So I always wanted a custom painted helmet....

BAD10
Edited Date/Time 10/13/2018 10:50am
i got a good deal on this new Arai, but the graphic scheme was boring and ugly. Always thought having a unique painted helmet would be cool. I own a body and restoration shop where we work on cars as well as painting on motorcycles, but I never do helmets! So I decided to give it a go and I'm sharing the finished product. I'm no Troy Lee, but I'm pretty happy with it. I wanted a somewhat basic graphic layout with a little old school flavor, but using modern hi-tec colors.

|
yak651
Fantasy
214th
6/10/2016 12:47pm
looks good, especially for your first try.
ktm212
6/10/2016 12:48pm
good job man! looks great! the name on the back IMO is a little tough but the rest looks great!

The Shop

BAD10
6/10/2016 12:52pm
ktm212 wrote:
good job man! looks great! the name on the back IMO is a little tough but the rest looks great!
I did my name in Variegated gold leaf. Its different, which is what I wanted, and was kind of an experiment.....
TailSoHard
6/10/2016 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2016 1:15pm
Nice work!! I think it turned out pretty friggin sweet. I'd go around to race tracks and ask for old/crashed helmets to practice on. You've obviously got a knack for it and you never know, Bad10 helmets could be the next big thing!

I like your number too!

Nod your head ta this!!
EDIT: Whoops I just noticed it's 371, not 311... Sad
6/10/2016 1:21pm
I actually like the original graphic scheme more, but I guess that's just taste.
Looks good. Never done it but I think it's a difficult and time consuming job.
Mini Elsinore
6/10/2016 2:14pm
Very cool! Betting the flake and hologram looks even more bitchin in person. How many hours were involved?
MBR
6/10/2016 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2016 11:18pm
Nice job! We did too, but went really basic and all retro. You know the design turned out pretty good when the great JMB wanted to take picture of helmet✌️
BAD10
6/10/2016 2:45pm
MBR wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/10/138604/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/10/138605/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

Looks great! I like it. For sure you can appreciate the time that goes in to doing even a basic job on one of these things!
newmann
6/10/2016 2:58pm
Looks good. Now that you are a custom painter and striper, are you going to act weird and only work when you are "in the mood"???Laughing I can get the guy who does hand painted stripes to break dance occasionally. In the summer he'll show up, unload his little wagon full of paint and occasionally take his shirt off. That's when I send my wife out to the shop to get a VIN number off of or take a pic of a supplement part for the car parked next to the one he is striping. Fuggin hilarious. Our other local striper went to prison for murder. Be careful out there...lol.

Post up some more pics of your resto projects! I wish I could find a couple good guys who like to do resto work. I'm turning down old stuff that I could name my price on all the time. Awful hard to juggle that with collision repair especially with a small crew like we have.

Still have the Pantera?
BAD10
6/10/2016 2:59pm
Very cool! Betting the flake and hologram looks even more bitchin in person. How many hours were involved?
Thanks man! Yeah the pictures don't do it justice at all. The gold is a 4 stage candy, and the red a 3 stage candy.That combined with the highly reflective multi color flake and it really pops in person! I worked on it off and on over 3 1/2 weeks and didn't keep track, but I'm guessing 25-30 hours from prep to finish. Way more time than I planned, thats to be sure. I do high quality body and paint restorations on classic Italian exotic cars, and super complicated graphics have never been my specialty, but I am pretty satisfied with this one. Next time I will do a few things differently. But the good thing with this stuff is that there's no wrong are right answer as its totally subjective.
Meister
6/10/2016 9:50pm
If I send you a new white helmet, would you paint it? I dig. Simple and clean. Right up my alley. I'd be down for something similar, but with orange.
BAD10
6/10/2016 10:06pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2016 10:14pm
BAD10 wrote:
i got a good deal on this new Arai, but the graphic scheme was boring and ugly. Always thought having a unique painted helmet would be...
i got a good deal on this new Arai, but the graphic scheme was boring and ugly. Always thought having a unique painted helmet would be cool. I own a body and restoration shop where we work on cars as well as painting on motorcycles, but I never do helmets! So I decided to give it a go and I'm sharing the finished product. I'm no Troy Lee, but I'm pretty happy with it. I wanted a somewhat basic graphic layout with a little old school flavor, but using modern hi-tec colors.

Hey Meister, I will consider that possibility. PM me please. Thanks. To others that asked, if you are serious PM me as well. It wasn't my intention to solicit business so I don't want to break any rules and piss off the mods.
BAD10
6/10/2016 10:20pm
newmann wrote:
Looks good. Now that you are a custom painter and striper, are you going to act weird and only work when you are "in the mood"???:laugh...
Looks good. Now that you are a custom painter and striper, are you going to act weird and only work when you are "in the mood"???Laughing I can get the guy who does hand painted stripes to break dance occasionally. In the summer he'll show up, unload his little wagon full of paint and occasionally take his shirt off. That's when I send my wife out to the shop to get a VIN number off of or take a pic of a supplement part for the car parked next to the one he is striping. Fuggin hilarious. Our other local striper went to prison for murder. Be careful out there...lol.

Post up some more pics of your resto projects! I wish I could find a couple good guys who like to do resto work. I'm turning down old stuff that I could name my price on all the time. Awful hard to juggle that with collision repair especially with a small crew like we have.

Still have the Pantera?
Hey Newman! I didn't know you have a body shop. Where are you located? Yeah, I still have the Pantera..... Gonna hold on as the value is going up. I'll post a few pics of some projects later.
TeamGreen
6/10/2016 10:54pm
Reminds me of the cool old "Lakester" Hot Rods!

Nice.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
6/11/2016 12:42am
Nice work... I'm sure that helmets looks incredible in the sun. I'm a big fan of the simple look myself....

I've had many helmets painted for my son 10 years or so ago. I even had Troy do a couple, when he was sponsoring him. I've had two done for myself back in the early 90's. I've spent as little as $250 for a pretty damn nice job and have also spent $800 on one from Troy, and that was half price.... I've seen $1600 paint jobs, which is just crazy, but it's really a lot of work. Every helmet I ever had done, I had an extra visor painted. Only used a couple of them, before he wrecked the helmet in a crash, but I also had to go with a chrome Troy Lee visor after we used up the spare.

The amount of time it takes to custom paint a helmet is mind bogling. There is so much work involved and when you're doing them right, you pull the rubber off to paint and then replace it when you're done with the 3M adhesive. Such a pain in the ass to get it just right and not have any edges of the rubber lifting up. There's an art to that stuff.
I still dig them and wouldn't mind having another one painted soon, but one of the ones I had done was ruined the 1st day I ever wore it. I was so bummed. With the cost of helmets these days and adding another $500+ on a paint job, it is a tough one to pull the trigger on.
With the helmet companies coming out with so many good color combos and those same companies wanting to sell those designs, the Pros seem to have gotten away from custom helmet paint jobs. I've seen a few of the kids coming up in the amateur ranks wearing them, but even they are being asked to wear the ones that they sell. Makes sense.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/11/2016 12:30pm
Very nice. MBR's HRC Arais are sweet too!

I like having a custom helmet because it doesn't quickly turn into "last year's helmet design," like any of the pre-painted ones will.

agn5009
6/11/2016 1:18pm
Hell yeah. Nice job
usp4u
6/11/2016 3:50pm
YOU MUST...under your last name, hand brush "NUTZ"

Your welcome. Your helmet is now finished.

Post a reply to: So I always wanted a custom painted helmet....

The Latest