Smooth AMA tracks

txmxer
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 3:13am
Maybe they just look smooth on a 13" B&W TV?

Pala:

Steel City:

Southwick:

'Dilla

'Shougal...maybe a bit smooth...but, hard as a rock under the soft stuff...look at the ridges on the rut:

Millville:

Red Buuuudddd...

Lakewood

Budds:

High Point:

Freestone:

Hangtown:

|
peelout719
9/14/2010 3:59pm
high point was the key factor here.

some brit's have big ol' doubles, but that chick is bangin
BLAHBLAH
9/14/2010 4:33pm
peelout719 wrote:
high point was the key factor here.

some brit's have big ol' doubles, but that chick is bangin
I wish they would take the tarp of the track at high point so I could see the actual terrain...
plowboy
9/14/2010 4:36pm
Tracks have been sooo rough this year...I thought it improved the racin' 100%.
Mstock
9/14/2010 4:39pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2010 4:40pm
Major improvement over past years for sure. Good job MX Sports or whoever is in charge of track prep decisions. It was a great season and all the tracks looked awesome. Put the helmet cam on the frame rails next year to show the world how bad ass those tracks are.

The Shop

txmxer
9/14/2010 4:40pm
plowboy wrote:
Tracks have been sooo rough this year...I thought it improved the racin' 100%.
Huge advantage for rd IMO
plowboy
9/14/2010 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2010 4:50pm
You might be right tx....we damn sure found out who was in shape and can handle a real beatin...(from the track I mean). I do have to say that I have changed my mind completely about the heat though. I was all "old school this and real men that"...but some of the riders that we all know are in awesome shape and tougher than a $2.00 steak went down in that hell at Texas. I'm all for a shorter program or three 15 minute motos or anything to keep from killing one of these kids (when conditions warrant). Just my opinion (which I am apparently not to old to change).
9/14/2010 5:28pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2010 6:20pm
Well, looks like I'm going to be the unbiased guy that quotes you and put's up pics from GP tracks. Give me about an hour. This is more about nothing than it is about proving a point. Since we're on the topic we might as well include it.
Mstock
9/14/2010 5:34pm
Well, looks like I'm going to be the unbiased guy that quotes you and put's up pics from GP tracks. Give me about an hour. This...
Well, looks like I'm going to be the unbiased guy that quotes you and put's up pics from GP tracks. Give me about an hour. This is more about nothing than it is about proving a point. Since we're on the topic we might as well include it.
Um please don't go there. Lierop is the torture chamber of motocross tracks on planet earth. No track in the USA could come close to being a pimple on the ass of that track.
cpj36
9/14/2010 6:17pm
Well, looks like I'm going to be the unbiased guy that quotes you and put's up pics from GP tracks. Give me about an hour. This...
Mstock wrote:
Um please don't go there. Lierop is the torture chamber of motocross tracks on planet earth. No track in the USA could come close to being...
Um please don't go there. Lierop is the torture chamber of motocross tracks on planet earth. No track in the USA could come close to being a pimple on the ass of that track.
Don't you guys have limits on obstacles? Whoops, doubles, etc? I'm wondering how GP tracks help a riders progression while eliminating the most difficult conditions.

Maybe that's why they all want to come do SX, toughest tracks with best competition.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/14/2010 6:26pm
Another Moto myth bites the dust.
DrSweden
9/14/2010 6:34pm
Southwick was actually pretty decent after the end of the day compared to some sand tracks in Europe that seems to have more of "beach sand" quality. The moisture at the Wick seems to be a mixture of clay and sand if I'm not mistaken and not clean offspring of moraine. Seriously the ruts of Lommel och Lierop makes makes the Wick looks like tarmac.

The outcome of that is that I would prefer ride the Wick any day! Smile

Just saying of course.
txmxer
9/14/2010 6:34pm
GuyB wrote:
Another Moto myth bites the dust.
Credit GuyB for all but Red Bud pics. Smile
9/14/2010 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2010 6:36pm
Mstock wrote:
Um please don't go there. Lierop is the torture chamber of motocross tracks on planet earth. No track in the USA could come close to being...
cpj36 wrote:
Don't you guys have limits on obstacles? Whoops, doubles, etc? I'm wondering how GP tracks help a riders progression while eliminating the most difficult conditions. Maybe...
Don't you guys have limits on obstacles? Whoops, doubles, etc? I'm wondering how GP tracks help a riders progression while eliminating the most difficult conditions.

