So now that riding like Dungey

dcg141
Seems to be all the rage. Are you checkers or wreckers fans disappointed? You must be because there is a "Whats wrong with Eli" thread started and he sits in 2nd place in the points. It was always "boring Dungey managing the championship we all know he is not the fastest guy".
|
Kawi15
1/20/2019 6:36am
If in fact that, that is what he is up to. It is a very smart tactic if one has confidence and speed.
dcg141
1/20/2019 6:45am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 6:46am
Ryan most likely had that other gear but knew that speed was not sustainable over the course of the season without coming off the bike. He had the racecraft and discipline to let that play out over the long term.
Bermworm
1/20/2019 7:00am
Dungey is now always was and forever will be one of the greatest of all time.Period.P.S. 1. Carmichael 2. Mcgrath 3. Dungey.
Flatliner
1/20/2019 7:07am
I’m still curious which title, specifically the dunge rode this way. Because I can only think of one which would be 2017, after a broken neck. Seems to me, every other title, he also won the most races as well. It’s a funny perception.

The Shop

Excaliburbmx
1/20/2019 7:12am
I’m not a fan of it. I like the charge of the bull not the prance of the horse.
downard254
1/20/2019 7:27am
Except the difference, Dungey was always on the podium, or at worst 4th. He seemed conservative, but he was always fast.
HD1200
1/20/2019 7:36am
Bermworm wrote:
Dungey is now always was and forever will be one of the greatest of all time.Period.P.S. 1. Carmichael 2. Mcgrath 3. Dungey.
No, no, there is something wrong here. Yes Dungey is and always will be one of the best, but.....
1/20/2019 7:40am
Bermworm wrote:
How can you rate Dungey above Villopoto when Villopoto won 4 straight SX titles against him?
Bermworm
1/20/2019 8:16am
Bermworm wrote:
How can you rate Dungey above Villopoto when Villopoto won 4 straight SX titles against him?
Most titles shortest period of time indoors/outdoors combined U.S. racers only.Plus I have this fantasy in my head where if you ask each Ryan who the better racer was they each say the other one.
kkawboy14
1/20/2019 8:19am
I would rather see him just flat out smoke everyone every week,,, and win the championship
1/20/2019 8:23am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 8:29am
Bermworm wrote:
Bermworm wrote:
Most titles shortest period of time indoors/outdoors combined U.S. racers only.Plus I have this fantasy in my head where if you ask each Ryan who the...
Most titles shortest period of time indoors/outdoors combined U.S. racers only.Plus I have this fantasy in my head where if you ask each Ryan who the better racer was they each say the other one.
Yeah maybe, but he couldn't beat RV to a title. Even outdoors, didn't RV win every season he was healthy?
TDeath21
1/20/2019 8:25am
I like Dungey and he’s one of my favorite riders ever, but let’s not pretend he changed the way you win a championship. Carmichael was always consistent. McGrath was always consistent. The list goes on. Of course they win a lot too, but the checkers or wreckers mentality has never and will never win a lot of championships. Most would agree that Stewart at his very best is faster than any other SX rider ever at their very best. Yet he “only” won two championships.
Forty
1/20/2019 8:33am
Here we go. Arvee vs Dunge. Man I’m glad this has come up. No one talks about it and I think it’s important to discuss it at least once.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/20/2019 8:39am
Forty wrote:
Here we go. Arvee vs Dunge. Man I’m glad this has come up. No one talks about it and I think it’s important to discuss it...
Here we go. Arvee vs Dunge. Man I’m glad this has come up. No one talks about it and I think it’s important to discuss it at least once.
LoL
They were both Rad they combined pretty much dominated
For 10 years and solidly cemented there names in the record books.
I wonder how many Moto guys named there sons Ryan during that 10 year period.
I did i Have a 10 year old son named Ryan.
Fourth_Floor
1/20/2019 9:19am
Watching RV got me back into watching/following the sport after about a decade of being out of the loop. His riding style literally had me jumping out of my seat and shouting at the screen, like getting an adrenaline rush watching him ride haha. His last year riding professionally I even got the wife hooked on watching the races every Saturday. Next season rolls by without him and she lost interest and quit watching, no biggie, I was still enjoying the racing and Kenny and Eli were becoming really exciting to watch, especially the clinics they were putting on outdoors.

I don't know what it is about this season but I'm finding myself losing interest and not really caring to stay up and watch the race. Perhaps it's the Dungey-esque championship managing style that's making for not so exciting rides by the top guys, like if they don't get a good start they are automatically in points management mode vs trying to win the race. I don't know, something definitely seems different though. Nothing gets you on the edge of your seat (as a fan) like seeing a rider mid pack that is hell bent on getting to 1st.

I think maybe they should make some changes to the points system to really give a lot more emphasis on race wins like if you rack up x amount of race wins you can toss your worst result or something to motivate these top guys to want to get to the front instead of dicking around in damage control if they don't get a great start. Something is for sure different though. I'm just a no name Joe Schmo that would start getting exited mid week to watch the race Saturday night and this season so far has me not really caring that much.

