just like he does with GPs. I never mentioned road race tracks...and I specifically said you had your own ideas...

Obviously both have different ways of going about it but it is same basic idea to improve the sport and the series by bringing it to a bigger audience and bigger sponsors which seems to come from infrastructure and facilities... However, where did the tents in the Pit lane come from? not the GPs?

It was sean who mentioned taking a leaf out of the FIM book and the macho Americans who disagree...and he has been to both. I was reiterating the point.

As far as not attending a national.. I sent you a pm on that. I have been to 3 supercrosses and even rode at Glen Helen twice and I do watch every national on tv and have every series from from 1996, I follow the US racing as much as any American here, I see it as another World class series to watch.

And I was actually trying to defend what you are doing in the previous post.
stumpjumper
3/26/2010 9:48am
Well said DC, Shut the haters up and do it the way you want!
3/26/2010 9:52am
DoctorJD wrote:
Doom and gloom. This sport survived the demise of a lot more sacred tracks than GH. If the trade-off is more exposure, i.e., live (HD) races...
Doom and gloom.
This sport survived the demise of a lot more sacred tracks than GH. If the trade-off is more exposure, i.e., live (HD) races on my living room TV , then wipe the slate clean and start with a whole new series of tracks as far as I'm concerned.
RACERX69 wrote:
You've obviously never witnessed an Outdoor National in person at Glen Helen!!!!

You sound like a lazy couch potato to me!
Luckily for me i have been to most of the National tracks starting back to the mid 70's. having said that GH was great but IMO there's tracks out there that's just as great and several of them have disappeared in the past as it seems GH may end up doing. Although not holding a National i see no reason that GH still won't be a great place to ride for many riders for years to come. Business is business and it seems that the 2 sides could'nt agree on everything so we move on.
race
3/26/2010 10:01am
DC - we all know the sport is in good hands with you. The GH deal is unfortunate as they have such a unique layout and a certain amount of history having held GPs as well as Nats.

I am also the first to admit they seem to have dragged their feet over the years on other issues.

I will still keep my fingers crossed that they may find their way back into the schedule but realize things need to keep moving forward.
DC
3/26/2010 10:05am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:41pm
McCread, sorry, it's just that this has so little to do with GPs or road racing courses (which was a whole different thread here altogether) and even Jody and me -- it was about a contract, and sometimes in the world of both business and sports, that's all it comes down to. And I'm over it. Back to work.

DC

MX Sports
APLMAN99
3/26/2010 10:09am
DC wrote:
McCread, I don't think Mr. Luongo and I have as much in common as you dream to think. He has a business model much different than...
McCread, I don't think Mr. Luongo and I have as much in common as you dream to think. He has a business model much different than ours, and this myth that we want to go to automobile tracks is just not true. This is getting ridiculous.

You have never been to a national, so don't call those who have never been to a GP ignorant. It's quite hypocritical, even for you.

DC
MX Sports
First time I've been on this site in over a year and a half, but this topic sucked me in enough to use my original, non-banned username.

DC, the releases and responses that have went back and forth aren't fully clear on one thing.

Did Glen Helen have a fully signed contract in place for 2010 and the issue was a 'new' contract, or was it that the contract for the 2010 National hadn't been fully agreed to yet?

If it was the former, then Glen Helen would seem to be at fault for not living up to the terms of the existing contract.

If the latter is the case, then it would appear that MX Sports would be at fault for advertising a race they had no contract in place for, therefore causing several hundred, perhaps thousands of people to spend money planning to attend.

If that is the case, it is amazing that an organization like MX Sports would have published the schedule they did without the venues fully locked up. That is the real issue to me, not the "sanctity" of any single track. As has been pointed out, the sport has lost many "sacred" tracks in the past, but if "moving the sport forward" is the goal of MX Sports, then certainly scheduling and publishing an event for around a year without having a contract for that event is most certainly not indicative of that goal.

Overall I've been pleasantly surprised with the direction that MX Sports seemed to have wanted to take the Nationals (as compared to what I thought other organizations were hoping to accomplish of course) but if this truly wasn't a fully contracted race and the public is just finding out about this now then it really calls into question the judgement of the organization.
Torco1
3/26/2010 10:15am
DC wrote:
McCread, sorry, it's just that this has so little to do with GPs or road racing courses (which was a whole different thread here altogether) and...
McCread, sorry, it's just that this has so little to do with GPs or road racing courses (which was a whole different thread here altogether) and even Jody and me -- it was about a contract, and sometimes in the world of both business and sports, that's all it comes down to. And I'm over it. Back to work.

