So does the 2017 CRF450 prove that the current production aluminium frame 450's are as light as they will get?

Myke
Fantasy
2887th
One would think with the complete Honda redesign they would try to get a little closer to the KTM 450's weight. Does this mean that we are not going to see the aluminum frame production bikes get any lighter? Is this the delay on adding the magic button? Is the steel frame that much lighter?

I completely understand you can dump money into Ti parts and such to get it lighter but I am talking showroom floor production bikes.

Opinions?
|
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/15/2016 9:04pm
Myke wrote:
One would think with the complete Honda redesign they would try to get a little closer to the KTM 450's weight. Does this mean that we...
One would think with the complete Honda redesign they would try to get a little closer to the KTM 450's weight. Does this mean that we are not going to see the aluminum frame production bikes get any lighter? Is this the delay on adding the magic button? Is the steel frame that much lighter?

I completely understand you can dump money into Ti parts and such to get it lighter but I am talking showroom floor production bikes.

Opinions?
I wouldn't exactly say that, as Honda added about three pounds by switching back to spring forks and their twin exhaust system does weigh a bit more than most of the standard singles. So right there, weight can be lost (although duals are here to stay, I was more-or-less speaking for the other manufacturers who should be able to trim, like Yamaha and Suzuki). Also, I think the Japanese models could trim some weight in their subframes and airbox like KTM did, they've really cut back on the overall size of their subframe.
Superdave19
12/15/2016 9:17pm
The 16-17' Kawi's are lighter than the new CRF, correct?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/15/2016 9:22pm
The 16-17' Kawi's are lighter than the new CRF, correct?
Yes, by two pounds. The KXF has air forks though.
Superdave19
12/15/2016 9:40pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2016 9:40pm
With the Jenny Craig era, I wonder why Yamaha was the only ones to use a Ti rear spring? ( 2 stroke) What's the weight difference there- 1.5-2lbs?

The Shop

RussB
Fantasy
1164th
12/16/2016 3:51am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2016 3:51am
KTM pay far more attention to the detail of their parts when compared to other brands, by chibbling grams of every part they have managed to build a seriously light stock bike.
Basic stuff like a lack of caliper and rear disc guards (less metal, no bolts, no plastic) save a surprising amount of weight, unsprung as well.
I've saved a ton of weight on my RMZ just by switching a load of bolts to aluminum, simplifying the crank breather hosing, removing caliper/disc guards and adding a Ti Yoshimura exhaust.

The Japanese brands could get their bikes to the low 230's but they need to re design everything in order to do so, which is a big/expensive task.
Crush
12/16/2016 4:13am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2016 4:15am
Just read MXA's test of Febvre's YZM450.

230 pounds but they said still heavier than a stock KTM 450, and not by a little. Not at all.

Is that right? Fuck me. Yamaha. What are you doing? That bike isn't that old, why is it so goddamn heavy?!?!
Premix
12/16/2016 4:27am
Honestly, I really wouldn't be concerned about the weight unless it's rotational. Going to composite frame materials would be the next step, like Husky did with their sub frames, but, unless they can find something more durable than what Husky has been using, I'm not sure it's realistic in moto just because of the beatings the bikes take during a normal season. In the cycling world, a large enough scratch or splinter in a composite frame means replacement due to structural integrity. I'm not sure anyone here wants that burden on the moto side. The Austrian brands use a couple tricks that couple easily be replicated by the Jap manufacturers or by the average consumer in his garage.
12/16/2016 4:30am
I'm currious to compare the YZ250 aluminium frame Vs the YZ250F frame. The modern design of aluminium frame is a twim bean but the KTM and yamaha two-stroke are with a dog bone (can remember the exact name with my bad english). After that is really the diet on every little part. I think Honda when further with the diet on the motor diet but not as far as KTM with their latest design.There's probably a trade off to do between mass centralization and total weight (Honda/Yamaha Vs KTm). Still the new kawa is the lightest of the japenesse I think
Dtat720
12/16/2016 4:32am
The whole weight arguement is the biggest marketing genius ever. Sooo many KTM fans clamoring over "its the lightest!" Yet it gets beat regularly by jap bikes week in and week out. Rotational weight, yes, concerning, static weight? The right placement and you cant tell the difference. Febre has a bike that proves that. So does Tiga. Roczen showed it outdoors on what everyone here claims is the heaviest oldest dinosaur in moto. But hey, its the lightest!
hellion
12/16/2016 4:36am
ML512, would it be worth your time to take two bikes, one Japanese 450, and a KTM, and disassemble into major parts and weigh and compare?

