So, the Altitude at SLC.........Advantage Tomac?

9bro9
5/19/2020 1:53pm
BobbyM wrote:
Anderson from Rio Rathole New Mexico. 5300 asl.

Tomac from Cortez COLORADO. 6200

Everybody else anywhere USA. 50 feet bsl.
OG725 wrote:
I saw somebody saying Anderson couldn’t acclimate. Thought that was ludicrous. Now look up the normal Density Altitude of those locations. I’m betting Rio Rathole normally...
I saw somebody saying Anderson couldn’t acclimate. Thought that was ludicrous. Now look up the normal Density Altitude of those locations. I’m betting Rio Rathole normally reads like it’s 9000’ above sea level.
OG725 wrote:
Both Cortez and ABQ are reading about 9000’ DA now. SLC is reading about 7800’.
Just to clarify for those who are speculating:

Salt Lake City Average Elevation : 4,327 ft above sea level

St. George, UT Average Elevation : 2,800 ft above sea level (I've found conflicting data from 2700'-2880')

Cortez, CO Elevation : 6,191 ft above sea level

Rio Rancho, NM Elevation : 5,282 ft above sea level

Corona, Ca Elevation : 679 ft above sea level (majority of test tracks for a reference point of elevation changes)

OG725
5/19/2020 2:32pm
OG725 wrote:
I saw somebody saying Anderson couldn’t acclimate. Thought that was ludicrous. Now look up the normal Density Altitude of those locations. I’m betting Rio Rathole normally...
I saw somebody saying Anderson couldn’t acclimate. Thought that was ludicrous. Now look up the normal Density Altitude of those locations. I’m betting Rio Rathole normally reads like it’s 9000’ above sea level.
OG725 wrote:
Both Cortez and ABQ are reading about 9000’ DA now. SLC is reading about 7800’.
9bro9 wrote:
Just to clarify for those who are speculating: Salt Lake City Average Elevation :[b] 4,327 ft above sea level[/b] St. George, UT Average Elevation : [b]2,800...
Just to clarify for those who are speculating:

Salt Lake City Average Elevation : 4,327 ft above sea level

St. George, UT Average Elevation : 2,800 ft above sea level (I've found conflicting data from 2700'-2880')

Cortez, CO Elevation : 6,191 ft above sea level

Rio Rancho, NM Elevation : 5,282 ft above sea level

Corona, Ca Elevation : 679 ft above sea level (majority of test tracks for a reference point of elevation changes)

Density Altitude is different from actual altitude.
Titanium
5/19/2020 2:55pm
Racer111 wrote:
It will get easier for them as the races go on. Takes about two weeks for a body to start to acclimate to the higher altitude...
It will get easier for them as the races go on. Takes about two weeks for a body to start to acclimate to the higher altitude. Being there, racing and training, The first week would be the worst for those not conditioned to altitude. Anderson will get stronger each round.

For those that don’t know, training at altitude is literally legalized doping. It raises the body’s hematocrit level. This is what Tomac always has the huge pushes 2/3 through an outdoor race while everyone else is getting gassed.

In the US Colorado is where all the best endurance athletes live and train. I’m surprised more MX guys haven’t decided to make this a base. Supercross is only a 20 min race, so it’s not as much of an advantage, but outdoors where there are two 37 min moto’s it would be. Especially mid to late second moto.
This guys... I was a sponsored, competitive, age group Triathlete for 12 years and this is the principle I followed. I lived and trained in Fort Collins Co and traveled to many low altitude Tri's. It truly is like OP said legalized doping! One thing I would add is the closer you arrive to the event when you are going from Low altitude to High altitude the better you will perform. The window for top performance closes quickly once your there. After that first day it takes 2 weeks or so to acclimate properly. Many top pros in Tri literally arrived morning of the event for best performance. I realize this is impractical for mx for many reasons. If it were me racing I would be heading out to SLC NOW!
KX500
5/19/2020 3:54pm
Titanium - Great Post - Thanks!

Posts from people who have actually 'been there, done that' are way better than the speculation from the rest of us (me included).

And your comment of:

"One thing I would add is the closer you arrive to the event when you are going from Low altitude to High altitude the better you will perform. The window for top performance closes quickly once your there. After that first day it takes 2 weeks or so to acclimate properly. Many top pros in Tri literally arrived morning of the event for best performance. I realize this is impractical for mx for many reasons. If it were me racing I would be heading out to SLC NOW!"

leads me to figure that surely every factory team is somewhere at altitude by now, trying to acclimate before 5-31.

But the guys who don't have anywhere to ride/practice at altitude, would seem to be at a disadvantage.

And Tomac can stay at home until he has to be in Utah.

The Shop

Bike Rat
5/19/2020 4:01pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2020 4:04pm
Racer111 wrote:
It will get easier for them as the races go on. Takes about two weeks for a body to start to acclimate to the higher altitude...
It will get easier for them as the races go on. Takes about two weeks for a body to start to acclimate to the higher altitude. Being there, racing and training, The first week would be the worst for those not conditioned to altitude. Anderson will get stronger each round.