Maybe that's why they all want to come do SX, toughest tracks with best competition.
You guys? You obviously didn't see Fermo this past weekend. It was basically the Vegas SX thrown on to the side of a hill. Blue groove and all. I'm as American as the next guy. I just know good racing when I see it. I don't give a damn what you're last name is, what country you're from, how many championships you had in amateurs or in the pro's or who you ride for. Both series are incredible from a fan standpoint.
txrider44
9/14/2010 6:37pm
Lierop GP

Czech GP

Lommel GP

German GP

Valkenswaard GP

Photos by Jeffro98
9/14/2010 6:37pm
Mstock wrote:
I'm doing this FOR you guys... hints the unbiased-ness since I'm from America.
txmxer
9/14/2010 6:40pm
I am not trying to make a case that AMA tracks are rougher than GP.

Leirop is insane. I've watched a few GPs this year and what I saw was nasty. I think Dungey would look even better on those types of tracks because he is smooth and very strong.
9/14/2010 6:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2010 7:03pm
All of them came up blank and photobucket has turned in to a pile of garbage for me.

RandyS
9/14/2010 6:58pm
Peoria is pretty smooth, the corners get some holes toward the end of the day.

txmxer
9/14/2010 7:00pm
Watching Brazil right now...very man-made and "American" SX style outdoor track.

Looks like a fun track....if you are willing to twist the throttle far enough.
9/14/2010 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2010 8:56pm
At places like Lommel, Lierop, Valkenswaard, Lombardia and Teutschenthal the ruts get so bad in some places it's more like navigating through a mine field rather than going wide open. It also slows down the pace of racing and takes it to a more technical side which I enjoy at times. Especially when a slower rider can stay in front of someone faster just by being "smarter". The ones at Pala were man eaters.
Bellpuig (hard pack)
Bulgaria (hard pack)
Lierop
Loket
Lombardia
Lommel
Teutschenthal
Valkenswaard
JustMX
9/14/2010 7:13pm
RandyS wrote:
Peoria is pretty smooth, the corners get some holes toward the end of the day. [img]http://media.centralillinoisnewscenter.com/images/600*400/peoria_tt_feature_winner.jpg[/img]

LOL

Geez I think you went right over the heads of a lot of those that hang out here.

Hey what kind of camera was that pic taken with?

You can't even tell that the bike has knobbies.
Gaz_b
9/15/2010 9:39am
You guys? You obviously didn't see Fermo this past weekend. It was basically the Vegas SX thrown on to the side of a hill. Blue groove...
You guys? You obviously didn't see Fermo this past weekend. It was basically the Vegas SX thrown on to the side of a hill. Blue groove and all. I'm as American as the next guy. I just know good racing when I see it. I don't give a damn what you're last name is, what country you're from, how many championships you had in amateurs or in the pro's or who you ride for. Both series are incredible from a fan standpoint.
I reckon Fermo would be a good AMA National track. As you say, it was practically a SX circuit on a massive hill, so it would be strangely familiar to the AMA National riders but alot more tricky at the same time.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
9/15/2010 10:12am
RandyS wrote:
Peoria is pretty smooth, the corners get some holes toward the end of the day. [img]http://media.centralillinoisnewscenter.com/images/600*400/peoria_tt_feature_winner.jpg[/img]

That track produces some good racing
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
9/15/2010 10:43am Edited Date/Time 9/15/2010 10:44am
At places like Lommel, Lierop, Valkenswaard, Lombardia and Teutschenthal the ruts get so bad in some places it's more like navigating through a mine field rather...
At places like Lommel, Lierop, Valkenswaard, Lombardia and Teutschenthal the ruts get so bad in some places it's more like navigating through a mine field rather than going wide open. It also slows down the pace of racing and takes it to a more technical side which I enjoy at times. Especially when a slower rider can stay in front of someone faster just by being "smarter". The ones at Pala were man eaters.
Bellpuig (hard pack)
Bulgaria (hard pack)
Lierop
Loket
Lombardia
Lommel
Teutschenthal
Valkenswaard
I think you're missing the point. I can't remember anyone really disparaging classic tracks like Lierop. People have expressed disappointment that some of the classic GP tracks have gone off calendar, but that's an issue here as well, isn't it.