I too have wondered how KTM can be so much lighter. But then when building a new wheel for my YZ I was shocked how much heavier the hubs were than any of the KTM wheels I've built. So, I'm guessing it's just a little bit everywhere that adds up. Still, I'd love to see the comparison. It could be broken down pretty simply. Catagories could be; frame, sub frame, all plastic, wheels, suspension components, wiring and ignition, and exhaust.

reded
12/16/2016 5:14am
Motorcycles are KTMs business, therefore, it behooves them to evolve their motorcycles to be lighter, stronger and faster. I would assume that a lot of their budget is eaten up by R&D in order to produce a product that will sustain company growth by selling large amounts of units year after year.

Motorcycles are a sideshow/hobby for the japs. I highly doubt that they're willing to devote as many resources to evolving a product which saw its sales heyday over 30 years ago as KTM, especially when they have other avenues of sustaining long term growth which are far more profitable. As long as they produce a bike which is at least competitive, they can sell units and stay in the game no matter how much profit is realized. I also doubt they care about their bike weighing an extra 5lbs as long as it means their warranty hotline phone isn't ringing off of the hook because their new lightweight parts broke.

You guys should stop piss whining about how much they weigh. We've only got so long before either we or the sport are gone, buy your favorite color and enjoy the ride while it lasts.
hellion
12/16/2016 5:30am
Reded, I don't think anyone is "piss whining", it's an interesting subject and it is the off season. And it's not 5 lbs, it's more like 10-15 depending on wet/dry as the Ktm has a larger fuel tank which actually hurts it in the wet weight comparo.
Premix
12/16/2016 5:38am
hellion wrote:
ML512, would it be worth your time to take two bikes, one Japanese 450, and a KTM, and disassemble into major parts and weigh and compare...
ML512, would it be worth your time to take two bikes, one Japanese 450, and a KTM, and disassemble into major parts and weigh and compare?

I too have wondered how KTM can be so much lighter. But then when building a new wheel for my YZ I was shocked how much heavier the hubs were than any of the KTM wheels I've built. So, I'm guessing it's just a little bit everywhere that adds up. Still, I'd love to see the comparison. It could be broken down pretty simply. Catagories could be; frame, sub frame, all plastic, wheels, suspension components, wiring and ignition, and exhaust.

Would love to see this as well. Have a mountain biking background and still have spreadsheets for all of the pedal bikes in the garage with weights.
12/16/2016 5:52am
I have to believe that these manufacturers could make these bikes sub 150 lbs if they wanted to.

I just dont think there is any reason for them to because 1) there is a weight limit for pro racing and 2) the bikes are already insanely fast and dangerous for 99% of the people who buy them.
pete24
12/16/2016 6:08am
whats ten pounds? my Cannondale weighed 300!
nytsmaC
12/16/2016 6:46am
If it's only 2lbs heavier than the KX then they did a good job considering the extra heft of the spring forks and dual exhaust.

KTM is definitely making them look very conservative. It's 2017, the KTM/Husky is the lightest, fastest, best handling, arguably best suspended, it has e-start, and they stand behind their product better than anyone else when a problem should occur. I look forward to seeing what the Japanese come up with to respond with.
kaptkaos
12/16/2016 7:40am
RussB wrote:
KTM pay far more attention to the detail of their parts when compared to other brands, by chibbling grams of every part they have managed to...
KTM pay far more attention to the detail of their parts when compared to other brands, by chibbling grams of every part they have managed to build a seriously light stock bike.
Basic stuff like a lack of caliper and rear disc guards (less metal, no bolts, no plastic) save a surprising amount of weight, unsprung as well.
I've saved a ton of weight on my RMZ just by switching a load of bolts to aluminum, simplifying the crank breather hosing, removing caliper/disc guards and adding a Ti Yoshimura exhaust.

The Japanese brands could get their bikes to the low 230's but they need to re design everything in order to do so, which is a big/expensive task.

