So, do they get ready for the Nationals?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/13/2020 7:34 AM

With the SX season most likely over, do the teams prepare for the Outdoors now? Everyone should be 100% ready come May if things work out. Hopefully this COVID-19 doesn't change the outdoors as well.

|

3/13/2020 7:39 AM

I said this in another thread, but I will say it here too.

Won’t be surprised one bit if the SX series finishes up a shortened season after a hiatus and MX gets shortened because of it. SX is the big money maker in the US. They very well could cut down the MX series to 6ish rounds, starting in July, and call it good. Hit the iconic rounds and then crown a champion.

At least that way a series isn’t ended abruptly. There’s a huge difference between just stopping a series and having a shortened one from the very beginning. The latter at least people know when it will end. Used to only have 6 round championships back in the day before the 500 went away. Don’t be shocked if that happens here.

|

3/13/2020 7:48 AM

If we hear that SX is done (I don't think we will), and after some outdoor prep, how about riding an MXGP round before outdoors gets kicked off?

One can only dream... wink

|

'75-'83 through the minicycle boom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was fast... But being fast is relative to who else is on the track with you.

ZachO fan! ZO16

TG243 fan!

3/13/2020 7:48 AM

Oh they’re getting ready. We’re talking about racers. They’ll be ready to race at any moment.

|

3/13/2020 7:56 AM

Press516 wrote:

If we hear that SX is done (I don't think we will), and after some outdoor prep, how about riding an MXGP round before ...more

All GPs before May 9th in France are already cancelled or postponed. And who knows how the situation is in France in less than 2 months. We might not see any motocross race in the first half of 2020

|

3/13/2020 8:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2020 8:06 AM

TDeath21 wrote:

Won’t be surprised one bit if the SX series finishes up a ...more

Sorry but I don't see MXSports just rolling over and handing Feld a portion of their profits. I believe any attempt to take weekends from MXSports will be met with resistance (litigation).

Of course this would be based off of the decline of the virus and a return to normalization.

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

3/13/2020 8:10 AM

Wasn’t there a video of Troll getting ready for outdoors on here the other day?

|

3/13/2020 8:15 AM

Looby321 wrote:

Wasn’t there a video of Troll getting ready for outdoors on here the other day?

Yeah but the 250 West guys have been outdoor prepping for a while now.

|

3/13/2020 8:26 AM

Well, they postponed the Masters tourney. This is getting crazy. I am only posting this as a point of reference. If the planets biggest golf tourney is postponed, people are taking this shit seriously. I'd bet the SX season is over...done. Which is something I never conceived of before.

|

3/13/2020 8:35 AM

As a guy who works in news (analyst) I can almost guarantee the SX series is 100% cancelled and outdoors will be a big maybe depending on what happens in the coming weeks.

The big issue is there are so many unknowns, we also have a healthcare system that is running at capacity *without* this pandemic. We need to slow the spread for the foreseeable future until we have a better understanding of how to manage this.

As weird and wild as the times may be to come, the good news is life as (sort of) normal will come back following this in ~1 year. It will reshuffle the deck however.

|

3/13/2020 9:41 AM

TDeath21 wrote:

dkurtd wrote:

Sorry but I don't see MXSports just rolling over and handing Feld a portion of their profits. I believe any attempt to take ...more

I don’t think it’s as simple as Feld vs MXSports. AMA sanctions both series and the manufacturers and teams will have a say in it too. Money is in SX, not MX. Not betting on it but don’t be surprised.

|

3/13/2020 10:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2020 10:08 AM

TDeath21 wrote:

dkurtd wrote:

Sorry but I don't see MXSports just rolling over and handing Feld a portion of their profits. I believe any attempt to take ...more

TDeath21 wrote:

I don’t think it’s as simple as Feld vs MXSports. AMA sanctions both series and the manufacturers and teams will have a say in ...more

I wouldn't be naive enough to think for a second the contract signed by MXSports and the AMA won't be enforced. That's why contracts exist. Hangtown will happen May 16th provided the virus subsides and no government restrictions exist. .

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

3/13/2020 11:22 AM

I don't know but 1 thing is, the logistics just might not work for SX. Keep in mind, they usually have the stadiums rented for 2 weekends, so they can also use the dirt for Monster Jam etc. If this delay is prolonged, it might not be that easy to re-book the venues to finish the series anyways. If things resume by the time Nats start, then it is a lot more certain that they can do that series as normally scheduled. Who knows what will happen, but I don't see SX getting completed as normal. I know double-header events were talked about too, but not sure if that would work either.

|

3/13/2020 1:36 PM

It is time to push the nationals past labor day weekend.

The "football" argument seems less and less relavent, and it just seems absurd to have no professional mx from late August until early may of the following year.

Sx competes against college and pro basketball and hockey.

Polish up the TV broadcast, both mx and sx, maybe
bite the bullet and try a one hour weekly summary show in a consistent time spot.

|

3/13/2020 2:19 PM

The outdoors could still be ran in the month of September as well and be fine.

|

3/13/2020 2:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2020 2:24 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

Too hard to plan the logistics of 7+ make-up rounds ....they're going to have to chalk it up as a loss ..

|

3/13/2020 2:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2020 2:40 PM

In europe peak of the the epidemic is suppose to be at june. Thats when the most people will get sick. Usa cant be that far behind. Not looking good for racing or people.

|

3/13/2020 3:46 PM

TDeath21 wrote:

I don’t think it’s as simple as Feld vs MXSports. AMA sanctions both series and the manufacturers and teams will have a say in ...more

There are a lot of moving pieces, but I would think the manufacturers might have the most say. If they would rather race SX than MX in May or June, they might just ask MX to step aside for a few rounds.

This whole situation is obviously much bigger than just motocross, so all the stakeholders might just have to get together and figure out what is best for the sport overall.

|

3/13/2020 4:02 PM

Press516 wrote:

If we hear that SX is done (I don't think we will), and after some outdoor prep, how about riding an MXGP round before ...more

crusty_xx wrote:

All GPs before May 9th in France are already cancelled or postponed. And who knows how the situation is in France in less than ...more

It was 98% sarcasm...

I think we're going to squeeze in a small number of fanless SX races and MX will start on time. That's based on limited craziness between now and then (no guarantees).

|

'75-'83 through the minicycle boom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was fast... But being fast is relative to who else is on the track with you.

ZachO fan! ZO16

TG243 fan!

3/13/2020 4:42 PM

Yes

|