So, I sent an email to Rekluse today...

ridge
Edited Date/Time 1/19/2012 8:04pm
I really need one of these clutches BAAAD. Hitting that jump yesterday in 3rd gear right on the rev limiter gave me flashbacks of my crash that cost me my leg...and a couple years in a wheelchair.

Since work has almost stopped for me I can't afford the clutch. I'm hoping they can give me a good deal on it. I asked them earlier in the year if they could sponsor me but they couldn't. Now that I won the X Games I'm hoping they can find an extra clutch laying in the shop somewhere! Smile

It is my understanding that this clutch will solve almost all my problems. Has anyone here tried it?

BTW, I had soooo much fun yesterday at the Transworld ride day. The track was perfect with ruts and braking bumps and big jumps!

Photo: Steve Emter
|
noob
11/14/2008 4:24pm
Every time a magazine writes about those, they hint that a lot of factory bikes secretly use them. It's on my wish list of things I would buy with imaginary money (along with an oversize front rotor and a Magura hydraulic clutch line)

I hope they hook you up.
Scotty
11/14/2008 4:36pm
I used one while racing Vegas to Reno this year. I know desert racing is completely different, but I thought it worked great. Especially in the slow, technical rocky sections. The only drawback was the free wheeling it would do into the corners. You need to learn not to chop the throttle. Although if you just give it a blip it will engage again. The best part was not having to pull in a clutch lever to stop or take off. Just put it in gear and go. Kind of weird to get used to. We put 470 miles on it and it was flawless the entire race. I was surprised!
RanelC10
Fantasy
2044th
11/14/2008 4:52pm
I use it on my bike. The thing works great! Its pretty tempermental on getting it set up right, and adjusting everything the right way but once its good, its good! The same clutch has been on my last two bikes and is still running strong.
What is it that you need it for, Chris? Going to put on an electric shifter, or???
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
11/14/2008 4:55pm
RanelC10 wrote:
I use it on my bike. The thing works great! Its pretty tempermental on getting it set up right, and adjusting everything the right way but...
I use it on my bike. The thing works great! Its pretty tempermental on getting it set up right, and adjusting everything the right way but once its good, its good! The same clutch has been on my last two bikes and is still running strong.
What is it that you need it for, Chris? Going to put on an electric shifter, or???
Have you used it on a Motocross track? I really would love some feedback on how they work there? If so did it allow you to go faster? Did you take any time off your laps?

The Shop

RanelC10
Fantasy
2044th
11/14/2008 5:07pm
I am paralyzed and thats why I use it. I never used it before I got paralyzed so im not for sure that it would have taken my lap times down or not but I think that it would have!

I do use it on motocross tracks, and at the X-Games, where Chris whooped my ass! haha I pull holeshots at home against able-bodied riders all the time with it. The thing works great and is bullet proof. It also has a clutch over-ride lever where the hot-start usually is, so if you want to pull it in and rev it out or anything like that you can. It will save you from stalling the bike!

I think that the set-up with both the autoclutch and the hand-brake is what gives me and advantage at times. Coming into a right hand corner I can often hold the throttle on longer because I dont have to brake early to take my right foot off the peg to turn. It doesn't take long at all to get used to!
motoman0
Fantasy
1153rd
11/14/2008 6:33pm
I've used one since 04.....love it! Going to try it out in moto this weekend. I now have the pro it has better feel at the lever the the older ones.
AJ
11/14/2008 6:54pm
I love them.
especially the *pro* model

Tiki, ,for moto it works just like any regfular clutch ,and uses your existing clutch pack.
(it acts exactly like your stock clutch if you want it to.. and wan tto flial at the lever.
other than it disengages when you chop the throttle
- if set up correctly it eliminates stalling)

if you let it do is thing, its like a perfect clutch disengagement/engagement thru every corner ,
if you wan tto play with the lever like your used t odoing,, you ca ndo that to0..
not much to dislike.

it is awesome for trail riding , harescrambles, woods,
but certainly effective in moto as well
(the pro model lets you have that manual clutch for starts)

i think most riders lap times would be trimmed by running one..
its effortless and like cheating
worth every penny.

