So Dungey WOULD have raced SX for the right program..

Johnny Depp
11/29/2020 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 12/6/2020 8:51am
The possibilities...
|
hypermoto
11/29/2020 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2020 1:50pm
If Mike Tyson can come back to Boxing at 54 after 15 years away, I’m pretty sure Dungey could have found a way to race if he truly wanted to. I don’t think he found that opportunity because how much was he riding and training?

Maybe a MotoFiteClub appearance next year is in the books!!
Brent
11/29/2020 2:11pm
Based on his IG he didn't really seem serious about training, he looked to be on my chosen fitness program for rickety old men instead of a real pro's routine...
agn5009
11/29/2020 2:11pm
hypermoto wrote:
If Mike Tyson can come back to Boxing at 54 after 15 years away, I’m pretty sure Dungey could have found a way to race if...
If Mike Tyson can come back to Boxing at 54 after 15 years away, I’m pretty sure Dungey could have found a way to race if he truly wanted to. I don’t think he found that opportunity because how much was he riding and training?

Tyson came back to do a charity fight against another retired fighter. You couldn’t have possibly used a worse comparison.

Your comparison would be more like Dungey and Villopoto racing each other for Make A Wish.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
11/29/2020 2:15pm
Brent wrote:
Based on his IG he didn't really seem serious about training, he looked to be on my chosen fitness program for rickety old men instead of...
Based on his IG he didn't really seem serious about training, he looked to be on my chosen fitness program for rickety old men instead of a real pro's routine...
He follows the same plan Barcia does.

The Shop

kkawboy14
11/29/2020 2:18pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2020 2:25pm
The possibilities...
I would race sx for the right program
hypermoto
11/29/2020 2:19pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2020 2:21pm
hypermoto wrote:
If Mike Tyson can come back to Boxing at 54 after 15 years away, I’m pretty sure Dungey could have found a way to race if...

agn5009 wrote:
Tyson came back to do a charity fight against another retired fighter. You couldn’t have possibly used a worse comparison. Your comparison would be more like...
Tyson came back to do a charity fight against another retired fighter. You couldn’t have possibly used a worse comparison.

Your comparison would be more like Dungey and Villopoto racing each other for Make A Wish.
Uhhh,

Yeah. Tyson in a 1 in 1 fight with Roy Jones Jr. (one of the greatest pfp fighters in history) 2 years out of retirement is much safer than Ryan Dungey racing a few SX races to show teams he’s “still got it” and maybe get an opportunity. MC did it.

You know how many boxers have died in the ring? At 54 that could have gone horrible wrong, easily.

And as for your comparison, he had the opportunity at MotoFiteClub. And he didn’t do it.
APLMAN99
11/29/2020 2:23pm
I'm actually surprised that KTM didn't pursue him to race the Gas Gas, at least if they knew he was interested early enough. He definitely would have brought a huge amount of attention.

The only other "factory" situation that I could have seen would have been Suzuki opening up their checkbook and keeping JGR running another year with him on board. But obviously there would have been a lot of angles that could have made that a pipe dream.
aeffertz
11/29/2020 2:40pm
I picture Dungey following the RV plan soon enough. Doing one off events, being a paid tester, brand ambassador and “influencer”.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
885th
11/29/2020 2:41pm
Brent wrote:
Based on his IG he didn't really seem serious about training, he looked to be on my chosen fitness program for rickety old men instead of...
Are you for real? Fitness is the last thing you have to worry about with Dungey.
numbers
11/29/2020 2:52pm
Brent wrote:
SPYGUY wrote:
Are you for real? Fitness is the last thing you have to worry about with Dungey.
SX doesn't require the fitness outdoors does. Hed be just fine. Im just curious on how hed do on another bike. They built that KTM for him.
BigBoreFan58
11/29/2020 3:00pm
I hope he doesn't come back. He went out on top. He has nothing to gain IMO. And for the record I'm a huge Dungey fan.
agn5009
11/29/2020 3:02pm
hypermoto wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
Tyson came back to do a charity fight against another retired fighter. You couldn’t have possibly used a worse comparison. Your comparison would be more like...

hypermoto wrote:
Uhhh, Yeah. Tyson in a 1 in 1 fight with Roy Jones Jr. (one of the greatest pfp fighters in history) 2 years out of retirement...
Uhhh,

Yeah. Tyson in a 1 in 1 fight with Roy Jones Jr. (one of the greatest pfp fighters in history) 2 years out of retirement is much safer than Ryan Dungey racing a few SX races to show teams he’s “still got it” and maybe get an opportunity. MC did it.