In before "find another sport to watch douche bag".
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/20/2019 9:23am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 9:24am
I think there is plenty of action but Camera work seems off, like watching only the front runners.
Like a lot is being not shown,
I know what you mean about someone just riding like an animal though, Webb and Osborne both had that eye of the tiger crazy charge speed in 250's
And nobody has really shown that this year, but there has still been a lot if action, imo the hardest charger has been Ferrandis.
Sideways
1/20/2019 9:35am
Kawi15 wrote:
If in fact that, that is what he is up to. It is a very smart tactic if one has confidence and speed.
Eli even said so in the press conference.
TDeath21
1/20/2019 9:39am
Tarz483 wrote:
I think there is plenty of action but Camera work seems off, like watching only the front runners. Like a lot is being not shown, I...
I think there is plenty of action but Camera work seems off, like watching only the front runners.
Like a lot is being not shown,
I know what you mean about someone just riding like an animal though, Webb and Osborne both had that eye of the tiger crazy charge speed in 250's
And nobody has really shown that this year, but there has still been a lot if action, imo the hardest charger has been Ferrandis.
The epitome of this example “only showing the front runners” is when a top guy is forced to go to the LCQ. The only thing we get to see in that race is the top guy ride at about 50% like he’s on a Sunday stroll and win big. That’s all the announcers talk about too. Meanwhile there’s a three rider battle for the transfer spot that they don’t care about. I will say though they’re usually good about showing us that fourth place battle when a top guy isn’t in the race. Top guy in the LCQ though I just get some other stuff done after the start because if I wanted to watch the top guy just ride around at half pace then I’d rewatch some practice from earlier in the day.
Hank_Thrill
1/20/2019 9:54am
Guys will start turning up the heat when it becomes necessary. Right now nobody is feeling the pressure, except Barcia. His anger last weekend makes me think he was feeling the weight of the red plate.
Phantom 661
1/20/2019 10:03am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 10:05am
Well, the term "boring" is subjective. "Managing the Championship" is objective. Both Ryan's were very good at the latter. However, no rider was better at staying on their "prancing hoarse?" than Dungey. I'm not convinced that Eli or any other current rider has developed that trait. Closest one to it in my opinion was Ando last season. But that was last season. Dungey was superb at "managing" whether he won the championship or not. Its one thing to try and have the long game in mind... but its quite another to emulate RD"s racing stability. Outside the top ten only twice his whole SX career. Its still pretty early. We'll see who rises above soon.
Claerhout
Fantasy
363rd
1/20/2019 3:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 4:01pm
I dont think anyone is letting up. Its that riders are willing to take a L vs riding over their head. Does anyone actually think Dungey gave up Ws? He realized that its smarter to let another rider win when they are faster than his comfort zone. Kept him healthy and in the hunt. Why would anyone not want that?!
mark_swart
1/21/2019 9:42pm
Kenny and Eli have both thrown away solid shots at championships before even getting out of California the past few years. I don't expect either of them will be content with 2-4 for very long -- I'm sure neither of them are happy with it now -- but they have learned lessons the hard way the past few years. Let's give this championship a few more rounds before we make assumptions about their strategy. The west coast rounds are just setting the stage for an epic title fight.
BLC8377
1/21/2019 10:22pm
Bermworm wrote:
Bermworm wrote:
Most titles shortest period of time indoors/outdoors combined U.S. racers only.Plus I have this fantasy in my head where if you ask each Ryan who the...
I'm not sure that's right? Didn't RV race full time from 06-14? and RD from 07-17? RV won 9 titles not including his lites SX title, and Dungey only had 8 not including his lites SX title?

RV won 450 SX from 2011-2014, lites MX from 06-08, and 450 MX in 11' and 13'.

RD won lites MX in 09, then 450 SX in 10,15-17, 450 MX in 10, 12, 15.
kb228
1/22/2019 3:17am
Disclaimer: im a huge eli fan.

I started that thread because whether he won the 3rd moto or not hes not dropping the laptimes or passing guys like he normally does. One time he got passed my marvin and dropped anchor. He admitted himself he was just riding around. Getting worse finishes than 3rd is not dungey like. Since when is riding like dungey a good thing? mc stew reed rc and rv won titles by winning
newmann
1/22/2019 5:27am
Bermworm wrote:
Long game, Dungey wore him out. It may have taken an awful long time, but that's how Dungey rolls. Anyone who couldn't see that RV had the "f' it, I'm over this $hit" look on his face towards the end is blind. The effort required to beat Dungey was a pretty amazing one. Also, RV's balls to the wall riding bit him bad a few times as well.
aharper33
1/22/2019 5:50am
To me Dungey did change the way to win a championship. I think he was a more intellectual rider. I think there is a point where he rode for points more than he ever rode for wins. I could see him sitting down at the beginning of the season and figuring out that he need 368 points to win the championship because over the last 5 years that was the average points needed to win, and he would just try to stay on pace for that amount of points.
motomike137
1/22/2019 5:52am
Dungey was able to check his "toxic masculinity" at the door on the way into the stadium Wink
1/22/2019 7:17am
Bermworm wrote:
newmann wrote:
Long game, Dungey wore him out. It may have taken an awful long time, but that's how Dungey rolls. Anyone who couldn't see that RV had...
Long game, Dungey wore him out. It may have taken an awful long time, but that's how Dungey rolls. Anyone who couldn't see that RV had the "f' it, I'm over this $hit" look on his face towards the end is blind. The effort required to beat Dungey was a pretty amazing one. Also, RV's balls to the wall riding bit him bad a few times as well.
Agreed on all points except that Dungey wore him out, I think RV wore himself out and that he would have quit early even if it wasn't for Dungey. Isn't it pretty well known that he never really liked racing? And none of that makes Dungey better imo.
akillerwombat
1/22/2019 7:58am Edited Date/Time 1/22/2019 7:59am
Everything is cyclical.

Right now everyone caught on to what worked so well for Dungey but sooner or later someone is going to say "fuck this, I can push harder" and everyone will have to dial it up again.

It's the nature of everything.

Post a reply to: So now that riding like Dungey

The Latest