I would say KTM makes a light bike that is not as reliable or longlasting as a Honda. Albeit race bikes are not supposed to be as reliable as a consumer bike. I think Honda provides the best compromise and will outlast any other brand over the long term of ownership. Yeah, I can buy a CRF and change the exhaust, footpegs, wheels and a few parts and get it close. Is that going to make the average local pro any faster? I can drop 5 lbs off my body and be done with it. Save some money and fit in my clothes better and get a better weight/ratio. The new bikes are all coming down in weight and the manufacturers are making them more flickable and improving the ergos. As long as you are moving in the right direction which is true for all except for Suzuki, then all is good.

I will say that Honda missed the boat by not putting the button on the CRF stock. That would have surely put it as the winner of the shootout. I can see the Austrian bikes getting a big nudge in points for that and rightfully so. If you dont have a button on the bike today, you are BEHIND the curve. Honda needs to put the button on and be within 5 lbs of KTM somehow and still keep the quality and reliability for the average consumer.

Thats why KTM is winning the wallets of the serious racers. They have a bike that is geared more towards the racer.

If you get a new bike every year, a KTM is a great bike if it doesnt get you killed by an exploding rim, cracked subframe or failed electronics. If you keep your bikes for a long time, the Honda might be cheaper to own and better for your health.

I am not trying to offend any KTM owners, I pointed out the fact that they are the best race bike for many, and it has its flaws, and I did the same for my favorite brand as well. I admit I drink the Red Koolaid.

Myke
Fantasy
2887th
12/16/2016 7:43am
hellion wrote:
ML512, would it be worth your time to take two bikes, one Japanese 450, and a KTM, and disassemble into major parts and weigh and compare...

Premix wrote:
Would love to see this as well. Have a mountain biking background and still have spreadsheets for all of the pedal bikes in the garage with...
Would love to see this as well. Have a mountain biking background and still have spreadsheets for all of the pedal bikes in the garage with weights.
Yes great idea! Maybe use the Kawasaki for comparison.
Lastander
12/16/2016 7:53am
kaptkaos wrote:
KTM pay far more attention to the detail of their parts when compared to other brands, by chibbling grams of every part they have managed to...

I would say KTM makes a light bike that is not as reliable or longlasting as a Honda. Albeit race bikes are not supposed to be as reliable as a consumer bike. I think Honda provides the best compromise and will outlast any other brand over the long term of ownership. Yeah, I can buy a CRF and change the exhaust, footpegs, wheels and a few parts and get it close. Is that going to make the average local pro any faster? I can drop 5 lbs off my body and be done with it. Save some money and fit in my clothes better and get a better weight/ratio. The new bikes are all coming down in weight and the manufacturers are making them more flickable and improving the ergos. As long as you are moving in the right direction which is true for all except for Suzuki, then all is good.

I will say that Honda missed the boat by not putting the button on the CRF stock. That would have surely put it as the winner of the shootout. I can see the Austrian bikes getting a big nudge in points for that and rightfully so. If you dont have a button on the bike today, you are BEHIND the curve. Honda needs to put the button on and be within 5 lbs of KTM somehow and still keep the quality and reliability for the average consumer.

Thats why KTM is winning the wallets of the serious racers. They have a bike that is geared more towards the racer.

If you get a new bike every year, a KTM is a great bike if it doesnt get you killed by an exploding rim, cracked subframe or failed electronics. If you keep your bikes for a long time, the Honda might be cheaper to own and better for your health.

I am not trying to offend any KTM owners, I pointed out the fact that they are the best race bike for many, and it has its flaws, and I did the same for my favorite brand as well. I admit I drink the Red Koolaid.

Agreed, been on hondas for over a decade, decided to try something else for a change.
Bought a -16 450sxf, i managed to get 40 hours on it over the entire -16 season (march-october), the rest of the time it was in pieces.
I broke my forks upwards about 30 times during those hours, then i had some issues with me breaking the triple clamps, some electrical issues and what not.
I weigh 70kg or 140 pounds give or take, and i ride the swedish national championship, nothing extraordinary, my father is a professional mechanic and has been for the last 25 years, so i dont blame him.

I will never race a ktm again.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
12/16/2016 8:00am
I'm glad the industry is trending lighter, but I can't believe anyone would choose one brand over another based on 5 pounds. For 99% of riders out there, you could add 5 pounds to their regular bike and they wouldn't notice a difference.
hellion
12/16/2016 8:11am
I'd bet most of the guys who think weight is of interest have experienced the difference only a few pounds can make on a bicycle. Sure, we could all lose a few pounds ourselves too, but that's not fun at all, while losing poundage on the bike is fun. Although it can get expensive.
kaptkaos
12/16/2016 8:28am
I played the weight game on my MTB and it was fun for a while. But on an MX bike, a lb or two doesnt matter as much because I am not the motor.