You know how many boxers have died in the ring? At 54 that could have gone horrible wrong, easily.

And as for your comparison, he had the opportunity at MotoFiteClub. And he didn’t do it.
You’re not making any sense. I believe Dungey could still do really well. I’m a huge fan and never said he couldn’t. I’m just pointing out that your comparison couldn’t have been more stupid. if you would have compared Roy Jones coming back and fighting whoever is the top current boxer in his weight class then I’d say it was a decent comparison.
hypermoto
11/29/2020 3:07pm
agn5009 wrote:
You’re not making any sense. I believe Dungey could still do really well. I’m a huge fan and never said he couldn’t. I’m just pointing out...
You’re not making any sense. I believe Dungey could still do really well. I’m a huge fan and never said he couldn’t. I’m just pointing out that your comparison couldn’t have been more stupid. if you would have compared Roy Jones coming back and fighting whoever is the top current boxer in his weight class then I’d say it was a decent comparison.
I’m saying Dungey claims he “wanted” to race. These 2 wanted to fight, and found a way to make it happen. An exhibition made it happen. Buying a bike and box van would also make it happen for Dungey.
EngIceDave
11/29/2020 3:22pm
hypermoto wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

hypermoto wrote:
Uhhh, Yeah. Tyson in a 1 in 1 fight with Roy Jones Jr. (one of the greatest pfp fighters in history) 2 years out of retirement...
Uhhh,

Who won?

Oh yeah, was a draw.

Was also clearly labeled as an "Exhibition"

Did Las Vegas take odds on the fight?
agn5009
11/29/2020 4:10pm
agn5009 wrote:
You’re not making any sense. I believe Dungey could still do really well. I’m a huge fan and never said he couldn’t. I’m just pointing out...
hypermoto wrote:
I’m saying Dungey claims he “wanted” to race. These 2 wanted to fight, and found a way to make it happen. An exhibition made it happen...
I’m saying Dungey claims he “wanted” to race. These 2 wanted to fight, and found a way to make it happen. An exhibition made it happen. Buying a bike and box van would also make it happen for Dungey.
You keep digging man. It’s always best just to say yes it was a dumb comparison and move on.
hypermoto
11/29/2020 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2020 4:21pm
agn5009 wrote:
hypermoto wrote:
I’m saying Dungey claims he “wanted” to race. These 2 wanted to fight, and found a way to make it happen. An exhibition made it happen...
agn5009 wrote:
You keep digging man. It’s always best just to say yes it was a dumb comparison and move on.
Dumb comparison that one of the most famous combat sports fighters in history, former undefeated world champ, will come back for an Exhibition match, but a Motocross racer (that couldn’t secure a sponsor) wont race without a factory bike or team to show he’s still capable. Not even for a few races.

Also we are tossing opinions around. No such thing as a wrong opinion. If you disagree just scroll past.
yz133rider
11/29/2020 4:18pm
hypermoto wrote:
Dumb comparison that one of the most famous combat sports fighters in history, former undefeated world champ, will come back for an Exhibition match, but a...
Dumb comparison that one of the most famous combat sports fighters in history, former undefeated world champ, will come back for an Exhibition match, but a Motocross racer (that couldn’t secure a sponsor) wont race without a factory bike or team to show he’s still capable. Not even for a few races.

Also we are tossing opinions around. No such thing as a wrong opinion. If you disagree just scroll past.
They made MILLIONS for that fight.

If Dungey would have had an opportunity to make millions and have the equipment and logistics taken care of, he would be there.

