So what did I miss?

DC
3/25/2010 6:12am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:58am
Sorry, I was away from my computer last night....

There's no way around it: change is never easy. Glen Helen's decision to cancel their 2010 national over the length of their new contract is as surprising as it is disappointing. It leaves us no choice but to move forward and find a new facility in Southern California.

I feel bad for the fans of Glen Helen, as well as the ones who have already made travels plans for Memorial Day weekend. I promise everyone that we will do our best to find a suitable replacement, though the date will now likely be the second weekend in September.

I hope that what MX Sports and the rest of the promoters have managed to do in the last year to raise the quality of the events, the exposure of the series on television and online, to satisfy the riders and their teams, as well as their sponsors and their fans, is not forgotten in this moment of change. This was a business decision made by a longtime promoter, and I respect Mr. Feldkamp's decision not to continue with the series.

MX Sports has a vision of what AMA Pro Motocross should be, and most in the industry seem to agree with what we've done so far. But we have a lot more work to do, and you can count on us to do it.

DC
MX Sports
|
neysbo
3/25/2010 6:17am
oh man , your to funny. I am sure you knew you would get blasted on here as seen in the other threads. But as you have also read , it looks about 50/50 on supporting you as well. I have faith that this was not easy or fun but a business decision.

Progress can be tough ,keep moving forward.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1267th
3/25/2010 6:22am
Man, it sure must not be easy with the usual "don't change a thing" shouts from the nucleus core of the fans.

Having a break after Hangtown and coming back to the West Coast after Steel City is definitely going to be a home run with riders and teams based in SoCal.
Digger437
3/25/2010 6:27am
DC keep on your vision! Sometimes change is good. Maybe Gainesville will come back, or Sears Point. Long live the mx dream.
JohnnyO_57
3/25/2010 6:29am
DC

You have an extremely tough road ahead. It's not easy being on the "hot" seat...

But don't let the detractors derail the progress that you have already made. Keep on keeping on!

The Nationals have improved over the past year in many wonderful ways, I look forward to seeing what you guys implement next!

The Shop

Dirt_Dawg
Fantasy
2740th
3/25/2010 6:30am
That track looked like shit anyway, boo hoo.
ktm300hater
3/25/2010 6:32am
Change is never easy,but since your changing things how about some rider insurance coverage so guys like James Marshall arent left out in the cold. These guys are the show and are forgotten when they get hurt. Or how about not making them pay to race since again they are the reason people are coming in the first place....
RACERX69
3/25/2010 6:42am
DC,

I realize you're running a business here, but you DON'T let a race fall through the cracks 60 day's from the gate drop!!!! You do what it takes to make it happen. If you want to play hardball, do it after May 29th for chriss sakes!!
flarider
3/25/2010 6:47am
RACERX69 wrote:
DC, I realize you're running a business here, but you [u][b]DON'T[/b][/u] let a race fall through the cracks 60 day's from the gate drop!!!! You do...
DC,

I realize you're running a business here, but you DON'T let a race fall through the cracks 60 day's from the gate drop!!!! You do what it takes to make it happen. If you want to play hardball, do it after May 29th for chriss sakes!!
Why do you assume HE let something fall through the cracks?

If you read what he said, GH CHOSE TO NOT PARTICIPATE

How is that his fault?

It's business.
One side chooses to not continue the business relationship for whatever reason
DoctorJD
3/25/2010 6:48am
Doom and gloom.
This sport survived the demise of a lot more sacred tracks than GH. If the trade-off is more exposure, i.e., live (HD) races on my living room TV , then wipe the slate clean and start with a whole new series of tracks as far as I'm concerned.
MX Culture
3/25/2010 6:51am
Let's have it at Carlsbad! No, De Anza! Where's Competition Park when you need it? Is Ascot available that weekend?
RACERX69
3/25/2010 6:51am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:39pm
Sounds as if DC was trying to shove something down their throats and they didn't want to swallow. That's fine and dandy, but like I said...YOU DON'T DO IT 60 DAY'S OUT!!!
You do what it takes to make it happen this year. In other words, you appease Feldcamp and then you kick his ass to the curb subsequent to May 29th!!! I'm still hoping I'm having a horrible nightmare and have yet to have woken up!!
RACERX69
3/25/2010 6:54am
DoctorJD wrote:
Doom and gloom. This sport survived the demise of a lot more sacred tracks than GH. If the trade-off is more exposure, i.e., live (HD) races...
Doom and gloom.
This sport survived the demise of a lot more sacred tracks than GH. If the trade-off is more exposure, i.e., live (HD) races on my living room TV , then wipe the slate clean and start with a whole new series of tracks as far as I'm concerned.
You've obviously never witnessed an Outdoor National in person at Glen Helen!!!!

