Sneak peak of the Charlotte MXGP track

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/1/2016 3:37pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2016 3:38pm
Knobbyjake wrote:
Welcome to the future of American motocross. Fan friendly, easy access, demolishable after the event. We're doomed! Blink
Bearuno wrote:
Well, this is the 'model' that that Edmonds / Edmondson bloke from DMG / the France Family organization, put forward as his 'vision' for Motocross, when...
Well, this is the 'model' that that Edmonds / Edmondson bloke from DMG / the France Family organization, put forward as his 'vision' for Motocross, when they bought the sport from the AMA. Though, he talked about it being in your 'Super Speedways', not dirt track 1/2 miles.

He, was a major player in the lunacy that lead to the wrecking of your Road Race series in the US.

Luckily, for US MX, DC and Co got the rights to run US MX, and that has not come to pass - yet. DC and his company may not be perfect in many eyes, but they've been far better stewards of the sport of Motocross, than what DMG would be, or Luongo has been.

I'd be very worried for US MX when the contract comes up for it, again. Charlotte could be what might become 'the norm', if you are not careful.

And, you can be your arse that Luongo still has designs on acquiring US Motocross.

I don't think this is the model, at least from the U.S. side. If you listen to the jungle drums, there are rumors of up to four events like this per year. Add that to the rumored expansion of the Supercross side, and you start to wonder if there's an entity (or entities) actively trying to put the squeeze on the current National series.

The way some companies are involved, you start wondering what their end game is. Is it to support the sport? Or to steer the sport?
Bearuno
9/1/2016 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2016 3:55pm
Guy, this is the 'model' that that DMG bloke spoke about, but on a grander scale - re the Super Speedways'. I'm not saying it's the 'model' anyone currently champions for the sport - I shudder to think of it coming to pass.

He put it forward in quite a few interviews at the time DMG acquired the majority of US Motorcycle racing, and he presided over the numerous disastrous Road Racing rule changes, until he went to Canada. But, I think he may be back.

Look it up. Cycle News may have it in their archives. As grandiose as it may sound, You, as the owner of what I think is the largest MX / SX site, are a 'Steward' of our sport ( like it or not), and I think you should be aware of history, and that it could happen, in the way he put forward.

The Shop

mxnick
9/1/2016 3:55pm
Knobbyjake wrote:
Welcome to the future of American motocross. Fan friendly, easy access, demolishable after the event. We're doomed! Blink
Bearuno wrote:
Well, this is the 'model' that that Edmonds / Edmondson bloke from DMG / the France Family organization, put forward as his 'vision' for Motocross, when...
Well, this is the 'model' that that Edmonds / Edmondson bloke from DMG / the France Family organization, put forward as his 'vision' for Motocross, when they bought the sport from the AMA. Though, he talked about it being in your 'Super Speedways', not dirt track 1/2 miles.

He, was a major player in the lunacy that lead to the wrecking of your Road Race series in the US.

Luckily, for US MX, DC and Co got the rights to run US MX, and that has not come to pass - yet. DC and his company may not be perfect in many eyes, but they've been far better stewards of the sport of Motocross, than what DMG would be, or Luongo has been.

I'd be very worried for US MX when the contract comes up for it, again. Charlotte could be what might become 'the norm', if you are not careful.

And, you can be your arse that Luongo still has designs on acquiring US Motocross.

Bearuno, not sure where you are getting your ideas, I think you are really off base / totally wrong on your assumption about the France family and DMG.

Neither Roger Edmondson and nor anyone from the France family has ever publicly commented on the Motocross series and moving it to Super Speedways. In fact, none of them have ever gone on the record to speak about Motocross or anything even remotely close. I had a front row seat for all the media and press and interviews that took place when the deal went down in 2007/2008, and I am 100% certain that this vision was never discussed or thought about.

And thats leaving aside the historical Daytona Supercross, which is its own event and already classified as a Supercross.

Edmondson never once, ever, had any intentions of getting involved with American Motocross. It wasn't his deal.

