So...is Covington hurt?

Jordan421
Fantasy
2602nd
6/6/2019 7:34pm
If this is true, Husky needs to sit him. His confidence each week must be getting lower and lower with his results.
Ranman68
6/6/2019 7:40pm
If that is the same thing as mono, I can't fathom how he even raced at all. I had that once. I was sick as a dog with fever and an enlarged spleen. I couldn't do anything. I was 19 or 20 and in good shape, yet it still messed me up major. I've heard it affects people differently though. Either way, even being the slightest bit ill is going to make it way harder to compete, so I'm sure he will do well once he is fully healthy again.
EnvyXx
6/6/2019 7:50pm
Well atleast we now know what is up with him. Pretty shitty I was really looking forward to him for outdoors.

The Shop

agn5009
6/6/2019 8:49pm
Ranman68 wrote:
If that is the same thing as mono, I can't fathom how he even raced at all. I had that once. I was sick as a...
If that is the same thing as mono, I can't fathom how he even raced at all. I had that once. I was sick as a dog with fever and an enlarged spleen. I couldn't do anything. I was 19 or 20 and in good shape, yet it still messed me up major. I've heard it affects people differently though. Either way, even being the slightest bit ill is going to make it way harder to compete, so I'm sure he will do well once he is fully healthy again.
Same here. I had it when I was 22. Picked it up from some shot girl at the bar Laughing

It did suck though. I couldn’t do much for a while.
AngryBear
6/6/2019 9:13pm
EB is no joke. i had it when i was 24 and it took me down from pretty much anything for months.
DonM
6/7/2019 6:23am
Odd he busted out 30+ motos at perris and looked like he didn't break a sweat.
He's been living and training in FL with Tyla and maybe he "didn't break a sweat" because he couldn't give it his all...
Johnny Ringo
6/7/2019 6:33am
I had Mono in college. It's not some "mysterious disease". You feel like shit and know something is wrong. EB is the classic moto excuse. How many dudes had it in the 2000s? Ferry, Travis, etc. It's most commonly linked to those under performing.
DonM
6/7/2019 7:03am
I had Mono in college. It's not some "mysterious disease". You feel like shit and know something is wrong. EB is the classic moto excuse. How...
I had Mono in college. It's not some "mysterious disease". You feel like shit and know something is wrong. EB is the classic moto excuse. How many dudes had it in the 2000s? Ferry, Travis, etc. It's most commonly linked to those under performing.
Or over training....nice to have a real Dr's opinion on here.....
Stuntman949
6/7/2019 7:36am
I had Mono in college. It's not some "mysterious disease". You feel like shit and know something is wrong. EB is the classic moto excuse. How...
Mono is gnarly. You open your eyes for the first time that day and feel like you need to go to bed.
RonJon
6/7/2019 8:44am
I have heard older you are when you get it, the worse it affects you. I had it when I was 15 and missed two weeks of school and didn't feel 100% for probably a month or two after that. I could barely ride a bicycle. My buddy's little brother got it at this year and missed a whole semester of college. Went from being a totally active kid to a zombie.
hamncheeze
6/7/2019 10:34am
Get well soon Big Air Tom.

I find it interesting about the incidence of Epstein-Barr in Moto compared to professional road or MTB cycling. It seems to me the Moto guys have a much higher incidence rate, which seems weird as the total volume of training a pro road cyclist does is very very high. Not trying to read much into this, but just curious why Moto guys have more issues with EBV? Maybe age related, as the Moto kids embark on higher training volumes very young with not quite as much progression? Cycling tends to be very progressive for riders who come up through junior, U23, and then elite/pro. Maybe also just a better understanding of training? I see a lot of Moto guys just going at it helter-skelter and doing too much (even Dungey pre-Aldon says he didn't really know what he was doing).
Casting
6/7/2019 10:40am
There's plenty of athletic sports where athletes train harder and where corresponding rates of mononucleosis are lower.

The MX community just eats whatever is served to them without critical thinking.
Travis707
6/7/2019 11:34am
When someone breaks an arm, leg, etc, it's easy for people to see the injury and have empathy, sympathy and understanding. It's visual and there's no question the person is hurt. Look at all the positive and supportive social media comments when a racer posts injuries.

When someone has EB virus, Lyme Disease, an autoimmune disease, etc, people can't see it... they can't feel it... so most people can't really relate unless they've suffered from something like it. So, therefore, the person in question must be faking it, lazy, or whatever because they "look just fine". About zero empathy, sympathy or understanding from the ignorant. Just look at some of the comments in this thread. It's not just Vital... it's humans in general.

Thomas Covington is a professional racer and didn't get to where he is by being a slacker. His MXGP results prove that. He now has a diagnosis and can focus on getting better so he can show his true potential here. Best of luck to Thomas. I hope he recovers quickly and gets to the front of the pack soon.

hamncheeze
6/7/2019 11:48am
Travis707 wrote:
When someone breaks an arm, leg, etc, it's easy for people to see the injury and have empathy, sympathy and understanding. It's visual and there's no...
When someone breaks an arm, leg, etc, it's easy for people to see the injury and have empathy, sympathy and understanding. It's visual and there's no question the person is hurt. Look at all the positive and supportive social media comments when a racer posts injuries.