When Honda gets the button standard and within a few lbs of KTM, they will send the orange bikes back to where they belong!

Im sorry to the younger folks, but I remember KTMs back when they where white and they sucked donkey *****.

I admit they are now a much better brand and they have forced the Japs to up their game. KTM has a place, just never in my garage. Yes, I am an old school red koolaid drinker.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
12/16/2016 8:32am
One thing I find interesting is that theres only a 5 lbs difference in weight between KTM's 250 and 450 where as theres a 10 lbs difference with Kawasaki.

Theres only a 1 pound difference between the KTM and Kawasaki when it comes to the 250.
nytsmaC
12/16/2016 8:39am
GrapeApe wrote:
I'm glad the industry is trending lighter, but I can't believe anyone would choose one brand over another based on 5 pounds. For 99% of riders...
I'm glad the industry is trending lighter, but I can't believe anyone would choose one brand over another based on 5 pounds. For 99% of riders out there, you could add 5 pounds to their regular bike and they wouldn't notice a difference.
I doubt anyone is making their choice solely based on weight. It's just one factor amongst many. Otherwise no one would buy the Husky over the KTM.

If everything else is equal, theoretically, why wouldn't you pick the one that weighs less?

I'd probably be more influenced by parts prices and availability than weight, but it would still be a factor in the decision.
twotwosix
12/16/2016 8:42am
To answer the question, NO.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is MSRP. Honda could build you a 220lb CRF450, but it would cost 10 grand.
BobPA
12/16/2016 8:53am
Guess how many of those "wood screws" have ever backed out? I'll give you a hint....none. I still have all the original "wood screws" in my bike after 5 years and 200+ hours of moto....I kinda think they are on to something
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
12/16/2016 8:54am
hellion wrote:
I'd bet most of the guys who think weight is of interest have experienced the difference only a few pounds can make on a bicycle. Sure...
I'd bet most of the guys who think weight is of interest have experienced the difference only a few pounds can make on a bicycle. Sure, we could all lose a few pounds ourselves too, but that's not fun at all, while losing poundage on the bike is fun. Although it can get expensive.
I race Cat 1 mtb, and I can't really tell a difference between 2 full water bottles on the frame or empty water bottles. That's a 3 pound difference, or $3,000 in cycling dollars! Same with a seat bag. I honestly can't tell if it's there or not, and that weight is up high. I'm not saying I'm going to race a 32 lb bike in a cross country race, but I think most of the benefit to shaving grams is mental. It took me several years and tens of thousands of dollars to achieve this realization!
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
12/16/2016 9:03am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2016 9:06am
GrapeApe wrote:
I'm glad the industry is trending lighter, but I can't believe anyone would choose one brand over another based on 5 pounds. For 99% of riders...
nytsmaC wrote:
I doubt anyone is making their choice solely based on weight. It's just one factor amongst many. Otherwise no one would buy the Husky over the...
I doubt anyone is making their choice solely based on weight. It's just one factor amongst many. Otherwise no one would buy the Husky over the KTM.

If everything else is equal, theoretically, why wouldn't you pick the one that weighs less?

I'd probably be more influenced by parts prices and availability than weight, but it would still be a factor in the decision.
All else being equal, absolutely. I think it would be impossible for all else to be equal, though. I agree weight is just one of many factors, I guess I just put it pretty low on the list compared to handling, ergos, power delivery, reliability, dealer support, etc. If a certain bike suited my size and style and I had good dealer support, the extra weight wouldn't give me pause for a second.
12/16/2016 9:03am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2016 9:04am
KTM gearboxes have been shitting themselves left, right and centre the last few years. The gears pretty much just crack in half.

They do this because they've drilled/milled so many holes out of the gears that the strength is lost.
When you order the replacement gear, it's a superceeded part number and guess what.... Yes, it's solid, no holes!
TeamGreen
12/16/2016 9:21am
I don't think Honda's "Main-Frame" is the lightest (Among Japanese Al. Frames)...?

I believe their Sub-Frame is.

Post a reply to: So does the 2017 CRF450 prove that the current production aluminium frame 450's are as light as they will get?

The Latest