Your suggestion that this idea was on the table for consideration in America is simply not correct.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/1/2016 3:58pm
Bearuno, I'd listen to that guy. ^^^
mxnick
9/1/2016 3:59pm
Bearuno wrote:
Guy, this is the 'model' that that DMG bloke spoke about, but on a grander scale - re the Super Speedways'. I'm not saying it's the...
Guy, this is the 'model' that that DMG bloke spoke about, but on a grander scale - re the Super Speedways'. I'm not saying it's the 'model' anyone currently champions for the sport - I shudder to think of it coming to pass.

He put it forward in quite a few interviews at the time DMG acquired the majority of US Motorcycle racing, and he presided over the numerous disastrous Road Racing rule changes, until he went to Canada. But, I think he may be back.

Look it up. Cycle News may have it in their archives. As grandiose as it may sound, You, as the owner of what I think is the largest MX / SX site, are a 'Steward' of our sport ( like it or not), and I think you should be aware of history, and that it could happen, in the way he put forward.

Go ahead and find a link - I was at all of the press conferences (Daytona, and a few others) and I never once heard any discussion about the Motocross "model" being changed. I think you have your memory mixed up with MXGP.
Hcallz5
9/1/2016 4:01pm
This is going to be the Utah National all over again.
Lucifa.
9/1/2016 6:19pm
Charlotte gas stations getting ready for USGP [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/09/01/149448/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Charlotte gas stations getting ready for USGP

On loan from Tallahassee and Orlando.
Bearuno
9/1/2016 6:20pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2016 6:21pm
mxnick wrote:
Go ahead and find a link - I was at all of the press conferences (Daytona, and a few others) and I never once heard any...
Go ahead and find a link - I was at all of the press conferences (Daytona, and a few others) and I never once heard any discussion about the Motocross "model" being changed. I think you have your memory mixed up with MXGP.
Guy - mxnick:

It was not said in any press conference that I know of - certainly not in the 2008 one where they announced DMGs acquisition of much of the AMA's portfolio of Motorcycle Sports.

It was in a written interview , sometime between then and Roger Edmondsons (first?) firing / resignation in 2010.

I'm trying to find it - but it's a long time ago, and I can't recall what magazine / publication I read it in. I'll keep trying, as I'm pretty sure others here won't.

It was a 'vision / model' Roger Edmondson put up - it may have been his 'vision' and his alone but, he was a fairly prominent member of staff of the DMG organisation.

I assume most of you know of the disastrous rule changes he presided over, with relation to your Road Race series?

Perhaps I've upset friends of Edmondson here, but all I know of him is his near destruction of one the great Road Race series, and I am citing one of his other, hair brained ideas.

Yes, it correlates quite closely to Luongos ideas for MX. I wonder if Luongo got the idea from him, or Edmondson got the idea from Luongo?

Luongo, I think, courted the AMA, and then DMG, trying to be the controller of US Motocross ( Clear Channel / Live Nation, and then Feld, as we know, hold the rights to SX) Thankfully, DC and Co got the contract.

Funnily (well, not), in my searching, I found straight away, reports on the FIMs (President?) Ippolito, in 2008/ 2009? with his talking about expanding SX to a "Real" World Championships. The sort of extra rounds they mentioned then, are much like what has been speculated about recently.This is to show how ideas can recirculate . Here's a copy and paste of that

*** In the same issue of Cycle News Henry Ray Abrams’ “Chicanery” column lays out a doomsday scenario. Abrams is a firebrand, a muckraker, a hyperbolic prophet of doom who is unhappy no matter what the AMA does. He’s excoriated Rob Dingman since he took the helm of the AMA. In spite of this, or maybe because of it, I like to read his stuff. In Abrams’ vision LiveNation/AMA/FIM expand the SX World Championship to the point it sucks so many dollars, riders, and dates from the US Nationals the series collapses. The relevant quote from Ippolito is this:

"The FIM is interested in having events outside of North America. If we have a World Championship, it must be a real World Championship. We have to push in this direction, and LiveNation agrees that this is important. They understand and are very interested to help have rounds outside of North America."

