So... I Rode the Alta!

MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
Edited Date/Time 12/22/2017 4:48pm
I hit the 110 out to milestone today to ride and stumbled upon a dealership set up with a test ride tent for the new Alta MX machine.

Upon throwing a leg over, I got the feeling that I was on one nimble, quick motorcycle. Not having to kickstart the bike in 95 degree heat was obviously a gift from God, and getting going was as easy as one, two, three (literally)

There were four map settings available, two trail settings and two MX settings. The standard moto setting was very comparable to what I'd say would be a mix between a 250 and 350 four stroke. The only other map I decided to try was the fastest setting, or "hooligan" setting as the lovely representative called it. The hooligan setting was gnarly my dudes. Ever want to feel the torque of Eli Tomac's KX450F? Sign up to ride the Alta and put it on into that fourth map. I was spinning the rear everywhere, these things are fast and I don't care what anyone else says, they can compete. With correct body positioning and weight transfer it plants the rear very well and takes off like a damn missile.

The suspension was not set up for a 250 novice rider so it was damn soft but with some tweaks it would have been perfect. Solid suspension given the circumstances. Braking was insane, definitely one of the hardest stopping bikes I've ridden.

Overall if you've never checked one out I would definitely suggest riding one if given the chance, a high price tag maybe true but for two laps to feel it out there's no reason not to!

Thank you to the people who were there at the stone today and thank you Alta for making moto great again!
|
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
7/23/2017 3:48pm
Cool review - I can't wait to try one!
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
7/23/2017 4:30pm
Thanks for sharing. I want to ride one soon.
Mx746
7/23/2017 4:39pm
we've already lost one of 5 senses with loss of 2t's and castor.
Im not ready to lose sound as well.
someday we'll ride with virtual reality helmets instead of bikes, and the transformation will be complete.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
7/23/2017 4:42pm
Mx746 wrote:
we've already lost one of 5 senses with loss of 2t's and castor. Im not ready to lose sound as well. someday we'll ride with virtual...
someday we'll ride with virtual reality helmets instead of bikes, and the transformation will be complete.
They still make sounds, just different sounds Wink but it is pretty cool to hear the rear tire digging. Not something you can hear on a gas bike.

The Shop

7/23/2017 4:44pm
I've went from a huge skeptic of Alta bikes to deciding that they will rule when battery tech gets perfected.
RangerLee
7/23/2017 4:54pm
All it will take is a top rider posting some killer results somewhere. I have seen an electric MX bike take a massive starting lead at a Cross Country race. As everyone starts with their bikes off and at the GO, they start their bikes and launch, the electric was just gone, so far ahead of everyone.

Then being able to just stop on a tight rocky climbing section with many other bikes stopped or stalled in front, the rider just pointed else where and turned the throttle, no worries of stalling at all.

Honestly I think those that grow up with electric bikes, that can compete, will not have the same attachment to the gas bikes that we have.
MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
7/23/2017 5:55pm
Mx746 wrote:
we've already lost one of 5 senses with loss of 2t's and castor. Im not ready to lose sound as well. someday we'll ride with virtual...
colintrax wrote:
They still make sounds, just different sounds ;) but it is pretty cool to hear the rear tire digging. Not something you can hear on a...
They still make sounds, just different sounds Wink but it is pretty cool to hear the rear tire digging. Not something you can hear on a gas bike.
The thing is so powerful and so fun to ride I didn't have time to give a flying fuck about what I heard from it!!! I was too busy focusing on controlling the bike and I think if you're a real enthusiast you do the exact same.
MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
7/23/2017 5:57pm
I've went from a huge skeptic of Alta bikes to deciding that they will rule when battery tech gets perfected.
Yeah the battery life seemed pretty good considering it was being abused all day, I think they had two MX models in rotation and probably charged each one only once in about a 5 hour time span. We got two laps each on it, the bike seemed like it has the potential to last way longer than I physically could on a rough track.
kiwifan
7/23/2017 6:06pm
They are definitely the future, but given the high price of some current 4 strokes and how many people moan about that pricing then I am not sure the Altas will take off until the cost is a lot more competitive, regardless of how good they
MX558
7/23/2017 6:11pm
I just wish I was younger too reap the full benefits of e bikes as you could have tracks everywhere and no one would give two shits . I love my 4t but they have killed more tracks than any tree huggers could .
MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
7/23/2017 6:22pm
kiwifan wrote:
They are definitely the future, but given the high price of some current 4 strokes and how many people moan about that pricing then I am...
They are definitely the future, but given the high price of some current 4 strokes and how many people moan about that pricing then I am not sure the Altas will take off until the cost is a lot more competitive, regardless of how good they
Valid points. If they somehow manage to keep the performance of the product where it is but drop the out the door price about 3-5K I think they have the potential to throw some haymakers at other OEM's sales numbers.
kiwifan
7/23/2017 6:29pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2017 6:31pm
kiwifan wrote:
They are definitely the future, but given the high price of some current 4 strokes and how many people moan about that pricing then I am...
MX Guy wrote:
Valid points. If they somehow manage to keep the performance of the product where it is but drop the out the door price about 3-5K I...
Valid points. If they somehow manage to keep the performance of the product where it is but drop the out the door price about 3-5K I think they have the potential to throw some haymakers at other OEM's sales numbers.
absolutely agree 100% Smile