He’s not going to privateer it and grind and struggle to prove it. He doesn’t need it that badly, but if the opportunity presented itself he would have.

That’s what I take from it all and is my speculation.
agn5009
11/29/2020 4:25pm
hypermoto wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
hypermoto wrote:
Dumb comparison that one of the most famous combat sports fighters in history, former undefeated world champ, will come back for an Exhibition match, but a...

I guarantee if someone approached Dungey and asked him to race a charity event for Make A Wish he would load his personal bike up and be there in a heartbeat.

You’re expecting him to do more than a one off event. I don’t see Mike Tyson or Roy Jones Jr coming back to fight for the title. And if they did it would be while getting paid.
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
11/29/2020 5:03pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2020 5:04pm
Dungey not getting a decent ride of some sort is the epitome of how crappy the moto industry is...

Same as being overly reliant on some insurance company..

No doubt he would be top 5..
TogaSet
Fantasy
3824th
11/29/2020 5:05pm
I’m not one but I can only imagine gating up with the best guys in the world intense action, excitement and drama then go to back to normal joe life. Doing not much basically. He misses it. I hope he stays out too. Left on top. Good way to leave.
Lightning78
11/29/2020 5:07pm
Either Dungey was trying to drum up some publicity for him or his coffee company and sounding the jungle drums certainly put his name on everybody's mind when word broke out he was contemplating a return to racing. which could possibly explain the Geico in-n-out move. Maybe he was looking to get into a low level sponsorship with a team.

Or be his own sponsor on the team he was trying to put together for himself. I was never reallllly convinced he was gonna go through with the return to racing, there was hardly ANY promotional stuff like videos of him riding hardly at all throughout the entire time he was "seriously looking" into his alley-like return to SX. I cant lie I was excited and think he wouldve done very good but I dont buy that nonsense he couldnt get enough support. All he needed was a factory bike, hell he couldve ridden the 2020 bike and I doubt honda would've minded. The 2020 bike for all intents and purposes was a well developed and bike ready to race SX.
He didnt NEED a 2021 that he wouldve had to spend all that time getting it setup Specially sensor's been a shortage of bikes and parts for that model.

He could have tested the waters and ridden a handful the 1st few rounds to see how things go that wouldn't have had to been a serious commitment by Kim's thinking he could get himself against other riders plus the training program would not have to be nearly as gnarly from to do maybe 5 races to see where he is.
numbers
11/29/2020 5:10pm
I hope he doesn't come back. He went out on top. He has nothing to gain IMO. And for the record I'm a huge Dungey fan.
TOMAC would make him look stupid.
Johnny Depp
11/29/2020 5:16pm
numbers wrote:
Tomac beat himself more than Dungey beat him.
yz133rider
11/29/2020 5:21pm
Checks still cash. Dungey being incredibly high on the all time wins list also shows he didn’t 2nd place his way to too many titles like people try to claim as well.
Flatliner
11/29/2020 5:22pm
numbers wrote:
That’s not how racing works. You beat, who lines up.
Flatliner
11/29/2020 5:25pm
This dungey tomac comparison isn’t even close. Dungey won both titles in 2010. Both.

Tomac had 15-16-17 to get that sx crown and it wasn’t even close except for 17’ when dungey wanted out after breaking his neck anyway.

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
11/29/2020 5:26pm
hypermoto wrote:

He also retired because he broke his neck and came to the realization that yeah, it really is dangerous.

Like I mentioned on the homepage in a comment...

Having talked with a few ex-pros, for some staying retired is easy. For others, it's not. They can quickly forget the reasons for wanting out and have to do a bit of rediscovery with themselves.
numbers
11/29/2020 5:43pm
numbers wrote:
TOMAC didn't get scared and quite when Kenny got hurt. Tomac would destroy Dungey if he came back.
HazemG
11/29/2020 5:43pm
hypermoto wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

Mike trained like a madman. He trained as if he were in his prime. Now, whether the end product was the same or not, is a different story.

Post a reply to: So Dungey WOULD have raced SX for the right program..

The Latest