When someone has EB virus, Lyme Disease, an autoimmune disease, etc, people can't see it... they can't feel it... so most people can't really relate unless they've suffered from something like it. So, therefore, the person in question must be faking it, lazy, or whatever because they "look just fine". About zero empathy, sympathy or understanding from the ignorant. Just look at some of the comments in this thread. It's not just Vital... it's humans in general.

Thomas Covington is a professional racer and didn't get to where he is by being a slacker. His MXGP results prove that. He now has a diagnosis and can focus on getting better so he can show his true potential here. Best of luck to Thomas. I hope he recovers quickly and gets to the front of the pack soon.

So very true. In my mid-20s (post MX, racing MTB and road) I got sick with an EBV-like virus. No energy, liver enzymes all out of whack, neutropenia, and 25lb weight loss. Had a battery of tests, biopsies, and scopes and the exact cause was never determined (this was 1993 which is the medical dark ages relatively). I looked like a skeleton and felt like one. This was long before any social media, but even in my greater circle of friends/contacts there were rumours floating around that I was anorexic/bulemic.

So yeah, when people can't see what is wrong they just love to sling crap. I have sympathy for Covington, it's been obvious something is really wrong with him and hopefully he can get back to 100% and prove his doubters wrong in 2020.
RonJon
6/7/2019 1:01pm
hamncheeze wrote:
Get well soon Big Air Tom. I find it interesting about the incidence of Epstein-Barr in Moto compared to professional road or MTB cycling. It seems...

I find it interesting about the incidence of Epstein-Barr in Moto compared to professional road or MTB cycling. It seems to me the Moto guys have a much higher incidence rate, which seems weird as the total volume of training a pro road cyclist does is very very high. Not trying to read much into this, but just curious why Moto guys have more issues with EBV? Maybe age related, as the Moto kids embark on higher training volumes very young with not quite as much progression? Cycling tends to be very progressive for riders who come up through junior, U23, and then elite/pro. Maybe also just a better understanding of training? I see a lot of Moto guys just going at it helter-skelter and doing too much (even Dungey pre-Aldon says he didn't really know what he was doing).
I would also wager that most of the professional trainers in the cycling world have spent much of their lives studying nutrition and physiology. My chick is a physio and there is literally hours and hours just devoted to studying dieting and nutrition and how it affects muscle recovery and the immune system. You can really wreck your body if you make a sudden change to what you think is a super "healthy" diet and exercise plan.

As for the Epstein Barr, I did a project in college on it. Just about everyone has the virus, its similar to HPV in that you can get it from kissing, sharing cups, dirty gym equipment, etc... By the time you are an adult you usually have an immunity to it, because its likely what led to you getting mono when you're a teenager. The connection with sports is when an individual over trains, drastically changes their diet, and other factors that contribute to a weakened immune system, it can come back and lead to mono or chronic fatigue. Or they could have just never come in contact which is highly unlikely.

By no means am I a doctor, but, I would guess that we see a higher amount of cases in motocrossers because for the formative development years when they would get mono or contact the epstein barr virus, they are in small communities (training facilities) and don't come in to much contact with large numbers of people with it like most of us did in High School and Middle School. Could be an interesting topic if someone was working on a doctorate or looking to do a case study....
hamncheeze
6/7/2019 1:27pm
RonJon wrote:
I would also wager that most of the professional trainers in the cycling world have spent much of their lives studying nutrition and physiology. My chick...
I would also wager that most of the professional trainers in the cycling world have spent much of their lives studying nutrition and physiology. My chick is a physio and there is literally hours and hours just devoted to studying dieting and nutrition and how it affects muscle recovery and the immune system. You can really wreck your body if you make a sudden change to what you think is a super "healthy" diet and exercise plan.

As for the Epstein Barr, I did a project in college on it. Just about everyone has the virus, its similar to HPV in that you can get it from kissing, sharing cups, dirty gym equipment, etc... By the time you are an adult you usually have an immunity to it, because its likely what led to you getting mono when you're a teenager. The connection with sports is when an individual over trains, drastically changes their diet, and other factors that contribute to a weakened immune system, it can come back and lead to mono or chronic fatigue. Or they could have just never come in contact which is highly unlikely.

By no means am I a doctor, but, I would guess that we see a higher amount of cases in motocrossers because for the formative development years when they would get mono or contact the epstein barr virus, they are in small communities (training facilities) and don't come in to much contact with large numbers of people with it like most of us did in High School and Middle School. Could be an interesting topic if someone was working on a doctorate or looking to do a case study....
Some interesting points RonJon. I've also read about EBV, HPV, and CMV and that most carry antibodies, but that triggering active infections is so highly variable and that is what makes it difficult for the scientific community to nail down causes and/or predict future illness. Much like chickenpox/shingles, no one knows for sure what triggers shingles in those that have had chickenpox, but there seems to be a link to stress. And training is stress so that's ultimately what makes athletes more susceptible to EBV/mono/CMV.

