So I Painted a Helmet... Part 2

Edited Date/Time 7/31/2017 12:33pm
So I want to point out that this one was more an experimental patchwork quilt than a unified complete design.
I had a few different things that I wanted to attempt, just to see if I was doing stuff sufficiently... Techniques, styles, brush strokes, masking, etc... Im starting to get the hang of it, and the next one will swing for the fences.

|
kkawboy14
7/26/2017 5:22pm
I like it! It looks like it's going fast just sitting there!
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
7/26/2017 5:31pm
Wanna paint a helmet for me?

The Shop

newmann
7/26/2017 5:51pm
Someone got their clear coat figured out. I see some slick ass gloss. So now we have a guy who has an eye for design and colors as well as the ability to lay it down slick. I'd say you are well on your way to wherever you are wanting to go...Wink

Do you have anyone in your area that does hand painted stripes? There is a local custom painter here who will occasionally get a 2 day class together on custom painting or hand painted stripes. He always said he could have me laying down most any hand stripes in his 2 day class. I laughed, but he told me he has proved it over and over. I have seen the class projects that the custom paint class turned out in 2 days. Amazing stuff.
7/26/2017 7:38pm
newmann wrote:
Someone got their clear coat figured out. I see some slick ass gloss. So now we have a guy who has an eye for design and...
Someone got their clear coat figured out. I see some slick ass gloss. So now we have a guy who has an eye for design and colors as well as the ability to lay it down slick. I'd say you are well on your way to wherever you are wanting to go...Wink

Do you have anyone in your area that does hand painted stripes? There is a local custom painter here who will occasionally get a 2 day class together on custom painting or hand painted stripes. He always said he could have me laying down most any hand stripes in his 2 day class. I laughed, but he told me he has proved it over and over. I have seen the class projects that the custom paint class turned out in 2 days. Amazing stuff.
I've been trying to teach myself striping using YouTube videos but its very difficult. I've been seriously considering going to Australia for a 3 day lettering class.
Mini Elsinore
7/26/2017 7:46pm
That's a bitchin lid. Are you in OK? I've got a 6d in cue ball.... Wink
Badd127
Fantasy
2195th
7/27/2017 12:26am
That's just plain awesome! Can't wait to see helmet no:3
7/27/2017 12:33am Edited Date/Time 7/27/2017 12:35am
That looks great. Mine is still sitting primed and ready to go. I just need to get a compressor. Should order it next week.

The shapes on the right side look similar to that Des nations design that we were talking about Wink
7/27/2017 4:01am
That's a bitchin lid. Are you in OK? I've got a 6d in cue ball.... Wink
Ya Im in Oklahoma.
A 6d would be fun to paint because of its conventional outer shell shape.
7/28/2017 6:44am
That looks great. Mine is still sitting primed and ready to go. I just need to get a compressor. Should order it next week. The shapes...
That looks great. Mine is still sitting primed and ready to go. I just need to get a compressor. Should order it next week.

The shapes on the right side look similar to that Des nations design that we were talking about Wink
Ya similar... I finally got my awesome masking tape from Spain, hence the inner white lines. My main goal with those was to make parallel horizontal lines along the curve of the helmet. Much more difficult than it looks!
dl117
Fantasy
2577th
7/28/2017 7:38am
looks awesome, you are doing a great job.
Panic_Rev
7/28/2017 7:47am
Do you always put lipstick on your manikins?
JBlain619
7/28/2017 7:51am
Great job again!!! If you are ready for #3, let me know. I'll send you one!
7/29/2017 6:32am
JBlain619 wrote:
Great job again!!! If you are ready for #3, let me know. I'll send you one!
Im going to finish the one i just started to get a little better before doing someone elses.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an older paint job from which I could draw inspiration?
brocster
7/29/2017 6:52am
Helmet looks awesome! Flame are very Jeff Matesavich ish. (Sp)