Abrams is right about a lot of things. Add 4 or 5 dates to the SX series, throw in the extra travel time to Asia and Australia, and you could have a real conflict with current MX National dates. At the very least you create a really long season. Now consider the Youthstream move, which has the following stated goal:

Youthstream USA has been formed to expand Youthstream’s worldwide operations and bring world-class events to the USA and other markets. This includes future Motocross and SuperMoto Grand Prix events and the prestigious Red Bull Motocross of Nations". *****

The sadly missed Henry Ray Abrams was a vociferous critic of the AMA, before it became DMGs AMA Pro - and, was, probably, even more so as he / we witnessed the damage done to Road Racing by Edmondson.

You blokes seem to be taking offense to my mentioning Edmondsons ideas. I read an interview , that I'm trying to find, so you might not think I'm inventing things. Why in hell would I?

I'm not advocating such a thing, nor am I suggesting any others here might. But I am absolutely sure I read an interview with that individual, talking about having Outdoor Motocross, in (Super) Speedways.

I'll keep looking, perhaps you fellows might, too.
Money
9/1/2016 6:41pm
The way the GP's are ran and the organizing of everything makes the mxsports series look silly. All the structures they have and working tv monitors and timing in the mechanics area are unreal
Lucifa.
9/1/2016 7:04pm
Money wrote:
The way the GP's are ran and the organizing of everything makes the mxsports series look silly. All the structures they have and working tv monitors...
The way the GP's are ran and the organizing of everything makes the mxsports series look silly. All the structures they have and working tv monitors and timing in the mechanics area are unreal
They probaly have a ton more money to make it look like that though. I think Davey and crew do a great job. All they need to work on is getting the final product out to the market place. i.e Pay internet TV package.
Jmicmoto13
9/1/2016 7:08pm
Dang, didn't know the track was gonna be incorporated into the dirt track. It's right next to the road so people driving by can see all the racing but I figured they would have used another piece of the property for the race.
TomZ
Fantasy
4428th
9/1/2016 7:12pm
Leget wrote:
Is anybody making plans for the ride day on Sunday? (Copy and paste from DirtRider) Motocross enthusiasts gearing up for the Monster Energy MXGP of the...
Is anybody making plans for the ride day on Sunday?

(Copy and paste from DirtRider)

Motocross enthusiasts gearing up for the Monster Energy MXGP of the Americas on September 2-3 have another exceptional, once-in-a-lifetime attraction awaiting them when they roll into The Dirt Track at Charlotte. The fans will have a unique opportunity to ride on the same world-class, first-of-its kind circuit as the MXGP superstars during an exhilarating Ride Day on September

Groups will go out as follows:

Group 1: 65 – 85cc (Ages 9-14)
Group 2: Super Mini/125cc (Ages 12-15)
Group 3: 125 – 250cc (13 years old + C/Beginner)
Group 4: 125 – 250cc (14 years old + B/A)
Group 5: 125 – 450cc (15 years old + C/Beginner)
Group 6: 125 – 450cc (15 years old + B/A)
Group 7: Vintage 1985 and older (all ages)
Group 8: 50cc (Ages 5-7)

656mx wrote:
So if you're 8yrs old you can only ride vintage class?
A small error there.
An 8yr old is welcome to ride 65-85 class or if a real beginner and the parent prefers he/she can ride 50cc if needed.
This isn't a race and is intended to be fun for all.
9/1/2016 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2016 8:18pm
Bearuno wrote:

You're right about one thing: US motorcycle road racing is a total irrelevant joke. AMA Superbike used to be pretty good, too.

And Supercross is, was and always will be shit. Just wanna be clear on that.
Stuntman949
9/1/2016 8:45pm
You're right about one thing: US motorcycle road racing is a total irrelevant joke. AMA Superbike used to be pretty good, too. And Supercross is, was...
You're right about one thing: US motorcycle road racing is a total irrelevant joke. AMA Superbike used to be pretty good, too.

And Supercross is, was and always will be shit. Just wanna be clear on that.
You've been dancing with Mr Brownstone
mxnick
9/1/2016 11:00pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2016 11:02pm
Bearuno wrote:
Guy - mxnick: It was not said in any press conference that I know of - certainly not in the 2008 one where they announced DMGs...
Guy - mxnick:

It was not said in any press conference that I know of - certainly not in the 2008 one where they announced DMGs acquisition of much of the AMA's portfolio of Motorcycle Sports.