Camp332
11/14/2008 7:51pm
I am interested in this thing too. I have been for a few years. So what is the deal when you come into corners? And out of corners? I ride motocross 95% of the time I ride, 5% in the woods.
calimxer91
11/14/2008 8:01pm
This guy was tellin me on dead engine starts its like cheatin.
Lipert Racing
11/14/2008 10:20pm
Ridge,

We're a Rekluse dealer and in So Cal. If your interested in one or have any questions, feel free to give us a call. I can pm you our phone #. We put a Rekluse in Sorby's bike for Endurocross last year, and I know he loved it.
Burro x
11/15/2008 5:40am
I have had one for 3 years on my WR250F, no complaints - just get the setup
clearances correct and ride !
kaw rider9
11/15/2008 11:00am
Ridge, We're a Rekluse dealer and in So Cal. If your interested in one or have any questions, feel free to give us a call. I...
Ridge,

We're a Rekluse dealer and in So Cal. If your interested in one or have any questions, feel free to give us a call. I can pm you our phone #. We put a Rekluse in Sorby's bike for Endurocross last year, and I know he loved it.
Do you take paypal?

Chris, do you have a paypal account?

I'd be more than happy to donate some cash to Chris. Would anyone else?

How much are they?
mooch
Fantasy
501st
11/15/2008 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 9:13pm
I had the Rekluse Pro model (retains your clutch lever action) on an 06 YZ450F and I had a couple of issues, one of those resulted in me not continuing to use it for moto. If I were into off road only, I'd probably still be running it.

The first issue involved the clutch somehow exaggerating a carb issue that would result in the engine doing a cough and flame out kind of thing when getting on the gas out of a tight corner. The bike never did this without the clutch but with the clutch it would happen once a ride and I wasn't able to find a carb setting to get rid of the issue. The folks at Rekluse said they had seen the same problem on some YZ450s and suggested I send the carb to ZIP-TY racing for a $100 carb mod. Sure enough the ZIP-TY carb mod fixed that issue.

The second issue related to the free wheeling effect when getting off the gas coming into a corner. For me, I found it to be very tricky to get a consistent feel coming into a corner depending on how quickly I got off the gas. I'd go into the same corner feeling like I was coming into it pretty much the same way but at times I'd get more of a freewheel effect and I'd have to go into a bit of panic mode and get on the brakes harder to compensate for the unexpected freewheeling. I tried a number of different spring and ball tweaks on the Rekluse but could not get the feeling that I had consistent engine braking effect at all times. I personally couldn't get used to this and ended up going back to a stock clutch setup.

I will say that the support provided by Rekluse was really awesome!!! I called them a number of times to get set up advise and they were always very knowledgeable and helpful. They even sent me a revised clutch basket which allowed better oil flow over the original rekluse basket and just asked me to send back the original once I had installed the updated basket.

Lipert Racing
11/15/2008 3:29pm
Ridge, We're a Rekluse dealer and in So Cal. If your interested in one or have any questions, feel free to give us a call. I...
Ridge,

kaw rider9 wrote:
Do you take paypal? Chris, do you have a paypal account? I'd be more than happy to donate some cash to Chris. Would anyone else? How...
Do you take paypal?

How much are they?
Yes, we do.
ridge
11/15/2008 6:57pm
Ridge,

kaw rider9 wrote:
Do you take paypal? Chris, do you have a paypal account? I'd be more than happy to donate some cash to Chris. Would anyone else? How...
Do you take paypal?

How much are they?
Holy crap man! That's awesome! THANK YOU!

Hopefully Rekluse will sponsor me but I don't expect to hear from them until next week.

I just had a garage sale today and after tomorrow's sale I hope to get enough to pay for the new Warp9 wheel I had to get a few weeks ago. I put it on my credit card but didn't get to ride on it until the other day. I think I'll post up a write up on that wheel...I'm happy so far!

Thanks again man!

