So over this Dungey/Reed thing... let's talk ET

RJMX834
4/3/2017 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2017 12:22pm
RJMX834 wrote:
So let's Talk about Tomac. This guy's a man on a mission. it's been a good 4 years since we've seen anyone with his dominance indoors...
So let's Talk about Tomac. This guy's a man on a mission. it's been a good 4 years since we've seen anyone with his dominance indoors. It's inspiring watching him do what he's doing. I am rooting for ET to win this thing. So for those of you who didn't believe 2-3 rounds ago he was gonna get any closer, you choosing him now?
UpTiTe wrote:
4 years since we've seen this dominance? Did you miss the last 2 years.?
SigPig wrote:
Didn't Dungey have the title wrapped up early with 10(9) wins last year, and 8 the year before? I guess that doesn't count as dominant because...
Didn't Dungey have the title wrapped up early with 10(9) wins last year, and 8 the year before?

I guess that doesn't count as dominant because people were hurt or retired though.
did he do it consecutively? ET is currently on a different level of dominance. They did say in the telecast that the last one to win 5 in a row was RV
mxb2
4/3/2017 12:23pm
wanglimp wrote:
So to defend the OP from the Dungey nut huggers, since you think 15 and 16 were considered dominance. In 15 he won 8 races never...
So to defend the OP from the Dungey nut huggers, since you think 15 and 16 were considered dominance. In 15 he won 8 races never going over 3 wins in a row. In 16 he won 9 also never going more than 3 in a row. That's no small feat and solid consistency. Tomac already has 8 wins and has strung 5 in a row, with 4 rounds remaining. That's a difference between dominance and constitency. I'm not taking anything away from Dungey, but I wouldn't say his last two championships were won with the dominance we are seeing from Eli right now.
JBlain619 wrote:
So to defend the Dungey nuthuggers from the Dungey haters. How many titles does any other rider in the 15/16 seasons have vs Dungey? 3 to...
So to defend the Dungey nuthuggers from the Dungey haters. How many titles does any other rider in the 15/16 seasons have vs Dungey? 3 to 1 in favor of Dungey. That to me is pretty dominant.

Just to clarify, I like both Eli and Dungey. The hate Dungey receives is just so over the top its ridiculous.

I don't know when individual race wins became more important than titles. I guess right around the time jumping a single over a tabletop over a single became a quad instead of a triple! LaughingLaughingLaughing
The most wins don't mean shit, unless you win the title. Ask the golden state warriors.
mxb2
4/3/2017 12:24pm
RJMX834 wrote:
So let's Talk about Tomac. This guy's a man on a mission. it's been a good 4 years since we've seen anyone with his dominance indoors...
So let's Talk about Tomac. This guy's a man on a mission. it's been a good 4 years since we've seen anyone with his dominance indoors. It's inspiring watching him do what he's doing. I am rooting for ET to win this thing. So for those of you who didn't believe 2-3 rounds ago he was gonna get any closer, you choosing him now?
UpTiTe wrote:
RJMX834 wrote:
who dominated the last two years?
Dungey in sx.
RJMX834
4/3/2017 12:25pm
wanglimp wrote:
So to defend the OP from the Dungey nut huggers, since you think 15 and 16 were considered dominance. In 15 he won 8 races never...
So to defend the OP from the Dungey nut huggers, since you think 15 and 16 were considered dominance. In 15 he won 8 races never going over 3 wins in a row. In 16 he won 9 also never going more than 3 in a row. That's no small feat and solid consistency. Tomac already has 8 wins and has strung 5 in a row, with 4 rounds remaining. That's a difference between dominance and constitency. I'm not taking anything away from Dungey, but I wouldn't say his last two championships were won with the dominance we are seeing from Eli right now.
that is exactly my point. Thank you.

The Shop

4/3/2017 12:28pm
RJMX834 wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
I wouldn't say Dungey has "dominated". Unless your talking about Kenny dominating outdoors last year
RJMX834
4/3/2017 12:28pm
UpTiTe wrote:
RJMX834 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Dungey in sx.
IMO that was great consistency, which is great in its own right. but this is dominance.
USMCMXer
4/3/2017 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2017 12:54pm
wanglimp wrote:
Ummm, NO! Obviously you are have some blind bromance with Eli, but he isn't even the points leader. Sorry bro, not sure what you are trying to say, but it is full of fail. Look, it's all good if you don't like Dungey, it is the "cool" thing to do on Vital, but get real. Your version of consistency versus dominance is just a tad flawed. Total points gained at the end of a series shows who did the best, period. Say what you want about what-ifs, put a personal spin on it, whatever, but the points total at series end is the goal for every rider racing, end of story. Ask CR and JS if they would trade some of those race wins for titles, I'd venture to bet they would...

What would his streaks had been if Detroit, which we all know he did indeed win, counted? I know, it doesn't fit your scenario, but shit happens in this sport. Just wait and watch, this season is far from over.