It was in a written interview , sometime between then and Roger Edmondsons (first?) firing / resignation in 2010.

I'm trying to find it - but it's a long time ago, and I can't recall what magazine / publication I read it in. I'll keep trying, as I'm pretty sure others here won't.

It was a 'vision / model' Roger Edmondson put up - it may have been his 'vision' and his alone but, he was a fairly prominent member of staff of the DMG organisation.

I assume most of you know of the disastrous rule changes he presided over, with relation to your Road Race series?

Perhaps I've upset friends of Edmondson here, but all I know of him is his near destruction of one the great Road Race series, and I am citing one of his other, hair brained ideas.

Yes, it correlates quite closely to Luongos ideas for MX. I wonder if Luongo got the idea from him, or Edmondson got the idea from Luongo?

Luongo, I think, courted the AMA, and then DMG, trying to be the controller of US Motocross ( Clear Channel / Live Nation, and then Feld, as we know, hold the rights to SX) Thankfully, DC and Co got the contract.

Funnily (well, not), in my searching, I found straight away, reports on the FIMs (President?) Ippolito, in 2008/ 2009? with his talking about expanding SX to a "Real" World Championships. The sort of extra rounds they mentioned then, are much like what has been speculated about recently.This is to show how ideas can recirculate . Here's a copy and paste of that

*** In the same issue of Cycle News Henry Ray Abrams’ “Chicanery” column lays out a doomsday scenario. Abrams is a firebrand, a muckraker, a hyperbolic prophet of doom who is unhappy no matter what the AMA does. He’s excoriated Rob Dingman since he took the helm of the AMA. In spite of this, or maybe because of it, I like to read his stuff. In Abrams’ vision LiveNation/AMA/FIM expand the SX World Championship to the point it sucks so many dollars, riders, and dates from the US Nationals the series collapses. The relevant quote from Ippolito is this:

"The FIM is interested in having events outside of North America. If we have a World Championship, it must be a real World Championship. We have to push in this direction, and LiveNation agrees that this is important. They understand and are very interested to help have rounds outside of North America."

Abrams is right about a lot of things. Add 4 or 5 dates to the SX series, throw in the extra travel time to Asia and Australia, and you could have a real conflict with current MX National dates. At the very least you create a really long season. Now consider the Youthstream move, which has the following stated goal:

Youthstream USA has been formed to expand Youthstream’s worldwide operations and bring world-class events to the USA and other markets. This includes future Motocross and SuperMoto Grand Prix events and the prestigious Red Bull Motocross of Nations". *****

The sadly missed Henry Ray Abrams was a vociferous critic of the AMA, before it became DMGs AMA Pro - and, was, probably, even more so as he / we witnessed the damage done to Road Racing by Edmondson.

You blokes seem to be taking offense to my mentioning Edmondsons ideas. I read an interview , that I'm trying to find, so you might not think I'm inventing things. Why in hell would I?

I'm not advocating such a thing, nor am I suggesting any others here might. But I am absolutely sure I read an interview with that individual, talking about having Outdoor Motocross, in (Super) Speedways.

I'll keep looking, perhaps you fellows might, too.
Bearuno, the only thing I am making a reference to is your (incorrect) assumption that Roger Edmondson had some sort of "vision" that outdoor motocross might visit stadium/auto venue type facilities. That is 100% simply not correct.

As I stated in my earlier message, Roger E. and the France family never once had any plans to own, operate or run outdoor MX in the USA. When they purchased AMA Pro Racing, it was always a pass through deal from the begining of the negotiations.

If you can prove me wrong by finding this so called interview, please do, but I am certain that you have confused matters in your head and that no such interview exists with Roger or any France family member.

I am neither defending nor am I "friends" with any of the parties you mention, I just want to make sure that we dont spread any mis-information and re-write history that didnt exist.

As for Henny Ray, he was a very, very close friend of mine and we spoke a few times each month. He was one of the truly great motorcycle journalists, having been around the sport since the 1970's. Hray passed away at the age of 57 and while sitting at his keyboard, doing all that he knew. His "chicanery" columns were legendary. They were sometimes accurate, and sometimes nothing more than convenient (and fun, for him) conjecture.