Your points about the relative isolation are interesting. So in addition to being unable to speak like a normal human, the home schooling might be contributing to illness issues later in life. Stay in school kids! "Yeah, no, can't thank the schools system for my health".
6/8/2019 4:36am
I don’t care for this excuse.
You can’t qualify for a Supercross main after a holeshot in LCQ and you have only shown top 10 speed in 1 moto outdoors..
I hate to be a hater but I’m just not buying it sorry.
Show us a few laps at speed and then fade and say you have EB
cable
6/8/2019 6:30pm
hamncheeze wrote:
Get well soon Big Air Tom. I find it interesting about the incidence of Epstein-Barr in Moto compared to professional road or MTB cycling. It seems...

cyclist eat better as they have to for years. 100% results is on the body/fuel.
6/8/2019 10:42pm
I don’t care for this excuse. You can’t qualify for a Supercross main after a holeshot in LCQ and you have only shown top 10 speed...
I don’t care for this excuse.
You can’t qualify for a Supercross main after a holeshot in LCQ and you have only shown top 10 speed in 1 moto outdoors..
I hate to be a hater but I’m just not buying it sorry.
Show us a few laps at speed and then fade and say you have EB
No. With EBV you feel like rubbish nearly all the time. But its not uncommon to feel ok for a few minutes. Then you go, cause you can. And then that fades. And then you realise oh i am not good after all....
6/8/2019 10:44pm
hamncheeze wrote:

cable wrote:
cyclist eat better as they have to for years. 100% results is on the body/fuel.
I wonder if it is the type of exercise. Motocross is a lot of isometric muscle work. With high heart rate and low relative oxygen consumption. Hard on the body in a very different way.
Jape_628
6/8/2019 10:45pm
hamncheeze wrote:

Cyclists tend to be more methodical with their training, in that culture it's common knowledge that you can train yourself into a hole. Most cyclists know it's a year in and year out fitness building process, not so much a skill building process like for moto. Moto guys are also a little more barbaric in their mentality when it comes to training, and obviously more is not always better. Like you said, it seems like more moto guys struggle with it than cyclists. Not to say they don't still get it though, if you're familiar with pro road cycling you're familiar with Mark Cavendish. Mark is just getting back to some level of "normalcy" after a two year struggle with EBV. I thought it would force him into early retirement! It's no joke!
tek14
6/9/2019 12:39am
Racerx had even better comments than he this time.. Why US MX so many have EB or Mono and its not common in MXGPs.. because US they take turns with girlfriends and track snacks :D
Great to hear Covington found reason and could now get better. His speed at GPs was awesome at times so waiting him to make top5 when he is 100%.
Question
6/9/2019 2:10am
tek14 wrote:
Racerx had even better comments than he this time.. Why US MX so many have EB or Mono and its not common in MXGPs.. because US...
Racerx had even better comments than he this time.. Why US MX so many have EB or Mono and its not common in MXGPs.. because US they take turns with girlfriends and track snacks :D
Great to hear Covington found reason and could now get better. His speed at GPs was awesome at times so waiting him to make top5 when he is 100%.
Honestly I think there is not much knowledge about EB. I got it EB/mono 2 months ago, and I am not messing around, I have my girlfriend who live with me and she didn't even caught it. I am focused on what I do, I work from home 6 to 7 days a week, with intense sessions of focus about 8 hours a day. I have listed exactly what I did during the 2 months prior to the virus (normally the virus is caught 2 to 3 weeks prior to starting), and I have done only 7 or 8 things : drinking a beer with my best friend in his house, going once to the public library, going once to the supermarket, etc.

The only cause I can think of is just before catching it I was pushing a lot at work and I had a bit of a lack of sleep that week, so I was feeling really tired, then boom, about 2 weeks later I got really sick. It sounds a lot like an overtraining drains your body so much that it can easily catch a virus.
rsd47
6/9/2019 3:18am
I had EBV pretty badly in my final yearof university and was basically bed bound for almost 3 months. I developed viral hepatitis, my skin felt like it was going to crack every time I touched it and my bed sheets were soaked through every night from sweats so I'd wake up in a cold wet puddle. The tiredness/fatigue can't even be described. As someone that does powerlifting now, it took me almost 2 years to get back to where I was pre-glandular fever.

Obviously there are different 'levels' to the illness and some people might end up worse/better than I did but I wouldn't wish it on anyone and can't even imagine trying to ride, let alone race, a Motocross bike for any length of time while fighting it.

The Dr basically told me I HAD to rest if I wanted to recover and that pushing through it was the worst thing I could do so I'd be surprised if we see him out there racing over the next few weeks - isn't doing anyone any favours.

Post a reply to: So...is Covington hurt?

The Latest