You sound like a lazy couch potato to me!
MotoBill51
3/25/2010 6:54am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:39pm
"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in a time of crisis, hide behind the Status Quo."

You ever need a beer Dave, you got a few cold ones waiting for you in Wisconsin. Brats and Real cheese too - not that "happy cow" stuff from out West. Do what you gotta do buddy!
3/25/2010 6:57am
Check.
Next
2 minute motos
smoother tracks
paved parking
more painted dirt
signage as obstacles
Grass everywhere.
FLAGGERS THAT DO NOT SLEEP WHILE THE RACES ARE GOING ON
The list goes on.
flarider
3/25/2010 6:57am
RACERX69 wrote:
Sounds as if DC was trying to shove something down their throats and they didn't want to swallow. That's fine and dandy, but like I said...YOU...
Sounds as if DC was trying to shove something down their throats and they didn't want to swallow. That's fine and dandy, but like I said...YOU DON'T DO IT 60 DAY'S OUT!!!
You do what it takes to make it happen this year. In other words, you appease Feldcamp and then you kick his ass to the curb subsequent to May 29th!!! I'm still hoping I'm having a horrible nightmare and have yet to have woken up!!
Let me repeat this again....

GH chose to not participate. I would say it is highly unlikely MX Sports put the contract under their noses only a few days ago.

All the advertising and promotional listed GH on the schedule, showing that MX Sports had every intention of GH being a part of the series, GH decided otherwise.

If someone doesn't want to be part of the program, they don't have to be part of the program.
If someone chooses to not come to an agreement or sign a contract, they don't have to.

COMMON SENSE tells you this has been ongoing for some time, not as some recent development.
COMMON SENSE would tell you that contract negotiations began months ago, if not as soon as the series ended last year.

If you don't want to be part of the team, you don't have to be
DanDunes818
3/25/2010 7:07am
I call BS DC .. GH is MX..GH was here before mx sports and it will still be there after mx sportd is replaced. If GH didn't want to participate it was because the terms were unreasonable.. GH doesn't want to shorten their track, grade it before every moto , and give into the total change of outdoor mx as we knew it. I think GH should be rewarded for standing their ground on this one. Last year GH was the only track that was real mx and they intend to keep it that way despite mx sports demands. I think we need more track owners like them. I started a 10 page thread last year about how smooth the tracks were except GH and now I know why they were all so smooth. MX is supposed to be on rough tracks not freeways. If you can't sell mx to the TV people the way it was meant to be I say don't sell it at all.
Outsider
3/25/2010 7:08am
Shenzi wrote:
Man, it sure must not be easy with the usual "don't change a thing" shouts from the nucleus core of the fans. Having a break after...
Man, it sure must not be easy with the usual "don't change a thing" shouts from the nucleus core of the fans.

Having a break after Hangtown and coming back to the West Coast after Steel City is definitely going to be a home run with riders and teams based in SoCal.
How's that dictate?

Losing GH is not a good thing, or good "change" at all... IMO. I was all set to take my son this year as he is finally old enough to "get it". Glen Helen is a spectacle, an awesome experience like no other around here. I'm not going to the f-ing reservation to see a national.

Not blaming anyone in particular, just giving my .02.

Over.
fastmq
3/25/2010 7:10am
yes pala i hope so Woohoo
munsch121
3/25/2010 7:12am
To all the so-cal fans and what not crying about losing a national, get over it, you have like 15 supercross races there for god's sake !!!

The best way to expand that motocross horizon is to, well, expand !? for 2011 To hell with looking for another track in So-Cal, look for another track in an un-touched part of the country, one that would be itching to hold a national. The southeastern US is starving for one.

Like I said in another post, the only thing that sucks about having a race dropped right now is the timing. As fans some look at it like "damn that track was cool" but all the behind the scenes shit that must already be on paper like team and TV travel plans, TV schedules, sponsorship contracts....I just dont understand why the "people involved" couldn't just say "you know what, this is bullshit, I hate you, your a jerk IN 2011 WE ARE DONE" but what do I know, I am a dumb upstate NY hillbilly
Holigan
3/25/2010 7:13am
As Dave stated, MXSports has been advertising GH on the schedule for a long time. It does not sound like they had intentions of not racing there in 2010.