But he quit doing them when some of the folks in the business (and maybe rightly so) got pissed and complained to CN management. One day after his boss complained to him about someone else complaining about his writing, he dropped the Mike and walked away, never to do another opinion piece again. Ironically, I dont think Cycle News ever posted another critical bit of editorial again, and before it folded.

They were always a fun read, for better or worse.

RIP, HRay47.

mxnick
9/1/2016 11:09pm
GuyB wrote:
Bearuno, I'd listen to that guy. ^^^
Thanks Guyb for the props.

As George Bernard Shaw said, "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig...."
DeStouwer
9/2/2016 12:44am
Joel Smets posted a picture on his FB, track is flooded at the moment.
redrider400
9/2/2016 2:38am
DeStouwer wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/09/02/149499/s1200_Charlotte.jpg[/img]

That sucks. Would have been an awesome race.
Prntscrn
9/2/2016 2:49am
Yeah that sucks.. But what's the weather report for today and tomorrow? Any chance of it drying up?
jamma10
9/2/2016 2:52am
Money wrote:
The way the GP's are ran and the organizing of everything makes the mxsports series look silly. All the structures they have and working tv monitors...
Lucifa. wrote:
They probaly have a ton more money to make it look like that though. I think Davey and crew do a great job. All they need...
They probaly have a ton more money to make it look like that though. I think Davey and crew do a great job. All they need to work on is getting the final product out to the market place. i.e Pay internet TV package.
Which boils down to financial management; higher entry fees, purse money etc.

Hope the weather improves for tomorrow! Whether youre a fan of man made tracks or not it would be shame to see all the hard work those guys in Charlotte have put in go to waste.
DC
9/2/2016 3:49am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2016 3:51am
Money: While I wish we could afford to have a better VIP viewing area and pit structure, we prefer using resources to build better motocross tracks and pay the riders prize money, and not charge four-figure sign-ups and team frees, and make them fly all over world to race. We just have a different business model...

And MXNick is right, we have never discussed going inside "super speedways" with the exception of Miller Motorsports Park, which simply did not work out the way either the facility or the series would hope.

I hope the weather clears up and the folks in Charlotte see a great motocross event on Saturday night. I won't make it, unfortunately, taking a little time with my kids after a long and successful summer.

Does anyone know what time the live TV coverage starts up?

DC
kongols
9/2/2016 3:53am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2016 3:53am
DC wrote:
Money: While I wish we could afford to have a better VIP viewing area and pit structure, we prefer using resources to build better motocross tracks...
Money: While I wish we could afford to have a better VIP viewing area and pit structure, we prefer using resources to build better motocross tracks and pay the riders prize money, and not charge four-figure sign-ups and team frees, and make them fly all over world to race. We just have a different business model...

And MXNick is right, we have never discussed going inside "super speedways" with the exception of Miller Motorsports Park, which simply did not work out the way either the facility or the series would hope.

I hope the weather clears up and the folks in Charlotte see a great motocross event on Saturday night. I won't make it, unfortunately, taking a little time with my kids after a long and successful summer.

DC
Qualification races at 3.30 AM here in Latvia, lol.
jemcee
9/2/2016 3:53am
I'll never understand why everything needs to be us vs them.. Both sides are guilty

Anyway I really hope they can fix that track up.. It'll suck the dong if it's a mudder!!
jemcee
9/2/2016 4:02am
DC wrote:
Money: While I wish we could afford to have a better VIP viewing area and pit structure, we prefer using resources to build better motocross tracks...

DC
Davey the times on the MXGP site are relative to your timezone
this is what mine says

sende
Fantasy
4455th
9/2/2016 4:28am
kongols wrote:
Qualification races at 3.30 AM here in Latvia, lol.
Same here. Grinning
DeStouwer
9/2/2016 4:49am
With those conditions it could very well be they just run a time practice and use that for the line up on raceday.

Post a reply to: Sneak peak of the Charlotte MXGP track

The Latest