Hopefully this title comes down to Vegas. the big winners are the fans and nothing can be taken from any of the competitors out there as they are doing something 99.99% of the rest of the world can only fantasize about.

Here's to some good racing...
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/3/2017 1:59pm
RJMX834 wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
RJMX834 wrote:
Well, Dungey.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/3/2017 2:02pm
RJMX834 wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
I wouldn't say Dungey has "dominated". Unless your talking about Kenny dominating outdoors last year
So wrapping up the title with three races to go one year and two races to go the other isn't domination?

Tough crowd
280driver
4/3/2017 2:28pm
Markee wrote:
If he gets a top 5 start, he is going to the front. At this point nobody is faster, and he knows it.
Turbojez wrote:
I'm pretty sure Dungey was closing in on Eli before you know what happened. Eli is incredible this year though, do you see any similarities to...
I'm pretty sure Dungey was closing in on Eli before you know what happened.

Eli is incredible this year though, do you see any similarities to RV's style?
I watched his riding really closely and thought "Damn, he looks a lot like RV" more than once.
RJMX834 wrote:
it's the way you have to ride that KX evidently. Tomac used to have to turn the bike with the front in corners. now he's finally...
it's the way you have to ride that KX evidently. Tomac used to have to turn the bike with the front in corners. now he's finally found s setup he likes and it's shown a difference in his style. now it's more with the rear wheel. like you said RV like.
My understanding is that the days of having to rear steer the KX ended with the '16. All my buddies say it has much more front end grip and can be setup to steer with the front or back. It would/will really be interesting to find up what change was made to his setup that made the difference.
RJMX834
4/3/2017 2:43pm
Turbojez wrote:
I'm pretty sure Dungey was closing in on Eli before you know what happened. Eli is incredible this year though, do you see any similarities to...
I'm pretty sure Dungey was closing in on Eli before you know what happened.

Eli is incredible this year though, do you see any similarities to RV's style?
I watched his riding really closely and thought "Damn, he looks a lot like RV" more than once.
RJMX834 wrote:
it's the way you have to ride that KX evidently. Tomac used to have to turn the bike with the front in corners. now he's finally...
it's the way you have to ride that KX evidently. Tomac used to have to turn the bike with the front in corners. now he's finally found s setup he likes and it's shown a difference in his style. now it's more with the rear wheel. like you said RV like.
280driver wrote:
My understanding is that the days of having to rear steer the KX ended with the '16. All my buddies say it has much more front...
My understanding is that the days of having to rear steer the KX ended with the '16. All my buddies say it has much more front end grip and can be setup to steer with the front or back. It would/will really be interesting to find up what change was made to his setup that made the difference.
I have a 16 Kx450 So you think id know since I've always has kawis... but however I'm not fast enough to tell the difference haha! Laughing
resetjet
4/3/2017 3:54pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
ET actually faded backwards this year and has turned it around to push forward. I've been watching racing for 40 years, I don't think I have...
ET actually faded backwards this year and has turned it around to push forward. I've been watching racing for 40 years, I don't think I have ever seen what he has done. It's way different than just getting stuck in a hole from a bad start and turning the starts around.
Very true. I have been watching tomac closely since he turned pro. On 250's sometimes a different tomac would show up, crash 3 times in a race and just look totally different. On 450's he seemed to mature, until his injury. He was unstoppable then. Then he switched brands and was not up to speed. His confidence had to be way low at the beginning of this season and up until he bent his brake. Now he knows he can win the championship. What is special about him is he can uncork a kamikazee ride if needed and is willing to do so. He somehow holds on. Even in the brief seconds of him passing for the lead he turns it way up, takes risks and gets to the front. He overjumps and just rides like he is getting shot at. It is awesome to watch. He is a real cool dude as well. Very humble but has the competitive spirit he learned from his dad. I just hope he doesnt get bit by the injury bug. He is gonna kill everyone outdoors. 30 second leads.
wanglimp
4/3/2017 5:20pm
wanglimp wrote:
JBlain619 wrote:
So to defend the Dungey nuthuggers from the Dungey haters. How many titles does any other rider in the 15/16 seasons have vs Dungey? 3 to...
So to defend the Dungey nuthuggers from the Dungey haters. How many titles does any other rider in the 15/16 seasons have vs Dungey? 3 to 1 in favor of Dungey. That to me is pretty dominant.

Just to clarify, I like both Eli and Dungey. The hate Dungey receives is just so over the top its ridiculous.