If the riders, teams and sponsors would prefer to race at Pala instead of GH, which track should get the National?

rc4187
3/25/2010 7:20am
DC wrote:
Sorry, I was away from my computer last night....There's no way around it: change is never easy. Glen Helen's decision to cancel their 2010 national over...

There's no way around it: change is never easy. Glen Helen's decision to cancel their 2010 national over the length of their new contract is as surprising as it is disappointing. It leaves us no choice but to move forward and find a new facility in Southern California.

I feel bad for the fans of Glen Helen, as well as the ones who have already made travels plans for Memorial Day weekend. I promise everyone that we will do our best to find a suitable replacement, though the date will now likely be the second weekend in September.

I hope that what MX Sports and the rest of the promoters have managed to do in the last year to raise the quality of the events, the exposure of the series on television and online, to satisfy the riders and their teams, as well as their sponsors and their fans, is not forgotten in this moment of change. This was a business decision made by a longtime promoter, and I respect Mr. Feldkamp's decision not to continue with the series.

MX Sports has a vision of what AMA Pro Motocross should be, and most in the industry seem to agree with what we've done so far. But we have a lot more work to do, and you can count on us to do it.

DC
MX Sports
This is pretty much what I got out of the MXA announcement as well. Motocross will continue on... and for those Glen Helen core people, they are still having a pro race there... just not under mx sports. So Glen Helen will still exist.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
3/25/2010 7:23am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2010 7:23am
Appeals to common sense on the internet? Tsk, tsk, Dave.
flarider
3/25/2010 7:26am
Appeals to common sense on the internet? Tsk, tsk, Dave.
Sorry
My bad
Huckster
3/25/2010 7:32am
munsch121 wrote:
To all the so-cal fans and what not crying about losing a national, get over it, you have like 15 supercross races there for god's sake...
To all the so-cal fans and what not crying about losing a national, get over it, you have like 15 supercross races there for god's sake !!!

The best way to expand that motocross horizon is to, well, expand !? for 2011 To hell with looking for another track in So-Cal, look for another track in an un-touched part of the country, one that would be itching to hold a national. The southeastern US is starving for one.

Like I said in another post, the only thing that sucks about having a race dropped right now is the timing. As fans some look at it like "damn that track was cool" but all the behind the scenes shit that must already be on paper like team and TV travel plans, TV schedules, sponsorship contracts....I just dont understand why the "people involved" couldn't just say "you know what, this is bullshit, I hate you, your a jerk IN 2011 WE ARE DONE" but what do I know, I am a dumb upstate NY hillbilly
the southeast has 3 SX...just saying
stillwelding
3/25/2010 7:38am
DC wrote:
Sorry, I was away from my computer last night....There's no way around it: change is never easy. Glen Helen's decision to cancel their 2010 national over...

DC
MX Sports
Thanks for keeping us informed. Good luck DC. Everything will be OK. Fran says Hello.
3/25/2010 7:41am
RACERX69 wrote:
Sounds as if DC was trying to shove something down their throats and they didn't want to swallow. That's fine and dandy, but like I said...YOU...
flarider wrote:
Let me repeat this again.... GH chose to not participate. I would say it is highly unlikely MX Sports put the contract under their noses only...

GH chose to not participate. I would say it is highly unlikely MX Sports put the contract under their noses only a few days ago.

All the advertising and promotional listed GH on the schedule, showing that MX Sports had every intention of GH being a part of the series, GH decided otherwise.

If someone doesn't want to be part of the program, they don't have to be part of the program.
If someone chooses to not come to an agreement or sign a contract, they don't have to.

COMMON SENSE tells you this has been ongoing for some time, not as some recent development.
COMMON SENSE would tell you that contract negotiations began months ago, if not as soon as the series ended last year.

Good luck DC, and keep the vision
FLvet
3/25/2010 8:09am
There's two sides to every story and I'm sure GH has theirs. The truth is in the middle which means both sides had issues and they didn't get resolved so one party quit.
jbomx363
3/25/2010 8:12am
RACERX69 wrote:
flarider wrote:
Let me repeat this again.... GH chose to not participate. I would say it is highly unlikely MX Sports put the contract under their noses only...

Good luck DC, and keep the vision
X3. Keep on keepin on.
Grendel
3/25/2010 8:14am
Glen Helen once gave me a dirty look. Good riddance.

Post a reply to: So what did I miss?

The Latest