DC

MX Sports
"it was about a contract, and sometimes in the world of both business and sports, that's all it comes down to"

That sentence should be enough to put this to rest......but sadly it isnt.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
3/26/2010 10:16am
Glen Helen only wanted the deal that most of the of the other National track were getting, MX Sport did not want to do that which remains unexplained.
3/26/2010 10:18am
all I know for a fact is this.... in the last 2 years since DC and MXSports have taken over, I have watched more outdoor MX on tv less than 24 hours after the race than ever before. I got to watch it live on several occasions.

Having been to a few nationals, I will say this. If you want to be a dirt grubbing sport, like we are now, then keep things as they are. If you want to become a bigger sport and attract NEW faces to the races, tracks will HAVE to improve their onsite infrastucture. We are core, we dont mind driving 2, 4, 12 hours to get to a track out in the middle of nowhere. We dont mind sitting in the sun, and the dust for 8 to 12 hours. Because we race also. You want new people, you have to crater to them to entice them to show up. OR you have to have a tv package so they can become consistent fans watching, which actually is better for the growth of our sport cash wise/sponsor wise, than new faces at the track.

DC, you are doing just fine. Stay the course.
Trip
3/26/2010 10:23am
Here's another thought.. I have read the riders complain about tracks being in the middle of nowhere, hard to get to, have to dive so far from the airport to the track, and so on.. Glen Helen is 10 minutes from hotels, 20 minutes away from an airport, and 15 minutes away from a mall and resturaunts. Ever been to Pala????

It is the closest track to my house, but I really never ride there. If Pala does get the race, I will lose even more respect for MX Sports. If they would of just come out and said "we are looking to go in another direction," I could of understood. This bs of giving them a one year deal so Pala could get the ducks in a row, is a chicken shit move.

Props to DC for coming on here and trying to set things straight. Respect given for that!

I guess I'll let it go.. Afterall Guy B said it isn't the biggest story of the year, somehow Reed and Stewart being injured eclipses a national track not being on the circuit.. Even if he feels differently, he isn't the kind of guy to have a public opinion..
500guy
3/26/2010 10:25am
OW38B wrote:
Glen Helen only wanted the deal that most of the of the other National track were getting, MX Sport did not want to do that which...
Glen Helen only wanted the deal that most of the of the other National track were getting, MX Sport did not want to do that which remains unexplained.
What explanation do you want ?

Glen Helen did not want to invest / upgrade so they were offered a 1 yr deal to see if they would perform.

They rejected it. the deal is off.

OW38B
Fantasy
181st
3/26/2010 10:29am
Seems as though Glen Helen was not on MX Sports roadmap of the future no matter what Glen Helen did or did not do.

From a PR standpoint it was not the brightest thing MX Sports could have done.
FLvet
3/26/2010 10:29am
DC wrote:
McCread, sorry, it's just that this has so little to do with GPs or road racing courses (which was a whole different thread here altogether) and...

DC

MX Sports
You know DC the way you keep posting and offering up a little more spin on the situation tells me you are in the wrong line of work. You need to run for political office. I think you'd be a natural fit there. Robert Byrd can't live forever and I doubt you were ever in the KKK so you have a leg up there.
3/26/2010 10:30am
Trip wrote:
Here's another thought.. I have read the riders complain about tracks being in the middle of nowhere, hard to get to, have to dive so far...
Here's another thought.. I have read the riders complain about tracks being in the middle of nowhere, hard to get to, have to dive so far from the airport to the track, and so on.. Glen Helen is 10 minutes from hotels, 20 minutes away from an airport, and 15 minutes away from a mall and resturaunts. Ever been to Pala????

It is the closest track to my house, but I really never ride there. If Pala does get the race, I will lose even more respect for MX Sports. If they would of just come out and said "we are looking to go in another direction," I could of understood. This bs of giving them a one year deal so Pala could get the ducks in a row, is a chicken shit move.

Props to DC for coming on here and trying to set things straight. Respect given for that!

I guess I'll let it go.. Afterall Guy B said it isn't the biggest story of the year, somehow Reed and Stewart being injured eclipses a national track not being on the circuit.. Even if he feels differently, he isn't the kind of guy to have a public opinion..
I guess I'll let it go.

Post a reply to: So what did I miss?

The Latest