Chris
jonjon714
11/15/2008 7:33pm
ridge wrote:
Holy crap man! That's awesome! THANK YOU! Hopefully Rekluse will sponsor me but I don't expect to hear from them until next week. I just had...

Hopefully Rekluse will sponsor me but I don't expect to hear from them until next week.

I just had a garage sale today and after tomorrow's sale I hope to get enough to pay for the new Warp9 wheel I had to get a few weeks ago. I put it on my credit card but didn't get to ride on it until the other day. I think I'll post up a write up on that wheel...I'm happy so far!

Thanks again man!

Chris
Kaw rider9, great idea...I'll kick in a few bones...send me a message with your paypal account info Chris and I'll deposit it...
ridge
11/15/2008 7:34pm
Slow ~ Pro wrote:
Chris...Do as I advised first.
Thanks for that Mike. I am/will do.
ridge
11/15/2008 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 9:13pm
ridge wrote:
Holy crap man! That's awesome! THANK YOU! Hopefully Rekluse will sponsor me but I don't expect to hear from them until next week. I just had...

Thanks again man!

Chris
jonjon714 wrote:
Kaw rider9, great idea...I'll kick in a few bones...send me a message with your paypal account info Chris and I'll deposit it...
Hey jonjon714, thanks man! I don't really know what to say but thanks! Like I said, I hope Rekluse gets back to me soon and I don't need help from you guys.

That's not why I posted this but I can see how it came across now.

Thanks!

Chris

BTW, I grew up in Virginia Beach!
jonjon714
11/15/2008 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2008 7:58pm
ridge wrote:

Thanks again man!

Chris
jonjon714 wrote:
ridge wrote:
Hey jonjon714, thanks man! I don't really know what to say but thanks! Like I said, I hope Rekluse gets back to me soon and I...
Hey jonjon714, thanks man! I don't really know what to say but thanks! Like I said, I hope Rekluse gets back to me soon and I don't need help from you guys.

That's not why I posted this but I can see how it came across now.

Thanks!

Chris

BTW, I grew up in Virginia Beach!
No worries....and that's not how your post came across at all. Also, it's not that I feel sorry for you either for your situation, although I must say you are a huge inspiration and have guts for the decisions in life you had to make.

I know you race. I know you won an X-Games gold medal....It's obvious you take racing seriously and apparently are going through some tight times...looks like you could use some help in the form of "$" and I'd be happy to help you out, that's all.

John

Where in VA Beach did you live? Where did you go to school?
mxrulez
11/15/2008 11:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 9:13pm
I have a Rekluse because i only hand half a left hand, the Rekluse is fantastic, occasionally it will stall when i takeoff with no clutch but most the time its gold, the only slightly annoying thing and its not Rekluse's fault ( it would be fine on a 2 stroke) is that really slow speeds like almost walking pace, is if ya suddenly need a handful of throttle, bcause ya need to ride over a bike,log, tuff block ect, the bike will bog and stall, because for 4 strokes don't like that kind of thing Although some clutch work would solve that problem. The workman ship on the clutch is fantastic, and ive had my clutch for a year with no problems at all. I imagen it could help you with your riding allot.

A quick question was the X games event from people with leg Disabilities ( i hate that word, but i could think of another way to describe it) only.???
kaw rider9
11/16/2008 7:21am
Chris, PM me your paypal info, I have a crisp 50 spot for ya.

Your post did not come across as asking for dough, by any means.. I don't mind helping a fellow VitalDriver! It's getting close to Christmas, so why the hell not! I'm not sure why I asked if anyone else would, but it's cool as hell jonjon stepped up!
824 Dad
11/16/2008 9:33am
Ricky has been running a Rekluse since he started riding again in 2005. If it were not for Rekluse and their great line of products he would not be able to ride at the level he does today.

We put the Rekluse on to avoid stalling at low speeds and to be able to eliminate the use of the clutch lever so we could replace it with a hand operated rear brake. We have not had any of the problems that you guys are talking about with respect to stalling or acceleration, we do run the idle slightly higher to help to avoid stalling in corners which requires a higher rpm wave washer stall spring to avoid clutch drag. The thing hooks up right away on Ricky's 450, no hesitation.

