Snapped x-trig hpsd bracket

Related:
Create New Tag

9/17/2018 10:47 AM

Happened halfway through my second moto yesterday, haven’t tightened or removed it since July? Always hand snugged with a 1/4”, Stabilizer expands and contracts fine, no leaks and is 7 clicks out.

Anyone seen this happen? Can it be repaired?

Photo

|

9/17/2018 10:56 AM

Contact x-trig, Looks like something they may make right.

|

9/17/2018 11:09 AM

Why did it break, is the dampener too stiff? Doesn't look like much meat around that threaded area.

|

9/17/2018 12:34 PM

Looks like it's been broken for quite some time, it just now let go (see the bright aluminum color at the back vs the darker color across the rest of it). How is the top attached to the frame? Who did that install? I'd suspect that the hole to hole spacing was wrong which caused the damper to either bottom out or top out through the stroke and cause excessive stress on the mount. There's not much force on it otherwise.

|

Billy Wight
Luxon MX
@LuxonMX
https://luxonmx.com
Motocross Components Engineered for Performance

9/17/2018 1:10 PM

Luxon MX wrote:

Looks like it's been broken for quite some time, it just now let go (see the bright aluminum color at the back vs the darker color across the rest of it). How is the top attached to the frame? Who did that install? I'd suspect that the hole to hole spacing was wrong which caused the damper to either bottom out or top out through the stroke and cause excessive stress on the mount. There's not much force on it otherwise.

Errr, Honda installed it.. Bike is a 13’ crf450r, looks a bit odd because I removed it to check the dampening and was holding it up for reference.
The dampener has a race tech gold valve *installed a few years ago by a local race tech dealer, I have it serviced every time I do the forks and rear shock *last being back in July, re-installed, and since then I have about 15 hours on it

|

9/17/2018 1:16 PM

So exactly how old are the clamps..

|

9/17/2018 1:28 PM

I have seen the extact same thing happen with those clamps.

|

Instagram: @motoxeno

Premium Off-Road Products: www.jcrspeedshop.com

9/17/2018 1:36 PM

ferg722 wrote:

Errr, Honda installed it.. Bike is a 13’ crf450r, looks a bit odd because I removed it to check the dampening and was holding it up for reference.
The dampener has a race tech gold valve *installed a few years ago by a local race tech dealer, I have it serviced every time I do the forks and rear shock *last being back in July, re-installed, and since then I have about 15 hours on it

Ah that makes sense, looks like this is an Xtrig issue then. Contact them and hopefully they'll take care of it.

|

Billy Wight
Luxon MX
@LuxonMX
https://luxonmx.com
Motocross Components Engineered for Performance

9/17/2018 1:43 PM

Looking at the bolt, i think its too long. The bolt is full length of the thread, but the thread wont be full thread for all of its depth.

|

9/17/2018 4:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2018 4:41 PM

philG wrote:

Looking at the bolt, i think its too long. The bolt is full length of the thread, but the thread wont be full thread for all of its depth.

I still see two threads at the end of the bolt..that seems to be ok.

Brittle fracture from an overload...meaning it happened suddenly as the fracture surfaces are relatively clean. If it was a gradual break the fracture surfaces would be more dull from wearing on each other.

I would contact x-trig as they may be of some assistance to you.

If they don’t replace take it to a decent welder- easy fix.

|

9/18/2018 4:26 AM

just a thought...
had the damper reached its travel and the steering stop not been engaged?

|