More likely other manufacturers will follow suit rather than say produce 2 strokes....Honda has been using Mugen to develop very very fast electric bike racers (esp. at the IOM)...you can bet that technology will eventually flow out to customers at some point
speed_racer
Fantasy
1939th
7/23/2017 6:39pm
Somebody in the industry should hire MX Guy to test, he is fast and writes good stuff that makes sense.
Alta could use this guy as a spokesman.
Hut
7/23/2017 6:42pm
Mx746 wrote:
4 strokes sound like shit anyway, good riddance valves
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
7/23/2017 7:05pm
Has anyone tried an Alta on a deep sand track?

How well will it work there?
motomike137
7/23/2017 7:30pm
Mx746 wrote:
Hut wrote:
4 strokes sound like shit anyway, good riddance valves
I wouldn't miss the farters either from a sound stand point lol.
tempura
7/23/2017 7:38pm
I haven't seen one here in Japan.
I'm guessing the price would be the biggest issue selling them here.
Alta, if you're reading this and need someone to set up a demo and dealership in Japan, let me know!
They definitely are a big part of the future, and there's a lot of possibilities moving forward with them.
TXDirt
7/23/2017 7:47pm
No doubt this is the future. Lower maintenance, lower sound. Price will come Downs's the tech matures. They have a hell of a great product going.
JW381
7/23/2017 8:48pm
Mx746 wrote:
colintrax wrote:
They still make sounds, just different sounds ;) but it is pretty cool to hear the rear tire digging. Not something you can hear on a...
MX Guy wrote:
The thing is so powerful and so fun to ride I didn't have time to give a flying fuck about what I heard from it!!! I...
The thing is so powerful and so fun to ride I didn't have time to give a flying fuck about what I heard from it!!! I was too busy focusing on controlling the bike and I think if you're a real enthusiast you do the exact same.
I think that'll be true now, when they're new. But eventually, like the 2 strokes, we'll find ourselves turning back a bit because we miss "that sound". By no means am I against electric bikes, I think they're Uber cool and I can't wait to try one!
krypto71
7/23/2017 9:27pm
I'm sure they could do what is done with electric R/C planes where a light weight sound system can be added and then you can have whatever sound track you want, 2 stroke or 4 stroke haha
Hut
7/23/2017 9:34pm
"light weight sound system"
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
7/23/2017 10:01pm
krypto71 wrote:
I'm sure they could do what is done with electric R/C planes where a light weight sound system can be added and then you can have...
I'm sure they could do what is done with electric R/C planes where a light weight sound system can be added and then you can have whatever sound track you want, 2 stroke or 4 stroke haha
Could I cancel out the sounds from my bike and make it sound like Gared's instead?
https://youtu.be/qLLK7s1wOcs
MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
7/23/2017 10:06pm
krypto71 wrote:
I'm sure they could do what is done with electric R/C planes where a light weight sound system can be added and then you can have...
I can't really wrap my head around needing loudness to go fast. When I hop on a bike I haven't ridden I still think the same as when I'm on my own bike, and I basically always go the same speed after a couple laps of adjusting. I think tripping out over the sound of it is just wasting time you could be thinking about how fun it is.

If you think it's totally quiet you are surely mistaken. You can definitely hear the thing. Maybe not if you're on a clapped out two smoker and an Alta rider is coming in hot behind you, but riding it yourself there's most certainly a fantastic Fomula-E type sound.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
7/23/2017 10:56pm
kiwifan wrote:
I agree i couldn't afford 1 if I had too
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
7/24/2017 7:56am
Nice review. Thanks!

RC cars have onboard sound

BobPA
7/24/2017 8:05am
MX Guy wrote:
I can't really wrap my head around [i]needing[/i] loudness to go fast. When I hop on a bike I haven't ridden I still think the same...
I can't really wrap my head around needing loudness to go fast. When I hop on a bike I haven't ridden I still think the same as when I'm on my own bike, and I basically always go the same speed after a couple laps of adjusting. I think tripping out over the sound of it is just wasting time you could be thinking about how fun it is.

If you think it's totally quiet you are surely mistaken. You can definitely hear the thing. Maybe not if you're on a clapped out two smoker and an Alta rider is coming in hot behind you, but riding it yourself there's most certainly a fantastic Fomula-E type sound.
If you think Formula E sounds good.....

Post a reply to: So... I Rode the Alta!

The Latest