824 Dad

raddad
11/16/2008 9:48am
mooch wrote:
I had the Rekluse Pro model (retains your clutch lever action) on an 06 YZ450F and I had a couple of issues, one of those resulted...
I had the Rekluse Pro model (retains your clutch lever action) on an 06 YZ450F and I had a couple of issues, one of those resulted in me not continuing to use it for moto. If I were into off road only, I'd probably still be running it.

The first issue involved the clutch somehow exaggerating a carb issue that would result in the engine doing a cough and flame out kind of thing when getting on the gas out of a tight corner. The bike never did this without the clutch but with the clutch it would happen once a ride and I wasn't able to find a carb setting to get rid of the issue. The folks at Rekluse said they had seen the same problem on some YZ450s and suggested I send the carb to ZIP-TY racing for a $100 carb mod. Sure enough the ZIP-TY carb mod fixed that issue.

The second issue related to the free wheeling effect when getting off the gas coming into a corner. For me, I found it to be very tricky to get a consistent feel coming into a corner depending on how quickly I got off the gas. I'd go into the same corner feeling like I was coming into it pretty much the same way but at times I'd get more of a freewheel effect and I'd have to go into a bit of panic mode and get on the brakes harder to compensate for the unexpected freewheeling. I tried a number of different spring and ball tweaks on the Rekluse but could not get the feeling that I had consistent engine braking effect at all times. I personally couldn't get used to this and ended up going back to a stock clutch setup.

I will say that the support provided by Rekluse was really awesome!!! I called them a number of times to get set up advise and they were always very knowledgeable and helpful. They even sent me a revised clutch basket which allowed better oil flow over the original rekluse basket and just asked me to send back the original once I had installed the updated basket.

I agree with this assessment. I found that for moto it is not the hot set up if you are a B or A rider because the style most riders use require constant feel of everything in the drive train and that is where the recluse failed for me also. It feels disconnected at the worst times possible when clutch feel is important to save your ass ie; storming down huge hills like Millville or in a deep slow muddy rut. The way the clutch setup works makes it it impossible to have a perfect balance to not have a bog at low speeds when you may be in trouble and engine still have the correct RPM engagement for other circumstances. For an able bodied MX'r or a skilled MX'r it is not the hot ticket to go fast and safe.

For ALL other applications i have tried this clutch, it is great! Off road/trail riding of any sort it shines. For Hare scrambles in mud or rocks etc. i cannot imagine getting by with out it as it saves energy, clutch wear and no matter how many times you get stuck behind someone or fall, the motor will not quit and that alone saves tons of energy in a 2 hr ride. If you ride more off road/trails than MX buy it!

Bottom line-MX no way for faster riders anyway
Off Road- perfect!
king
11/16/2008 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 11/16/2008 2:17pm
Ridge, Rekluse should jump at the chance to sponsor you 100%, You being an X-Games Gold Medalist, and all!! But if they don't, send me your Paypal info and I'll help out. Still can't thank you enough for getting the bikes to LA for us.
500guy
11/16/2008 2:30pm
Ridge

I throw in a $20 just because your a good dude.

Let us know what Recluse does.
burrito913
11/16/2008 2:31pm
if chris get's one from Lipert Racing let me know .. I'll throw a few pesos in the pot.

Burrito

Burrito MX
ridge
11/16/2008 6:19pm
Thanks so much everybody! I've been having trouble getting on Vital until tonight. I'll know more this week.

I was wondering about downhills and engine braking but I'm sure it's something I can get used to.
typ2vw159
11/16/2008 6:38pm
The ones we played with seam to be better suited for faster riders,all though the complaint was that you couldn,t clutch it going up the face of the jump on a inside line with a short take off.Has great cornering when you drag the brake to get it to set for a corner.A nother good point is that after you switch back your corner speed picks up as well.Don,t chop the throttle and have extra rear brake pads.
Put me down for $ 20 if thay don,t hook you up!!!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
11/16/2008 7:45pm
You guys rock.

Post a reply to: So, I sent an email to Rekluse today...

The Latest