So I Painted a 3rd Helmet

Related:
Create New Tag

10/1/2017 4:14 PM

Most complex one yet... Still made a ton of mistakes,but I learned a lot more for the next one.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

10/1/2017 4:17 PM

Can I ship you a helmet and have you paint it? laughing

|

10/1/2017 4:44 PM

Photo

|

10/1/2017 4:51 PM

Love it beside the black flames, this helments is so sick

|

10/1/2017 4:55 PM

TheOriginalPancakee wrote:

Can I ship you a helmet and have you paint it? laughing

Me too. Looks great!

|

10/1/2017 5:02 PM

Damn put me on the waiting list! I don't need a new lid right now but I'll buy one just so I can have you paint it!

|

10/1/2017 5:04 PM

How cheap???

|

10/1/2017 5:05 PM

NICE! I dig it! Kind of flames inside of flames....and asymmetrical. But you can't see the number when your goggles are on.

|

10/1/2017 5:07 PM

Nice job but why are you advertising for Troy Lee when you painted it??

|

10/1/2017 5:10 PM

TheOriginalPancakee wrote:

Can I ship you a helmet and have you paint it? laughing

I have two still to do of my own and my brothers... After that Ill feel comfortable doing someone else's. Shoot me a email to josephpatton145@gmail.com about it.

And I have to fess us that the flames are almost directly from a Factory Phil TLD lid. I changed em up a bit, and the rest is all me.

|

10/1/2017 5:40 PM

Hope you got permission to use that Red Bull logo lol

|

10/1/2017 5:51 PM

rmoto003 wrote:

Hope you got permission to use that Red Bull logo lol

He's not selling it, nothing RedBull can do about that.

|

10/1/2017 5:53 PM

Flip109 wrote:

How cheap???

You meant to say "how much"...

|

10/1/2017 5:54 PM

Looks great but I also don't get the Troy Lee part?

|

10/1/2017 5:59 PM

TheOriginalPancakee wrote:

Can I ship you a helmet and have you paint it? laughing

thefactorypilot wrote:

I have two still to do of my own and my brothers... After that Ill feel comfortable doing someone else's. Shoot me a email to josephpatton145@gmail.com about it.

And I have to fess us that the flames are almost directly from a Factory Phil TLD lid. I changed em up a bit, and the rest is all me.

What's your plan on price for that type of paint job?

|

10/1/2017 6:14 PM

Looks like what Damon Bradshaw would have worn if he was a Red Bull guy. I dig it.

|

10/1/2017 6:20 PM

It's a TLD helmet

|

10/1/2017 7:30 PM

yak651 wrote:

Looks great but I also don't get the Troy Lee part?

Maybe Troy will hire him

|

10/1/2017 7:30 PM

Badass! Good work man.

|

10/1/2017 8:03 PM

Flip109 wrote:

How cheap???

Squitlege wrote:

You meant to say "how much"...

Nope. Ballin on a budget over here! laughing tongue

|

10/1/2017 8:26 PM

When I was randomly googling helmets I can across that design too. I'm attempting to replicate a Troy Lee paint job and I figured I would put his stickers on it. I didn't come up with the design.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

10/2/2017 12:23 AM

I cant wrap my mind around how you layer a project like this. My mind doesn't work that way sideways

|

10/2/2017 12:59 AM

geusswho wrote:

Love it beside the black flames, this helments is so sick

Yeah, black flames are too much. Rest is cool. Good job!

|

10/2/2017 4:40 AM

rongi#401 wrote:

I cant wrap my mind around how you layer a project like this. My mind doesn't work that way sideways

Heres the basic order. .
-white base
-tape off big flames on top to include space for outline
-tape off yellow circle on chin
-spray orange on top, yellow on chin, blue on bottom and back
-tape off racing chevron on side cover all yellow on chin
-untape upper flames then tape and spray yellow outline
-cover yellow outline, spray blue flakes
-cover big flames, hand paint black flames with pinstripe dagger
-add orange area on back because I made a design change
-mask and spray numbers, outline by hand.
- do name by hand on the fly (not the best way to get a good result!)

Obviously theres more to it, but thats my basic process. Deciding what to tape on the basecoat is the most difficult iimho

|

10/2/2017 4:43 AM

geusswho wrote:

Love it beside the black flames, this helments is so sick

andyman wrote:

Yeah, black flames are too much. Rest is cool. Good job!

Im inclined to agree... I overdid it a bit.
My main goal though was to do a more complex design than I've previously done.

|

10/2/2017 5:55 AM

ga_pike wrote:

Nice job but why are you advertising for Troy Lee when you painted it??

Because I don't have any decals of my own yet, except for the blue circular sticker of the winglet on the back. I need to have some visor sized decals made

|

10/2/2017 5:58 AM

flopper12 wrote:

It's a TLD helmet

Also correct... It is a TLD AiR helmet and it came with the visor decals.

|

10/2/2017 6:13 AM

Very cool, I am itching to do one more complicated, but need the airbrush skills to be worked on. Each one gets better and better.

|

kcco

10/2/2017 11:20 AM

Can i ask what kind of paint you are using? Are some better than others for a helmet? And, are you stripping the helmet completely of paint before you begin painting it, or are you just priming over what is there?

|

10/2/2017 12:05 PM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

Can i ask what kind of paint you are using? Are some better than others for a helmet? And, are you stripping the helmet completely of paint before you begin painting it, or are you just priming over what is there?

I use a few different kinds of paint... Mainly Createx Auto Air waterbased paint. If its a particular colir that i cant get with the createx, Ill use HoK. I also use HoK for all my striping and lettering. For the clear coat I use KustomShop.

Depends on whether or not the helmet is brand new. If its brand nee I just smooth out the stock graphics, scuff, and paint. Im experimenting with HoK primer on the next one.
For a used helmet, after I fill all the chips, I shoot a high build primer on it.

Forgot to mention that in between the primer and color, I use a createx base sealer.

|