For those that don’t know, training at altitude is literally legalized doping. It raises the body’s hematocrit level. This is what Tomac always has the huge pushes 2/3 through an outdoor race while everyone else is getting gassed.

In the US Colorado is where all the best endurance athletes live and train. I’m surprised more MX guys haven’t decided to make this a base. Supercross is only a 20 min race, so it’s not as much of an advantage, but outdoors where there are two 37 min moto’s it would be. Especially mid to late second moto.
Titanium wrote:
This guys... I was a sponsored, competitive, age group Triathlete for 12 years and this is the principle I followed. I lived and trained in Fort...
This guys... I was a sponsored, competitive, age group Triathlete for 12 years and this is the principle I followed. I lived and trained in Fort Collins Co and traveled to many low altitude Tri's. It truly is like OP said legalized doping! One thing I would add is the closer you arrive to the event when you are going from Low altitude to High altitude the better you will perform. The window for top performance closes quickly once your there. After that first day it takes 2 weeks or so to acclimate properly. Many top pros in Tri literally arrived morning of the event for best performance. I realize this is impractical for mx for many reasons. If it were me racing I would be heading out to SLC NOW!
I’d head out there now, and probably bring some kind of hyperbaric chamber to sleep in. Remember Chad had something like that years ago.

You can make some real gains when you exercise about 3000- 4000 feet higher than you sleep.
resetjet
5/19/2020 4:07pm
Oldschool wrote:
GUY B.
I HATE the thumbs UP / thumbs DOWN
It would make me not want to post anything anymore.

What do you think...?
Why can you see who gave a thumbs uo but not a thumbs down. Maybe i am doing it wrong.
9bro9
5/19/2020 4:45pm
OG725 wrote:
Density Altitude is different from actual altitude.
I know that, simply putting the numbers I've looked at several times to compare in here for everyone else who may be wondering.
ts.p311
5/19/2020 4:48pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2020 4:48pm
731chopper wrote:
I’m not trying to challenge the legitimacy of it but it is hard for me to understand Anderson having issues in SLC related to altitude when...
I’m not trying to challenge the legitimacy of it but it is hard for me to understand Anderson having issues in SLC related to altitude when he’s from Albuquerque which is 1,000 feet higher in elevation.
That's what's weird about him having this problem now, because he grew up in high altitude with no problems, but now something has changed.
I really don't know much about altitude sickness, but am I wrong in thinking that if you stay at altitude, it will go away after 2-3 days?
5/19/2020 5:30pm
resetjet wrote:
Why can you see who gave a thumbs uo but not a thumbs down. Maybe i am doing it wrong.
Turn your screen upside down....then you can see who thumb-downed you.
captmoto
5/19/2020 8:18pm
Jason Anderson is from Edgewood and Rio Rancho, NM. The elevations are 4200 to 6700 ft. Would think that the acclimatization would come back to him but maybe he has been gone to long.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
5/19/2020 9:40pm
KX500 wrote:
Titanium - Great Post - Thanks! Posts from people who have actually 'been there, done that' are way better than the speculation from the rest of...
Titanium - Great Post - Thanks!

Posts from people who have actually 'been there, done that' are way better than the speculation from the rest of us (me included).

And your comment of:

"One thing I would add is the closer you arrive to the event when you are going from Low altitude to High altitude the better you will perform. The window for top performance closes quickly once your there. After that first day it takes 2 weeks or so to acclimate properly. Many top pros in Tri literally arrived morning of the event for best performance. I realize this is impractical for mx for many reasons. If it were me racing I would be heading out to SLC NOW!"

leads me to figure that surely every factory team is somewhere at altitude by now, trying to acclimate before 5-31.

But the guys who don't have anywhere to ride/practice at altitude, would seem to be at a disadvantage.

And Tomac can stay at home until he has to be in Utah.

Everyone will have to be there a couple days ahead to get tested, and allow time for results to come back. That takes 48 hours.
teamddr
5/20/2020 7:19am
So by this logic a Himalayan Sherpa that can shread could woop Eli and Kroc
And take down the SX title
5/20/2020 7:27am
captmoto wrote:
Jason Anderson is from Edgewood and Rio Rancho, NM. The elevations are 4200 to 6700 ft. Would think that the acclimatization would come back to him...
Jason Anderson is from Edgewood and Rio Rancho, NM. The elevations are 4200 to 6700 ft. Would think that the acclimatization would come back to him but maybe he has been gone to long.
I'd figure that age, training stress, and having to ride HARD might have something to do with it? I don't know nuthin', though.
logan_140
5/21/2020 2:23pm
Is there practice with the new format? How are gate picks determined?
Shaned9326
5/21/2020 2:33pm
Biggest advantage tomac has is that he’s faster than the rest this year!!🤑🤑🤑

Post a reply to: So, the Altitude at SLC.........Advantage Tomac?

The Latest