I don't know when individual race wins became more important than titles. I guess right around the time jumping a single over a tabletop over a single became a quad instead of a triple! LaughingLaughingLaughing
I'm not a Dungey hater, my point was that people were saying we haven't seen dominance like this in 4 years. I agree. Dungey did awesome clearly, but I don't think his winning seasons he dominated like Eli is right now. There is a difference. If you're not getting point then too bad.
wanglimp
4/3/2017 5:25pm
wanglimp wrote:
USMCMXer wrote:
Ummm, NO! Obviously you are have some blind bromance with Eli, but he isn't even the points leader. Sorry bro, not sure what you are trying...
Ummm, NO! Obviously you are have some blind bromance with Eli, but he isn't even the points leader. Sorry bro, not sure what you are trying to say, but it is full of fail. Look, it's all good if you don't like Dungey, it is the "cool" thing to do on Vital, but get real. Your version of consistency versus dominance is just a tad flawed. Total points gained at the end of a series shows who did the best, period. Say what you want about what-ifs, put a personal spin on it, whatever, but the points total at series end is the goal for every rider racing, end of story. Ask CR and JS if they would trade some of those race wins for titles, I'd venture to bet they would...

What would his streaks had been if Detroit, which we all know he did indeed win, counted? I know, it doesn't fit your scenario, but shit happens in this sport. Just wait and watch, this season is far from over.

Hopefully this title comes down to Vegas. the big winners are the fans and nothing can be taken from any of the competitors out there as they are doing something 99.99% of the rest of the world can only fantasize about.

Here's to some good racing...
Mellow out man, I think you misunderstood my point. Go eat some crayons and settle down.
RJMX834
4/3/2017 7:29pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
ET actually faded backwards this year and has turned it around to push forward. I've been watching racing for 40 years, I don't think I have...
ET actually faded backwards this year and has turned it around to push forward. I've been watching racing for 40 years, I don't think I have ever seen what he has done. It's way different than just getting stuck in a hole from a bad start and turning the starts around.
resetjet wrote:
Very true. I have been watching tomac closely since he turned pro. On 250's sometimes a different tomac would show up, crash 3 times in a...
Very true. I have been watching tomac closely since he turned pro. On 250's sometimes a different tomac would show up, crash 3 times in a race and just look totally different. On 450's he seemed to mature, until his injury. He was unstoppable then. Then he switched brands and was not up to speed. His confidence had to be way low at the beginning of this season and up until he bent his brake. Now he knows he can win the championship. What is special about him is he can uncork a kamikazee ride if needed and is willing to do so. He somehow holds on. Even in the brief seconds of him passing for the lead he turns it way up, takes risks and gets to the front. He overjumps and just rides like he is getting shot at. It is awesome to watch. He is a real cool dude as well. Very humble but has the competitive spirit he learned from his dad. I just hope he doesnt get bit by the injury bug. He is gonna kill everyone outdoors. 30 second leads.
Good posts guy's. cool way of breaking it down and looking at some insight on ET. when resetjet mentioned of Tomacs split second passes when he turns it on just look at this past weekend. blitzes the whoops psst dungey then dives to the inside like a missile and pushes dungey high with assertion. it's an amazing thing to watch.
dpip758
4/3/2017 7:36pm
I have to applaud how ET is doing right now it seems to me like everything is clicking just right, now if KTM is still going to go after him they better seriously up the ante. I think he finally got everything on the green machine figured out and fuck am i excited for outdoors to see if he can keep it up. I think Tomac has got to be the favorite right now, lets go ET3
RJMX834
4/3/2017 8:01pm
dpip758 wrote:
I have to applaud how ET is doing right now it seems to me like everything is clicking just right, now if KTM is still going...
I have to applaud how ET is doing right now it seems to me like everything is clicking just right, now if KTM is still going to go after him they better seriously up the ante. I think he finally got everything on the green machine figured out and fuck am i excited for outdoors to see if he can keep it up. I think Tomac has got to be the favorite right now, lets go ET3
+1
Sully22
4/3/2017 8:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2017 8:02pm
ET3 is on another level right now. He has almost erased a 29 point lead since Arlington, won the last 7 of 8 races, including 5 in a row, and tightened the points battle to a 4 point deficit with 4 rounds remaining. That's a dangerous level of confidence the competition has handed him.
bobojim
4/3/2017 9:12pm
bobojim wrote:
Tomac actually looked unsure of himself at a few points in the interviews. I think he was uncomfortable on the track in the second half of...
Tomac actually looked unsure of himself at a few points in the interviews. I think he was uncomfortable on the track in the second half of the race (not nevessarily slower, but not flowing - per his interview statements) and knows it was lucky to be that easy. I saw a little chink in his confidence level. Not saying i know what would have happened or that he will struggle next week. Just interesting. I think he was most unsure just after the race for the first interview trackside.
kkawboy14 wrote:
They were all uncomfortable in the second half. The track was beat and Dungey lost another 5 seconds to Tomac after he passed Reed.
Yes agreed. But what about the nervousness. Tomac is so reliant on confidence and feeling it. Just wondering how much if any this has been impacted

Post a reply to: So over this Dungey/Reed thing... let's talk ET

The Latest