Constructive criticism: when shading (the black in your case) on the big stripe over the top and the drop shadow on the flames, dont try to actually air brush the shadow. i.e. follow your mask with the middle or heavy part of your spray pattern and let the overspray cause the effect in one smooth motion. Start your stroke completely over the mask when possible. I always used mask and an exacto for all of my line work rather than a brush. With the little added pressure to cut the tape I was a lot more steady than trying to pull a long hair (liner) brush. Hope this helps and looking forward to part 3.
snackfedbear
7/29/2017 6:58am
Im going to finish the one i just started to get a little better before doing someone elses. Does anyone have any suggestions on an older...
Im going to finish the one i just started to get a little better before doing someone elses.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an older paint job from which I could draw inspiration?
I say you try to replicate the pastrana Shoei from back in the day!
Katoomey
7/29/2017 8:02am
Im going to finish the one i just started to get a little better before doing someone elses. Does anyone have any suggestions on an older...

any of the Troy Lee stuff from the mid 90's. that era had the most whimsical designs imo. a lot of personality and color compared to the racier, edgier stuff you see today, with all white or black backdrops, sharp/pointy lines and corporate cleanliness, if you will.

do you use liquid mask at all, just curious?
dirtdog36
7/29/2017 9:01am

I always liked the sheet metal and rivets look...
JRT812
7/29/2017 9:08am
Great job! For inspiration, I've always enjoyed helmets with some gold leaf incorporated.
7/29/2017 8:14pm

I say you try to replicate the pastrana Shoei from back in the day!
I never did like Travis' Pro Art Works lidz.

Never used liquid mask but i want to.
7/30/2017 2:40pm
brocster wrote:
Helmet looks awesome! Flame are very Jeff Matesavich ish. (Sp) Constructive criticism: when shading (the black in your case) on the big stripe over the top...

Constructive criticism: when shading (the black in your case) on the big stripe over the top and the drop shadow on the flames, dont try to actually air brush the shadow. i.e. follow your mask with the middle or heavy part of your spray pattern and let the overspray cause the effect in one smooth motion. Start your stroke completely over the mask when possible. I always used mask and an exacto for all of my line work rather than a brush. With the little added pressure to cut the tape I was a lot more steady than trying to pull a long hair (liner) brush. Hope this helps and looking forward to part 3.
Thanks for the tips... The shadow was a clusterfuck from the get go... I was having problems with my airbrush clogging (I've since upgraded it from .35mm to. 5mm) and it just wasn't flowing properly... I'd get a big surge and suddenly id have a wider shadow than i wanted. Im gonna be looking into a preset handle to help me keep my paint flow amount regular.
My new lid I'm painting is going to be a modern take on an old school 90s tld custom job. Im pumped on it.
APLMAN99
7/30/2017 4:13pm
brocster wrote:
Helmet looks awesome! Flame are very Jeff Matesavich ish. (Sp) Constructive criticism: when shading (the black in your case) on the big stripe over the top...

Thanks for the tips... The shadow was a clusterfuck from the get go... I was having problems with my airbrush clogging (I've since upgraded it from...
Thanks for the tips... The shadow was a clusterfuck from the get go... I was having problems with my airbrush clogging (I've since upgraded it from .35mm to. 5mm) and it just wasn't flowing properly... I'd get a big surge and suddenly id have a wider shadow than i wanted. Im gonna be looking into a preset handle to help me keep my paint flow amount regular.
My new lid I'm painting is going to be a modern take on an old school 90s tld custom job. Im pumped on it.
What brand/model is the open face helmet and visor? I've been looking for a decent open face for around the farm and like that style.
kkawboy14
7/30/2017 6:05pm
brocster wrote:

Thanks for the tips... The shadow was a clusterfuck from the get go... I was having problems with my airbrush clogging (I've since upgraded it from...
APLMAN99 wrote:
What brand/model is the open face helmet and visor? I've been looking for a decent open face for around the farm and like that style.
That thing looks like an old Troy Lee designs helmet
APLMAN99
7/31/2017 6:00am
Dang, I was hoping it was a helmet that was currently made. It'd still be a long shot to find one big enough anyway.........

I like the artwork too.
7/31/2017 6:41am
Well done, pilotbro!

Where are you getting the paint for your airbrush? I believe I told you in your first thread I wanted to take a stab at this, but I'm wondering what sort of paint your purchasing and the source. Also, are you thinning it before using? I got pretty adept at airbrush work on plastic models, but those are largely flat, military paints and usually don't require thinning before application. I have the skills to mask and paint (see photo) but need some guidance. Thank you!

Post a reply to: So I Painted a Helmet... Part 2

The Latest