The smooth track issue responds to the nonsense pimped by GP advocates that US tracks are easy and groomed during they while GP tracks are left alone. It's just false, and certainly so at present.

So consider it not an attack on the GP's, but a response to the misapprehension of general fans and a deliberate misinformation campaign to disparage the Nationals.
robkinuk
9/15/2010 11:14am
The track at Fermo last weekend's final Italian GP venue was a revelation. Old school slick hardpack that didn't cut up, but what a layout, all on a very steep hillside. Reminded me of the classic tracks, Ernee France and St Jean d'Angely on Steroids!
9/15/2010 11:16am Edited Date/Time 9/15/2010 11:49am
Oh I know why the thread was created but knowing how misinformed people can be on this site I also wanted the uninformed to know that there are tracks outside the US tour that are rough. With the way some people talk about the GP's, having never watched a season before, it is very easy for some to assume that the GP's have nothing compared to the US stuff if they just read what some put on here. Imagine if you're only impression of a GP track was Fermo? Not rough at all. Slick and technical yes, but rough no.
txmxer
9/15/2010 11:21am
Oh I know why the thread was created but knowing how misinformed people can be on this site I also wanted the uninformed to know that...
Oh I know why the thread was created but knowing how misinformed people can be on this site I also wanted the uninformed to know that there are tracks outside the US tour that are rough. With the way some people talk about the GP's, having never watched a season before, it is very easy for some to assume that the GP's have nothing compared to the US stuff if they just read what some put on here. Imagine if you're only impression of a GP track was Fermo? Not rough at all. Slick and technical yes, but rough no.
The more I watch the GP's, the more excited I am to see these guys race each other at the MXdN.

I really wish we had more opportunities for them to race...not knocking either series, but, I would like to see the most talent pooled onto one track as possible.
9/15/2010 11:43am Edited Date/Time 9/15/2010 11:55am
Oh I know why the thread was created but knowing how misinformed people can be on this site I also wanted the uninformed to know that...
txmxer wrote:
The more I watch the GP's, the more excited I am to see these guys race each other at the MXdN. I really wish we had...
The more I watch the GP's, the more excited I am to see these guys race each other at the MXdN.

I really wish we had more opportunities for them to race...not knocking either series, but, I would like to see the most talent pooled onto one track as possible.
I wouldn't mind a true World MX Series coming along in the next 20 years. Something like Washougal, Unadilla, Millville, Southwick, Red Bud and Freestone (for the heat), a track in central Canada, Lierop, Lommel, St Jean d'Angeley, Teutschenthal, one of the 3-4 good Italian tracks, an Austrlian round, British round at Hawkstone (yea right) or Foxhill and a few more based on demographics. Most riders would have a home race. Some years the countries and tracks might change year to year depending on the popularity of rider and fans. All of the big teams could have a US base and a European base (basiclly combining each brands teams in to one joint team) and going back and forth each continent for testing and racing. Odds are slime to none but combining the fan bases and making it a real best of the best series would put ratings through the roof worldwide (maybe not locally). With the way the two series try and fight each other though I don't ever see a common ground being had.
txmxer
9/15/2010 11:55am
Yeah, it would be fun to see these guys battle it out.

Of course, it may be a grass is greener on the other side kind of deal.

This way we get two series with championship battles, we endless bench racing to BS about, and we have competition between the series. If not for these two top tier series trying to compete for MFR dollars, we might not be getting as much effort to improve the series as we are.

What I've seen of the GP's...gotta say, the energy drink chicks in the US have a pretty big lead on the GP competition right now...They should recruit some of the Formula 1 chicks...

mxgeoff
9/15/2010 12:01pm
Mstock wrote:
cpj36 wrote:
Don't you guys have limits on obstacles? Whoops, doubles, etc? I'm wondering how GP tracks help a riders progression while eliminating the most difficult conditions. Maybe...

You guys? You obviously didn't see Fermo this past weekend. It was basically the Vegas SX thrown on to the side of a hill. Blue groove...
Couldn't have said it better.

Post a reply to: Smooth AMA tracks

The Latest